build the knowledge contained there.

--
Steve
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 19 January 2006 21:22, Steve Adeff wrote:
> I just want to emphasize the fact that the official MythTV.org wiki is up
> at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> The site still has a lot of room to grow, adding hardware setup, work on
> the User Manual, etc. It also has a lot of good information there. So do a
> search there before coming here, add information when you solve problems,
> and help build the knowledge contained there.

An additional note - I'll be adding an "official" link from the main
mythtv.org website as soon as 0.19's released (ie., one week-ish)

Isaac
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On 1/19/06, Isaac Richards <ijr@case.edu> wrote:

> On Thursday 19 January 2006 21:22, Steve Adeff wrote:
> > I just want to emphasize the fact that the official MythTV.org wiki is
> up
> > at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > The site still has a lot of room to grow, adding hardware setup, work on
> > the User Manual, etc. It also has a lot of good information there. So do
> > search there before coming here, add information when you solve
> problems,
> > and help build the knowledge contained there.
>
> An additional note - I'll be adding an "official" link from the main
> mythtv.org website as soon as 0.19's released (ie., one week-ish)
>
> Isaac

Yes!! We finally have a wiki!

Are there any guidelines for what should be on it and how it should be
added? I see that an article I wrote for mythtv.info got copied, modified,
and added - I wasn't sure what the etiquite was for it - can I / should I
put my name back on the article? It's one of those "here's a script to
control an STB and details of the cable needed" and I've been getting
individual emails about it ever since I posted it - should my name be
attached to it to field questions still, since it's not a very mature howto,
yet? (since I have not yet even gotten a confirmed "I tried it and it works"
yet)

- Jeff
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]

> I see that an article I wrote for mythtv.info got copied, modified, and
> added

Actually, I just remembered reading awhile back that a notice was posted on
mythtv.info saying that the wiki was snapshotted and older copies might end
up online if edited after a certain date, so I suppose that's what happened.

But the ettiquite question is still out there - are there guidelines to be
posted somewhere for what pages should contain / shouldn't contain?
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Friday 20 January 2006 03:22, Steve Adeff wrote:
> I just want to emphasize the fact that the official MythTV.org wiki is up
> at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> The site still has a lot of room to grow, adding hardware setup, work on
> the User Manual, etc. It also has a lot of good information there. So do a
> search there before coming here, add information when you solve problems,
> and help build the knowledge contained there.
Mhh, I started to edit some pages and I have some questions.

What's the best way to on include a script? I can not find a way to attach
somthing, so I copied it in the text. But that's looking fine.

Is there a place in the wiki where I can describe my setup ?

Stef
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
> > An additional note - I'll be adding an "official" link from the main
> > mythtv.org website as soon as 0.19's released (ie., one week-ish)
> >
> > Isaac
>
> Yes!! We finally have a wiki!

Forget the wiki, 0.19 is going to be released! :)

So what's the plan? A release candidate first, or just a 0.19-fixes
branch with releases if necessary?

Alex
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:20:35PM -0500, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> But the ettiquite question is still out there - are there guidelines
> to be posted somewhere for what pages should contain / shouldn't
> contain?

It's more a question of style and where to put pages; I'll be working
on that issue fairly extensively this weekend, Jeff. I've written that
sort of thing for a couple other mediawikiae; it ought to transpose
fairly well.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Designer Baylink RFC 2100

A: No.
Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:33:31AM +0100, Stef Coene wrote:
> What's the best way to on include a script? I can not find a way to attach
> somthing, so I copied it in the text. But that's looking fine.

If you indent material on a space, it will be set in fixed pitch and
boxed. The Help link will be redirecting to Wikipedia's help pages
shortly.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Designer Baylink RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates The Things I Think '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA http://baylink.pitas.com +1 727 647 1274

A: No.
Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Friday 20 January 2006 03:33, Stef Coene wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2006 03:22, Steve Adeff wrote:
> > I just want to emphasize the fact that the official MythTV.org wiki is up
> > at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > The site still has a lot of room to grow, adding hardware setup, work on
> > the User Manual, etc. It also has a lot of good information there. So do
> > a search there before coming here, add information when you solve
> > problems, and help build the knowledge contained there.
>
> Mhh, I started to edit some pages and I have some questions.
>
> What's the best way to on include a script? I can not find a way to attach
> somthing, so I copied it in the text. But that's looking fine.
>
> Is there a place in the wiki where I can describe my setup ?
>

> Stef

I like to use <pre><nowiki> for scripts etc, thats what I've been doing on my
pages so far.

As for style, etc, Jay mentioned working with Jeff on this. My chime in is
that you should try and copy as much as possible what other articles are
there. I spend about 1/2 my time editing articles to make them all have the
same feel, etc, so don't worry about how things look.

You folks can all add information I can't, from your own personal experience,
etc. I have no problem going through articles and updating formating to give
a more fluid look to the site.

--
Steve
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]

> > Is there a place in the wiki where I can describe my setup ?
> >

> > Stef
>
> You folks can all add information I can't, from your own personal
> experience,
> etc. I have no problem going through articles and updating formating to
> give
> a more fluid look to the site.

