Mailing List Archive

It half works!
I'm very pleased to say that this install went with barely a hitch. Two
problems remain:

1. I now have Live TV but it is visibly struggling to keep up when I change
channels. I just tried Recording and Watching a show but it just shows a
static image - being a Windows person, how would I go about figuring out
where the bottleneck/s might be?
To see what my hardware is you can view my blog at
http://mythtv.blogspot.com which also includes my step-by-step install
procedure (if anyone wants to copy it).

2. I have no sound within MythTV - sound works fine if I play a WAV file in
Linux but Myth has nothing going on. I have tested the connection between
my capture card and sound card in a Windows system so I know they work so I
can only assume my BTTV setup isn't quite right.

Thanks,
Alex
Re: It half works! [ In reply to ]
Does your soundcard support full duplex operation?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Davidson" <alexd@synergycsi.com>
To: "Myth TV Users Mailing List" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 4:18 PM
Subject: [mythtv-users] It half works!


> I'm very pleased to say that this install went with barely a hitch. Two
> problems remain:
>
> 1. I now have Live TV but it is visibly struggling to keep up when I
change
> channels. I just tried Recording and Watching a show but it just shows a
> static image - being a Windows person, how would I go about figuring out
> where the bottleneck/s might be?
> To see what my hardware is you can view my blog at
> http://mythtv.blogspot.com which also includes my step-by-step install
> procedure (if anyone wants to copy it).
>
> 2. I have no sound within MythTV - sound works fine if I play a WAV file
in
> Linux but Myth has nothing going on. I have tested the connection between
> my capture card and sound card in a Windows system so I know they work so
I
> can only assume my BTTV setup isn't quite right.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@snowman.net
> http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: It half works! [ In reply to ]
According to http://www.directron.com/sou-sb-16.html it does - does it have
to?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Albert Santoni" <GameGod@sympatico.ca>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] It half works!


> Does your soundcard support full duplex operation?
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Alex Davidson" <alexd@synergycsi.com>
> To: "Myth TV Users Mailing List" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
> Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 4:18 PM
> Subject: [mythtv-users] It half works!
>
>
> > I'm very pleased to say that this install went with barely a hitch. Two
> > problems remain:
> >
> > 1. I now have Live TV but it is visibly struggling to keep up when I
> change
> > channels. I just tried Recording and Watching a show but it just shows
a
> > static image - being a Windows person, how would I go about figuring out
> > where the bottleneck/s might be?
> > To see what my hardware is you can view my blog at
> > http://mythtv.blogspot.com which also includes my step-by-step install
> > procedure (if anyone wants to copy it).
> >
> > 2. I have no sound within MythTV - sound works fine if I play a WAV file
> in
> > Linux but Myth has nothing going on. I have tested the connection
between
> > my capture card and sound card in a Windows system so I know they work
so
> I
> > can only assume my BTTV setup isn't quite right.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > mythtv-users mailing list
> > mythtv-users@snowman.net
> > http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@snowman.net
> http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
Re: It half works! [ In reply to ]
Alex Davidson wrote:
> I'm very pleased to say that this install went with barely a hitch. Two
> problems remain:
>
> 1. I now have Live TV but it is visibly struggling to keep up when I change
> channels. I just tried Recording and Watching a show but it just shows a
> static image - being a Windows person, how would I go about figuring out
> where the bottleneck/s might be?
> To see what my hardware is you can view my blog at
> http://mythtv.blogspot.com which also includes my step-by-step install
> procedure (if anyone wants to copy it).

If I understand you page correctly you have a 500MHz Pentium
III? You would need to lower the resolution from the MythTV
default settings. For tips on finding the resolution that
will work best for you, see:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.4

> 2. I have no sound within MythTV - sound works fine if I play a WAV file in
> Linux but Myth has nothing going on. I have tested the connection between
> my capture card and sound card in a Windows system so I know they work so I
> can only assume my BTTV setup isn't quite right.

This is the most common challange people have when first
using MythTV. You need to verify that your system is recording
your audio then playing back the recorded sound. See:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-18.html#ss18.11

-- bjm
Re: It half works! [ In reply to ]
Yes, it has to be full-duplex, otherwise you'll spend hours trying to fix a
problem that couldn't be fixed (like I did)...

