Mailing List Archive

Frontend and Backend
Just curious if anyone has used the frontend/backend combination on a 10mbps
network. I've been too lazy to run 10/100 ethernet to every room, so I'm
using wireless. I'm trying to figure out whether to get a new hefty computer
to do both viewing and encoding or to get something cheap for the viewing
and use my existing desktop PC for encoding. Any data on capture settings
if it works ok over 10mbps would be appreciated

Re: Frontend and Backend [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:53:43PM +0000, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> Just curious if anyone has used the frontend/backend combination on a
> 10mbps network. I've been too lazy to run 10/100 ethernet to every room, so
> I'm using wireless. I'm trying to figure out whether to get a new hefty
> computer to do both viewing and encoding or to get something cheap for the
> viewing and use my existing desktop PC for encoding. Any data on capture
> settings if it works ok over 10mbps would be appreciated

well I have a file here thats 1152680 K for 1 hour which is
1152680/60/1024 or
19 megs per minute
and then
19*1024/60 or
324 KB per second

so if your connection can do 400K/s, it should be fine.

and this is for 480x480 and a bitrate of 3300, so a lower quality
recording would take even less.

--
-Justin