lighting?

Any other X-10 users see a good fit in to Myth?

Nick

--
Nick Ellson
CCDA, CCNP, CCSP, CCAI,
MCSE 2000, Security+, Network+
Network Hobbyist, VFR Private Pilot.

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
A friend of mine already set all this up.. In his case, he just
created a X-10 menu with links to run external Perl scripts to adjust
lighting, fan, etc. Perl even has an couple X-10 modules to interface
the firecracker. Works very well and pretty simple to implement. He'll
probably be glad to share the scripts and such if your interested.

-Kenneth

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
On 6/2/06, Maverick <mavantix@gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine already set all this up.. In his case, he just
> created a X-10 menu with links to run external Perl scripts to adjust
> lighting, fan, etc. Perl even has an couple X-10 modules to interface
> the firecracker. Works very well and pretty simple to implement. He'll
> probably be glad to share the scripts and such if your interested.
>
> -Kenneth

I dont know about anyone else, but i would be interested. Please email me
them on or off list.

CH

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
I too would be interested in this.

On 6/2/06, Chris Henderson <jchendo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/2/06, Maverick <mavantix@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A friend of mine already set all this up.. In his case, he just
> > created a X-10 menu with links to run external Perl scripts to adjust
> > lighting, fan, etc. Perl even has an couple X-10 modules to interface
> > the firecracker. Works very well and pretty simple to implement. He'll
> > probably be glad to share the scripts and such if your interested.
> >
> > -Kenneth
>

> I dont know about anyone else, but i would be interested. Please email me
> them on or off list.
>

> CH
>

> > On 6/1/06, Nick Ellson <grimm@nickellson.com > wrote:
> > >
> > > I was just thinking about having an X-10 control module inside of myth.
> > > Other than having a console station to hold programming and such, it
> might
> > > be nice to let Myth have some envoriornment control for say movie mood
> > > lighting?
> > >
> > > Any other X-10 users see a good fit in to Myth?
> > >
> > > Nick
> > >

> > > --
> > > Nick Ellson
> > > CCDA, CCNP, CCSP, CCAI,
> > > MCSE 2000, Security+, Network+
> > > Network Hobbyist, VFR Private Pilot.

Scott Dexter

"You're not one of us."
"I don't think I'm one of them, either," said Brutha.
"I'm one of mine."

Terry Pratchett (Small Gods)
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
I set up something pretty simple on my myth box, but an actual X10 plugin
would be pretty neat.

All I did was use irexec to launch shell scripts which call 'heyu' (an X10
control command line tool) to set different lighting scenes based on what
I'm doing with myth.
One example is, I have the power button on my remote set to toggle between
two scenes:
ON: turns the projector on, lowers the screen, dims the lights.
OFF: raises the screen, brings the lights back up, and turns the projector
off.

My motorized screen is a DIY creation as well, but it's not quite done yet,
so until I get more time to finish up the electronics, I've left the screen
in the down position all the time.

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Jeff Clemens wrote:
> I set up something pretty simple on my myth box, but an actual X10
> plugin would be pretty neat.
>
> All I did was use irexec to launch shell scripts which call 'heyu' (an
> X10 control command line tool) to set different lighting scenes based
> on what I'm doing with myth.
> One example is, I have the power button on my remote set to toggle
> between two scenes:
> ON: turns the projector on, lowers the screen, dims the lights.
> OFF: raises the screen, brings the lights back up, and turns the
> projector off.
>
> My motorized screen is a DIY creation as well, but it's not quite
> done yet, so until I get more time to finish up the electronics, I've
> left the screen in the down position all the time.

That's pretty cool. I played with some X10 stuff years ago, but was
never all that pleased with the result. Right now I just have an IR
controlled dimmer for the lights (from Leviton) and I learned the
commands on my learning remote, so I can dim/on/off the lights
directly. I still have to manually pull the projector screen down... :)

Tom

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Ahh, well the ir command idea sounds doable in a pinch. I'll play with
that.

But when I started seeing all the modules that Myth had that side stepped
TV directly I started thinking what else this interface lends itself to.
Heck, I could see home-automation modules fit right in, if you view myth
as the best way to keep you in the easy-chair ;)

For me, I managed to get X-10 to run just about everything from my
sprinkler system to the A/C in the house, and on to the security system.

