Mailing List Archive

LIRC not working within Myth
Hi Guys,

I'm slowly fixing all the problems of my Myth setup, but I just can't figure
out my LIRC problem...

Here's the issue:

LIRCD seems to run on startup, but IRW won't work and a /sbin/service lircd
status comes back with "lircd dead but subsys locked"

If I do a /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c and then start the service manually,
everything looks good and irw shows me button presses like a madman...
After getting it to work, I start up my frontend and try using the remote
there- nothing happens.

Here's my configuration:

Athlon 2100 running Fedora Core 4 installed using Jarod's guide
PVR-150 using the new grey/black remote.

I'm using the lircrc file for that remote listed on Jarod's page. It seems
to be complete and in the correct places, including a .lircrc file located
in the MYTHTV user's home folder.

During the course of troubleshooting, I installed LIRC 0.7.3pre1.

The only thread that I can is is very similar is this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/157458?search_string=ivtv%20ir%20reset;#157458

I tried the IVTV ir reset thing with no luck...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-John
Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
John DiLorenzo wrote:
> I'm using the lircrc file for that remote listed on Jarod's page. It
> seems
> to be complete and in the correct places, including a .lircrc file located
> in the MYTHTV user's home folder.

Using a ~/.lircrc file leads one to believe that you didn't compile lirc
as an option in myth. If that's the case, then you should look into firing
up '/usr/bin/irxevent &' in ~/.xinitrc. A better way, however, is to
compile lirc in myth and then put your lirc config in ~/.mythtv/lircrc.
That's how I've set mine up and it works rather nicely.

Hope it helps,
Roy

Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm slowly fixing all the problems of my Myth setup, but I just can't
> figure out my LIRC problem...
>
> Here's the issue:
>
> LIRCD seems to run on startup, but IRW won't work and a /sbin/service lircd
> status comes back with "lircd dead but subsys locked"
>
> If I do a /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c and then start the service manually,
> everything looks good and irw shows me button presses like a madman...
> After getting it to work, I start up my frontend and try using the remote
> there- nothing happens.
>
> Here's my configuration:
>
> Athlon 2100 running Fedora Core 4 installed using Jarod's guide
> PVR-150 using the new grey/black remote.
>
> I'm using the lircrc file for that remote listed on Jarod's page. It seems
> to be complete and in the correct places, including a .lircrc file located
> in the MYTHTV user's home folder.

I've got the same problem. I've searched the archives without much
luck. The only thing that gets close is a guy who said fixed the
issue by updating his lirc-kmdl file.

I'm using FC4-i386 and atrpms. I immediately tried to upgrade to see
if there was a newer version available. Unfortunately I'm getting 404
errors for the stable branch of atrpms right now.
Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:54:51 -0700, John DiLorenzo wrote:
>Hi Guys,

>I'm slowly fixing all the problems of my Myth setup, but I just can't figure
>out my LIRC problem...

>Here's the issue:

>LIRCD seems to run on startup, but IRW won't work and a /sbin/service lircd
>status comes back with "lircd dead but subsys locked"

If it does this on every boot then there is something wrong in the lirc
backend. Does it say this if you reboot and immediately run 'service lirc
status' or did you get this after playing around? If the latter then
whatever you *did* killed it.
For testing, you may want to try adding a script to rc.local which does a)
rm -f -y /var/lock/subsys/lircd and b) service lircd restart.

At least then you can be sure that the backend is up.

>If I do a /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c and then start the service manually,
>everything looks good and irw shows me button presses like a madman...
>After getting it to work, I start up my frontend and try using the remote
>there- nothing happens.

>Here's my configuration:

>Athlon 2100 running Fedora Core 4 installed using Jarod's guide
>PVR-150 using the new grey/black remote.

>I'm using the lircrc file for that remote listed on Jarod's page. It seems
>to be complete and in the correct places, including a .lircrc file located
>in the MYTHTV user's home folder.

>Any ideas?

