Mailing List Archive

Using mythtv and PVR-350 to capture from video camera
Hi,
The PVR-350 has svideo and composite inputs. Is there a way to set up
mythtv to be able to capture from these sources, and hook up my video
camera to use the PVR-350 to convert to mpeg2?

Thanks
Jason
Re: Using mythtv and PVR-350 to capture from video camera [ In reply to ]
On 10/24/06 21:51, Jason Surprise wrote:

>The PVR-350 has svideo and composite inputs. Is there a way to set up
>mythtv to be able to capture from these sources, and hook up my video
>camera to use the PVR-350 to convert to mpeg2?

Shut down mythfrontend and mythbackend. Run mythtv-setup.

In "Video Sources", create a new video source (i.e. "VCR" or "Digital
Video Camera" or "External" or whatever--just make sure you give it a
name). For the grabber, select, "No grabber." Select "Finish". Hit
Escape to go back to the menu.

In "Channels", create a new channel. Give it a name (like "VCR" or
"Camera" or "External" or ...) and a unique channel number (one that
doesn't yet exist on your system) and callsign ("VCR", "Cam", "Ext",
"Other Stuff", ...). Select the video source you just created. While
you're at it, you'll probably want to mark the channel as commercial
free (depends on your home movies, I guess :). Select "Next." Do /not/
change the "Frequency or Channel" field--it should be exactly the same
as the channel number you specified previously. Select "Finish". Hit
Escape to go back to the menu.

In "Input Connections", associate the new source to the appropriate
input. Set the "External channel change command" to "/bin/true" (no
quotes). Do /not/ fill in a value for "Preset tuner to channel", do
/not/ "Scan for channels" or "Fetch channels from listings source".
Ensure the channel you just created is selected as the starting
channel. Select "Finish". Hit Escape to go back to the menu.

Exit mythtv-setup. You'll be told to run mythfilldatabase, but--since
your new source uses "No grabber", it's unnecessary. So, start up
mythbackend and mythfrontend. Then, create manual recording schedules
to record from your camera.

What? Manual recording schedules?

Yep.

Using manual recording schedules is not ideal because it's
non-interactive (as a PVR should be). So, when creating a manual
recording, you'll be able to specify a name (which is good), but you
must specify a start time and an end time (which isn't so good).
Therefore, you have to guess the content's length and specify a
longer-than-the-content recording time to allow for starting the video
sometime after the recording starts and ensuring it ends sometime before
the recording stops.

Note, though, that if you start watching LiveTV and hit record, Myth
will create a 30-minute manual recording starting at the time you press
record. If you need to extend the recording time, you will have to exit
LiveTV and modify the end time on the in-progress recording before the
recording finishes. Also, recordings made on "channels" with no guide
data will get terrible names if recorded from LiveTV with the record
button, so manual recordings--which allow specifying names for the
recordings--are much more appropriate.

If you just "watch" LiveTV to do the recordings, Myth will in fact
record input; however, you'll encounter similar issues as with the
record button. Since you have no guide data, the recordings will have
terrible names and will be broken into 30-minute segments. I think with
LiveTV, though, the first segment breaks on the half-hour--i.e. at the
top of or half-past an hour on the clock, regardless of when you started
watching LiveTV, so the first segment will be less than 30 minutes
long. Note, also, that it's critical that you change the recording
group from LiveTV to something else if you record the video this
way--otherwise, the recording will be autoexpired "tomorrow."

So, basically, although you can do as you asked, doing so is probably
not what you want because Myth was designed as a PVR, not as an
interactive recording application. Therefore, it may actually make a
lot more sense to just find a time when a capture card isn't in use and
use "dd if=/dev/video4 of=/home/me/MySummerVacation.mpg". (This example
shows using capture card 5 because it's the least likely to be used for
recordings. If you only have 1 card, use "/dev/video0", or with 2 cards
use "/dev/video1", or ...) Note, though, that with this approach,
you'll have to run the appropriate ivtvctl commands to set the format,
resolution, and input before using dd to capture.

Something like:

ivtvctl -u 0x3000
ivtvctl -p 6
ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480
dd if=/dev/video4 of=/home/me/MySummerVacation.mpg

Should do. Submit the last command--the dd command--when you're ready
to start recording. Then, when finished, use Ctrl-C to stop the
recording (you may want to record a few seconds longer than necessary so
you can clean up the end of the recording with an MPEG editor).

Mike
Re: Using mythtv and PVR-350 to capture from video camera [ In reply to ]
| On 10/24/06 21:51, Jason Surprise wrote:
|
| > The PVR-350 has svideo and composite inputs. Is there a way to set up
| > mythtv to be able to capture from these sources, and hook up my video
| > camera to use the PVR-350 to convert to mpeg2?

This is exactly what I want to do with my video camera and the PVR-350.

| Shut down mythfrontend and mythbackend. Run mythtv-setup.

Done.

| In "Video Sources", create a new video source (i.e. "VCR" or "Digital
| Video Camera" or "External" or whatever--just make sure you give it a
| name). For the grabber, select, "No grabber." Select "Finish". Hit
| Escape to go back to the menu.

But I don't see a "No grabber" option.