So to have some control using Myth and the USB Active Home controller,
well.. gee, why get off my butt again?

Hoping this plants a seed in someone looking for a project that can code.
(if that were me this would be one I'd like to try, but my lame BASH
scripping just won't cut it ;))

Nick

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Nick Ellson wrote:
> Ahh, well the ir command idea sounds doable in a pinch. I'll play with
> that.
>
> But when I started seeing all the modules that Myth had that side stepped
> TV directly I started thinking what else this interface lends itself to.
> Heck, I could see home-automation modules fit right in, if you view myth
> as the best way to keep you in the easy-chair ;)
>
> For me, I managed to get X-10 to run just about everything from my
> sprinkler system to the A/C in the house, and on to the security system.
>
> So to have some control using Myth and the USB Active Home controller,
> well.. gee, why get off my butt again?
>
> Hoping this plants a seed in someone looking for a project that can code.
> (if that were me this would be one I'd like to try, but my lame BASH
> scripping just won't cut it ;))
>
> Nick

Check out plutohome.com....
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
On 06/02/06 14:19, Tom Lichti wrote:

>Nick Ellson wrote:
>

>>Ahh, well the ir command idea sounds doable in a pinch. I'll play with
>>that.
>>
>>But when I started seeing all the modules that Myth had that side stepped
>>TV directly I started thinking what else this interface lends itself to.
>>Heck, I could see home-automation modules fit right in, if you view myth
>>as the best way to keep you in the easy-chair ;)
>>
>>For me, I managed to get X-10 to run just about everything from my
>>sprinkler system to the A/C in the house, and on to the security system.
>>
>>So to have some control using Myth and the USB Active Home controller,
>>well.. gee, why get off my butt again?
>>
>>Hoping this plants a seed in someone looking for a project that can code.
>>(if that were me this would be one I'd like to try, but my lame BASH
>>scripping just won't cut it ;))
>>
>Check out plutohome.com....

And plutohome.org if you want to try to install the open-source software
on your own system.

Mike
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
On 6/2/06, Nick Ellson <grimm@nickellson.com> wrote:

> Ahh, well the ir command idea sounds doable in a pinch. I'll play with
> that.
>
> But when I started seeing all the modules that Myth had that side stepped
> TV directly I started thinking what else this interface lends itself to.
> Heck, I could see home-automation modules fit right in, if you view myth
> as the best way to keep you in the easy-chair ;)
>
> For me, I managed to get X-10 to run just about everything from my
> sprinkler system to the A/C in the house, and on to the security system.
>
> So to have some control using Myth and the USB Active Home controller,
> well.. gee, why get off my butt again?
>
> Hoping this plants a seed in someone looking for a project that can code.
> (if that were me this would be one I'd like to try, but my lame BASH
> scripping just won't cut it ;))

i think this fits in just as well as the plugins that currently exist.
Myth controls your entertainment, why not use it to control your
environment as well? i wish i knew C/C++ and wasn't so lazy that i
can't be bothered to learn. :) this would be a cool project, one that
i'll definitely tinker with when one of you implement it. :D
does PlutoHome use X-10 to do its automation? it uses Myth for its
media... that might be a place to start looking. i'm pretty sure
their code is available.

Nick, do you have details on what you've done to assemble your home
automation system? a blog or how-to? (hint-hint)
i've been considering wiring in X-10 outlets so i can control my
lighting and appliances. i would have considering using X-10 for
everything when i finished my basement had i known it existed a couple
years ago. :)
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
I mostly live at x-10.com, with a few devices from smarthomeusa.com (for
the high power RF transcievers and the Sprinkler System heads)

I use mostly the 3-prong appliance modules, and appliance decorator wall
switches. I find that the hard relay switches do not burn out or get picky
about signal, unlike the dimmer modules. And they support florescent bulbs
well.

A big deal is to watch out how many fancy UPS/ A/V gear you have. A lot of
them use their own noise suppression on the AC input and that will squash
the X10 carrier signal for that whole breaker circuit if it's a good
filter. :\ They make buffers for them, but so far I have been lucky.

Perhaps a MythX10 module section could be started and at least those of
use that know Linux X10 can toss around ideas?

