Mailing List Archive

Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade
I've just upgraded to 0.20 (yum update myth\*) and everything so far looks ok
(with some noticeable improvements) except for one thing - the GUI colours
are all wrong. TV playback is fine, as is the OSD, and the weirder thing is
that if I Alt-Tab so that Myth is no longer the foreground application, the colours
correct themselves.

On the recordings page, the preview window is also wrong, but full-screen
playback is fine.

I've tried changing themes, and fiddling with various other settings to
no avail. Some themes are very hard to read because of the strange colours.

The frontend is a Compaq Deskpro with i815 on-board graphics, driving an
LCD TV via the VGA connector. Xorg driver is i810.
The OS is FC4. All was fine with 0.19, and I
upgraded nothing except the myth packages themselves.

Does anyone have any clues as to what might be wrong?

TIA, Clyde

Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
On 13/09/06, Clyde Stubbs <clyde@htsoft.com> wrote:

> I've just upgraded to 0.20 (yum update myth\*) and everything so far looks
> ok
> (with some noticeable improvements) except for one thing - the GUI colours
> are all wrong. TV playback is fine, as is the OSD, and the weirder thing
> is
> that if I Alt-Tab so that Myth is no longer the foreground application,
> the colours
> correct themselves.
>
> On the recordings page, the preview window is also wrong, but full-screen
> playback is fine.
>
> I've tried changing themes, and fiddling with various other settings to
> no avail. Some themes are very hard to read because of the strange
> colours.
>
> The frontend is a Compaq Deskpro with i815 on-board graphics, driving an
> LCD TV via the VGA connector. Xorg driver is i810.
> The OS is FC4. All was fine with 0.19, and I
> upgraded nothing except the myth packages themselves.
>
> Does anyone have any clues as to what might be wrong?
>
> TIA, Clyde

I'm having similar issues with colors, but only in the popup boxes, for
example the PIN and mythwelcome menu are now both bright green??

It may just be the theme I've been working with, so I'll change to one of
the standard ones tonight and update.
Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
I am having the same problem as well. However in my case if I exit Myth the session bombs and I am taken to a login screen.  Have you tried exiting Myth ? does it exit ok in your case.  The two issues may be unrelated. Thanks
Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
On 09/13/06 05:17, Roy Lofthouse wrote:

> I'm having similar issues with colors, but only in the popup boxes,
> for example the PIN and mythwelcome menu are now both bright green??
>
> It may just be the theme I've been working with, so I'll change to one
> of the standard ones tonight and update.

Is it just like one button having a different color or something? If
so, there's a good chance you have your mouse cursor placed directly in
the place the button appears. If you move the mouse cursor, does it go
away?

Mike
Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 01:58:01PM +0000, jphughes@optonline.net wrote:
> I am having the same problem as well. However in my case if I exit Myth the session bombs and I am taken to a login screen.  Have you tried exiting Myth ? does it exit ok in your case.  The two issues may be unrelated. Thanks

Yes, exiting Myth is fine. Generally speaking, everything is working, just the
GUI colours are weird.

I tried updating again (atrpms had yet another build) but that made no difference
to the colours, but introduced slight gaps in both the audio and video when
watching tv or recordings, so I dropped back to the previous build
(mythtv-0.20-133.fc4.at and friends.)

Clyde

Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
It would appear that my qtlook.txt had changed (not sure how this has
happened). I replaced it with one from the default theme folder and all my
menus are now ok.
Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
I'm having this same issue after upgrading from 0.18 to 0.20. I see that
qtlook.txt is located in each theme folder. Do I replace them all with the
qtlook.txt from my default theme folder?

Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
On 18/09/06, David W Davis <davidw.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having this same issue after upgrading from 0.18 to 0.20. I see that
> qtlook.txt is located in each theme folder. Do I replace them all with
> the qtlook.txt from my default theme folder?
>

> On 9/15/06, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It would appear that my qtlook.txt had changed (not sure how this has
> happened). I replaced it with one from the default theme folder and all my
> menus are now ok.

> This was only affecting one theme for me ,so I just replaced that instance
of qtlook.txt...
Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
All my themes seem to be messed up. Colors are extremely high contrast and
neon. Using alt-tab to switch applications doesn't appear to do anything.
I've tried changing some apearance settings and that doesn't help either.
Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions on what to look at?

Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
Well, in the process of messing with OpenGL transitions and ensuring the
nvidia driver was loading, this has been resolved.

Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
Strangely, I ran across a solution posted in the -dev list a while
back and the person uninstalled, and re-installed their nvidia driver.
I tried it, and it *worked* for me.

Good Luck.

--
John Sturgeon <><

Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 05:12:23PM -0700, john sturgeon wrote:
> Strangely, I ran across a solution posted in the -dev list a while
> back and the person uninstalled, and re-installed their nvidia driver.

Well, I don't have an nvidia driver, since my graphics is an embedded I815,
but the problem spontaneously went away yesterday. Mythfrontend crashed,
I restarted it and the problem was gone. Weird.

> On 9/18/06, David W Davis <davidw.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > All my themes seem to be messed up. Colors are extremely high contrast and
> > neon. Using alt-tab to switch applications doesn't appear to do anything.
> > I've tried changing some apearance settings and that doesn't help either.
> > Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions on what to look at?

> > that qtlook.txt is located in each theme folder. Do I replace them all with
> > the qtlook.txt from my default theme folder?

> > happened). I replaced it with one from the default theme folder and all my
> > menus are now ok.

> > > This was only affecting one theme for me ,so I just replaced that instance
> > of qtlook.txt...

Clyde Stubbs, HI-TECH Software | Phone Fax
Email: clyde@htsoft.com | USA: (408) 490 2885 (408) 490 2885
WWW: http://www.htsoft.com/ | AUS: +61 7 3722 7777 +61 7 3722 7778
Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I have just upgraded to .20 and also see these odd colours. Lost of
oranges and yellows, making the GUI really difficult to see. If I switch
to (ie) terminal window it all goes normal. Tried in a window and
different themes. This is the backend machine and the graphics card is a
pants old Nvidia but I am worried about other machines....

Has anyone found a way around this yet?

:(

Alan

Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
On 09/21/06 16:24, AlanM wrote:

>I have just upgraded to .20 and also see these odd colours. Lost of
>oranges and yellows, making the GUI really difficult to see. If I switch
>to (ie) terminal window it all goes normal. Tried in a window and
>different themes. This is the backend machine and the graphics card is a
>pants old Nvidia but I am worried about other machines....
>
>Has anyone found a way around this yet?

The post /immediately/ after the one to which you replied:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/224512#224512

Mike

Re: Weird GUI colours after 0.20 upgrade [ In reply to ]
Doh! How did I miss that? I blame Outlook (even through I use Thunderbird)

Tried the alternative qtlook.txt and playing around with the driver and
it made no difference. I am going to try a better card, and am pretty
confident that will be OK. The front ends upgraded fine :)

Alan :)