from a broadcast-network affiliate shoud be
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/175520#175520>).
This leads me to think that perhaps the issue I describe in SVN ticket
#1941 (<URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1941>), which still
exists in 0.20 but heretofore only affected premium-movie channels, is
at work here. I have not seen this issue with any other NBC shows or
other broadcast networks' shows.

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US
Re: Odd elapsed-recording times for NBC's _Studio 60_ [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> Is there a way to figure out whether NBC is using an odd framerate for
> _Studio 60_?
>
> When watching a recording of the pilot episode of NBC's _Studio 60 on
> the Sunset Strip_ that aired on Monday, 18 September, I noticed that
> the OSD displayed the recording length as about 50 minutes for what
> is, of course, an hour-long show.

I've noticed this too for some HD recordings from CBS ("Smith"). The length was
shown as 53 minutes but there didn't seem to be any missing content.

> At the time I was experimenting with using NFS to mount my NAS's filesystem,
> and dismissed the odd result as a result of the same
> frame-dropping/recording-corrupting issue that caused me to abandon NFS in the
> first place
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/169825#169825>).
>
> However--having since returned to using CIFS to mount the NAS--playing
> the second episode's recording results in the OSD showing a
> total-recording length of 51 minutes. The recording is intact and is
> 7.3GB in size, exactly in line with what an hour-long HD recording
> from a broadcast-network affiliate shoud be
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/175520#175520>).
> This leads me to think that perhaps the issue I describe in SVN ticket
> #1941 (<URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1941>),

Seems like a reasonable match to me.

Daniel

Re: Odd elapsed-recording times for NBC's _Studio 60_ [ In reply to ]
I have noticed that when I play a recorded show using vlc (in other words
playing the file directly from disk not through the client) that it
frequently reports that my recordings are shorter than they really are.

On 9/27/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to figure out whether NBC is using an odd framerate for
> _Studio 60_?
>
> When watching a recording of the pilot episode of NBC's _Studio 60 on
> the Sunset Strip_ that aired on Monday, 18 September, I noticed that
> the OSD displayed the recording length as about 50 minutes for what
> is, of course, an hour-long show. At the time I was experimenting with
> using NFS to mount my NAS's filesystem, and dismissed the odd result
> as a result of the same frame-dropping/recording-corrupting issue that
> caused me to abandon NFS in the first place
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/169825#169825>).
>
> However--having since returned to using CIFS to mount the NAS--playing
> the second episode's recording results in the OSD showing a
> total-recording length of 51 minutes. The recording is intact and is
> 7.3GB in size, exactly in line with what an hour-long HD recording
> from a broadcast-network affiliate shoud be
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/175520#175520>).
> This leads me to think that perhaps the issue I describe in SVN ticket
> #1941 (<URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1941>), which still
> exists in 0.20 but heretofore only affected premium-movie channels, is
> at work here. I have not seen this issue with any other NBC shows or
> other broadcast networks' shows.
>
> --
> Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US

Christopher Moewes-Bystrom
www.moewes.com
chris.moewes@gmail.com
Re: Odd elapsed-recording times for NBC's _Studio 60_ [ In reply to ]

y> Is there a way to figure out whether NBC is using an odd framerate for
y> _Studio 60_?

y> When watching a recording of the pilot episode of NBC's _Studio 60 on
y> the Sunset Strip_ that aired on Monday, 18 September, I noticed that
y> the OSD displayed the recording length as about 50 minutes for what
y> is, of course, an hour-long show.[...]

I am in the SF Bay Area and I have seen this on all of NBC's
HD shows (but not upconverted SD ones). I don't believe this is a
network-wide issue since it only started happening when the local
affiliate (KNTV) switched to a more advanced encoder months ago:

(The improvement in quality was noticeable.)

Seeking, bookmarking, and commflagging still work fine,
though.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
Re: Odd elapsed-recording times for NBC's _Studio 60_ [ In reply to ]
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. <gtgj@pacbell.net> says:
> I am in the SF Bay Area and I have seen this on all of NBC's
> HD shows (but not upconverted SD ones). I don't believe this is a
> network-wide issue since it only started happening when the local
> affiliate (KNTV) switched to a more advanced encoder months ago:

I am in San Francisco. Given that elapsed times for neither Leno nor
Conan--both videotaped--has changed in the past month, it's not
surprising that the filmed _Studio 60_ would be the first in which
I've noticed the results of the new encoder. More evidence that this
is bug #1941 in action. (Someone else subsequently marked my ticket as
a duplicate of #799, but I think the two are separate; in fact, I
think I'll take this as an excuse to reopen the ticket. Having others
raise the issue on SVN as well will probably help to speed its
resolution.)

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> | +1 650 776 7763 | San Francisco CA US
Re: Odd elapsed-recording times for NBC's _Studio 60_ [ In reply to ]

y> I am in San Francisco. Given that elapsed times for neither Leno nor
y> Conan--both videotaped--has changed in the past month, it's not
y> surprising that the filmed _Studio 60_ would be the first in which
y> I've noticed the results of the new encoder. More evidence that this
y> is bug #1941 in action.

I don't think it's related to film vs. videotape -- I also
see the problem on "The Today Show" (which became HD recently).
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.