Thanks for any assistance.

--
Mike
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
Michael Tiller wrote:
> I'm seriously considering a move to Dish Network in my attempt to get
> a better picture than I currently get with analog cable. I thought
> about digital cable but it is really just analog cable for the
> channels I watch.
>
> Are there any "gotchas" for Dish Network? Is there a preferred
> receiver? Obviously, I don't want a DVR unit but are there any
> important differences in terms of channel changing, firewire
> potential, etc?
>
> The main "downsides" I'm considering at the moment are:
> 1) Need for receiver on every TV
> 2) The fact that I'll still have to capture in analog mode with my
> PVR-150 (firewire?)
> 3) Hassles with getting program guide data?
> 4) Need to deal with IR blaster issues (both for MythTV and my mom's
> TiVo).
>
> If I'm missing something (vs. analog cable), let me know.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

My take:

My Dish 322 locks up frequently, shuts down at 3am for maintenance, and
misses
IR blaster channel change commands frequently enough to be annoying. For
this
reason and because I can't get HDTV from Dish for MythTV, I've gone the
other
direction and moved from Dish to cable. Things are much simpler using a real
tuner device rather than an IR blaster.

Program guide data was easy to get, but problematic because channels I
didn't pay
for would cause the 322 to lock and require a channel up or channel down
command
from the IR remote. So when my mother in law came over and tried to
change the channel
to a channel we didn't have it would screw up any future recordings
until I came home and
fixed it, OR she found the Dish remote and pressed channel up or down.

I could remove those channels I didn't pay for from the datadirect
lineup, but Dish
adds and changes channels on almost a daily basis, so it's an uphill battle.

Tuners become more expensive because you need a separate IR blaster and RCA
jack/card for each receiver.

No firewire available, AFAIK.

I say stick with cable.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin

Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
Michael Tiller wrote:
> I'm seriously considering a move to Dish Network in my attempt to get a
> better picture than I currently get with analog cable. I thought about
> digital cable but it is really just analog cable for the channels I watch.
>
> Are there any "gotchas" for Dish Network? Is there a preferred
> receiver? Obviously, I don't want a DVR unit but are there any
> important differences in terms of channel changing, firewire potential, etc?
>
> The main "downsides" I'm considering at the moment are:
> 1) Need for receiver on every TV
> 2) The fact that I'll still have to capture in analog mode with my
> PVR-150 (firewire?)
> 3) Hassles with getting program guide data?
> 4) Need to deal with IR blaster issues (both for MythTV and my mom's TiVo).
>
> If I'm missing something (vs. analog cable), let me know.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Mike

I have a dish 311, I've never had any problems with it. Unfortunately
there is no firewire interface, on any of the dish receivers. There is
svideo, I've not had any problems with getting guide data. The 2 DVR's
522 and 625 are supposed to be identical, I have a 522 from before I
found out about myth, they are both supposed to have working usb ports,
I have not yet tried to used the usb on the 522 as I really don't need it.

--
Regards
Chris

Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On 4/10/06, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm seriously considering a move to Dish Network in my attempt to get a
> better picture than I currently get with analog cable. I thought about
> digital cable but it is really just analog cable for the channels I watch.
>
> Are there any "gotchas" for Dish Network? Is there a preferred receiver?
> Obviously, I don't want a DVR unit but are there any important differences
> in terms of channel changing, firewire potential, etc?
>
> The main "downsides" I'm considering at the moment are:
> 1) Need for receiver on every TV
> 2) The fact that I'll still have to capture in analog mode with my PVR-150
> (firewire?)
> 3) Hassles with getting program guide data?
> 4) Need to deal with IR blaster issues (both for MythTV and my mom's TiVo).
>
> If I'm missing something (vs. analog cable), let me know.

You should also consider digital cable and other satellite cable providers.

