Mailing List Archive

Recording New Battlestar series
I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately right now all the episodes for the "new"
serices are no longer considered new but repeats so
it's hard to determine the "new" series. Right now
you only option is to look at the title. Fortunately
there haven't been that many. Usually they are on 9pm
CST on Friday. Watch for the episode name and look
for it. Also you can visit scifi.com and check out
all the new episode titles.

Sorry.
--- Fa Yoeu <fayoeu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I only want to record the new battlestar galactica
> series. Is there a
> way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want
> to record all
> battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel
> scifi. When I
> tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded
> as well.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
>
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>



__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:36:45PM -0700, Fa Yoeu wrote:
> I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
> way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
> battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
> tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

Yeah, myth's software was written to match on titles rather than things
like the seriesid field which zap2it provides. You could do an sql
query in myth's advanced query, or in tvwish, looking for.

seriesid = 'SH710749'

Or you could also do a query for battlestar galactica with;

orignalairdate > '2004-01-01'

(Or similar, you may need some functions on the date there, I can't write
those date queries in my head without testing..)
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
You might be able to fake that you have all the old recordings by
manipulating the database. Is it worth it? Probably not. You're
better off going through mythweb and setting all season 1 Battlestar's
to not record (great series BTW). You can go as far into the future as
you have data for (for me that's 10 days).

>I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
>way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
>battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
>tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
Larry Symms wrote:

> You might be able to fake that you have all the old recordings by
> manipulating the database. Is it worth it? Probably not. You're
> better off going through mythweb and setting all season 1 Battlestar's
> to not record (great series BTW). You can go as far into the future
> as you have data for (for me that's 10 days).
>
>> I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
>> way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
>> battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
>> tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.
>>
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
I had that same problem back when the series was starting, and found the
setting for recording only new options to be helpful. Look forward to
summertime when you can do that again for Season 2 :)

Mario
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
Larry Symms wrote:
> You might be able to fake that you have all the old recordings by
> manipulating the database. Is it worth it? Probably not. You're
> better off going through mythweb and setting all season 1 Battlestar's
> to not record (great series BTW). You can go as far into the future as
> you have data for (for me that's 10 days).
>
>> I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
>> way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
>> battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
>> tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.

Growf. Top posting.

Anyway, I think the OP may have been referring to the old BSG - The
original series. Which aired for quite some time, so adding all those
might be time consuming.

Cheers,

Allan.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
Allan Stirling wrote:

> Larry Symms wrote:
>
>> You might be able to fake that you have all the old recordings by
>> manipulating the database. Is it worth it? Probably not. You're
>> better off going through mythweb and setting all season 1
>> Battlestar's to not record (great series BTW). You can go as far
>> into the future as you have data for (for me that's 10 days).
>>
>>> I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
>>> way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
>>> battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
>>> tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.
>>
>
> Growf. Top posting.
>
> Anyway, I think the OP may have been referring to the old BSG - The
> original series. Which aired for quite some time, so adding all those
> might be time consuming.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Allan.
>
Sorry I'm new...
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
Fa Yoeu wrote:
> I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
> way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
> battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
> tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.

Go to Schedule Recordings->Custom Record then cut'n'paste
this into the text box:

program.title = "Battlestar Galactica"
AND program.originalairdate > 20050101

Pressing Test should show you just the episodes from this year
(I see an episode 102 from Jan 14 and 103 from Jan 21 so I
assume the first episode would be Jan 7 ;-). If this is correct,
give it a rule name and click Record.

-- bjm

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:36:10AM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Fa Yoeu wrote:
> >I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
> >way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
> >battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
> >tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.
>
> Go to Schedule Recordings->Custom Record then cut'n'paste
> this into the text box:
>
> program.title = "Battlestar Galactica"
> AND program.originalairdate > 20050101
>
> Pressing Test should show you just the episodes from this year
> (I see an episode 102 from Jan 14 and 103 from Jan 21 so I
> assume the first episode would be Jan 7 ;-). If this is correct,
> give it a rule name and click Record.
>
> -- bjm

As I noted when I gave the same answer, this series started in late 2004,
so you will want to use an earlier date, or use the seriesid query.
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:36:10AM -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
>>Fa Yoeu wrote:
>>>I only want to record the new battlestar galactica series. Is there a
>>>way I can specify this in myth? Essential, I want to record all
>>>battlestar galactica playing at anytime on channel scifi. When I
>>>tried this, I kept getting the old series recorded as well.
>>Go to Schedule Recordings->Custom Record then cut'n'paste
>>this into the text box:
>>
>>program.title = "Battlestar Galactica"
>>AND program.originalairdate > 20050101
>>
>>Pressing Test should show you just the episodes from this year
>>(I see an episode 102 from Jan 14 and 103 from Jan 21 so I
>>assume the first episode would be Jan 7 ;-). If this is correct,
>>give it a rule name and click Record.
>>
>>-- bjm
>
> As I noted when I gave the same answer, this series started in late 2004,
> so you will want to use an earlier date, or use the seriesid query.

