Mailing List Archive

Xbox as FE
Hi All

I am currently using minimyth on an EPIA-M as my frontend, and it
generally works really well. However the connection to my TV is only
Composite-out so the quality is not too hot (my TV doesn't do S-Video).

I do have an Xbox running XBMC connected to my TV via SCART and the
quality when playing videos is great so I'd like to investigate the
possibility of using it as my front end. Of course another benefit of
this would be that I get remote control functionality for free, as I'm
using a wireless keyboard at the moment.

However, most of the information I've found on the web is out of date,
and the instructions at http://bit.blkbk.com/ refer to Xebian 1.0.3
which I cannot locate at all.

So with this in mind, can anyone share their experiences of setting this
up? Can the xbox hardware handle the load? My back end is saving the DVB
transport stream straight to disk and i'm not transcoding anything.

Pros / Cons?

Cheers!

James
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
I successfully netbooted Gentoo 2005.0 without modifying any hardware.
While i had some lirc problems it ran mythtv fairly well... I'm loading
2005.1 now to see if I can get lirc working. Will keep you posted.

Vic

Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
On 27/09/05, James Pattinson <jamesp@hisser.org> wrote:

> So with this in mind, can anyone share their experiences of setting this
> up? Can the xbox hardware handle the load? My back end is saving the DVB
> transport stream straight to disk and i'm not transcoding anything.
>
> Pros / Cons?

Works fine for me (NTSC resolution). I'm using xebian (can't remember
the version off hand) and the mythtv install was a simple process of
updating my /etc/apt/sources.list to include the mythtv repository and
then running 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get install
mythtv-frontend'

Xebian Download:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=54192&package_id=57509

--
A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting dumb?
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
> I am currently using minimyth on an EPIA-M as my frontend, and it
> generally works really well. However the connection to my TV is only
> Composite-out so the quality is not too hot (my TV doesn't do S-Video).
>
> I do have an Xbox running XBMC connected to my TV via SCART and the
> quality when playing videos is great so I'd like to investigate the
> possibility of using it as my front end. Of course another benefit of
> this would be that I get remote control functionality for free, as I'm
> using a wireless keyboard at the moment.
>
> However, most of the information I've found on the web is out of date,
> and the instructions at http://bit.blkbk.com/ refer to Xebian 1.0.3
> which I cannot locate at all.
>
> So with this in mind, can anyone share their experiences of setting this
> up? Can the xbox hardware handle the load? My back end is saving the DVB
> transport stream straight to disk and i'm not transcoding anything.
>
> Pros / Cons?

Lots on this in the archives so I'm not going to go into much detail
other than to say that another option to xebian is xbmcmythtv which is
a python script based GUI front end which runs in Xbox Media Centre.
Find it at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128346

One of the big advantages of this solution is that you don't have to
boot into Linux so startup times are a _lot_ quicker, plus it's
probably a bit easier to configure as it's just a few settings screens
- you don't have to worry about setting up a whole linux OS etc.
Downside is that the functionality is not as rich and you have to
download a patched mplayer to play files transcoded to MPEG4.

Regards,
Phill
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
I just finished gentoo 2005.1 booting with a working lirc install.
Turns out the usb drivers were modules and not compiled into the kernel
as I thought I had made them. Anyway, the xbox boots straight into
linux using Xromwell. I apparently have a 10 gig HD so I'm going to
take the other 2 gigs that aren't used and make a swap partition so that
games won't know the difference. Let me know if you're still interested.

Vic

Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Phill Edwards wrote:

>Lots on this in the archives so I'm not going to go into much detail
>other than to say that another option to xebian is xbmcmythtv which is
>a python script based GUI front end which runs in Xbox Media Centre.
>Find it at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128346

Thanks to everyone who replied so far - I am going to try Phill's
suggestion as I like the idea of not have to reboot into Linux to run
the front end. I already have a GentooX install on the Xbox that I could
use if I find xbmcmythtv doesn't fit the bill for some reason.

>One of the big advantages of this solution is that you don't have to
>boot into Linux so startup times are a _lot_ quicker, plus it's
>probably a bit easier to configure as it's just a few settings screens
>- you don't have to worry about setting up a whole linux OS etc.
>Downside is that the functionality is not as rich and you have to
>download a patched mplayer to play files transcoded to MPEG4.

I don't think I'm using MPEG4 - it's the stream from the DVB transponder
which I think is MPEG2 though I could be wrong!

