Mailing List Archive

Playback Quality Question
I havent been using MythTV long but I just had a quick question about
what kind of encoding power I should be able to squeak out of my
machine compared to what I am currently getting. I have a P4 1.6a ghz
cpu w/512mb ram, 7200rpm hard drive, DMA enabled, ATI TV Wonder, with
gbuffers set to 32 in modules.conf, screen quality is 16m colors at
640x480, and its running on a VIA chipset motherboard.

My machine can do live tv and regular record/playback at the default
MPEG4 480x480. However, as soon as I jump it up to 512x480 or 544x480
it jumps every so often. Thats the only way I can describe it, like
the picture freezes for a split second and the sound skips. So, I
currently have it set at 496x432 at 4406 bitrate, max quality 2, min
quality 10, max diff 2. This gives a clearer picture than regular
480x480 as it appeared to give a motion blur at certain points of fast
movement. However, with this at some points it seems like it drops a
frame or two, noticable when people are walking because they almost
skip. Its a lot less noticable than 480x480s motion blur, but still
there.

Just was wondering what everyone else was getting with this speed or
similar processor. What should I be able to get, and what suggestions
if any does anyone have to speed things up a bit. I was considering
trying gbuffers=64 in modules.conf perhaps that would fix something.
Otherwise I dont know what else I could try. Thanks.

By the way, love MythTV, perfect TiVo replacement. Was getting sick of
all the ways tivo was trying to infiltrate my tv with commercials and
advertisements. Lot better with myth, and a lot more features.

Thanks again...
-Derek
Re: Playback Quality Question [ In reply to ]
> Just was wondering what everyone else was getting with this speed or
> similar processor. What should I be able to get, and what suggestions
> if any does anyone have to speed things up a bit. I was considering
> trying gbuffers=64 in modules.conf perhaps that would fix something.
> Otherwise I dont know what else I could try. Thanks.

First off if you are using KDE or Gnome, then try killing xdm, etc. Create
the .twmrc from the contrib folder as shown and startx up with fwmrc. This
for me gives about 10-15% more resources to use with mythtv.

For example on my dual 933Mhz machine, video skips at 576x576 under kde, but
appears to be almost skip free under fwmrc.