Mailing List Archive

mythwelcome shows no screen
Hi,

I tried mythwelcome and I love the idea. Now, for some reason, I
cannot start mythwelcome automatically. I run evilwm, and when I try
to start an xterm with ctrl-enter after the mythwelcome program has
started, I get nothing. Loggin in from a remote host via ssh confirms
that the program mythwelcome is running. How are you all starting this
thing?
My .xinitrc/.xsession contains the following:

# Merge X resources from ~/.Xdefaults
[ -f $HOME/.Xdefaults ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xdefaults

# Set the background and root cursor shape
xsetroot -solid \#400040
xsetroot -cursor_name top_left_arrow

# Start evilwm - snap to borders within 10 pixels
/usr/bin/evilwm -snap 6 -bw 0 &
#/usr/bin/evilwm &

/usr/bin/xsetroot -solid black
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s noblank &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms &

#do some decoding
/usr/bin/dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=65k count=50

#[ -e /home/mythtv/.mythguilock ] || mythfrontend &
/usr/bin/mythwelcome &

irexec &

xhost +

# Transfer control to xclock - killing xclock (with
Ctrl+Alt+Escape, say)
# will exit our session
exec xclock -digital -padding 2 -g -0+0

What do I do to fix this?

/Fredrik

--
My Gentoo + PVR-350 + IVTV + MythTV blog is on
http://gentoomythtv.blogspot.com/
Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
Wow, didn't know this existed. Is there some way of either putting that
screen, or putting the info from in on something like a desktop background,
or just something that doesn't take over the whole screen when you click on
it (but not a window, something fullsize...)?

and err.. to the guy who asked the question... you probably know more about
it than myself, but have you tried putting /usr/bin/mythwelcome into
/home/user/.kde/Autostart ? That's where I put /usr/bin/mythfrontend and it
worked fine.

As a side note, something i just figured out:

mythfrontend && shutdown -h now

:o) neat. now i can go to sleep without having to get up and shut the thing
down :o)

Christopher

Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
HI,

I feel that I have to add something to my description of hte problem.
I get X starting on a PVR-350 with the xdriver loaded ok. So, if I
start an xterm automatically, the way I used to start mythfrontend on
previous versions of MythTV, I get the xterm on the screen.

However, if I remove the startup of xterm and add startup of
mythwelcome instead, I get a short flicker of the frontend starting up
(I see some of the colour od the theme I am using) and then I get a
black screen that is frozen. Normally, evilwm givs me the ability to
start an xterm through ctrl-enter when there is nothing on the screen,
but this does not work when having started mythwelcome. This is
indicates, to me, that the program is running. has focus, but does not
show anything. 'top' on a remote console confirms this.

The same thing happen if i start mythwelcome using irexec and the
remote or from an xterm.
It worked one time, and then it stopped working.

Any ideas on how I find the reason for my troubles?

/Fredrik

Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
Hi again,

Sorry to answer my own post, but I have more information that might
help someone out there figure out what is wrong.

From the xterm I started up as a part of the startup process, I issued:

# mythwelcome 2>&1 |tee start

After this, of course, I got a frozen screen. However, after having
restarted X, I had this information in the 'start' file:
# cat start
2006-02-19 20:18:32.766 Using runtime prefix = /usr
2006-02-19 20:18:32.796 New DB connection, total: 1
2006-02-19 20:18:32.801 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
2006-02-19 20:18:32.804 Total desktop dim: 720x576, with 1 screen[s].
2006-02-19 20:18:32.865 Using screen 0, 720x576 at 0,0
2006-02-19 20:18:32.899 Total desktop dim: 720x576, with 1 screen[s].
2006-02-19 20:18:32.921 Using screen 0, 720x576 at 0,0
2006-02-19 20:18:32.935 Switching to square mode (MythCenter)
2006-02-19 20:18:33.240 Joystick disabled.

So, absolutelly no error messages! Strange! Where does the program go?

/Fredrik

Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am I the ony one having this problem, or perhaps one of the few people
having discovered this excellent program ;-)

I would appreciate any help I could get in this. I think this error is
SO STRANGE!

Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
Fredrik wrote:
> I tried mythwelcome and I love the idea. Now, for some reason, I
> cannot start mythwelcome automatically. I run evilwm, and when I try
> to start an xterm with ctrl-enter after the mythwelcome program has
> started, I get nothing. Loggin in from a remote host via ssh confirms
> that the program mythwelcome is running.
> Am I the ony one having this problem

I have the exact same problem! I'm also running evilwm and my ~/.xinitrc
looks similar to yours.

Max.

Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
Hmm, ok... is this an evliwm problem then? How could it be?

/Fredrik

Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

I would just like to confirm that the problem I was having was due to
evilwm doing strange things. I switched to fvwm2 and everything works!

/Fredrik

Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
On 03/24/2006 01:40 PM, Fredrik Karlsson wrote:
> I would just like to confirm that the problem I was having was due to
> evilwm doing strange things. I switched to fvwm2 and everything works!

What an evil thing for it to do...

Mike
Re: mythwelcome shows no screen [ In reply to ]
For what it's worth, I found that the underlying issue had something to do
with keyboard focus (the call to setActiveWindow() was dying) - running
mythwelcome under an xterm avoids the issue, i.e. "xterm -e mythwelcome".

HTH

Cheers,
Russell.