Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Patrick
Re: Stability problems when watching live tv [ In reply to ]
> Here is a rundown of my current hardware:
> ECS K7S5A motherboard
> AMD XP 2100+
> Sound Blaster 16 PCI
> Voodoo Banshee AGP
> 60G WD hard drive

> I even tried updating my kernel to 2.4.20 with the lastest bttv
> drivers, to no avail. I LOVE MythTV when my hardware lets it run.

I'd check the X drivers for the video card... try some other card for a while if you can, it might help.

Check system temperatures, the XP2100+ is quite a hot chip, if it gets too hot the mobo might be shutting down itself to protect the CPU.

Does it crash in regular usage? Does it crash if you run Seti@Home (or similar, CPU-eating distributed program)

That's what I'd start with.

Pete
Re: Stability problems when watching live tv [ In reply to ]
i also have the same problem. after a few minutes watching live tv.. even
directly with xawtv my system hangs...

hardware..
MSI P4 moterbord
p4 1.7
soundblaster live
msi geforce 3
2 hd 30GB
pinnacle pctv pro tvcarte

use redhat 8.0 with custom build kernel 2.4.20 with bttv *.105

i already tried removing the xawtv rpm and installed the latest xawtv from
source availeble at bytesex

please help

Quoting Patrick Benton <patrickb@umich.edu>:

> I am running the latest CVS MythTV with Redhat 8.0. I have followed
> the Myth docs and everything installs and works fine, except after
> watching live TV for about 10-15 minutes, my system will hang. After
> about a couple of days, it will eventually hang when just recording.
>
> I was originally using on-board sound (SiS 7012) with ALSA 9rc6, but
> then I started fresh with a Sound Blaster 16 PCI with ALSA 9rc6. It
> made no difference.
>
> Here is a rundown of my current hardware:
> ECS K7S5A motherboard
> AMD XP 2100+
> Sound Blaster 16 PCI
> Voodoo Banshee AGP
> 60G WD hard drive
>
> I even tried updating my kernel to 2.4.20 with the lastest bttv
> drivers, to no avail. I LOVE MythTV when my hardware lets it run.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Pascal Watteel

ICT Responible
http://www.winlin.be

This mail was send by the Winlin Webmail

http://www.winlin.be
Re: Stability problems when watching live tv [ In reply to ]

installed latest nvidia drivers and also tried with the supplied redhat
drivers for nvidia... same problem... no temp problem.. try with a ati 3d rage
same problem.

system doesn't crash in normal use.. only when watching tv...

seti runs fine... as always....

pascal

Re: Stability problems when watching live tv [ In reply to ]
Pete,

I was lucky enough to be able to try the "world's most craptacular"
(Apollo Bloody Monster GF4) video card and I had the same results.

The system doesn't crash under normal use, but I also had video capture
stability problems with WinXP, so I'll give seti@home a try under linux
and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Patrick

Re: Stability problems when watching live tv [ In reply to ]
Patrick Benton <patrickb@umich.edu> wrote:

> The system doesn't crash under normal use, but I also had video capture
> stability problems with WinXP

Hmm, I would have said to check your bttv drivers, but then... It might be a faulty/crappy capture card, you didn't mention which one you were using...

You could try taking it back to the store and getting another one, you may have a faulty sample, I don't see how capture problems could happen on both systems if all the other things are fine.

Pete
Re: Stability problems when watching live tv [ In reply to ]
On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 10:13 PM, Pierre-Olivier Bouchard
wrote:

> Patrick Benton <patrickb@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> The system doesn't crash under normal use, but I also had video
>> capture
>> stability problems with WinXP
>
> Hmm, I would have said to check your bttv drivers, but then... It
> might be a faulty/crappy capture card, you didn't mention which one
> you were using...

Oops! forgot to mention that... Hauppage WinTV dbx 401.

> You could try taking it back to the store and getting another one, you
> may have a faulty sample, I don't see how capture problems could
> happen on both systems if all the other things are fine.

It was an ebay purchase, so I'm pretty much stuck with it. I'll do
some comparison tests between linux and windows and see what happens.

Patrick
Re: Stability problems when watching live tv [ In reply to ]
wrote:

>> Here is a rundown of my current hardware:
>> ECS K7S5A motherboard
>> AMD XP 2100+
>> Sound Blaster 16 PCI
>> Voodoo Banshee AGP
>> 60G WD hard drive
>
>> I even tried updating my kernel to 2.4.20 with the lastest bttv
>> drivers, to no avail. I LOVE MythTV when my hardware lets it run.
>
> I'd check the X drivers for the video card... try some other card for
> a while if you can, it might help.
>
> Check system temperatures, the XP2100+ is quite a hot chip, if it gets
> too hot the mobo might be shutting down itself to protect the CPU.

I improved the air circulation in my case and the CPU is running
cooler, plus MythTV is stable now. Thanks for the tip!

Patrick