1). Yes, you will need an STB for each concurrent channel, but they
don't need to be linked up to every TV, you can have them all
connected to the Myth Backend and just run ethernet to each frontend.
If you had normal connected TVs separate from myth before, you would
need to either put an STB there or a mythfrontend.

2). Unfortunately, analog capture still makes the most sense, even for
digital cable / satellite. HD can be recorded digitally over firewire
in some cases, but HD recording and playback is really a different
bird altogether.

3) Program guide data isn't any more of a hassle with sat/digital
cable than it is with analog cable. Assuming you're in the US, zap2it
provides all the major satellite and digital cable lineups as well as
analog, and they are accurate for the most part.

4). IR blasters are a bit of a pain, but you can usually find an STB
that can be controlled via serial, which makes it much more accurate.
I had comcast cable in the past and controlled that via serial. I
currently have DirecTV, which I control via serial (usb) as well. I've
heard that Dish Network doesn't have serial-control boxes, though,
unfortunately, so you may be stuck with IR if that is your choice
provider.

As far as the cost of STBs, usually they are free with the signup and
you pay a per-month fee for each box ($5 or so). If they aren't
offerred for free, you can buy them off eBay for under $20 each
usually.

All said and done, the switch to a digital receiver isn't all that
bad, the only real difference is the per-month cost per TV/tuner,
compared to being able to just throw a cable splitter on the line and
plug in another capture card / TV. I only have a single tuner because
I don't watch enough TV to warrant an extra $5/month for that extra
STB.
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On Apr 10, 2006, at 1:11 PM, BlackCamera wrote:

> Michael Tiller wrote:
>> I'm seriously considering a move to Dish Network in my attempt to
>> get a
>> better picture than I currently get with analog cable. I thought
>> about
>> digital cable but it is really just analog cable for the channels
>> I watch.
>>
>> Are there any "gotchas" for Dish Network? Is there a preferred
>> receiver? Obviously, I don't want a DVR unit but are there any
>> important differences in terms of channel changing, firewire
>> potential, etc?
>>
>> The main "downsides" I'm considering at the moment are:
>> 1) Need for receiver on every TV
>> 2) The fact that I'll still have to capture in analog mode with my
>> PVR-150 (firewire?)
>> 3) Hassles with getting program guide data?
>> 4) Need to deal with IR blaster issues (both for MythTV and my
>> mom's TiVo).
>>
>> If I'm missing something (vs. analog cable), let me know.
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance.
>>
>> --
>> Mike
>
> I have a dish 311, I've never had any problems with it. Unfortunately
> there is no firewire interface, on any of the dish receivers.
> There is
> svideo, I've not had any problems with getting guide data. The 2
> DVR's
> 522 and 625 are supposed to be identical, I have a 522 from before I
> found out about myth, they are both supposed to have working usb
> ports,
> I have not yet tried to used the usb on the 522 as I really don't
> need it.

Agreed, for Myth the 311 is the best of the currently-available (from
Dish) receivers. The on-screen display looks a little primitive but
who cares, and if you time things properly you never see it anyway.

You can also set up the remote to respond to any of 10 sets of codes,
so you can use multiple receivers with just one IR blaster.

The guide is no problem in NA, zap2it does just fine.

It would be nice of it had serial control, but no receiver available
for Dish has that, only some DirecTV units.

The actual de-coded output of the 311 looks better than my "top-of-
the-line" 942 receiver.
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On 04/10/2006 02:53 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> My take:
>
> My Dish 322

The dual-tuner DISH receivers are not good for Myth. With them, only
one of the tuners can use an IR remote (the other is RF only).
Therefore, you end up only being able to tune one receiver from Myth.
So, go with single tuner models like the 310/311.

> locks up frequently, shuts down at 3am for maintenance, and misses IR blaster channel change commands frequently enough to be annoying.

