subtitle must match) but let it choose which showing to record (in
order to accommodate other recordings)?

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding some of the recording options, but it
seems like I can record a specific showing (i.e. a specific channel
and time), or I can record this title anytime (but not restrict to the
selected subtitle).

Let me know if I'm missing something...

Dan
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
Dan Christensen wrote:

>Is there a way to get myth to record a specific episode (title and
>subtitle must match) but let it choose which showing to record (in
>order to accommodate other recordings)?
>
>Maybe I'm just misunderstanding some of the recording options, but it
>seems like I can record a specific showing (i.e. a specific channel
>and time), or I can record this title anytime (but not restrict to the
>selected subtitle).
>
>Let me know if I'm missing something...

I think you would want to select "Record one showing of this title".
This would differ from "Record this showing only" in that it would find
the best air time in order to fit other recordings. I believe that this
would also differ from "Record in this timeslot, etc." by selecting only
that showing and not other showings with different title/subtitles.

Kevin
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
Kevin Kuphal <kuphal@dls.net> writes:

> Dan Christensen wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to get myth to record a specific episode (title and
>>subtitle must match) but let it choose which showing to record (in
>>order to accommodate other recordings)?
>
> I think you would want to select "Record one showing of this title".

Ah, ok, then I think the word "title" is used ambiguously. Here
are two of the options as displayed by mythweb:

Find and record one showing of this title.
Find and record one showing of this title each day.

You are saying that in the first one, it chooses this episode, so the
title and subtitle must match. But I assume that for the second one,
the subtitle is allowed to change from day to day?

Is there a better way to phrase this? What if myth always used
the word "program" when the title must match, "episode" when the
title and subtitle must match, and "showing" when it is a specific
episode on a specific channel at a specific time?

(Or is there another convention that I'm still misunderstanding?)

Dan
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
Dan Christensen wrote:
> Is there a way to get myth to record a specific episode (title and
> subtitle must match) but let it choose which showing to record (in
> order to accommodate other recordings)?

Normal non-search rules match on title only. If you want to do
something more specific, you can do so with Advanced Search or
Custom record. In this case, I'd recommend Advanced Search and
enter all, or at least unique parts of the title and subtitle then
click Record on the popup and choose to record one showing.

> Maybe I'm just misunderstanding some of the recording options, but it
> seems like I can record a specific showing (i.e. a specific channel
> and time), or I can record this title anytime (but not restrict to the
> selected subtitle).

The FindOne type was created to allow the scheduler to choose
showings of a movie or special (though it is useful in other ways
too) as there was no other way to do this. Some of the potential
problems were that differences in the descriptive info may make it
fail such as "(Live)" vs "(Taped)" or "(Dolby)" vs "(Stereo)" so
the descriptive info is ignored for the sake of the primary need
and for consistency with the other non-search record types.

-- bjm
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
Dan Christensen wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal <kuphal@dls.net> writes:
>

>>Dan Christensen wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a way to get myth to record a specific episode (title and
>>>subtitle must match) but let it choose which showing to record (in
>>>order to accommodate other recordings)?
>>
>>I think you would want to select "Record one showing of this title".
>

> Ah, ok, then I think the word "title" is used ambiguously. Here

Actually, it is quite deliberate and specific to try to make the
point that it is in fact looking for a "title" that matches.

> are two of the options as displayed by mythweb:
>
> Find and record one showing of this title.
> Find and record one showing of this title each day.
>
> You are saying that in the first one, it chooses this episode, so the
> title and subtitle must match. But I assume that for the second one,
> the subtitle is allowed to change from day to day?

I don't think he is and may have mis-read your question but I can
only speak for myself =).

None of the rule types look at the subtitle for a match. The only
way to do so is to use a search rule that will specifically look
for a match in the subtitle.

The two choice above are FindOne and FindDaily. FindOne will record
one showing then delete itself. FindDaily will record one showing
on each 24 hour period with no regard to the description or lack
thereof. For example, NewsNight with Aaron Brown is on twice each
evening (except this week =). Because it is a news show, there are
no descriptions but we know the two showings on the same day are
identical so FindDaily lets the scheduler choose either one.

-- bjm
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]

Bruce Markey <bjm@lvcm.com> writes:

> None of the rule types look at the subtitle for a match. The only
> way to do so is to use a search rule that will specifically look

Ok, that's what I originally thought.

I often find I want to record a specific episode of a show, but don't
care when it gets recorded, and I suspect others might like to do this
sometimes. If any developers are following, do you think a patch that
adds a FindOneEpisode recording rule would be accepted? Any pointers
for where to start digging? (I'm not promising that I'll do it, but
I'll try...)

Dan
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
I too would like to see a "Find and record one episode" option for
scheduling recordings. I realize I am probably in the minority here,
but I enjoy watching shows such as "Modern Marvels" and "History's
Mysteries" on The History Channel. Because the subjects of the shows
vary greatly (from "Tanks" to "Nature's Engineers"), I don't want to
record every single episode (sometimes 7+ per day). Currently, every
two weeks I go through the upcoming episodes and mark the ones I want
as "Record only this showing," even though each episode may have 2 or
3 air times. I then have to go back through all the marked episodes
and manually correct conflict problems (i only have one input source,
fun fun).