Cheers,

James
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
On 9/27/05, James Pattinson <jamesp@hisser.org> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am currently using minimyth on an EPIA-M as my frontend, and it
> generally works really well. However the connection to my TV is only
> Composite-out so the quality is not too hot (my TV doesn't do S-Video).
>
> I do have an Xbox running XBMC connected to my TV via SCART and the
> quality when playing videos is great so I'd like to investigate the
> possibility of using it as my front end. Of course another benefit of
> this would be that I get remote control functionality for free, as I'm
> using a wireless keyboard at the moment.

Silly question,

Why wouldn't you just look for an svideo->SCART adapter for the M10k?
Are there VGA->SCART adapters? I'm on the wrong side of the pond to
have any first hand experience with SCART so forgive my ignorance ;)

*shrug* If you have an otherwise working setup with the m10k, unless
you're enjoying yourself working on the modded xbox... why not a
simple solution?

e.
--
http://www.byopvr.com
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Erik Pettersen wrote:

> Why wouldn't you just look for an svideo->SCART adapter for the M10k?
>
>Are there VGA->SCART adapters? I'm on the wrong side of the pond to
>have any first hand experience with SCART so forgive my ignorance ;)
>
>*shrug* If you have an otherwise working setup with the m10k, unless
>you're enjoying yourself working on the modded xbox... why not a
>simple solution?

I did buy an S-Video to SCART adaptor, but the quality isn't hot. It
seems to just convert the S-Video signal into the equivalent of a
composite signal that SCART understands, so not RGB.

I found a VGA to SCART adaptor but it was about £70, and that's a bit of
a risk without knowing what the quality is going to be like.

Also - running the FE on the Xbox will may end up being the more simple
solution if it lets me get rid of the m10k box. Less stuff to clutter up
the lounge :)

Cheers
James
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Ben Holt wrote:
> Works fine for me (NTSC resolution). I'm using xebian (can't remember
> the version off hand) and the mythtv install was a simple process of
> updating my /etc/apt/sources.list to include the mythtv repository and
> then running 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get install
> mythtv-frontend'

When did you do this? What version of xebian did you use and what is
your sources.list?

I'm asking because I tried this yesterday with xebian 1.1.4 and Matt
Zimmerman's packages and it didn't work.

I don't have much experience with debian, but I think that xebian is
based on debian-stable while mythtv is compiled for unstable, and it's
not as simple as running 'apt-get install'.

The next thing I tried was to recompile the mythtv packages on the xbox.
I had to leave it compiling during the night and I don't know whether it
has finished yet...

I also tried the scripts on <http://bit.blkbk.com/>, but the last
version is from a few months ago, based on xebian-1.1.0, which was
before sarge became debian-stable, and they don't work anymore.

Does anyone know how to *easily* install mythtv on xebian. Compiling
mythtv from sources is painfully slow on the Xbox.

Thanks.

--
Vladan Bato
vbato@ieee.org
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
> Thanks to everyone who replied so far - I am going to try Phill's
> suggestion as I like the idea of not have to reboot into Linux to run
> the front end. I already have a GentooX install on the Xbox that I could
> use if I find xbmcmythtv doesn't fit the bill for some reason.
>

> I don't think I'm using MPEG4 - it's the stream from the DVB transponder
> which I think is MPEG2 though I could be wrong!

The one feature that comes to mind that doesn't work as well on the xbmc
frontend as it does in Linux is live tv. Last time I checked, they have made
great strides with this (before you had to exit out, change the channel,
start watching again), but it's still not up to the Linux frontend level.

Tom
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
"I also tried the scripts on <http://bit.blkbk.com/>, but the last
version is from a few months ago, based on xebian-1.1.0, which was
before sarge became debian-stable, and they don't work anymore."

If you modify the installation script in a text editor from
http://bit.blkbk.com/ and replace the reference to the version of xebian you
have it should work. For instance in the script is a reference to the
version of xebian to run I believe it defaults to 1.1.0 but I used 1.1.2 if
I recall.
I also didn't have any luck compiling on an Xbox due to the missing of a
lot of dependancies.
AJM,
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:08:33 -0400
A JM <vbtalent@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you modify the installation script in a text editor from
> http://bit.blkbk.com/ and replace the reference to the version of
> xebian you have it should work. For instance in the script is a
> reference to the version of xebian to run I believe it defaults to
> 1.1.0 but I used 1.1.2 if I recall.

Hmm, I doubt that would work. I thought about doing that, but I chose
to manually execute everything the script does. I updated sources.list
as the script would, and then tried to call it with -u (if I remember
correctly) to update the packages (it lets you choose which packages to
install). It didn't work because of dependencies that where
impossible to satisfy.