I think he meant like an
everyone-makes-a-page-to-describe-their-own-mythbox. Is that
an acceptable use? I think it would be neat to see, especially if some of
the more
creative boxes included photos and writeups, along with part lists, but
mythtv.org might
not be the place for it (unless somebody gives the OK, and I'm all for it)
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
Jeff Simpson wrote:

> > Is there a place in the wiki where I can describe my setup ?
> >

> > Stef
>
> You folks can all add information I can't, from your own personal
> experience,
> etc. I have no problem going through articles and updating
> formating to give
> a more fluid look to the site.
>

> I think he meant like an
> everyone-makes-a-page-to-describe-their-own-mythbox. Is that
> an acceptable use? I think it would be neat to see, especially if some
> of the more
> creative boxes included photos and writeups, along with part lists,
> but mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org> might
> not be the place for it (unless somebody gives the OK, and I'm all for it)
If you click your username after registering on the top bar, you get a
user specific page that you can edit. I think this would be a perfect
place for describing your own box.

Kevin
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
> If you click your username after registering on the top bar, you get a
> user specific page that you can edit. I think this would be a perfect
> place for describing your own box.
>
> Kevin

I'm something of a novice when using wikis. Is there an easy way to
see all the User pages, or does someone need to make a "List of Users
with profile pages" page that each person has to add themselves to?

--Phill W.
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
Phill Wiggin wrote:
>> If you click your username after registering on the top bar, you get a
>> user specific page that you can edit. I think this would be a perfect
>> place for describing your own box.
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> I'm something of a novice when using wikis. Is there an easy way to
> see all the User pages, or does someone need to make a "List of Users
> with profile pages" page that each person has to add themselves to?

It is under special pages

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Listusers

Red linked pages have no content, blue linked pages do

Thanks,
Kevin
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Friday 20 January 2006 14:37, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> > If you click your username after registering on the top bar, you get a
> > user specific page that you can edit. I think this would be a perfect
> > place for describing your own box.
> >
> > Kevin
>
> I'm something of a novice when using wikis. Is there an easy way to
> see all the User pages, or does someone need to make a "List of Users
> with profile pages" page that each person has to add themselves to?

here ya go ;-)

Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]

------------------------------

--------------------------------

> here ya go ;-)
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Listusers
>
> --
> Steve

Thanks much. I've learned something new today. >:}

Phill
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:41:36AM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> If you click your username after registering on the top bar, you get a
> user specific page that you can edit. I think this would be a perfect
> place for describing your own box.

It would, and I'm probably going to whip up an Infobox this weekend, to
make it easier for people. (Check out any of the Hurricane pages from
last year at Wikipedia, if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Designer Baylink RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates The Things I Think '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA http://baylink.pitas.com +1 727 647 1274

A: No.
Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Friday 20 January 2006 18:25, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> I think he meant like an
> everyone-makes-a-page-to-describe-their-own-mythbox. Is that
> an acceptable use? I think it would be neat to see, especially if some of
> the more
> creative boxes included photos and writeups, along with part lists, but
> mythtv.org might
> not be the place for it (unless somebody gives the OK, and I'm all for it)
I think it can be the place if there is a page that can group the pages and
create an overview of the pages. Like a MyMythBox with sub pages like
MyMtyhBE and MyMythFE and so on.
In the perfect world, each page has a list of fixed parameters so you describe
the setup. Like the type of case, mobo, cpu, memory, tuner, remote ...
So the user can query: "give me all the sileverstone cases", or "give me an
overview of remotes".

In choosing my frontend I was very interested in the setup of others and why
they choose something. Grouping such information is very handy, even if it
only contains links to external pages.

Stef
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:12:24AM +0100, Stef Coene wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2006 18:25, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> > I think he meant like an
> > everyone-makes-a-page-to-describe-their-own-mythbox. Is that
> > an acceptable use? I think it would be neat to see, especially if some of
> > the more
> > creative boxes included photos and writeups, along with part lists, but
> > mythtv.org might
> > not be the place for it (unless somebody gives the OK, and I'm all for it)

> I think it can be the place if there is a page that can group the
> pages and create an overview of the pages. Like a MyMythBox with sub
> pages like MyMtyhBE and MyMythFE and so on. In the perfect world, each
> page has a list of fixed parameters so you describe the setup. Like
> the type of case, mobo, cpu, memory, tuner, remote ... So the user can
> query: "give me all the sileverstone cases", or "give me an overview
> of remotes".

Mediawiki is not a database. And I think someone's already doing that,
anyway...

> In choosing my frontend I was very interested in the setup of others
> and why they choose something. Grouping such information is very
> handy, even if it only contains links to external pages.

Certainly. But User pages are the place for that, I think. For the
meantime, anyway.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Designer Baylink RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates The Things I Think '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA http://baylink.pitas.com +1 727 647 1274

A: No.
Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?
Re: MythTV.org Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 21 January 2006 05:36, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > In choosing my frontend I was very interested in the setup of others
> > and why they choose something. Grouping such information is very
> > handy, even if it only contains links to external pages.
>
> Certainly. But User pages are the place for that, I think. For the
> meantime, anyway.
Ok, I will put it on my User page. Anyway, I have to put it somewhere or I
forget what I did to get it working ;)
It can be moved later to an other place.

Stef