I've never had an issue changing channels with my IR blaster (the
"improved IR transmitter" at http://lirc.org/improved_transmitter.html )
other than when it tried to change the channel when the receiver wasn't
listening (i.e. no satellite signal or no power on the sat box).
Perhaps it was an issue with your transmitter or LIRC configuration.
(Not that I blame you if that's the case. It took a /lot/ of my time to
figure out how to properly configure my transmitter/LIRC.)

> For this reason and because I can't get HDTV from Dish for MythTV, I've gone the other direction and moved from Dish to cable. Things are much simpler using a real tuner device rather than an IR blaster.

Which is not necessarily a bad idea. Note that if the OP has signal
quality problems, spending a few bucks on fixing them may improve the
picture quality almost as much as going to a digital source. See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/17953#17953 for some
ideas on how to improve signal quality.

> Program guide data was easy to get, but problematic because channels I didn't pay
> for would cause the 322 to lock and require a channel up or channel down command
> from the IR remote. So when my mother in law came over and tried to change the channel
> to a channel we didn't have it would screw up any future recordings until I came home and fixed it, OR she found the Dish remote and pressed channel up or down.

Been there. Done that. I "fixed" it by adding a channel up command to
my change_channel script just before the channel number is sent. It
slows down tuning, but the extra 0.4 seconds of the show isn't worth the
risk. :)

The only problem I still have is that a powered off receiver results in
a multi-gigabyte recording of "Blackness and Silence." I started to get
into watching that (was very relaxing), but after a while, the show
became too predictable. ;)

Unfortunately, although I've found the Pronto discrete power codes for
the DISH receivers (
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?611
), I haven't yet done the work of converting them to LIRC codes. If
someone did this, putting a discrete power on before the channel up
before the channel number would make a "foolproof" channel change script
(i.e. would fix problems cause by my foolishly putting my receiver in a
bad state).

> I could remove those channels I didn't pay for from the datadirect lineup, but Dish adds and changes channels on almost a daily basis, so it's an uphill battle.

0.20 will automatically remove new channels from your DataDirect lineup
if desired. Waiting for TMS to add that option to the lineup
configuration doesn't seem like a good plan any longer. Daniel already
did 90+% of the work last week. (Thanks, Daniel!) I just have to get
the remove-new-channels part coded up and I'll be posting a patch in Trac.

> Tuners become more expensive because you need a separate IR blaster

You can use the same IR blaster. Technically, the difference between an
IR transmitter and an IR blaster is that the transmitter may not have
sufficient power to transmit a signal that can be received by multiple
devices, but--by definition--an IR blaster does. Often transmitters,
such as the LIRC simple transmitter ( http://lirc.org/transmitters.html
), need to be affixed to the receiver for proper reception. Such a
transmitter design would require multiple transmitters for multiple
devices. An IR blaster, however (like the improved transmitter I
mentioned above), can send a signal to multiple devices (and, in my
house, does). By setting your DISH receivers to use separate remote
codes, you can control many (as many as 16--one for each remote code
supported by DISH) from the same IR blaster--if you're willing to pay
$5x16 receivers.

> and RCA jack/card for each receiver.

Which you'll also need for multiple capture devices using cable. With
the PVR-500, you can send a single RF-modulated feed into the device and
it will use an internal splitter, but many 500's ship with the
additional backplate providing additional connectors, anyway. Also,
it's almost always cheaper to buy 2 PVR-150's rather than 1 PVR-500, so
you only need a 500 if you're lacking PCI slots.

> No firewire available, AFAIK.

True for all DISH receivers. Also, DISH receivers do not provide serial
ports for channel changes, so you must use an IR transmitter.

