Mailing List Archive

[Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]]
Er, they say 3rd time's a charm. Don't know why it didn't copy last
time but here's what I should've pasted:

Starting program: /download/mythtv-0.8/programs/mythbackend/mythbackend
[New Thread 1086485408 (LWP 5779)]
Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
[New Thread 1098337584 (LWP 5790)]
[New Thread 1106730288 (LWP 5791)]
adding: MythTV as a player 1
adding: MythTV as a player 0
ERROR opening file '/mnt/store//ringbuf1.nuv' in ThreadedFileWriter.
adding: MythTV as a player 0
adding: MythTV as a remote ringbuffer
[New Thread 1116949808 (LWP 5796)]
WARNING: Capture device /dev/dspis not reporting full duplex
capability.
See docs/mythtv-HOWTO, section 17 for more information.

Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
[New Thread 1145974064 (LWP 5797)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 1145974064 (LWP 5797)]
0x4207c45c in memcpy () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0 0x4207c45c in memcpy () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1 0x0808625a in ThreadedFileWriter::Write(void const*, unsigned) (
this=0x82c0df0, data=0x444e26a8, count=72) at RingBuffer.cpp:138
#2 0x08087c86 in RingBuffer::Write(void const*, int) (this=0x82c0df0,
buf=0x444e26a8, count=72) at RingBuffer.cpp:609
#3 0x080b794d in NuppelVideoRecorder::WriteHeader(bool)
(this=0x42935008,
todumpfile=false) at NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp:1168
#4 0x080b7fdc in NuppelVideoRecorder::CreateNuppelFile()
(this=0x42935008)
at NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp:1338
#5 0x080b67b9 in NuppelVideoRecorder::StartRecording()
(this=0x42935008)
at NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp:545
#6 0x08096ee3 in SpawnEncode(void*) (param=0x42935008) at tv_rec.cpp:29
#7 0x408fa332 in start_thread () from /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]] [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 17 April 2003 02:59 pm, alex davidson wrote:
> ERROR opening file '/mnt/store//ringbuf1.nuv' in ThreadedFileWriter.
> WARNING: Capture device /dev/dspis not reporting full duplex
> capability.
> See docs/mythtv-HOWTO, section 17 for more information.

I suppose these two error messages don't mean anything to you?

Isaac
Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]] [ In reply to ]
Hmm - I just created /mnt/store and that fixed it. I must've missed where I
was supposed to create that.

Thanks Isaac.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac Richards" <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]]


> On Thursday 17 April 2003 02:59 pm, alex davidson wrote:
> > ERROR opening file '/mnt/store//ringbuf1.nuv' in ThreadedFileWriter.
> > WARNING: Capture device /dev/dspis not reporting full duplex
> > capability.
> > See docs/mythtv-HOWTO, section 17 for more information.
>
> I suppose these two error messages don't mean anything to you?
>
> Isaac
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@snowman.net
> http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]] [ In reply to ]
Isaac,

I'm a programmer by profession, and I feel so helpless when I write out
upper
case ERROR or WARNING messages and users either miss them, or don't know
what to do so they ignore them. Maybe after compiling Myth they've seen so
many
"Warning" messages that they become immune. Anyway, here's a suggestion...

For the most common messages (and these are two VERY common ones), how about
adding another line or two of output after the error report. For example,
instead of:

ERROR opening file '/mnt/store//ringbuf1.nuv' in ThreadedFileWriter.

say:

ERROR opening file '/mnt/store//ringbuf1.nuv' in ThreadedFileWriter.
Unable to create/write this file. To correct this, please see:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1

or something like that. Even surround it with blank lines, since it _is_ a
fatal error. I know that specific links to the docs is probably
undesirable, but maybe at least we could reference "mythtv.org/docs,
Configuring MythTV". Seems like it should cut down on the most common
repeated errors. I guess in summary, instead of just "programmer debug
output" it should also include "lay translation" and "where to go / what to
do to correct it".

Cheers,
JC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac Richards" <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]]


> On Thursday 17 April 2003 02:59 pm, alex davidson wrote:
> > ERROR opening file '/mnt/store//ringbuf1.nuv' in ThreadedFileWriter.
> > WARNING: Capture device /dev/dspis not reporting full duplex
> > capability.
> > See docs/mythtv-HOWTO, section 17 for more information.
>
> I suppose these two error messages don't mean anything to you?
>
> Isaac
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@snowman.net
> http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]] [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 17 April 2003 04:02 pm, Alex Davidson wrote:
> Hmm - I just created /mnt/store and that fixed it. I must've missed where
> I was supposed to create that.

That would be discussed here:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1

Isaac
Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]] [ In reply to ]
Ah, I had created it as /var/video and skimmed too much. I got a little
confused as to which would be better/default.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac Richards" <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]]


> On Thursday 17 April 2003 04:02 pm, Alex Davidson wrote:
> > Hmm - I just created /mnt/store and that fixed it. I must've missed
where
> > I was supposed to create that.
>
> That would be discussed here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1
>
> Isaac
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@snowman.net
> http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]] [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 17 April 2003 04:09 pm, JC wrote:
> Isaac,
>
> I'm a programmer by profession, and I feel so helpless when I write out
> upper
> case ERROR or WARNING messages and users either miss them, or don't know
> what to do so they ignore them. Maybe after compiling Myth they've seen so
> many
> "Warning" messages that they become immune. Anyway, here's a suggestion...

In current CVS, I have it exiting after that error message, so hopefully
people won't miss it anymore. I've also just added another error and exit if
something's blocking the audio output device from being used, as that seems
to be another big complaint (why does it hang when i go to watch tv?!@?!?).

Isaac
Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]] [ In reply to ]
That should help. Still, an extra "lay translation" will help linux / myth
newbies a lot. "ThreadFileWriter" really doesn't mean much to most people,
and sometimes one more line of error text can relieve a ton of confusion.

Thanks,
JC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac Richards" <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]]


> On Thursday 17 April 2003 04:09 pm, JC wrote:
> > Isaac,
> >
> > I'm a programmer by profession, and I feel so helpless when I write out
> > upper
> > case ERROR or WARNING messages and users either miss them, or don't know
> > what to do so they ignore them. Maybe after compiling Myth they've seen
so
> > many
> > "Warning" messages that they become immune. Anyway, here's a
suggestion...
>
> In current CVS, I have it exiting after that error message, so hopefully
> people won't miss it anymore. I've also just added another error and exit
if
> something's blocking the audio output device from being used, as that
seems
> to be another big complaint (why does it hang when i go to watch
tv?!@?!?).
>
> Isaac
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@snowman.net
> http://lists.snowman.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>