I have searched the archives, and a Custom Record or Search Words will
not work for me because there is nothing specific that I am looking
for. I just read the subtitle and description of each showing and
decide whether it interests me or not. Therefore, I realize that I
will still have to go through and manually select which episodes I
want to record, but this would keep me from having to do manual
conflict resolution. I know once every two weeks doesn't sound that
bad, but it is cumbersome and annoying, especially since it doesn't
*seem* like it would be hard to implement (just duplicating the "find
one" option and add subtitle = ...).

That being said, I have attempted to implement it myself, but I
haven't written C++ since back in college (to the tune of "Hello
World!"), and I get completly lost in the source code, not to mention
I have no idea how CVS works. I am not a programmer, but am trying to
present a real world scenerio to the developers where this option
would be useful, even with its drawbacks stated earlier (Live, Taped,
Dolby, Stereo). Please don't flame me and say "if you want it,
program it yourself." If you must, at least be helpful and give me a
starting point.

I would also like to do the customary tip of the hat to all the
developers and people who have contributed to this project. I have
been a luser since 0.16, and was able to get everything running
perfectly without ever having to post (this is my first) because of
the plethora of documentation provided by the community. I am
familiar with linux only as a server platform (as in no mouse,
monitor, or keyboard attached), and this was my first venture into the
desktop arena, so it was quite and undertaking.

On a side note, I am also trying to figure out how to create a Custom
Record rule to record all "Law & Order" with Jerry Orbach as an actor
using the credits db table, but haven't been able to figure that out.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The only place to search
based on people is under Search Words, but that doesn't allow any
additional criteria, so it gets everything he was in (including Dirty
Dancing, ugh).

-Matt

Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
Matthew Watson wrote:

>I too would like to see a "Find and record one episode" option for
>scheduling recordings. I realize I am probably in the minority here,
>but I enjoy watching shows such as "Modern Marvels" and "History's
>Mysteries" on The History Channel. Because the subjects of the shows
>vary greatly (from "Tanks" to "Nature's Engineers"), I don't want to
>record every single episode (sometimes 7+ per day). Currently, every
>two weeks I go through the upcoming episodes and mark the ones I want
>as "Record only this showing," even though each episode may have 2 or
>3 air times. I then have to go back through all the marked episodes
>and manually correct conflict problems (i only have one input source,
>fun fun).

Have you considered doing it the other way? Although you don't want to
record all of them, you could tell Myth you do want to (All showings on
Any channel). Then, go through your Scheduled Recordings and set any
episodes you don't want to "Never Record." This way, Myth has the
leeway to choose the most appropriate showing of any particular episode,
but you don't have to record/delete the ones you don't want.

I realize that with 351 episodes of Modern Marvels (
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideServlet/showid-14749/Modern_Marvels/
), this approach may seem daunting at first, but I'm pretty certain
you'll spend much less time with this approach than your current one
(especially using MythWeb with 2 browser windows/tabs and dragging the
"Never Record" link from one window to another). Also, if there are
actually 7 different episodes showing some days, you'll teach Myth which
ones you don't want in no time (once it's in the oldrecorded table, you
never have to worry about Myth recordings it again).

I've taught Myth which episodes of the Simpsons I've seen. They've
already aired 356 episodes of The Simpsons (
http://www.tvtome.com/Simpsons/eplist.html , at about 3 different
episodes per day) and I had previously seen at least 300 of them when I
started. A quick query in MySQL shows there are only 4 episodes
outstanding...

mysql> select count(*) from oldrecorded where title = 'The Simpsons';
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 352 |
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
> Matthew Watson wrote:
>
> >I too would like to see a "Find and record one episode" option for
> >scheduling recordings. I realize I am probably in the minority
> >here, but I enjoy watching shows such as "Modern Marvels" and
> >"History's Mysteries" on The History Channel. Because the subjects
> >of the shows vary greatly (from "Tanks" to "Nature's Engineers"), I
> >don't want to record every single episode (sometimes 7+ per day).
> >Currently, every two weeks I go through the upcoming episodes and
> >mark the ones I want as "Record only this showing," even though
> >each episode may have 2 or 3 air times. I then have to go back
> >through all the marked episodes and manually correct conflict
> >problems (i only have one input source, fun fun).

I think you're doing this sub-optimally.

Instead of "Record only this showing", choose "Find and record one
showing" (it's called something like that), so if "Tanks" is showing 3
times over the next 2 weeks, it can pick any one of them.

I do this all the time for recording weekend movies and PBS
documentaries (granted, there are not multiple broadcasts of network
movies, but PBS documentaries are usually broadcast a few times).

Much easier to browse the two weeks for the few you want, instead of
deselecting the 30 you don't want ...