I might have made a mistake, but I tried several different variations
of sources.list and none of them would let me install mythtv-frontend.

> I also didn't have any luck compiling on an Xbox due to the missing
> of a lot of dependancies.

After I failed to install the binary packages, I tried rebuilding them.
By running:
apt-get build-dep mythtv
apt-get -b source mythtv

it downloaded all dependencies for building mythtv and started
compiling. After a few hours I had to go to bed and I didn't check this
morning whether it had finished.

(I may have used mythtv-frontend in the commands above, I can't
remember exactly).

--
Vladan Bato
vbato@ieee.org
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
On 10/3/05, Vladan Bato <vbato@ieee.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:08:33 -0400
> A JM <vbtalent@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you modify the installation script in a text editor from
> > http://bit.blkbk.com/ and replace the reference to the version of
> > xebian you have it should work. For instance in the script is a
> > reference to the version of xebian to run I believe it defaults to
> > 1.1.0 but I used 1.1.2 if I recall.
>
> Hmm, I doubt that would work. I thought about doing that, but I chose
> to manually execute everything the script does. I updated sources.list
> as the script would, and then tried to call it with -u (if I remember
> correctly) to update the packages (it lets you choose which packages to
> install). It didn't work because of dependencies that where
> impossible to satisfy.
>
> I might have made a mistake, but I tried several different variations
> of sources.list and none of them would let me install mythtv-frontend.
>
> > I also didn't have any luck compiling on an Xbox due to the missing
> > of a lot of dependancies.
>
> After I failed to install the binary packages, I tried rebuilding them.
> By running:
> apt-get build-dep mythtv
> apt-get -b source mythtv
>
> it downloaded all dependencies for building mythtv and started
> compiling. After a few hours I had to go to bed and I didn't check this
> morning whether it had finished.
>
> (I may have used mythtv-frontend in the commands above, I can't
> remember exactly).

I don't know if this will help but I found this tip in an e-mail from Rob
Anderson:
ftp.nerim.net <ftp://ftp.nerim.net/> has changed the name from unstable to
sid. sources.list should read...
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main

--
I probably still have a few (well, now a whole bunch) gmail invites.
Drop me a line (off list) if you'd like an account.
Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
I laid out all the steps on this forum:
http://www.mythtv-xbox.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36

This is to install mythtv v0.18.x in xebian v1.1.4.
So it might be worth a look. The main holdback right
now I think is the packages. The last install I did
was on 8-14-05 and it worked perfectly. There are
some additional replies that say what other sources to
add to the sources.lst file.
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
On 10/3/05, Adam Anderson <adamand@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I laid out all the steps on this forum:
> http://www.mythtv-xbox.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36
>
> This is to install mythtv v0.18.x in xebian v1.1.4.
> So it might be worth a look. The main holdback right
> now I think is the packages. The last install I did
> was on 8-14-05 and it worked perfectly. There are
> some additional replies that say what other sources to
> add to the sources.lst file.

I have created a torrent to distribute my entire xebian installation with
mythtv frontend installed.
http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397792

--
Rob Anderson
riznob@gmail.com
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
> On 10/3/05, Adam Anderson <adamand@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> I laid out all the steps on this forum:
>> http://www.mythtv-xbox.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36
>>
>> This is to install mythtv v0.18.x in xebian v1.1.4.
>> So it might be worth a look. The main holdback right
>> now I think is the packages. The last install I did
>> was on 8-14-05 and it worked perfectly. There are
>> some additional replies that say what other sources to
>> add to the sources.lst file.
>
> I have created a torrent to distribute my entire xebian installation with
> mythtv frontend installed.
> http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397792
>
> --
> Rob Anderson
> riznob@gmail.com

Thanks Rob! I downloaded it, and mounted the rootfs on my backend machine
( mount /path/to/debian/rootfs /mnt/xboxroot/ -t ext2 -o loop ) then
edited the /etc/hostname and /etc/network/interfaces files to match up
with my current setup.

Anything else I might need to edit? I obviously have to move my
customized .lircrc and lircd.conf files, and the extra themes that I've
got installed as well, but I think that should do it.

