Mailing List Archive

Cool XBox front end topic and front/back end architecture question
Peter,

I had a couple more questions on your awesome setup!

1) How long does it take to install that X-box mod
chip?
2) Can you play DVDs through the Myth interface or do
you have to boot into the Xbox mode?
3) What are the rest of the specs on your backend? How
much did it cost you? (I was originally thinking of
buying an all-in-one Myth box, but for an extra ~$250
(American) I could get an Xbox for the front...!)

This is a question for everyone else: I've been
reading the list for a while and the documentation,
and I'm still not exactly clear on how the front/rear
architecture works. Here's my understanding, let me
know if this is right or wrong:

The front end is basically a dumb GUI interface to the
backend. It has a network connection, and just streams
video over that from the backend. The backend does all
the scheduling, recording, storage and listens for
commands (like play, schedule, etc.) from the front
end. Is that correct?

And if so, what is the benefit to having this
architecture? Seems like it's just more complicated
and expensive. I can see that you can have a quieter
front end. I could also see it being useful for people
with many TVs who want more then one front end. (But
even then you could use the server as a front end in
one location, right?)

I've basically just got one TV though, so is there any
reason to use a front/back end architecture? (Besides
the advantage of not having to worry about making your
powerful box stylish and quiet!) I'm in the middle of
trying to design the dedicated box and I'm trying to
figure out what I need. Thanks!

- Jason

http://tax.yahoo.com
Re: Cool XBox front end topic and front/back end architecture question [ In reply to ]
> And if so, what is the benefit to having this
> architecture? Seems like it's just more complicated
> and expensive. I can see that you can have a quieter
> front end. I could also see it being useful for people
> with many TVs who want more then one front end. (But
> even then you could use the server as a front end in
> one location, right?)

The split allows mythtv to be more scaleable since the encode and decode
don't have to be using processor resources on the same machine. In
addition the recent cvs supports multiple back end servers so
theoretically it's possible to run a multiple back end mythtv system with
more tv tuner cards than any single PC system could handle.
RE: Cool Xbox front end topic and front/back end architecture question [ In reply to ]
1)Xbox mods are of moderate difficulty to install. www.xbox-scene.com has
heaps of good tutorials that would give you some indication of how hard.
Took me about 2hours first time. Then about 4 hours to work out that one of
my connections was loose, which a quick re-solder fixed.

2)I currently have to boot into the Xbox mode for DVD playback, but any
Linux DVD player should work, but I haven't tried any yet.

3)My backend was made form bits and pieces I had lying around. (45gig HD,
384MB Ram) No idea how much it cost.

Split backend to frontend is almost certainly going to cost you more.

For me the reasons the XBOX is great frontend are:
1) I already had the XBOX (so cost was zero)
2) I have had nothing but trouble getting decent TV-out from Video Cards
over the last 3-4 years, so the Xbox's tvout solved that issue for me too.
(ATI tv-out I was happy with under Windows, too difficult under Linux)
3) Here in Aus decent looking Case's cost about the half the price of an
Xbox.
4) The Xbox is very quiet, small and looks OK.
5) I like mucking around with Gadgets.