Nick

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, June 2, 2006 20:40, Nick Ellson said:

> I mostly live at x-10.com, with a few devices from smarthomeusa.com (for
> the high power RF transcievers and the Sprinkler System heads)
>
> I use mostly the 3-prong appliance modules, and appliance decorator wall
> switches. I find that the hard relay switches do not burn out or get picky
> about signal, unlike the dimmer modules. And they support florescent bulbs
> well.
>
> A big deal is to watch out how many fancy UPS/ A/V gear you have. A lot of
> them use their own noise suppression on the AC input and that will squash
> the X10 carrier signal for that whole breaker circuit if it's a good
> filter. :\ They make buffers for them, but so far I have been lucky.
>
> Perhaps a MythX10 module section could be started and at least those of
> use that know Linux X10 can toss around ideas?
>
> Nick

Sounds good!

I am using MrHouse for my home automation, partially because it is easy to
script your own subroutines for more advanced usage.

My alarm interfaces with X10 as well, so the MrHouse machine knows when
the alarm is on, and when it is, it runs a simulation program to simulate
normal use of light in the house...

It calculates sun rise and set (and moon too, BTW), so you can time events
relative to that.

It also sends out SMS messages to my cell phone on special occurences,
such as alarm-situations.

These are things I should like in a MythX10 module as well...

BTW: The only broken X10 modules I have so far (*knock on wood*) are
appliance modules (relay boxes), whereas all my light modules (dimmers)
still work as new... (Only had to replace a fuse twice, but that was my
own fault, and I'm amazed they still work!)

--
Francesco Peeters
----
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Well, the motor control circuit is not in a state yet that it can be shared
(it doesn't work yet -- having trouble with the photosensors I've been
trying to use as limit switches). As far as the mechanics, I got a surplus
8ft screen from a local thrift store, and attatched a gear motor to one
end. The plan is to put photosensors in the housing to detect when the
screen has reached the top or the bottom, using them to control relays to
control the motor. I'm then using the Universal X-10 module as an input to
that circuit.

I've been taking a break from that project lately, but hopefully will get
back to it soon. Right now I'm having interference problems from all the
compact flourescent bulbs my roommate/landlady installed. I might have to
make some filters for them that fit into the light socket under the bulb,
because right now the whole X10 setup quits working whenever certain lights
are on in the house.

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
> I dont know about anyone else, but i would be interested. Please email me
> them on or off list.

I emailed him and asked for the script. I'll post it when I get a copy...

-Kenneth
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]

> I emailed him and asked for the script. I'll post it when I get a copy...
>
> -Kenneth

Exellent,

Thanks. Cools more toys to play with!!!!

CH
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/02/06 14:19, Tom Lichti wrote:
>
>> Nick Ellson wrote:
>>

>>> Ahh, well the ir command idea sounds doable in a pinch. I'll play with
>>> that.
>>>
>>> But when I started seeing all the modules that Myth had that side stepped
>>> TV directly I started thinking what else this interface lends itself to.
>>> Heck, I could see home-automation modules fit right in, if you view myth
>>> as the best way to keep you in the easy-chair ;)
>>>
>>> For me, I managed to get X-10 to run just about everything from my
>>> sprinkler system to the A/C in the house, and on to the security system.
>>>
>>> So to have some control using Myth and the USB Active Home controller,
>>> well.. gee, why get off my butt again?
>>>
>>> Hoping this plants a seed in someone looking for a project that can code.
>>> (if that were me this would be one I'd like to try, but my lame BASH
>>> scripping just won't cut it ;))
>>>
>> Check out plutohome.com....
>>

> And plutohome.org if you want to try to install the open-source software
> on your own system.

If you have have the coding skills take a look at the GlobalCache GC-100
or better yet, the WACI NX+ for bulletproof home automation.

http://www.globalcache.com/products/gc-index.html
http://www.auroramultimedia.com/web/?section=products&product=wacinxplus

Check out this implementation by Aurora, Metra and Ethereal Home
Theatre: http://www.waciworld.com/psp_controlled_car/

Professionally, I do not sell or service X-10 or other powerline control
systems. Even the latest generation UPB gear such as HAI has "blond
moments" and goes on the fritz too often. My clients would tie me to a
stake and douse me with gasoline if I sold them those solutions. With
that said, X-10 and UPB is still a fun and affordable way to break into
home control.