Perhaps it's just my location, but I use(d) timeslot recording to record
all the episodes of the new BSG series and ignore episodes of the
original series. Why isn't simply recording "Battlestar Galactica" in
the same timeslot every week an option? It works for me.

As an aside, I really wish the showID (or whatever field Zap2It provides
as a unique identifier) would be used if available instead of the title,
it would virtually eliminate this type of issue.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
mythtv-users-bounces@mythtv.org wrote on 04/15/2005 04:02:33 PM:

> Perhaps it's just my location, but I use(d) timeslot recording to record

> all the episodes of the new BSG series and ignore episodes of the
> original series. Why isn't simply recording "Battlestar Galactica" in
> the same timeslot every week an option? It works for me.
>
> As an aside, I really wish the showID (or whatever field Zap2It provides

> as a unique identifier) would be used if available instead of the title,

> it would virtually eliminate this type of issue.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

Using the "same timeslot every week" option doesn't allow for times when
the show doesn't air at the regular time. For instance, when Stargate:
SG-1 had a special 90 min episode, Atlantis and Galactica were both pushed
back half-an-hour.
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
James L. Paul wrote:
> Brad Templeton wrote:
>> As I noted when I gave the same answer, this series started in late 2004,
>> so you will want to use an earlier date, or use the seriesid query.
>
> Perhaps it's just my location, but I use(d) timeslot recording to record
> all the episodes of the new BSG series and ignore episodes of the
> original series. Why isn't simply recording "Battlestar Galactica" in
> the same timeslot every week an option? It works for me.

That keeps conflict resolution from working if there's something else on at the
same time that you might also want. If SciFi changes the schedule, a show
that's scheduled by timeslot won't keep up.

Recording shows by timeslot is old and busted. It's what you would've used on
your VCR. PVRs such as MythTV are smarter than that; recording shows by title
is the new hotness. (Since Zap2it is providing unique series IDs for the
original and new Battlestar Galactica, perhaps MythTV should be using that
instead of the title text. IIRC, TiVo can tell the two series apart.)

_/_
/ v \ Scott Alfter
(IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:02:33AM -1000, James L. Paul wrote:
> As an aside, I really wish the showID (or whatever field Zap2It provides
> as a unique identifier) would be used if available instead of the title,
> it would virtually eliminate this type of issue.

We looked at doing this a while back. There were enough unexpected
cases where the seriesids weren't the same and probably should have
been, that we decided to err on the sied of caution and stick with the
title check. You can always use the more advanced rules for those
cases that really need better discrimination.

David
--
David Engel
gigem@comcast.net
Re: Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 05:04:13PM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:02:33AM -1000, James L. Paul wrote:
> > As an aside, I really wish the showID (or whatever field Zap2It provides
> > as a unique identifier) would be used if available instead of the title,
> > it would virtually eliminate this type of issue.
>
> We looked at doing this a while back. There were enough unexpected
> cases where the seriesids weren't the same and probably should have
> been, that we decided to err on the sied of caution and stick with the
> title check. You can always use the more advanced rules for those
> cases that really need better discrimination.

What sort of incidences do you see? Some I know about from the past
have included the reunion episode of Survivor (which contains the
winner and is thus the most frustrating one to miss) having not just a
different series ID but a different title (nothing but keywords would
help you there)

However, using the title also introduces a number of errors. The
Battlestar Galactica entry is a new one, but attempting to record
the movie "In the Heat of the Night" or other movies that have had
a series with the same title can generate some interesting experiences
when doing it by title with a FindOne for example.

The Battlestar case is probably going to be rare, but both approaches
will have errors, so the best plan is to judge which errors are more
annoying, or to see which can be more easily corrected centrally as
well as by users. For example, some errors can be corrected by telling
Tribune Media Services, or with correction scripts. (For example
it would be useful, and not too hard, to have a central site for
'correction scripts' in SQL to be downloaded and applied after a
mythfilldatabase. Currently there is a script which fixes reruns, but
the concept could be generalized to something live.)

As another example, of late the data on The Daily Show has gotten wrong
and the episodes are all being listed with the generic coding, and
thus not recorded if you asked for new shows only. Again a correction
script here would save the day. Of course you must have only trusted
people make the scripts and they must be tested.
Re: Re: Recording New Battlestar series [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:32:22PM -0700, Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 05:04:13PM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> > We looked at doing this a while back. There were enough unexpected
> > cases where the seriesids weren't the same and probably should have
> > been, that we decided to err on the sied of caution and stick with the
> > title check. You can always use the more advanced rules for those
> > cases that really need better discrimination.
>
> What sort of incidences do you see? Some I know about from the past

Run the following query:

select distinct program.title,program.seriesid,tmp.seriesid from program
join program as tmp on program.title = tmp.title and
program.seriesid <> tmp.seriesid order by title;

David
--
David Engel
gigem@comcast.net