Oh, and by the way, I run a P3-500mhz for my MythTV box, and it's fine. It
can just barely do it, but it's watchable. I use the RTJPEG codec at 304x304
with a quality of 200.

:)

Don't give up hope, if anything, I think there will/should be speed
increases in future releases of MythTV. :)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Davidson" <alexd@synergycsi.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] It half works!


> According to http://www.directron.com/sou-sb-16.html it does - does it
have
> to?
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Albert Santoni" <GameGod@sympatico.ca>
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
> Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 2:32 PM
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] It half works!
>
>
> > Does your soundcard support full duplex operation?
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Alex Davidson" <alexd@synergycsi.com>
> > To: "Myth TV Users Mailing List" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
> > Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 4:18 PM
> > Subject: [mythtv-users] It half works!
> >
> >
> > > I'm very pleased to say that this install went with barely a hitch.
Two
> > > problems remain:
> > >
> > > 1. I now have Live TV but it is visibly struggling to keep up when I
> > change
> > > channels. I just tried Recording and Watching a show but it just
shows
> a
> > > static image - being a Windows person, how would I go about figuring
out
> > > where the bottleneck/s might be?
> > > To see what my hardware is you can view my blog at
> > > http://mythtv.blogspot.com which also includes my step-by-step install
> > > procedure (if anyone wants to copy it).
> > >
> > > 2. I have no sound within MythTV - sound works fine if I play a WAV
file
> > in
> > > Linux but Myth has nothing going on. I have tested the connection
> between
> > > my capture card and sound card in a Windows system so I know they work
> so
> > I
> > > can only assume my BTTV setup isn't quite right.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Alex
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > mythtv-users mailing list
> > > mythtv-users@snowman.net
> > > http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > mythtv-users mailing list
> > mythtv-users@snowman.net
> > http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> >
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@snowman.net
> http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: It half works! [ In reply to ]
As I'm running Red Hat I need to install Alsa manually so I can test my
audio output.

I'm following instructions at:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Creative+
Labs&card=Soundblaster+Vibra16X&chip=sb16&module=sb16
and got as far as running
modprobe snd-sb16;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe
snd-seq-oss
combined with the instructions at:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html
I got as far as running
alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store
which gave me an error:
alsactl: save_state:1050: No soundcards found...

I tried a reboot but on log in it says:
Error while initializing the sound driver
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

If I run alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store again it gives the same error as
before.

/dev/dsp seems to be a symbolic link (correct me if I'm wrong on the
terminology here) to /dev/dsp0. I tried changing security on dsp and dsp0
to open it up as much as possible but that didn't help.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Markey" <bjm@lvcm.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] It half works!
>
> > 2. I have no sound within MythTV - sound works fine if I play a WAV file
in
> > Linux but Myth has nothing going on. I have tested the connection
between
> > my capture card and sound card in a Windows system so I know they work
so I
> > can only assume my BTTV setup isn't quite right.
>
> This is the most common challange people have when first
> using MythTV. You need to verify that your system is recording
> your audio then playing back the recorded sound. See:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-18.html#ss18.11
Re: It half works! [ In reply to ]
Alex Davidson wrote:
...
> alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store
> which gave me an error:
> alsactl: save_state:1050: No soundcards found...
...
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
...

looks like your ALSA drivers may not be loading correctly.

"lsmod" should show stuff like this:

Module Size Used by Not tainted
snd-pcm-oss 39044 0 (autoclean)
snd-mixer-oss 13720 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
r128 80888 1
snd-seq-midi 4096 0 (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event 3336 0 [snd-seq-midi]
snd-seq 37648 0 [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-ens1371 11564 0
snd-pcm 59712 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-ens1371]
snd-timer 14824 0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-page-alloc 5116 0 [snd-pcm]
snd-rawmidi 14016 0 [snd-seq-midi snd-mpu401-uart snd-ens1371]
snd-seq-device 4368 0 [snd-seq-midi snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd-ac97-codec 36864 0 [snd-ens1371]
snd 30756 0 [.snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-midi
snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-mpu401-uart snd-ens1371 snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec]
soundcore 3844 11 [snd]

If not try running this as root:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start

Resolve any errors it reports. When it succeeds, "lsmod"
will show all the "snd-" stuff.

-- bjm