on for 2 hours.
Is there an easy way to record sporting goods from the scheduled start
until they are over?

Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
Each recording schedule you create you can specify that it records an
extra X minutes. Also, you can say that for any and every recording
schedule you create you can record extra time.

You just need to look in the setup and the recording screens.

Whytey

On 8/15/05, Chuck Vohs <fuzzie@vohslaw.com> wrote:
> I had my wife sold on this mythtv...it's up and running and seemed to be
> working great.
> Then I tried recording Tennis, every time it is on, no matter what
> channel, for her.
> Well, today it recorded Tennis, but it cut off the final couple of
> games, I think because the programming for the schedule said it was only
> on for 2 hours.
> Is there an easy way to record sporting goods from the scheduled start
> until they are over?

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
>Each recording schedule you create you can specify that it records an
>extra X minutes. Also, you can say that for any and every recording
>schedule you create you can record extra time.
>
>You just need to look in the setup and the recording screens.
>
>Whytey

I've been doing that so I end up getting 4-5 hour recordings where
the game ends up being only 3.5 hours long. Is there a simple way
once they are recorded to prune off the end, after the event is done?

Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
On 15 Aug 2005 03:10:54 -0700, Jim Reith <reith@racores.com> wrote:
> >Each recording schedule you create you can specify that it records an
> >extra X minutes. Also, you can say that for any and every recording
> >schedule you create you can record extra time.
> >
> >You just need to look in the setup and the recording screens.
> >
> >Whytey
>
> I've been doing that so I end up getting 4-5 hour recordings where
> the game ends up being only 3.5 hours long. Is there a simple way
> once they are recorded to prune off the end, after the event is done?

only by adding a cut list and then transcoding but that generally
makes the video a different format such as MPEG4.

Whytey

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
On 8/15/05, David Whyte <david.whyte@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2005 03:10:54 -0700, Jim Reith <reith@racores.com> wrote:
> > >Each recording schedule you create you can specify that it records an
> > >extra X minutes. Also, you can say that for any and every recording
> > >schedule you create you can record extra time.
> > >
> > >You just need to look in the setup and the recording screens.
> > >
> > >Whytey
> >
> > I've been doing that so I end up getting 4-5 hour recordings where
> > the game ends up being only 3.5 hours long. Is there a simple way
> > once they are recorded to prune off the end, after the event is done?
>
> only by adding a cut list and then transcoding but that generally
> makes the video a different format such as MPEG4.
>
> Whytey

Not necessarily, if you simply want to not see it just create a cut
point at the end of the match. The player will then skip anything
after the cut point, but you won't save any space that way.

--
I probably still have a few (well, now a whole bunch) gmail invites.
Drop me a line (off list) if you'd like an account.
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
At 09:00 AM 8/15/2005, you wrote:

> > > I've been doing that so I end up getting 4-5 hour recordings where
> > > the game ends up being only 3.5 hours long. Is there a simple way
> > > once they are recorded to prune off the end, after the event is done?
> >
> > only by adding a cut list and then transcoding but that generally
> > makes the video a different format such as MPEG4.
> >
> > Whytey
>
>Not necessarily, if you simply want to not see it just create a cut
>point at the end of the match. The player will then skip anything
>after the cut point, but you won't save any space that way.

and what is the suggested method for manually modifying/creating these
cutlists?
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 09:00, Fred Squires wrote:
> On 8/15/05, David Whyte <david.whyte@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been doing that so I end up getting 4-5 hour recordings where
> > > the game ends up being only 3.5 hours long. Is there a simple way
> > > once they are recorded to prune off the end, after the event is done?
> >
> > only by adding a cut list and then transcoding but that generally
> > makes the video a different format such as MPEG4.
> >
> > Whytey
>
> Not necessarily, if you simply want to not see it just create a cut
> point at the end of the match. The player will then skip anything
> after the cut point, but you won't save any space that way.

Why not just hit the exit button once the match ends? I don't think you
have to sit and watch the entire recording all the way to the end. :)

Are you saving these matches after they are watched? Probably easier to
watch them and delete them than to schedule additional processing time
and your time to create an edit list and transcode.

I hit a similar problem once, a sports show pushed the start of a movie
that was to be recorded out by about 30 minutes. Needless to say the
end of the movie was not recorded which did not go over to well. But
that is the same problem with a standard VCR if you don't know the show
is being delayed for some reason and there is no way to modify the
recording schedule.
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
At 09:18 AM 8/15/2005, you wrote:

> > > only by adding a cut list and then transcoding but that generally
> > > makes the video a different format such as MPEG4.
> > >
> > > Whytey
> >
> > Not necessarily, if you simply want to not see it just create a cut
> > point at the end of the match. The player will then skip anything
> > after the cut point, but you won't save any space that way.
>
>Why not just hit the exit button once the match ends? I don't think you
>have to sit and watch the entire recording all the way to the end. :)

Well, the most recent situation was a baseball game I was attending and got
home after the extended recording had finished

>Are you saving these matches after they are watched? Probably easier to
>watch them and delete them than to schedule additional processing time
>and your time to create an edit list and transcode.