During my 8 round arm-wrestle with lirc, I discovered
a) that multiple copies of lircrc (and .lircrc) are a prescription
for disaster. I removed all of them except for the ultimate default
instance /etc/.lircrc.

b) that the *names* of the buttons in the lircd.conf and lircrc
files must be exactly the same for (at least) myth to handle them
properly. If the incoming ir code ("00012345" etc.) maps to "VolumeUp" in
lircd.conf, it must be mapped exactly to "VolumeUp" in lircrc (not Vol+ or
Volume+) for the match to work.... Think of the codes and descriptions as
case statements, in the 2 files:
Case "00012345" then "VolumeUp"....... Case "VolumeUp" then "irxevent
V+5".....

Once I got that correct, my remote worked in myth... (not that the buttons
map to things that I find useful, but at least things are being passed
through properly).

HTH

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury@mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada Facsimile: 905-271-1638

Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
> I've got the same problem. I've searched the archives without much
> luck. The only thing that gets close is a guy who said fixed the
> issue by updating his lirc-kmdl file.

I'm that guy. I had the same issue after doing a dist-upgrade and
jarod instructed me to upgrade my lirc-kmdl. I did that, rebooted and
lirc worked after that.

Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
OK, tonight I'll try the following:

1. Figure out if LIRC is dead on startup, or if it's me running IRW that
kills it. Then create a script to ensure LIRC runs properly on reboot.

2. Remove all copies of lircrc besides /etc/.lircrc.

3. Compare lircrc and lircd.conf to make sure the buttons are named the
same.

If this doesn't work, I may try upgrading the lirc-kmdl. Last thing to try
is reinstall myth from the tarball and verify that LIRC is compiled with
it...

Sound good?
Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
Well, no luck.

I'm going to try to rebuild mythtv from the tarball and see what I get.

FYI, the LIRCD service is DOA before I use it, it seems to need the modprobe
lirc_i2c before it will do anything.

lircrc and lircd.conf files look good. I removed all the lircrc files but
/etc/.lircrc I may put them back after rebuilding.

Oh well, tomorrow's project....
Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
John DiLorenzo wrote:
> FYI, the LIRCD service is DOA before I use it, it seems to need the
> modprobe
> lirc_i2c before it will do anything.

Do you have i2c support in your kernel?

Device Drivers -> I2C support -> <*> I2C support
Device Drivers -> I2C support -> <*> I2C device interface

The above worked for me with my Hauppauge pvr-250 which uses i2c. Of
course, the ivtv and related modules had to be loaded first.

Also, since I'm using a kernel > 2.6.13, I had to use the lirc out of CVS.

Roy

Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
Which version of LIRC are you running Roy?
Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
John DiLorenzo wrote:
> Which version of LIRC are you running Roy?

I checked mine out of CVS, so it claims to be 0.8.0, but it's really a
pre-release. The problem I encounted was that the current stable version
(0.7.2) won't work with newer kernels (>2.6.13) because of some changes in
the kernel source.

You can either check out a copy from cvs yourself, or if you're
interested, I have the tarball I used (just a simple 'make dist') from
when I checked out the version I compiled. You can grab it here:
http://www.jehster.net/gentoo/packages/lirc/lirc-0.8.0_pre1.tar.bz2. It's
time stamp is November 14.

Hope it helps,
Roy

Re: LIRC not working within Myth [ In reply to ]
On 07/12/05, John DiLorenzo <jdilorenzo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, no luck.
>
> I'm going to try to rebuild mythtv from the tarball and see what I get.
>
> FYI, the LIRCD service is DOA before I use it, it seems to need the
> modprobe lirc_i2c before it will do anything.
>
> lircrc and lircd.conf files look good. I removed all the lircrc files but
> /etc/.lircrc I may put them back after rebuilding.
>
> Oh well, tomorrow's project....

One big reason for LIRC failing at startup (which I've experienced
before) is that the device it is trying to use (specified in the LIRC
daemon file) may not be present. The names of LIRC devices is
controlled by udev when loading the LIRC drivers - sometimes /dev/lirc
is created and sometimes /dev/lirc0 depending on the udev rule being
used. When you have loaded the lirc_dev and lirc_i2c drivers, check
your /dev directory to see which LIRC devices have been created. Then
check the LIRC startup file and make sure the correct device is being
used. Also check the user and file permissions for the devices and
make sure they are accessible.

Nick