I'm going to try it out when I get home, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Greg
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/05, greg@nodecam.com <greg@nodecam.com> wrote:

> > On 10/3/05, Adam Anderson <adamand@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> I laid out all the steps on this forum:
> >> http://www.mythtv-xbox.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36
> >>
> >> This is to install mythtv v0.18.x in xebian v1.1.4.
> >> So it might be worth a look. The main holdback right
> >> now I think is the packages. The last install I did
> >> was on 8-14-05 and it worked perfectly. There are
> >> some additional replies that say what other sources to
> >> add to the sources.lst file.
> >
> > I have created a torrent to distribute my entire xebian installation
> with
> > mythtv frontend installed.
> > http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397792
> >
> > --
> > Rob Anderson
> > riznob@gmail.com
>
> Thanks Rob! I downloaded it, and mounted the rootfs on my backend machine
> ( mount /path/to/debian/rootfs /mnt/xboxroot/ -t ext2 -o loop ) then
> edited the /etc/hostname and /etc/network/interfaces files to match up
> with my current setup.
>
> Anything else I might need to edit? I obviously have to move my
> customized .lircrc and lircd.conf files, and the extra themes that I've
> got installed as well, but I think that should do it.
>
> I'm going to try it out when I get home, and I'll let you know how it
> goes.
>
> Greg

You'll need to edit /etc/hosts. Change the entry for 'mythtv' to point to
the IP address of your backend. Don't forget to add permissions to the
backend database also.

--
Rob Anderson
riznob@gmail.com
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Robert Anderson wrote:

> You'll need to edit /etc/hosts. Change the entry for 'mythtv' to point
> to the IP address of your backend. Don't forget to add permissions to
> the backend database also.

Rob, how (or is it possible) to increase the size of the virtual disk
image of the setup? I'd like to bump mine up a bit so I can compile a
current frontend.

Thanks
Tom
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Robert Anderson wrote:

> I have created a torrent to distribute my entire xebian installation
> with mythtv frontend installed.
>
> http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397792

Hi, I have downloaded but I have a question.

I didn't install it yet, as I have an *almost* working installation.
The only thing that's not working is the DVD remote.

I see the following in my dmesg:
devfs_register(lirc/0): could not append to parent, err: -17

And apparently, to fix it, lirc needs to be patched and recompiled, but
this in turn requires a kernel recompilation (I couldn't compile lirc
with just configured kernel sources).

After I downloaded your xebian installation, I tried poking around the
filesystem and in /var/log/dmesg noticed the same error message that I get.

So the question is: have you tested the Xbox DVD remote with it?

This is also a plea to everybody: Does anyone know how to make lirc work
on xebian 1.1.4?

--
Vladan Bato
vbato@ieee.org
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
If you're compiling from source you'll need the lirc libs for the DVD remote to work:

# apt-get install liblircclient-dev

Then do a make clean (I also deleted all libmyth files in /usr/local/lib) then do a make.

Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Vladan Bato wrote:

> Robert Anderson wrote:
>

>> I have created a torrent to distribute my entire xebian installation
>> with mythtv frontend installed.
>>
>> http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397792
>>

> Hi, I have downloaded but I have a question.
>
> I didn't install it yet, as I have an *almost* working installation.
> The only thing that's not working is the DVD remote.

My DVD remote works just fine with Rob's torrent. I have a genuine
Microsoft one, is yours an aftermarket one?

About compiling from source, I tried it last night, but it bailed on a
qt lib. I don't have the exact error message, but if anyone has compiled
from current SVN with Xebian on Xbox, I'd love to know what you did.

When I try an apt-get install ... for the qt library, it wants to
upgrade gcc 4, and a whole whackload of other stuff, which I'm hesitant
to do unless someone says they've done it. Although, I could just do it,
and if it doesn't work I can just re-install...

Thanks
Tom
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Vladan Bato wrote:
> Robert Anderson wrote:
>>
>> I have created a torrent to distribute my entire xebian installation
>> with mythtv frontend installed.
>>
>> http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3397792
>>

> Hi, I have downloaded but I have a question.
>
>>>*Snip*<<<
>
> So the question is: have you tested the Xbox DVD remote with it?
>
> This is also a plea to everybody: Does anyone know how to make lirc work
> on xebian 1.1.4?
>
> --
> Vladan Bato
> vbato@ieee.org

I can also confirm that the remote works fine.

In addition to the changes that I previously mentioned that I made, I had
to create a mount point for my recordings/media at /mnt/store and change
my /etc/fstab to mount /mnt/store from my backend. I could have left it
mounted at /mythtv, but then I'd have to reconfigure my frontend settings.

I also plan on disabling the Lirc mouse and DPMS, but that's just me.
Overall, I had the frontend installed and humming along in less than a
half hour. Not that I've really gained anything over my previous install
except to be running Xebian 1.14 instead of 1.12 :)

Thanks Rob!