WRT automated lighting, the Lutron and Leviton IR offerings offer
near-bulletproof solutions. IF you are building a dedicated home
theatre, and you are budgeting for intricate lighting, I strongly
recommend the Lutron Graphic Eye. Be forewarned: if a supply house were
to sell you one of these I would NOT recommend installing it yourself
unless you are a master electrician. Most apprentices and journeyman
cannot grasp the requirements. It has very intricate needs with many
possible configurations. Seasoned pros myself included have "bricked" a
unit or two.
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Ok, attached is the x10 menu and stuff he setup. Also worth noteing
is, modify your own mainmenu.xml from his example and don't use his,
since it has Knoppmyth in it, and you may not be using Knoppmyth. :)

Here's a link to the Perl dep for the X10 Firecracker:

http://search.cpan.org/~bbirth/ControlX10-CM17-0.07/CM17.pm

...probably easier to just install using cpan from perl.

-Kenneth

Here's his notes:

Attached. Just install the deps and change /dev/ttyS1 to whatever serial
port your firecracker transmitter is on.

usage example:

In my case I have three x10 devices in my bedroom on code A

1 Fan
2 Halogen Lamp
3 Black light

so to turn on the Fan:
./x10.pl A1J

to turn it off:
./x10.pl A1K

to turn on the fan, sleep for a quarter of a second and turn the black
light on:
./x10.pl A1J s A3J

to turn the lamp and then dim it:
./x10.pl A2J "A2-90"

and so on. String as many commands together as you like into sequence as
I have in the attached menu XML files (put in your ~/.mythtv folder
don't overwrite the files in shared)

This tiny script is all I needed. If you want some feature added or
explained just let me know.

John

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Would you mind posting this method to the MythAutomation Wiki I started?
(or would you mind if I did?)

Nick

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
> Would you mind posting this method to the MythAutomation Wiki I started?
> (or would you mind if I did?)

I don't mind, and I'm sure John won't mind either. I don't have a wiki
account at myth yet, so go ahead and post away!

Speaking of Myth Home Automation, I'd love to control my Proliphix
NT120 thermostat from my TV. It would be one sweet integration! I
might have to figure out how to make a myth plugin.

-Kenneth
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
How is it controlled now? There are some really inexpensive ethernet PLC
modules (and board kits) I have been eyeing lately.. while I'll have to
dust off the unused 25 year old EE Degree the network control language
looked really simple to read and write to. We could have MythGarage for
teh garage door. MythWater for the sprinkler systems. MythPool for the
pump/heater (and I even saw a regulated drip resevoir that might permit
auto chemical balancing.. ) Now, a MythSecure module for home video cams,
that might be right up the alley of the MythTV module already.. I noticed
the PVR500's at least have two composit inputs if you switch to them. Work
out some scheduling conflict with the TV recording and you could monitor
and record a security cam.. or just use a real mux card.. I use the
GeoVision 1480 card in a dedicated system, but it would be cool to have a
lower cost variant totally inside Myth.

Ok, I think I have over subscribe my imagination for this evening.. I'll
get to posting your solution tomorrow.

Nick

Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
> How is it controlled now? There are some really inexpensive ethernet PLC
> modules (and board kits) I have been eyeing lately.. while I'll have to
> dust off the unused 25 year old EE Degree the network control language
> looked really simple to read and write to. We could have MythGarage for
> teh garage door. MythWater for the sprinkler systems. MythPool for the
> pump/heater (and I even saw a regulated drip resevoir that might permit
> auto chemical balancing.. ) Now, a MythSecure module for home video cams,
> that might be right up the alley of the MythTV module already.. I noticed
> the PVR500's at least have two composit inputs if you switch to them. Work
> out some scheduling conflict with the TV recording and you could monitor
> and record a security cam.. or just use a real mux card.. I use the
> GeoVision 1480 card in a dedicated system, but it would be cool to have a
> lower cost variant totally inside Myth.

Yes, it's the american dream to control everything from out sofa with
our remote control, infront of our TV!! :) The Proliphix tstats are
ethernet connected network with a normal LCD and buttons, but also the
web server to control them. The have a documented API to access them
to retrieve values and set stuff, I just need to learn to make a myth
module! :)

I also want my mythbox to make me breakfast!

-Kenneth
Re: X-10 Module for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Hrmmm.. MythDiner?? (avoiding any tradmark puns)

Hopefully we'll have some kind of software plugin in the next month or so
as those that can contribute automation code learn how to Mythize it.

Nick