they'll be available, it's delayed again.

>From what I can find, the HD3000 can capture QAM now, so is there any
reason not to get the HD3000 at this point? Is the new Air2PC card
going to be that much better that it'll be worth waiting on (however
long that takes)?

I guess with the broadcast flag deadline on hold for now, there's not
so much of a hurry to get one in my hands.

Thanks,
-- Tony
Re: HD3000 or Air2PC [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 17:08, Tony Brummett wrote:
> Back when I first started planning for my new HD setup, I'd decided on
> getting an Air2PC card because it could capture (at least some)
> digital cable channels and the driver was included in the stock Linux
> kernel. But just as I was ready to buy, they were in the middle of
> going to another hardware rev of the card. Each time I check on when
> they'll be available, it's delayed again.
>
> >From what I can find, the HD3000 can capture QAM now, so is there any
> reason not to get the HD3000 at this point? Is the new Air2PC card
> going to be that much better that it'll be worth waiting on (however
> long that takes)?

My understanding from perusing the various posts is that the latest 2.6
kernels support the HD-3000, but the next revision of the Air2PC card
will likely need some driver work (though it shouldn't take long).

For QAM, I'm under the impression that the HD-3000 is slightly superior,
but we'll probably be hit with encryption on the remaining channels
before long.

For ATSC, I'm under the impression that the Air2PC is superior, due to
better handling of multipath (and the new version is supposed to be even
better).

Please correct me or provide supporting technical details. I'm likely
to be buying a second card soon (I have an HD-2000 now; great with a
roof-top antenna).

> I guess with the broadcast flag deadline on hold for now, there's not
> so much of a hurry to get one in my hands.

I'm sure they'll try to get it back, but we should get a bit of warning
if it happens.

--PC
Re: HD3000 or Air2PC [ In reply to ]
Preston Crow wrote:
> For QAM, I'm under the impression that the HD-3000 is slightly superior,
> but we'll probably be hit with encryption on the remaining channels
> before long.

At the moment HD-3000 is infinitely superior for QAM as the current
(sold out) Air2PC does not support QAM (see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/120371). The new
revision is supposed to but we'll see when it shows up...

Bolek
Re: Re: HD3000 or Air2PC [ In reply to ]
> At the moment HD-3000 is infinitely superior for QAM as the current
> (sold out) Air2PC does not support QAM (see
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/120371). The new
> revision is supposed to but we'll see when it shows up...

This is not true. I record QAM channels every day with my Air2PC card.

Tom
Re: HD3000 or Air2PC [ In reply to ]
Tom Dombrosky wrote:
> This is not true. I record QAM channels every day with my Air2PC card.

This is interesting. I have not seen any other success stories with
Air2PC and QAM yet. Can you post more details (what driver version do
you use, who is your cable provider, QAM64 or QAM256 etc)?

Thanks

Bolek
Re: Re: HD3000 or Air2PC [ In reply to ]
> This is interesting. I have not seen any other success stories with
> Air2PC and QAM yet. Can you post more details (what driver version do
> you use, who is your cable provider, QAM64 or QAM256 etc)?

Sure no problem. I have Cox in northern Virginia. I'm getting a
couple QAM256 channels (NBC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, and ABC-HD). I'm
using the cvs dvb driver (from right when Taylor added QAM support to
the dvb-kernel) patched onto the 2.6.10 kernel. I have heard of
people having problems with scanning with this card, but after I
submitted my patch to dvb-kernel for the frequencies over 806mhz,
everything went fine from there.

Tom
Re: Re: HD3000 or Air2PC [ In reply to ]
> Sure no problem. I have Cox in northern Virginia. I'm getting a
> couple QAM256 channels (NBC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, and ABC-HD). I'm
> using the cvs dvb driver (from right when Taylor added QAM support to
> the dvb-kernel) patched onto the 2.6.10 kernel. I have heard of
> people having problems with scanning with this card, but after I
> submitted my patch to dvb-kernel for the frequencies over 806mhz,
> everything went fine from there.
>
> Tom

Apparently the really early version of this card did not support QAM
at all. The version I got (with the nxt2002 chip) does. Some people
are having problems with it tuning to QAM channels, but I haven't at
all.

Tom