I'm hoping to burn them to DVD to send to my daughter away at school

>I hit a similar problem once, a sports show pushed the start of a movie
>that was to be recorded out by about 30 minutes. Needless to say the
>end of the movie was not recorded which did not go over to well. But
>that is the same problem with a standard VCR if you don't know the show
>is being delayed for some reason and there is no way to modify the
>recording schedule.

yep, same issue
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 09:18 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> I hit a similar problem once, a sports show pushed the start of a movie
> that was to be recorded out by about 30 minutes. Needless to say the
> end of the movie was not recorded which did not go over to well.

:-) Ever since the last five minutes of Hitchcock's Rear Window got cut
off I've gotten into the habit of fast-forwarding to the end to check
before we start watching.

I can't think of a worse film to miss the end of... we had to go out and
rent the DVD straight away.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf

Tomorrow will be cancelled due to lack of interest.
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
I always thought it would be nice to have a faster way to set up 'stop
recording X miniuts like' for baseball games.

when ever I set a game to record I to the settings screen and hit the
button 60 times to add an hour to the end. I dont want this for every
show, just baseball games.

I thought a setting fot this data withing the 'recording profiles'
would makes sense. I would love a 'Sports' profile that added a
configured amount of time.

Am I missing a function/feature somewhere that would do this some how?

-chris
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
Chris Menard wrote:
> I always thought it would be nice to have a faster way to set up 'stop
> recording X miniuts like' for baseball games.
>
> when ever I set a game to record I to the settings screen and hit the
> button 60 times to add an hour to the end. I dont want this for every
> show, just baseball games.

Press ">" 6 times.

> I thought a setting fot this data withing the 'recording profiles'
> would makes sense. I would love a 'Sports' profile that added a
> configured amount of time.

There is an questionable feature now to add end time for all shows
of a certain category. This is presumably for "Sports events" but
doesn't say so and can only be applied to one category. However, if
you look at Search Lists->Categories and choose "Sports events" then
sort by title, you'll see that most are pre-recorded and don't need
any extra time. Having this turned on could cause confusion and
unwanted conflicts as the endtime is unexpectedly lengthened.

For live sports that may run over, the amount of time you expect to
need is different for different sports. MLS Soccer doesn't run late
and if it does it won't be by more than 5 or 10 minutes. An MLB baseball
game is as likely to go 2 1/2 hours as it is to go 4 1/2 hours.

> Am I missing a function/feature somewhere that would do this some how?

What I do is to use the "Multiple sports teams" example from Custom
Record (mythtv-HOWTO section coming soon) to set a "profile" of
recording options for all of the teams I follow in a sport. Currently,
I follow the Marlins and Giants so I set a single rule to record games
if either of these teams are playing. I set 59 minutes end time (so that
it can finish before preroll of a following show), a Recording Profile
with lower res but higher bitrate to handle motion better, and lower
priority so that it grabs a higher card number and leaves the main cards
for the regularly scheduled stuff. I can later add or remove teams from
the list (like why watch the Giants if Bonds is out?) and still have
the same parameters. For NCAA Basketball, I might have Gonzaga|Indiana|
Texas Tech|Duke all with 29 minutes for overtime as college hoops don't
go that far over even if there is one overtime.

-- bjm
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
Ian Campbell wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 09:18 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>

>>I hit a similar problem once, a sports show pushed the start of a movie
>>that was to be recorded out by about 30 minutes. Needless to say the
>>end of the movie was not recorded which did not go over to well.
>>

>:-) Ever since the last five minutes of Hitchcock's Rear Window got cut
>off I've gotten into the habit of fast-forwarding to the end to check
>before we start watching.
>
>I can't think of a worse film to miss the end of... we had to go out and
>rent the DVD straight away.

Yeah. If I notice that a recording starts X minutes into the recording
when it should have started much sooner, I'll check the end and either
delete it, allowing re-record or watch it (depending on the content and
whether it looks like the end is "close enough").