I see -

XMLTV listings grabber:
North America (DataDirect)
Transmitted guide only (EIT)
Germany (tvtoday)
Sweden (tv.swedb.se)
Norway
United Kingdom (alternative)
Australia
Finland
Spain
Holland
Denmark
France
Japan
Portugal
Estonia
Belgium (Dutch)
Belgium (French)
Iceland
Brazil
Czech Republic

That is all. What should I select?
Re: Using mythtv and PVR-350 to capture from video camera [ In reply to ]
On 01/02/2007 02:23 PM, R wrote:
> But I don't see a "No grabber" option.

0.20+

Mike
Re: Using mythtv and PVR-350 to capture from video camera [ In reply to ]
On 1/2/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 01/02/2007 02:23 PM, R wrote:
> > But I don't see a "No grabber" option.
> >
> 0.20+
>
> Mike

Is there any other way to capture my camcorder's video stream on the PVR-350 ?
The coaxial input is being used by my Comcast Cable.
Re: Using mythtv and PVR-350 to capture from video camera [ In reply to ]
On 01/02/2007 05:39 PM, R wrote:
> On 1/2/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/2007 02:23 PM, R wrote:
>>
>>> But I don't see a "No grabber" option.
>>>

>> 0.20+
> Is there any other way to capture my camcorder's video stream on the PVR-350 ?
> The coaxial input is being used by my Comcast Cable.

The more appropriate way (than MythTV--a scheduling PVR) is using
something (immediate) like dd after configuring the card with ivtvctl.
For more, see the ivtv lists/archives. There may also be other "fancy"
GUI type programs that will work, though, but I haven't used any.

Mike
Re: Using mythtv and PVR-350 to capture from video camera [ In reply to ]
On 1/3/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 01/02/2007 05:39 PM, R wrote:

> >> 0.20+
> > Is there any other way to capture my camcorder's video stream on the PVR-350 ?
> > The coaxial input is being used by my Comcast Cable.
>
> The more appropriate way (than MythTV--a scheduling PVR) is using
> something (immediate) like dd after configuring the card with ivtvctl.
> For more, see the ivtv lists/archives. There may also be other "fancy"
> GUI type programs that will work, though, but I haven't used any.
>
> Mike

Mike, I appreciate your advice.

Sorry, I should have been more specific when I asked - Is
there any other way to capture my camcorder's video stream
on the PVR-350 ?

My goal = On the PVR-350, I would like to grab:
The video stream on S-Video.
The audio stream on Line-In.

Then "merge" them into my existing MythTV channel lineup
as the new channel nnn.

This video/audio stream could be any one of the following:
1. the feed from my camcorder
2. the feed from any camcorder that my relatives bring over
3. the feed from from the home security system
4. The feed from the baby monitor

Then from ANY of my MythTV frontend systems, I could view
this channel. (So I don't care about recording this feed.)
Keeping it within the MythTV system provides seamless
access to this new channel.

Your detailed suggestion on Oct 25, 2006:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/232857#232857
describes how to accomplish this and record.

According to /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
I am running mythbackend version: 0.19.20060121-2

Given that the "No grabber" option is available only 0.20+
Your other suggestion on May 15, 2006:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/203993#203993
indicates a work-around for 0.19 or 0.19-fixes.

Am I on the right track?

If I follow your May 15, 2006 suggestion, will I be able to
proceed with the rest of your Oct 25, 2006 suggestion and
accomplish my goal?

Thanks.
Re: Using mythtv and PVR-350 to capture from video camera [ In reply to ]
Mike, I got it working.

Following instructions in 2 of your postings:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/232857#232857
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/203993#203993

I did the following to get my camcorder output
into my PVR-350's S-Video:

Begin Quote from posting 1...............................

Shut down mythfrontend and mythbackend. Run mythtv-setup.

In "Video Sources", create a new video source (i.e. "VCR"
or "Digital Video Camera" or "External" or whatever--just
make sure you give it a name). For the grabber, select,
"No grabber." Select "Finish". Hit Escape to go back to
the menu.

.............................................. End Quote

But since I am running mythbackend version: 0.19.20060121-2
there I cannot see a "No grabber" option so I selected
"DataDirect" as the grabber, for the moment.

Then in the Input Connections screen I assigned SVideo0
to the Video Source I created above, clicked on Finish
and hit Esc to exit.

There was no reason to run mythfilldatabase because I
will be replacing "DataDirect" in the grabber.

I exited mythtv-setup and moved on to mysql.

### Get in mysql:
mysql -u YOUR_MYSQL_ID_GOES_HERE -p

### Specify the database:
use mythconverg;

### Look and identify the sourceid:
select * from videosource;

### My sourceid was 2, so I used that to set the xmltvgrabber and
useeit fields:
UPDATE videosource SET xmltvgrabber ='/bin/true', useeit = 0
WHERE sourceid = 2;

### Verify that the update was done:
select * from videosource;

### Just looking at my existing channel list:
select * from channel;

### Make a new (unique) channel for this new S-Video feed:
INSERT channel SET chanid = 2099, channum = 99, sourceid = 2,
callsign = "Svideo", name = "Svideo" ;

### The new channel 99 should be in the list, probably at the bottom:
select * from channel;

### Get out of mysql:
quit

### You could restart the backend. I just did a reboot.

### In any of my frontends, I go to channel 99 and there is my S-Video feed!