Note that some DirecTV receivers provide serial ports for channel
changes. Also, there are DirecTV "mods" (i.e. from 169time) that do
firewire output, but they're not really usable with Myth. AIUI, the
data is output in a 169time-proprietary format that can only be decoded
with their Windows-based program. The only case I've ever seen where
someone had it working with Myth involved the mod'ed DirecTV receiver
outputting to a Windows box, which was outputting to a Myth box (I don't
even know if that person ever got automatic channel changing to work,
though). It seemed a complete waste of electricity to me. ;)

So, the only real difference between DISH and DirecTV from a Myth
standpoint is that DISH requires an IR transmitter. However, I like
using my one serial port for changing channels on all boxes. Using
DirecTV receivers with serial ports requires multiple serial ports on
the Myth box (or hacking up a hardware or software solution that's far
more complex than a LIRC transmitter/LIRC).

> I say stick with cable.

I would only say the same if it's impossible to improve the quality of
the cable signal (and, make sure you're not setting unrealistic
expectations for the quality of the DISH signal--the limiting factor is
NTSC, and a good analog NTSC signal is not much different from a good
digital signal that's output as NTSC). Check the post I linked above
and make sure you've set appropriate recording profile parameters or
send the signal direct to a TV (to ensure it's the signal that's the issue).

Mike

Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On Apr 10, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> The only problem I still have is that a powered off receiver
> results in
> a multi-gigabyte recording of "Blackness and Silence." I started
> to get
> into watching that (was very relaxing), but after a while, the show
> became too predictable. ;)

Perhaps you should introduce some variation by watching my favorite,
"Bars and Tone" ??

Requires very little CPU to encode, and the files don't take up much
space.
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
> > to a channel we didn't have it would screw up any future recordings until I came home and fixed it, OR she found the Dish remote and pressed channel up or down.
> >

> Been there. Done that. I "fixed" it by adding a channel up command to
> my change_channel script just before the channel number is sent. It
> slows down tuning, but the extra 0.4 seconds of the show isn't worth the
> risk. :)

My direcTV STB has a command that turns off remote input, so there's
no way for the remote to tell the STB to do anything :-) That would
fix that pretty good I bet, and it would prevent the in-laws from
pressing buttons.

> > I could remove those channels I didn't pay for from the datadirect lineup, but Dish adds and changes channels on almost a daily basis, so it's an uphill battle.

Yeah, that would be a downside. I like having the datadirect lineup
match the actual channels I get on DirecTV so that way when I search
for things to record, it will only result in channels I get (no fun
finding a great movie on, only to discover that it's on showtime).
Curious to see what comes up in 0.20 - I hope there's an option for
turning a particular channel on for specific days, that would be good
for those "free preview weekends".

> So, the only real difference between DISH and DirecTV from a Myth
> standpoint is that DISH requires an IR transmitter. However, I like
> using my one serial port for changing channels on all boxes. Using
> DirecTV receivers with serial ports requires multiple serial ports on
> the Myth box (or hacking up a hardware or software solution that's far
> more complex than a LIRC transmitter/LIRC).

I'm thinking that whatever hardware/software solution can handle
multiple serial connections from a single serial connection will be
more expensive in time/money than an additional 2 or 4 port serial
card would be....but it is a neat idea, I wonder if there are any
software-controlled serial switches that are reasonably priced. If a
serial card is no good, hypothetically a USB hub with USB->serial
converters would work as well (especially since most STBs are 9600
baud, the speed of a shared USB port isn't really a problem).

> > I say stick with cable.
> >

> I would only say the same if it's impossible to improve the quality of
> the cable signal (and, make sure you're not setting unrealistic
> expectations for the quality of the DISH signal--the limiting factor is
> NTSC, and a good analog NTSC signal is not much different from a good
> digital signal that's output as NTSC). Check the post I linked above
> and make sure you've set appropriate recording profile parameters or
> send the signal direct to a TV (to ensure it's the signal that's the issue).

I agree - check the signal quality of analog before deciding
wholeheartedly to go digital. If you can, plug a TV into the cable as
far up the pipe as you can (maybe in a basement or something there the
coax splitters are). Disconnect all the other lines and view it right
from there. If it looks fine there and worse upstairs, it must be the
miles of coax in your walls causing the signal degredation. It's true
that a digital signal won't have that problem (it will either work or
not work, at some threshold of signal quality). But if the limiting
factor isn't the cabling, you won't see much improvement, since the
actual video will still be 720x480 NTSC.

