Mailing List Archive

MythTV on RedHat 8.0
Not sure if you guys are interested but I've started to chronicle my
MythTV project. I'd be happy to contribute to the 'cause' somehow.

http://www.lorimarksolutions.com/MythTv/Mark's_LinTV_Project.html
Re: MythTV on RedHat 8.0 [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 16 February 2003 12:03 pm, Mark Petryk wrote:
> Not sure if you guys are interested but I've started to chronicle my
> MythTV project. I'd be happy to contribute to the 'cause' somehow.
>
> http://www.lorimarksolutions.com/MythTv/Mark's_LinTV_Project.html

Interesting post.

You say you were having a problem with Java.

I believe you can cure your Java problem easily. I have
/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin/java

which is the Java executable.

Just make a symbolic link to your in /usr/bin

# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/bin/java /usr/bin/java

which puts that version of Java in your path.

--
Hoyt
http://www.maximumhoyt.com

Run with scissors. Remove mattress tags. Top post. Be a rebel.
Re: MythTV on RedHat 8.0 [ In reply to ]
I had a read of you chronicle, well more like a skim thru!
nice job, itll be handy for ppl when its finished.
Anyway i noticed ur stuck on the UTF-8 problem.

Does anyone on this list have access to the mythTV docs,
they shold be updated to include the full fix for this
problem.

Anyway my solution went as follows.

Follow the MYthTV docs to set LANG environment variable
(follow this link)
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-4.html#RH80-LANG

After you do this you will still see errors from
Date::Manip
follow the path to the Manip.pm file and open it for
editing, at line 96 there's a variable falled convTZ (i
think), it should currently be set to "", just stick your
timezone abbreviation in here. And do the same to the
variable 4 lines up or so, it think its called localTZ or
something like that.

That should fix ur problems.

Dek

Re: MythTV on RedHat 8.0 [ In reply to ]

> Does anyone on this list have access to the mythTV docs,
> they shold be updated to include the full fix for this
> problem.

I maintain the RH8 mythtv docs. I guess I don't quite understand the
problem you are having, or your solution. All utf-8 problems that I was
having were solved by:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-4.html#RH80-LANG

Is there a new problem cropping up? If anyone is doing a mythtv install
on a relatively virgin RH8 system (and carefully following the docs at
www.mythtv.org/docs) I would be interested to hear whether the
documentation as is works for you, or you need to use Dek's suggested
solution.

What I'm getting at is I know this was not necessary before, but I'm
wondering if new versions of Date::Manip (or something else) now
require this solution.

best,

cedar
RE: MythTV on RedHat 8.0 [ In reply to ]
I did a test install and followed the docs, and everything went fine.

Had to change the filldata.cpp program to get mythfilldatabase to work
properly, but everything else worked fine.

Cheers...

Re: MythTV on RedHat 8.0 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 14:35, Cedar McKay wrote:

I am using RH 8 with a custom compile 2.4.20 kernel. I have a (AITech
WaveWatcher) BT878 and the newest BTTV drivers. I am using a PIII 733
w/256mb and a 10gig HD (will purchase more space later). Other than the
well-documented mythfilldatabase problems, I've had no hiccups during
installation. I made the global change to /etc/sysconfig for UTF
encoding per the MythDocs listed below.

Currently my only trouble is getting the Gatos drivers for my ATI RF
remote control working, and then this box will be up on top of the
television :)

Congrats to all involved for this wonderful project.