Mailing List Archive

is this possible (multiple tuners and sources)
I have a working MythTV system (FC3, ATRPMS) with two PVR-250s. I added
a PVR-150 tonight, upgraded to the latest kernel and ivtv 0.3.6w, and I
can get video via the PVR-150 (no sound, though). My goal is to have
the two PVR-250s record analog cable (already working), and the PVR-150
record OTA broadcast signals via my rooftop antenna since the reception
of local channels stinks on our analog cable.

I set up a new video source called "antenna" and configured a new "local
broadcast" channel listing for my area at zap2it. However, it's not
clear to me how this will get handled in the EPG. For example, channel
7 on analog cable is Discovery, while channel 7 on broadcast is PBS.
After running mythfilldatabase these both appear in the EPG, but where
channels are the same (i.e., channel 9 is the same station on both cable
and OTA), there is only one entry in the EPG.

I want local channels to be recorded on the PVR-150 by default, using
the local broadcast channel listing unless there is a conflict, in which
case they would get recorded on one of the PVR-250s. Cable-only
channels would always get recorded on the PVR-250s. Is all of this (or
any of this) possible? I could just delete the duplicate broadcast
channels from the cable lineup, but then that would eliminate the
possibility of using the cable as a backup to resolve conflicts.

Thanks,
Dylan

Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
Dylan Keon wrote:

> I have a working MythTV system (FC3, ATRPMS) with two PVR-250s. I
> added a PVR-150 tonight, upgraded to the latest kernel and ivtv
> 0.3.6w, and I can get video via the PVR-150 (no sound, though). My
> goal is to have the two PVR-250s record analog cable (already
> working), and the PVR-150 record OTA broadcast signals via my rooftop
> antenna since the reception of local channels stinks on our analog cable.
>
> I set up a new video source called "antenna" and configured a new
> "local broadcast" channel listing for my area at zap2it. However,
> it's not clear to me how this will get handled in the EPG. For
> example, channel 7 on analog cable is Discovery, while channel 7 on
> broadcast is PBS. After running mythfilldatabase these both appear in
> the EPG, but where channels are the same (i.e., channel 9 is the same
> station on both cable and OTA), there is only one entry in the EPG.

What you need to do is go into the Channel Editor (either in
mythtv-setup or mythweb) and change the channel number. In my case I
have channel 7 (pvr250 connected to directv), channel 7-1 (wintv-go OTA
NTSC) and 7HD (pchdtv 3K).

> I want local channels to be recorded on the PVR-150 by default, using
> the local broadcast channel listing unless there is a conflict, in
> which case they would get recorded on one of the PVR-250s. Cable-only
> channels would always get recorded on the PVR-250s. Is all of this
> (or any of this) possible? I could just delete the duplicate
> broadcast channels from the cable lineup, but then that would
> eliminate the possibility of using the cable as a backup to resolve
> conflicts.

Set the recording priority higher for the channels the 150 receives,
setup > tv settings > recording priorities > channels priorities

> Thanks,
> Dylan

Howard
Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
On Aug 10, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Howard Cokl wrote:

> Dylan Keon wrote:
>
>> I have a working MythTV system (FC3, ATRPMS) with two PVR-250s. I
>> added a PVR-150 tonight, upgraded to the latest kernel and ivtv
>> 0.3.6w, and I can get video via the PVR-150 (no sound, though). My
>> goal is to have the two PVR-250s record analog cable (already
>> working), and the PVR-150 record OTA broadcast signals via my rooftop
>> antenna since the reception of local channels stinks on our analog
>> cable.
>>
>> I set up a new video source called "antenna" and configured a new
>> "local broadcast" channel listing for my area at zap2it. However,
>> it's not clear to me how this will get handled in the EPG. For
>> example, channel 7 on analog cable is Discovery, while channel 7 on
>> broadcast is PBS. After running mythfilldatabase these both appear in
>> the EPG, but where channels are the same (i.e., channel 9 is the same
>> station on both cable and OTA), there is only one entry in the EPG.
>
> What you need to do is go into the Channel Editor (either in
> mythtv-setup or mythweb) and change the channel number. In my case I
> have channel 7 (pvr250 connected to directv), channel 7-1 (wintv-go
> OTA NTSC) and 7HD (pchdtv 3K).