- Jeff
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
> Perhaps you should introduce some variation by watching my favorite,
> "Bars and Tone" ??
>
> Requires very little CPU to encode, and the files don't take up much
> space.

I've heard good things about another show, "Off The Air", but I
haven't been able to keep myself awake late enough to watch it - it
always seems to show really late at night on unpopular channels. I
assume that's one of those slang-terms like "Off da Hook".
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On 4/10/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> The only problem I still have is that a powered off receiver results in
> a multi-gigabyte recording of "Blackness and Silence." I started to get
> into watching that (was very relaxing), but after a while, the show
> became too predictable. ;)
>
> Unfortunately, although I've found the Pronto discrete power codes for
> the DISH receivers (
> http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?611
> ), I haven't yet done the work of converting them to LIRC codes. If
> someone did this, putting a discrete power on before the channel up
> before the channel number would make a "foolproof" channel change script
> (i.e. would fix problems cause by my foolishly putting my receiver in a
> bad state).

I've fully decoded the Echostar remote control for ALL unit addresses
(see end of my email). The Echostar lircd.conf (for both Dish
Network and Bell ExpressVu) that ships with LIRC is poorly reverse
engineered.

"power_on" is at the bottom of the email. You'll need to add
significant delay after power_on for the receiver to power up an be
ready for additional key presses.

You will probably need to adjust the ONE / ZERO timing for your
hardware. I should email this to the LIRC author to include in his
package.

Duty cycle is commented out because some hardware transmitters don't
have that ability.

-----------------
begin remote
name serial-echostar2
flags SPACE_ENC|NO_HEAD_REP
eps 30
aeps 100

frequency 56000
# duty_cycle 32

one 440 1645
zero 440 2780

header 525 6045
ptrail 450
gap 6115

min_repeat 6

bits 6
post_data_bits 10

# unit code selection (1-16)
# 1=0x000 2=0x200 3=0x100 4=0x300
# 5=0x080 6=0x280 7=0x180 8=0x380
# 9=0x040 10=0x240 11=0x140 12=0x340
# 13=0x0C0 14=0x2C0 15=0x1C0 16=0x3C0
post_data 0x200

begin codes
1 4
2 5
3 6
4 8
5 9
6 10
7 12
8 13
9 14
0 17
power_on 1
select 16
cancel 18
end codes
end remote
--------------------

Those are the specific keys I need. I use a script that sends a
power_on code and couple of select's to get by any power off / error
message dialog boxes that may crop up. Below is a full listing of
keys:

# info 0
# power_on 1
# power 2
# 1 4
# 2 5
# 3 6
# 4 8
# 5 9
# 6 10
# menu 11
# 7 12
# 8 13
# 9 14
# select 16
# 0 17
# cancel 18
# guide 20
# view 22
# tv_vcr 23
# right 24
# up 26
# recall 27
# left 28
# down 30
# record 31
# pause 32
# stop 33
# sys_info 36
# asterisk 37
# pound 38
# power_off 39
# sat 41
# dish_home 52
# sys_info2 54
# dish_home2 56

--
# Endaf
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On Apr 10, 2006, at 3:21 PM, Jeff Simpson wrote:

>> Perhaps you should introduce some variation by watching my favorite,
>> "Bars and Tone" ??
>>
>> Requires very little CPU to encode, and the files don't take up much
>> space.
>
> I've heard good things about another show, "Off The Air", but I
> haven't been able to keep myself awake late enough to watch it - it
> always seems to show really late at night on unpopular channels. I
> assume that's one of those slang-terms like "Off da Hook".