Greg
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
greg@nodecam.com wrote:

>I can also confirm that the remote works fine.
>
>In addition to the changes that I previously mentioned that I made, I had
>to create a mount point for my recordings/media at /mnt/store and change
>my /etc/fstab to mount /mnt/store from my backend. I could have left it
>mounted at /mythtv, but then I'd have to reconfigure my frontend settings.
>
>I also plan on disabling the Lirc mouse and DPMS, but that's just me.
>Overall, I had the frontend installed and humming along in less than a
>half hour. Not that I've really gained anything over my previous install
>except to be running Xebian 1.14 instead of 1.12 :)

How can I make the xebian disk area larger? Also, have you compiled from
SVN on the Xbox? I've been trying, but not having much luck. My backends
are both current SVN, so I can only watch videos from the Xbox.
Although...I could link the recordings into the video directory...which
leads me to my next question, I tried changing the Video settings on
the xbox frontend, but I can't get them to stick. I make the changes, I
think I save them, but they don't change. Plus, I can't see the bottom
of the screen (bad overscan) so I can't see if I'm on the 'Next' button
or 'Back' button...I also don't have sound working yet either but I
think I know how to fix that.

Thanks
Tom
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Tom Lichti wrote:
> My DVD remote works just fine with Rob's torrent. I have a genuine
> Microsoft one, is yours an aftermarket one?

Yes, mine is an aftermarket one. I bought it because it costs half the
Microsoft one and looks exaclty the same.
It worked perfectly for watching DVDs with the original Xbox firmware,
before I did the hadrware mod and replaced the rom.

What is bugging me is the error message in dmesg, which I think is a
problem with devfs and has nothing to do with the actual remote.

Here's what the "Xbox DVD receiver and LIRC Mini HOWTO" sais about that:

> A common reason for this to fail is a problem with lirc and devfs that results in the message:
>
> devfs_register(lirc/0): could not append to parent, err: -17
>
> To resolve this, change line 321 of <path/to/lirc>/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c from
>
> sprintf (name, DEV_LIRC "/%d", ir->p.minor);

> sprintf (name, DEV_LIRC "%d", ir->p.minor);
>
> and recompile lirc

Now I am curious: is this the reason why my remote doesn't work, or is
it because it's not the original Microsoft remote (and receiver). And in
the latter case, how do I make it work?

The same message is present in Rob's dmesg file, so I was wandering
whether *his* remote was working. And those of you who have a working
remote, do you have the above message in dmesg?

Before tossing the remote away and looking for another one, I'd like to
konw where the problem actually is.

--
Vladan Bato
vbato@ieee.org
Re: Re: Xbox as FE [ In reply to ]
Vladan Bato wrote:

> Tom Lichti wrote:
>
>> My DVD remote works just fine with Rob's torrent. I have a genuine
>> Microsoft one, is yours an aftermarket one?
>

> Yes, mine is an aftermarket one. I bought it because it costs half the
> Microsoft one and looks exaclty the same.
> It worked perfectly for watching DVDs with the original Xbox firmware,
> before I did the hadrware mod and replaced the rom.
>
> What is bugging me is the error message in dmesg, which I think is a
> problem with devfs and has nothing to do with the actual remote.
>
> Here's what the "Xbox DVD receiver and LIRC Mini HOWTO" sais about that:
>
>> A common reason for this to fail is a problem with lirc and devfs
>> that results in the message:
>>
>> devfs_register(lirc/0): could not append to parent, err: -17
>>
>> To resolve this, change line 321 of
>> <path/to/lirc>/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c from
>>
>> sprintf (name, DEV_LIRC "/%d", ir->p.minor);

>> sprintf (name, DEV_LIRC "%d", ir->p.minor);
>>
>> and recompile lirc
>

> Now I am curious: is this the reason why my remote doesn't work, or is
> it because it's not the original Microsoft remote (and receiver). And
> in the latter case, how do I make it work?
>
> The same message is present in Rob's dmesg file, so I was wandering
> whether *his* remote was working. And those of you who have a working
> remote, do you have the above message in dmesg?
>
> Before tossing the remote away and looking for another one, I'd like
> to konw where the problem actually is.

Dunno. I have this in dmesg:

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
devfs_register(lirc/0): could not append to parent, err: -17
lirc_xir: driver registered (minor 0)

And it works just fine. I did NOT recompile LIRC, I used Rob's torrent
as is.

Tom