Instead of creating additional channel 7s, couldn't you just leave the
single channel 7, since they are the same source, and just increase the
priority of the PVR-150? I would assume this would use the 150 first
for channels that are available on it, and still use the 250s if there
was a conflict.

-Michael
Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
Howard Cokl wrote:

> Dylan Keon wrote:
>
>> I have a working MythTV system (FC3, ATRPMS) with two PVR-250s. I
>> added a PVR-150 tonight, upgraded to the latest kernel and ivtv
>> 0.3.6w, and I can get video via the PVR-150 (no sound, though). My
>> goal is to have the two PVR-250s record analog cable (already
>> working), and the PVR-150 record OTA broadcast signals via my rooftop
>> antenna since the reception of local channels stinks on our analog
>> cable.
>>
>> I set up a new video source called "antenna" and configured a new
>> "local broadcast" channel listing for my area at zap2it. However,
>> it's not clear to me how this will get handled in the EPG. For
>> example, channel 7 on analog cable is Discovery, while channel 7 on
>> broadcast is PBS. After running mythfilldatabase these both appear in
>> the EPG, but where channels are the same (i.e., channel 9 is the same
>> station on both cable and OTA), there is only one entry in the EPG.
>

> What you need to do is go into the Channel Editor (either in
> mythtv-setup or mythweb) and change the channel number. In my case I
> have channel 7 (pvr250 connected to directv), channel 7-1 (wintv-go
> OTA NTSC) and 7HD (pchdtv 3K).

You can also drop channel 7 in zap2it from the PVR-250 lineup so that
there is only one channel 7 since the other channel 7 has such bad
reception anyways.

Kevin
Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
Dylan Keon wrote:
> My goal is to have
> the two PVR-250s record analog cable (already working), and the PVR-150
> record OTA broadcast signals via my rooftop antenna since the reception
> of local channels stinks on our analog cable.
>
> I set up a new video source called "antenna" and configured a new "local
> broadcast" channel listing for my area at zap2it. However, it's not
> clear to me how this will get handled in the EPG. For example, channel
> 7 on analog cable is Discovery, while channel 7 on broadcast is PBS.

The one marked "7 DSCP" and shows MythBusters is Discovery, the one
that says "7 PBS" and has Nova is PBS. Oddly, this is the second
time this has come up recently. If you schedule MythBusters, it won't
bust myth and record Nova by mistake =).

> After running mythfilldatabase these both appear in the EPG, but where
> channels are the same (i.e., channel 9 is the same station on both cable
> and OTA), there is only one entry in the EPG.

Correct. By design. If the channel number and callsign are the same,
it does not show both. I have NBC on 3 for analog and on 3 and 123
digital (chanids 1003, 2003 and 2123 respectively). The EPG shows
one line for NBC on 3 rather than two identical lines next to each
other but does have another line for 123. If another input had
station "KRAP" on 3 (3003), the EPG would include both channel
3 stations.

> I want local channels to be recorded on the PVR-150 by default, using
> the local broadcast channel listing unless there is a conflict, in which
> case they would get recorded on one of the PVR-250s. Cable-only
> channels would always get recorded on the PVR-250s. Is all of this (or
> any of this) possible?

This has all been solved long ago. You actually have some choices...

> I could just delete the duplicate broadcast
> channels from the cable lineup, but then that would eliminate the
> possibility of using the cable as a backup to resolve conflicts.

Myth treats two channels with the same callsign as being the same
station and are interchangeable. Which channel is used for a show
on that station is deterministic. If all else is equal, by default
the scheduler will choose the lowest numbered input that has that
station available.

There is also an option on the mythtv-setup Input connections page
for "Input preference". If you set this one higher than the others,
that tells the scheduler that it is better to record from this input
whenever possible rather than to record from the other inputs.

There is a subtle difference with "Input preference" vs just relying
on the lowest input number winning. Say you have your "antenna"
input first (probably not right now because you added it last)
and there is a high priority show at 7 and a lower priority show
at 7 and 10 on a channel that is available on both sources. If the
input preference is the same, the high priority show will record at
7 on "antenna" and the lower will record at 7 on the channel from
the other source. If you raise the input preference for the antenna
input, it would record the high priority show at 7 and the lower
priority show at 10 when it can fit it on the preferred input. If
there was another conflict at 10 then it would again use the other
source at 7.

