I have a number of shows that are scheduled to record after another on the
same channel. The problem is that they have overlap due to starting early
and finishing late. MythTV doesn't seem to be able to record more than one
item at a time from a single tuner.

Does anyone know of a way to avoid this problem apart from cancelling the
schedule and creating a new entry that spans both shows (which is a pain)?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew.
Re: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/05, Matthew Carle <matthew_carle@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a number of shows that are scheduled to record after another on the
> same channel. The problem is that they have overlap due to starting early
> and finishing late. MythTV doesn't seem to be able to record more than one
> item at a time from a single tuner.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to avoid this problem apart from cancelling the
> schedule and creating a new entry that spans both shows (which is a pain)?

Set the *global* start early/finish late options to what you want
(this then applies to all recording schedules). Then, for each
individual recording, these settings will be used and don't need to be
specified on each schedule.

If two shows run back to back, you should still be able to record both
as MythTV will realise the global overlap will conflict (it only
applies it if it can safely). The global overlap is more 'intelligent'
than per-schedule settings, which will stop shows recording altogether
if no more tuners are available for the subsequent recording.

HTH,
Nick
RE: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
Thanks Nick,

That's an improvement but there is still the problem of having one of the
shows partly in another file (they never end/begin exactly on time). It
would be necessary to always watch both shows before deleting either one.

I guess there is no way around this at the moment.

Matthew.

Re: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
Matthew Carle wrote:

>Thanks Nick,
>
>That's an improvement but there is still the problem of having one of the
>shows partly in another file (they never end/begin exactly on time). It
>would be necessary to always watch both shows before deleting either one.
>
>I guess there is no way around this at the moment.

You can also use two tuners. Tuner 1 will record the first show, and
Tuner #2 the second.

Re: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
> >That's an improvement but there is still the problem of having one of the
> >shows partly in another file (they never end/begin exactly on time). It
> >would be necessary to always watch both shows before deleting either one.
> >
> >I guess there is no way around this at the moment.
> >

> You can also use two tuners. Tuner 1 will record the first show, and
> Tuner #2 the second.

You may not want to get 2 tuner cards but this IS the best way. I
bought a 2nd tuner and never looked back.

Regards,
Phill
Re: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >That's an improvement but there is still the problem of having one of the
> > >shows partly in another file (they never end/begin exactly on time). It
> > >would be necessary to always watch both shows before deleting either one.
> > >
> > >I guess there is no way around this at the moment.
> > >

> > You can also use two tuners. Tuner 1 will record the first show, and
> > Tuner #2 the second.
>
> You may not want to get 2 tuner cards but this IS the best way. I
> bought a 2nd tuner and never looked back.

Agreed on that one! Recording 2 things at the same time and watching a
third still hasn't lost its magical feeling ;-)

Nick
Re: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
> > You can also use two tuners. Tuner 1 will record the first show, and
> > Tuner #2 the second.
>
> You may not want to get 2 tuner cards but this IS the best way. I
> bought a 2nd tuner and never looked back.

I raised this issue a while back.

I haven't enough free slots in my PC to squeeze an extra couple of cards
in (extra vid + 2 sound cards - I use onboard capture at the moment) and
I can't afford a PVR250 :(

Although I don't know if architecturally it would be doable, but Myth
could theoretically realise that the 2 recordings are coming from the
same channel and can be serviced by the same tuner.

It would be a cool feature to handle this automagically, but I can also
see how it might be difficult to do...

Regards,
Ralph

TRIBAL TECHNOLOGY IS A MEMBER OF THE TRIBAL GROUP plc www.tribalgroup.co.uk
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Access, copying, dissemination or re-use of information in it by anyone else is unauthorised. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender as soon as possible.
Re: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >That's an improvement but there is still the problem of having one of the
> > >shows partly in another file (they never end/begin exactly on time). It
> > >would be necessary to always watch both shows before deleting either one.
> > >
> > >I guess there is no way around this at the moment.
> > >

> > You can also use two tuners. Tuner 1 will record the first show, and
> > Tuner #2 the second.
>
> You may not want to get 2 tuner cards but this IS the best way. I
> bought a 2nd tuner and never looked back.

in regards to two tuners, where do ppl recommend picking up a PVR-500?
they aren't in stock at newegg. i've googled/froogled and found a
couple, but didn't recognize any of the vendors. just thought i'd ask
here since this crowd may be the ones buying them up. :)
thanks
Re: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/05, Andrew Close <aclose@gmail.com> wrote:

> in regards to two tuners, where do ppl recommend picking up a PVR-500?
> they aren't in stock at newegg. i've googled/froogled and found a
> couple, but didn't recognize any of the vendors. just thought i'd ask
> here since this crowd may be the ones buying them up. :)
> thanks

Amazon! Currently $133.94. The lowest price on pricegrabber is $139.95.

Xiaotian
Re: Consecutive shows on same channel [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Andrew Close wrote:

> > > You can also use two tuners. Tuner 1 will record the first show, and
> > > Tuner #2 the second.
> >
> > You may not want to get 2 tuner cards but this IS the best way. I
> > bought a 2nd tuner and never looked back.
>
> in regards to two tuners, where do ppl recommend picking up a PVR-500?
> they aren't in stock at newegg. i've googled/froogled and found a
> couple, but didn't recognize any of the vendors. just thought i'd ask
> here since this crowd may be the ones buying them up. :)
> thanks

Amazon has them in stock.

John