I've got to admit, though, that when I'm in TV-watching mode (i.e. brain
in power-save mode), doing the math to get to the end can be a
challenge... OK, let's see. 2 hour 2 minute recording, I'm currently
at 15 minutes, 12 seconds, so there's about 1 hour 46 minutes left, and
I want to jump to 5 minutes before the end then use the normal skips to
see how it ends, so I need 1 hour 41 minutes; then, I have to go
throught the "units" discussion with myself--Myth takes minutes unless
it's over an hour, in which case, you can use minutes for up to 99 or
hours then minutes--so type in 141 then hit right to jump. Usually
(without the written notes in an e-mail) about this time I figure out I
made a mistake with the calculations in my head and start the process
over. At least the second time, it gets easier because the numbers are
smaller. Hmmm, maybe I should do a patch for jump to X minutes before
end...

Mike

Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 09:18 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>>

>>> I hit a similar problem once, a sports show pushed the start of a movie
>>> that was to be recorded out by about 30 minutes. Needless to say the
>>> end of the movie was not recorded which did not go over to well.
>>>

>> :-) Ever since the last five minutes of Hitchcock's Rear Window got cut
>> off I've gotten into the habit of fast-forwarding to the end to check
>> before we start watching.
>>
>> I can't think of a worse film to miss the end of... we had to go out and
>> rent the DVD straight away.
>>

> Yeah. If I notice that a recording starts X minutes into the recording
> when it should have started much sooner, I'll check the end and either
> delete it, allowing re-record or watch it (depending on the content and
> whether it looks like the end is "close enough").
>
> I've got to admit, though, that when I'm in TV-watching mode (i.e. brain
> in power-save mode), doing the math to get to the end can be a
> challenge... OK, let's see. 2 hour 2 minute recording, I'm currently
> at 15 minutes, 12 seconds, so there's about 1 hour 46 minutes left, and
> I want to jump to 5 minutes before the end then use the normal skips to
> see how it ends, so I need 1 hour 41 minutes; then, I have to go
> throught the "units" discussion with myself--Myth takes minutes unless
> it's over an hour, in which case, you can use minutes for up to 99 or
> hours then minutes--so type in 141 then hit right to jump. Usually
> (without the written notes in an e-mail) about this time I figure out I
> made a mistake with the calculations in my head and start the process
> over. At least the second time, it gets easier because the numbers are
> smaller. Hmmm, maybe I should do a patch for jump to X minutes before
> end...

Enter a number then press "I". 3-0-I will take you to 30:00 no matter
where you are currently. 1-2-0-I takes you to 1:20:00 (80 minutes) and
not 2:00:00 (120 munutes).

So, if you are at 15:12 and want to check 5 minutes before the end of
2:02:00, press Space to Save Position, 1-5-7-I to jump to 1:57:00,
ESC to Exit without save, and restart to the bookmark at 15:12. Variation,
1-5-I to go back to about where you were before. 'nother variation, press
Pause then 3-0-0-I. This will take you to a paused frame a few seconds
before the end. Seek from there if it doesn't show you what you need.

-- bjm
Re: Tennis [ In reply to ]
Bruce Markey wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> If I notice that a recording starts X minutes into the recording
>> when it should have started much sooner, I'll check the end and
>> either delete it, allowing re-record or watch it (depending on the
>> content and whether it looks like the end is "close enough").
>>
>> I've got to admit, though, that when I'm in TV-watching mode (i.e.
>> brain in power-save mode), doing the math to get to the end can be a
>> challenge... OK, let's see. 2 hour 2 minute recording, I'm
>> currently at 15 minutes, 12 seconds, so there's about 1 hour 46
>> minutes left, and I want to jump to 5 minutes before the end then use
>> the normal skips to see how it ends, so I need 1 hour 41 minutes;
>> then, I have to go throught the "units" discussion with myself--Myth
>> takes minutes unless it's over an hour, in which case, you can use
>> minutes for up to 99 or hours then minutes--so type in 141 then hit
>> right to jump. Usually (without the written notes in an e-mail)
>> about this time I figure out I made a mistake with the calculations
>> in my head and start the process over. At least the second time, it
>> gets easier because the numbers are smaller. Hmmm, maybe I should do
>> a patch for jump to X minutes before end...
>
> Enter a number then press "I". 3-0-I will take you to 30:00 no matter
> where you are currently. 1-2-0-I takes you to 1:20:00 (80 minutes) and
> not 2:00:00 (120 munutes).
>
> So, if you are at 15:12 and want to check 5 minutes before the end of
> 2:02:00, press Space to Save Position, 1-5-7-I to jump to 1:57:00,
> ESC to Exit without save, and restart to the bookmark at 15:12.
> Variation,
> 1-5-I to go back to about where you were before. 'nother variation, press
> Pause then 3-0-0-I. This will take you to a paused frame a few seconds
> before the end. Seek from there if it doesn't show you what you need.

Wow. Can't wait to get home to try that out...

Thanks.

Mike