So, you could redo your cards and inputs so that "antenna" is first
but if the signal is actually better, I'd suggest leaving your card
setup as is and just setting the input preference to "1" so that it
will always try to get the clearest recordings for you. Way too much
info is at: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.7

-- bjm
Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Howard Cokl wrote:
>
>> Dylan Keon wrote:
>>
>>> I have a working MythTV system (FC3, ATRPMS) with two PVR-250s. I
>>> added a PVR-150 tonight, upgraded to the latest kernel and ivtv
>>> 0.3.6w, and I can get video via the PVR-150 (no sound, though). My
>>> goal is to have the two PVR-250s record analog cable (already
>>> working), and the PVR-150 record OTA broadcast signals via my
>>> rooftop antenna since the reception of local channels stinks on our
>>> analog cable.
>>>
>>> I set up a new video source called "antenna" and configured a new
>>> "local broadcast" channel listing for my area at zap2it. However,
>>> it's not clear to me how this will get handled in the EPG. For
>>> example, channel 7 on analog cable is Discovery, while channel 7 on
>>> broadcast is PBS. After running mythfilldatabase these both appear
>>> in the EPG, but where channels are the same (i.e., channel 9 is the
>>> same station on both cable and OTA), there is only one entry in the
>>> EPG.
>>

>> What you need to do is go into the Channel Editor (either in
>> mythtv-setup or mythweb) and change the channel number. In my case I
>> have channel 7 (pvr250 connected to directv), channel 7-1 (wintv-go
>> OTA NTSC) and 7HD (pchdtv 3K).
>

> You can also drop channel 7 in zap2it from the PVR-250 lineup so that
> there is only one channel 7 since the other channel 7 has such bad
> reception anyways.

Sorry for the self reply. Ignore my response. I missed the part where
you said that 7 was different stations on different sources.

Kevin
Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
On 08/10/2005 12:11 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Howard Cokl wrote:

>>> What you need to do is go into the Channel Editor (either in
>>> mythtv-setup or mythweb) and change the channel number. In my case I
>>> have channel 7 (pvr250 connected to directv), channel 7-1 (wintv-go
>>> OTA NTSC) and 7HD (pchdtv 3K).
>>

>> You can also drop channel 7 in zap2it from the PVR-250 lineup so that
>> there is only one channel 7 since the other channel 7 has such bad
>> reception anyways.
>>
> Sorry for the self reply. Ignore my response. I missed the part where
> you said that 7 was different stations on different sources.

Heh, no problem. If you had said channel 9 you would be right :-) I
may do some of this in addition to configuring Input Preference.

--Dylan
Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
On 08/10/2005 12:01 PM, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Dylan Keon wrote:
>
>> My goal is to have the two PVR-250s record analog cable (already
>> working), and the PVR-150 record OTA broadcast signals via my rooftop
>> antenna since the reception of local channels stinks on our analog cable.
>>
>> I set up a new video source called "antenna" and configured a new
>> "local broadcast" channel listing for my area at zap2it. However,
>> it's not clear to me how this will get handled in the EPG. For
>> example, channel 7 on analog cable is Discovery, while channel 7 on
>> broadcast is PBS.
>
> The one marked "7 DSCP" and shows MythBusters is Discovery, the one
> that says "7 PBS" and has Nova is PBS. Oddly, this is the second
> time this has come up recently. If you schedule MythBusters, it won't
> bust myth and record Nova by mistake =).

Ok, good :-)

>> After running mythfilldatabase these both appear in the EPG, but where
>> channels are the same (i.e., channel 9 is the same station on both
>> cable and OTA), there is only one entry in the EPG.
>
> Correct. By design. If the channel number and callsign are the same,
> it does not show both. I have NBC on 3 for analog and on 3 and 123
> digital (chanids 1003, 2003 and 2123 respectively). The EPG shows
> one line for NBC on 3 rather than two identical lines next to each
> other but does have another line for 123. If another input had
> station "KRAP" on 3 (3003), the EPG would include both channel
> 3 stations.