It's on right after "Sign Off".
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
Michael Tiller wrote:
> I'm seriously considering a move to Dish Network in my attempt to get a
> better picture than I currently get with analog cable. I thought about
> digital cable but it is really just analog cable for the channels I watch.
>
> Are there any "gotchas" for Dish Network? Is there a preferred
> receiver? Obviously, I don't want a DVR unit but are there any
> important differences in terms of channel changing, firewire potential, etc?
>
> The main "downsides" I'm considering at the moment are:
> 1) Need for receiver on every TV
> 2) The fact that I'll still have to capture in analog mode with my
> PVR-150 (firewire?)
> 3) Hassles with getting program guide data?
> 4) Need to deal with IR blaster issues (both for MythTV and my mom's TiVo).
>
> If I'm missing something (vs. analog cable), let me know.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Mike
I'm still struggling to get a Mythbox running (had a non-compatible
mobo); but I have used Dish for several years. Whether you get a PVR or
just the old 4000-series, you will have composite, S-video and
fiber-optic sound to choose from. Or you could use coax from the TV-out
on the Dish to the Hauppauge, set to Ch.3. AFAIK, you must use the Dish
remote to tune. PVR remotes have both IR and uhf; others are IR-only,
and I don't know whether the IR can be set for a Hauppauge card (or if
you will need to do so. HTH.

Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On Apr 11, 2006, at 11:57 AM, Joe Marcom wrote:

> I'm still struggling to get a Mythbox running (had a non-compatible
> mobo)

What was the motherboard? I'd like to avoid such a component in the
future, as I'm sure others would as well.

Thanks.
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
Thread Jacking....

How do the local channels work with Dish? DirecTV has DirectKick (MLS)
and NFL Season Ticket, which my apt-mate and I are interested in. Dish
doesn't have this, but I've heard you can get local channels from the
major cities. Are you only able to get them from your local stations
or would it be possible to get them from other major markets (L.A.,
NY, Chicago, etc)?

Thanks!

--
Steve
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
Do you apt-get your apt-mate?

How do the local channels work with Dish? DirecTV has DirectKick (MLS)
and NFL Season Ticket, which my apt-mate and I are interested in. Dish
doesn't have this, but I've heard you can get local channels from the
major cities. Are you only able to get them from your local stations
or would it be possible to get them from other major markets (L.A.,
NY, Chicago, etc)?

Thanks!

--
Steve

"THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE. IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR TRANSMISSION. PLEASE DESTROY THE ORIGINAL. THANK YOU."
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/06, Ian Bishop <IBISHOP@bclc.com> wrote:
> Do you apt-get your apt-mate?
>
> "THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE. IT MAY CONTAIN
> PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED DISCLOSURE
> IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS TRANSMISSION IN
> ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR
> TRANSMISSION. PLEASE DESTROY THE ORIGINAL. THANK YOU."

THIS JOKE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE. IT MAY CONTAIN
HUMOR THAT IS ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE AVERAGE RECIPIENT. IF YOU FOR
SOME REASON DO NOT GET THE JOKE, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO
Re: Dish gotchas? [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> On 4/11/06, Ian Bishop <IBISHOP@bclc.com> wrote:
> > Do you apt-get your apt-mate?
> >
> > "THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE. IT MAY CONTAIN
> > PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED DISCLOSURE
> > IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS TRANSMISSION IN
> > ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR
> > TRANSMISSION. PLEASE DESTROY THE ORIGINAL. THANK YOU."
>
> THIS JOKE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE. IT MAY CONTAIN
> HUMOR THAT IS ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE AVERAGE RECIPIENT. IF YOU FOR
> SOME REASON DO NOT GET THE JOKE, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO
> THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR TRANSMISSION. PLEASE DESTROY THE
> ORIGINAL. THANK YOU.

I don't know which to laugh at more!

I don't, but I did get him to try Debain (ok, Ubuntu, but still) on his laptop.

apt-get rid of windows XP

Next, to get him to start helping with Myth development (he's a
programer, so I'm hoping)...

--
Steve