Mailing List Archive

Callsigns limited to 5 characters ?
Hello,

First, as it is my first message on the list,
congratulations for this very good software.

I have seen that the callsigns displayed on OSD are
truncated to 5 characters (in version 0.8 & current
CVS). This is implemented in libs/libmythtv/osd.cpp.

I guess that 5 letter-callsigns are the norm in the US
TV, but AFAIK there are no such callsigns here in
Europe, so I have to put the channel names in the
"callsign" database column, and these names are
arbitrary truncated on OSD. (There is space enough on
OSD to display more that these 5 characters).

I wonder if this way of hardcoding the 5-character
limit is really necessary, as you can always enter
some short callsigns in the database, if you want to
use this limit. Removing this limitation would allow
us to have better looking long names on the OSD.
What do you think ?

Thanks,
Benoit Marchandise.

___________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!? -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en fran├žais !
Yahoo! Mail : http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
Re: Callsigns limited to 5 characters ? [ In reply to ]
Ben Marchandise wrote:

>AFAIK there are no such callsigns here in
>Europe
>
No cryptic callsigns, no, but the stations tend to have names or abbr.
which are short, though, e.g. ZDF, 3sat, arte, Pro 7, Sat.1, NL1, Kabel
1 etc.

>arbitrary truncated on OSD. (There is space enough on
>OSD to display more that these 5 characters).
>
Yes, I disliked that as well, just remove that left() call (patch for
anybody else wanting that) and you're set, I think.

>I wonder if this way of hardcoding the 5-character
>limit is really necessary, as you can always enter
>some short callsigns in the database, if you want to
>use this limit. Removing this limitation would allow
>us to have better looking long names on the OSD.
>What do you think ?
>
Completely agreed. Using "Kab 1" for "Kabel 1" seems silly and crippled,
if we have such a powerful machine behind it all.
RE: Callsigns limited to 5 characters ? [ In reply to ]
Why not instead of making either option hard coded, make it themeable.
Add an option to the XML for OSD themes which determine how many
characters to display. My OSD doesn't have room for more than 5
letters, so I like it trimmed down.

Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces@snowman.net
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces@snowman.net] On Behalf Of Ben Bucksch
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 12:31 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Callsigns limited to 5 characters ?


Ben Marchandise wrote:

>AFAIK there are no such callsigns here in
>Europe
>
No cryptic callsigns, no, but the stations tend to have names or abbr.
which are short, though, e.g. ZDF, 3sat, arte, Pro 7, Sat.1, NL1, Kabel
1 etc.

>arbitrary truncated on OSD. (There is space enough on
>OSD to display more that these 5 characters).
>
Yes, I disliked that as well, just remove that left() call (patch for
anybody else wanting that) and you're set, I think.

>I wonder if this way of hardcoding the 5-character
>limit is really necessary, as you can always enter
>some short callsigns in the database, if you want to
>use this limit. Removing this limitation would allow
>us to have better looking long names on the OSD.
>What do you think ?
>
Completely agreed. Using "Kab 1" for "Kabel 1" seems silly and crippled,

if we have such a powerful machine behind it all.
Re: Callsigns limited to 5 characters ? [ In reply to ]
The OSD code in cvs was recently modified and the current code
shouldn't even use the "type->SetText(callsign.left(5));" line anymore.
The new code should try to fill in whatever part of the callsign can fit
into the box defined by the theme. The old code is still there because I
haven't removed it yet, but it should be unused.

> Why not instead of making either option hard coded, make it themeable.
> Add an option to the XML for OSD themes which determine how many
> characters to display. My OSD doesn't have room for more than 5
> letters, so I like it trimmed down.

Chris

*****************************************************************************
** Chris Pinkham Linux v2.2.18, Sane v1.0.4, Cajun v3.0-8 **
** cpinkham@bc2va.org http://www.bc2va.org/chris/ **
*****************************************************************************
Re: Callsigns limited to 5 characters ? [ In reply to ]
Great! I've just tried the latest CVS, and it works as
expected.
Thanks, and sorry for this question, which was not
up-to-date.

BM.

--- Chris Pinkham <cpinkham@bc2va.org> wrote :
> The OSD code in cvs was recently modified and the
> current code
> shouldn't even use the
> "type->SetText(callsign.left(5));" line anymore.
> The new code should try to fill in whatever part of
> the callsign can fit
> into the box defined by the theme. The old code is
> still there because I
> haven't removed it yet, but it should be unused.


___________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!? -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en fran├žais !
Yahoo! Mail : http://fr.mail.yahoo.com