Nice callsign ;-) I just took a peek via mythweb and I can see that my
EPG is also arranged as you described.

>> I want local channels to be recorded on the PVR-150 by default, using
>> the local broadcast channel listing unless there is a conflict, in
>> which case they would get recorded on one of the PVR-250s. Cable-only
>> channels would always get recorded on the PVR-250s. Is all of this
>> (or any of this) possible?
>
> This has all been solved long ago. You actually have some choices...
>
>> I could just delete the duplicate broadcast channels from the cable
>> lineup, but then that would eliminate the possibility of using the
>> cable as a backup to resolve conflicts.
>
> Myth treats two channels with the same callsign as being the same
> station and are interchangeable. Which channel is used for a show
> on that station is deterministic. If all else is equal, by default
> the scheduler will choose the lowest numbered input that has that
> station available.

Ahhh, this is good to know.

> There is also an option on the mythtv-setup Input connections page
> for "Input preference". If you set this one higher than the others,
> that tells the scheduler that it is better to record from this input
> whenever possible rather than to record from the other inputs.

Great, I think this is what I need!

> There is a subtle difference with "Input preference" vs just relying
> on the lowest input number winning. Say you have your "antenna"
> input first (probably not right now because you added it last)
> and there is a high priority show at 7 and a lower priority show
> at 7 and 10 on a channel that is available on both sources. If the
> input preference is the same, the high priority show will record at
> 7 on "antenna" and the lower will record at 7 on the channel from
> the other source. If you raise the input preference for the antenna
> input, it would record the high priority show at 7 and the lower
> priority show at 10 when it can fit it on the preferred input. If
> there was another conflict at 10 then it would again use the other
> source at 7.

When I installed the PVR-150 it appeared as /dev/video0 so I believe it
is the lowest input number. I had to edit the PVR-250s in mythtv-setup
since they are now /dev/video1 and /dev/video2.

Great example. Regarding the scenario where the same show is airing at
7:00 and 10:00 on a channel available to both sources - how far into the
future would myth look to make sure a show gets recorded on the
preferred input? How aggressively does myth do this? For example, you
wrote that the show wouldn't be recorded until 10:00 so that the
preferred input could be used. Would myth look forward as far as a week
to find a slot when the show could be recorded on the preferred input?
If that's the case I would rather just have it record on the other
source so I could have it available sooner.

> So, you could redo your cards and inputs so that "antenna" is first
> but if the signal is actually better, I'd suggest leaving your card
> setup as is and just setting the input preference to "1" so that it
> will always try to get the clearest recordings for you. Way too much
> info is at: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.7

Since the PVR-150 is already the lowest input number perhaps I don't
need to define an input preference. I'll have to do some testing.

Bruce, thanks a million for your detailed response. This is very
helpful information. Shuffling off now to read the howto....

--Dylan
Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
Dylan Keon wrote:
> [...]
>> input first (probably not right now because you added it last)
>> and there is a high priority show at 7 and a lower priority show
>> at 7 and 10 on a channel that is available on both sources. If the
>> input preference is the same, the high priority show will record at
>> 7 on "antenna" and the lower will record at 7 on the channel from
>> the other source. If you raise the input preference for the antenna
>> input, it would record the high priority show at 7 and the lower
>> priority show at 10 when it can fit it on the preferred input. If
>> there was another conflict at 10 then it would again use the other
>> source at 7.
>

> When I installed the PVR-150 it appeared as /dev/video0 so I believe it
> is the lowest input number. I had to edit the PVR-250s in mythtv-setup
> since they are now /dev/video1 and /dev/video2.

Oh, that's the device number. This has confused the heck out if
other people if the new card got /dev/video0 and the old device
was bumped up. However, I was referring to the myth DB config
mythconverg.cardinput.cardinputid. This is determined by the
order that you entered your card information through mythtv-setup.

> Great example. Regarding the scenario where the same show is airing at
> 7:00 and 10:00 on a channel available to both sources - how far into the
> future would myth look to make sure a show gets recorded on the
> preferred input? How aggressively does myth do this? For example, you

For all the listings you currenly have. Usually a little less
than two weeks.

