Mailing List Archive

[OT] DISH network lircd.conf with all buttons, discrete power, and 16 codes
Back in April, Endaf Jones posted a lircd.conf and information about the
DISH network remote control command set (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/196566#196566 ). I
finally got a chance to play with it (thanks to some motivation from
John-Paul Durrieu), "finalize" it, and switch over to using it. It's
definitely the best config I've seen for DISH. (So, thanks, Endaf.)

Attached is the (compressed) lircd.conf file for users of DISH network
receivers (at least those with the blue buttons, including the 2700,
4700, 49xx, 50xx and 31x series). The file contains definitions for
pretty much all the buttons, has discrete power signals (power_on and
power_off in addition to the power toggle), and has definitions for all
16 remote codes.

The config contains definitions for 17 remotes. Sixteen of the remotes
are named "dish#" where the hash/pound/number sign ("#") is the code
number from 1 through 16. There is also a remote called "dish" (without
a number), for users with only one receiver, that uses remote code 1
(DISH's default), just like "dish1".

If using the discrete power_on button, I recommend you do not include it
in a channel change script. If the receiver is, in fact, off, it will
not receive/process additional commands after the "power_on" until it
has finished booting. Therefore, if you do most of your recording
during primetime, you could set up a daily cron job to send a "power_on"
a few minutes before primetime begins. (More frequent cron jobs
probably wouldn't hurt, either--like one at 27,57 minutes or
something--but I can't say for sure as I just started using the config.)

(I also forwarded a copy of the config file to the LIRC list for
inclusion in their "supported remote controls" section. I took Endaf's
comment, "I should email this to the LIRC author to include in his
package," as permission to do so. :)

Mike
Re: [OT] DISH network lircd.conf with all buttons, discrete power, and 16 codes [ In reply to ]
On 10/25/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Back in April, Endaf Jones posted a lircd.conf and information about the
> DISH network remote control command set (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/196566#196566 ). I
> finally got a chance to play with it (thanks to some motivation from
> John-Paul Durrieu), "finalize" it, and switch over to using it. It's
> definitely the best config I've seen for DISH. (So, thanks, Endaf.)

...SNIP...

> (I also forwarded a copy of the config file to the LIRC list for
> inclusion in their "supported remote controls" section. I took Endaf's
> comment, "I should email this to the LIRC author to include in his
> package," as permission to do so. :)

Thanks Michael for completing this. I unfortunately hadn't had the
time needed to add the finishing touches and prepare it for LIRC
submission. With these additions, it looks good!

There was a lot of reverse engineering and research into how Echostar
did their IR's. This configuration will also work with a lot of Bell
ExpressVu receivers used in Canada (3100, 51xx at least).

# Endaf
Re: [OT] DISH network lircd.conf with all buttons, discrete power, and 16 codes [ In reply to ]
> Attached is the (compressed) lircd.conf file for users of DISH network
> receivers (at least those with the blue buttons, including the 2700,
> 4700, 49xx, 50xx and 31x series).

Rock on! Much better than I've seen before. Thanks to both of you!!

> If using the discrete power_on button, I recommend you do not include it
> in a channel change script. If the receiver is, in fact, off, it will
> not receive/process additional commands after the "power_on" until it
> has finished booting. Therefore, if you do most of your recording

You must have been thinking exactly what I was thinking when starting
to read your post and discover that there are discrete on/off codes,
and that being I could keep my box off when not needed.

Here's the real question and motivation to keep it off. Dish tells me
it has to be off (at night?) to receive the "updates". Is it important
to get these updates? My dish box is always on, has been for like 10
months.

-Kenneth
Re: [OT] DISH network lircd.conf with all buttons, discrete power, and 16 codes [ In reply to ]
At 10:59 PM -0400 10/25/06, Maverick wrote:
>Here's the real question and motivation to keep it off. Dish tells me
>it has to be off (at night?) to receive the "updates". Is it important
>to get these updates? My dish box is always on, has been for like 10
>months.

For what it's worth, I almost never turn my receivers off, and they
*do* get the updates. I think what happens is that they get
downloaded regardless of the power state, and if you eventually turn
the box off the update is then installed and becomes active.

This is how they added an annoying screen saver (what they call
"automatic power off") option that I had to go in and disable.
--
Dan Wilga "Ook."
Re: [OT] DISH network lircd.conf with all buttons, discrete power, and 16 codes [ In reply to ]
On 10/26/06 09:17, Dan Wilga wrote:

>At 10:59 PM -0400 10/25/06, Maverick wrote:
>

>>Here's the real question and motivation to keep it off. Dish tells me
>>it has to be off (at night?) to receive the "updates". Is it important
>>to get these updates? My dish box is always on, has been for like 10
>>months.
>>

>For what it's worth, I almost never turn my receivers off, and they
>*do* get the updates. I think what happens is that they get
>downloaded regardless of the power state, and if you eventually turn
>the box off the update is then installed and becomes active.
>
>This is how they added an annoying screen saver (what they call
>"automatic power off") option that I had to go in and disable.

I think the main reason they want you to turn it off overnight is to
allow your receiver to phone home and upload your pay-per-view purchases
so they can charge you as soon as possible.

However, I will admit that I have to reboot my receivers at least once
every 45 days or so or it outputs a bad signal (using S-Video). Funny
thing is that my Myth box will run fine for longer than that without
rebooting.

Mike
Re: [OT] DISH network lircd.conf with all buttons, discrete power, and 16 codes [ In reply to ]
> This is how they added an annoying screen saver (what they call
> "automatic power off") option that I had to go in and disable.

Interesting, I haven't run into that yet...

As for pay per view, don't ever order any of that so I guess it
doesn't matter for me...

Thanks for the replies,
-Kenneth
Re: [OT] DISH network lircd.conf with all buttons, discrete power, and 16 codes [ In reply to ]
On 10/25/06 21:33, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> a lircd.conf and information about the DISH network remote control
> command set

Now available at a wiki near you:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration

Mike