> wrote that the show wouldn't be recorded until 10:00 so that the
> preferred input could be used. Would myth look forward as far as a week
> to find a slot when the show could be recorded on the preferred input?

In practice this rarely happens. Either a network primetime show
is shown only one time or a cable show is repeated several times
(possibly a dozen or more times). It is very rare that a second
showing is any more than two or three days away.

> If that's the case I would rather just have it record on the other
> source so I could have it available sooner.

Right, and you can always do this. If the scheduler chooses another
showing, the title on the "Upcoming Recordings" page will be white
and the status will be "L". You can press Enter and click "Record
anyway". The bigger question is if the quality is enough different
that you wouldn't mind waiting a few hours or a day on a few lower
priority shows when there is an overlap. I've always found that if
I'm recording two or three things at a time some evening, I'm not
going to watch all of it that night. If a lower priority show is
recorded on a better input tomorrow, that's perfect, I may not get
to it for several more days anyway.

However, if you find time is more important than quality then don't
use the input preference.

Here's my cardinputs:

+-------------+----------+--------+------------+
| cardinputid | sourceid | cardid | preference |
+-------------+----------+--------+------------+
| 1 | 1 | 1 | 0 |
| 2 | 1 | 2 | 0 |
| 3 | 1 | 3 | -1 |
| 4 | 1 | 4 | -1 |
| 5 | 1 | 5 | -2 |
| 6 | 2 | 2 | 0 |
| 7 | 2 | 4 | -1 |
| 8 | 3 | 5 | 0 |
+-------------+----------+--------+------------+
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Source 1 is cable, 2 digital settop boxes, and 3 is a VCR. Cards 3
and 4 are in my computer room and only run a backend when needed.
Cards 1, 2 and 5 are available all the time.

For analog, It tries to use card 1 or 2 (coax) for everything and
only uses 3 or 4 if they are up and there is no other choice. Card
5 is only used if something can't fit on 1-4.

For digital, it tries to use card 2 (s-video) and would only need
card 4 if things couldn't fit on card 2. This never happens because
all the shows on premium and digital cable channels are repeated over
and over so they can always fit on the first digital input.

[.Note to the other thread where they are talking about needing
three or four digital boxes. Wrong! ;-) I can record everything
I want to see from one box and watch the recordings from any of
four screens. My second cable box is essentially dormant and gets
most of it's use in testing.]

>> So, you could redo your cards and inputs so that "antenna" is first
>> but if the signal is actually better, I'd suggest leaving your card
>> setup as is and just setting the input preference to "1" so that it
>> will always try to get the clearest recordings for you. Way too much
>> info is at: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.7
>

> Since the PVR-150 is already the lowest input number perhaps I don't
> need to define an input preference. I'll have to do some testing.

I think you'll find that the cardinput you just added will lose to
the existing channels. If you want "antenna" to be the first choice
but you still prefer the earliest showing even if it is the channel
on the other source, you will need to re enter your card information
starting with the "antenna" input. However, start by testing the
input preference first. Less work, less drastic and I think you'll
find that it will be what you want in the long run.

If you want to change the input order, first backup your database
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.5 . Run
mythtv-setup and clear card settings. Enter your sources in the
same order as before so that the sourceids and chanids will be
the same as before. Next, enter your "antenna" card and input
first followed by the other cards and inputs.

> Bruce, thanks a million for your detailed response. This is very
> helpful information. Shuffling off now to read the howto....

I haven't updated it for a while so if something isn't currently
correct or is misleading, let me know so I can fix it.

-- bjm
Re: is this possible (multiple tuners and sources) [ In reply to ]
Dylan,

I'm doing the same thing with an HD3000 and Firewire. For channels that
overlap both sources (and therefore both capture cards) Myth seems to
always want to record on whichever tuner you added first. Sounds like
you want to add your PVR-150 first so that overlapping channels would
get recorded on it preferentially.

By the way, in my setup I can't watch live TV on any of the channels on
the second tuner. When I try to change channels to one of them my
backend doesn't budge, as if it's an invalid channel. Have you gotten
this to work?

- Don