--Rob
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
> >Is there a way to get myth to record a specific episode (title and
> >subtitle must match) but let it choose which showing to record (in
> >order to accommodate other recordings)?
>
> Bruce Markey <bjm@lvcm.com> writes:
>
> > None of the rule types look at the subtitle for a match. The only
> > way to do so is to use a search rule that will specifically look
>
> Ok, that's what I originally thought.
>
> I often find I want to record a specific episode of a show, but don't
> care when it gets recorded, and I suspect others might like to do this
> sometimes. If any developers are following, do you think a patch that
> adds a FindOneEpisode recording rule would be accepted? Any pointers
> for where to start digging? (I'm not promising that I'll do it, but
> I'll try...)

I think this was solved earlier this week when Brad Templeton launched
hos new TVWish program on this mailing list. This lets you tell MythTV
to records specific episodes of programs whenever it sees them in the
program guide. You can list one or many episodes for as many programs
as you like. It's a great piece of software. You can find all the info
at http://www.templetons.com/brad/myth/tvwish.html

Regards,
Phill
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
> Have you considered doing it the other way? Although you don't want to
> record all of them, you could tell Myth you do want to (All showings on
> Any channel). Then, go through your Scheduled Recordings and set any
> episodes you don't want to "Never Record." This way, Myth has the
> leeway to choose the most appropriate showing of any particular episode,
> but you don't have to record/delete the ones you don't want.

This does seem like a better way to do it. It also covers me if I am
out of town or forget to select which ones to record (or don't
record). It will just record all of them and then I can delete them
when I get around to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

> Instead of "Record only this showing", choose "Find and record one
> showing" (it's called something like that), so if "Tanks" is showing 3
> times over the next 2 weeks, it can pick any one of them.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. The "Find and record one showing"
rule only compares the title of the show, and not the subtitle. Since
all of the titles are "Modern Marvels", and "Tanks" is stored in the
subtitle, it will record the first showing of "Modern Marvels"
regardless of which episode it is.

> I think this was solved earlier this week when Brad Templeton launched
> hos new TVWish program on this mailing list. This lets you tell MythTV
> to records specific episodes of programs whenever it sees them in the
> program guide. You can list one or many episodes for as many programs
> as you like. It's a great piece of software. You can find all the info
> at http://www.templetons.com/brad/myth/tvwish.html

I must have missed it, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

-Matt
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
Matthew Watson wrote:

>>Have you considered doing it the other way? Although you don't want to
>>record all of them, you could tell Myth you do want to (All showings on
>>Any channel). Then, go through your Scheduled Recordings and set any
>>episodes you don't want to "Never Record." This way, Myth has the
>>leeway to choose the most appropriate showing of any particular episode,
>>but you don't have to record/delete the ones you don't want.
>>

>This does seem like a better way to do it. It also covers me if I am
>out of town or forget to select which ones to record (or don't
>record). It will just record all of them and then I can delete them
>when I get around to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yep. That's why all of my recording rules are Any/All. I learned the
hard way when "Category 6: Day of Destruction" turned out to be a
"mini-series" instead of a one-time movie. I ended up with two hours of
a 4-hour (or was it 6-hour?) movie, so it wasn't even worth watching...

Mike
Re: recording a specific episode anytime? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:28:58PM +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > >Is there a way to get myth to record a specific episode (title and
> > >subtitle must match) but let it choose which showing to record (in
> > >order to accommodate other recordings)?
> >
> > Bruce Markey <bjm@lvcm.com> writes:
> >
> > > None of the rule types look at the subtitle for a match. The only
> > > way to do so is to use a search rule that will specifically look
> >
> > Ok, that's what I originally thought.
> >
> > I often find I want to record a specific episode of a show, but don't
> > care when it gets recorded, and I suspect others might like to do this
> > sometimes. If any developers are following, do you think a patch that
> > adds a FindOneEpisode recording rule would be accepted? Any pointers
> > for where to start digging? (I'm not promising that I'll do it, but
> > I'll try...)
>
> I think this was solved earlier this week when Brad Templeton launched
> hos new TVWish program on this mailing list. This lets you tell MythTV
> to records specific episodes of programs whenever it sees them in the
> program guide. You can list one or many episodes for as many programs
> as you like. It's a great piece of software. You can find all the info
> at http://www.templetons.com/brad/myth/tvwish.html

TVWish ends up creating search-style recordings in order to do this,
using the SQL query form. The most common one it does is for a particular
programid (which is an ID assigned uniquely to shows, including episodes,
by datadirect). If there is no programid (ie. not datadirect in most
cases) I have just modified it to do a search for a title and subtitle
match.

I must admit that Myth's large array of choices for recordings have not
matched my impression of what people want to do the most often. My
view of the "PVR vision" is that you are not supposed to care when it's
on. So the most common recording styles should be:

a) Record a series
1) All episodes
2) New episodes only
3) All episodes on a specific channel

b) Record a specific show (ie. episode or unique title)

(B) does not exist right now for episodes.

These 4 choices match, I suspect, meet the vast bulk of needs.
However, there are some rarer needs, which I would put on a sub-menu to
avoid complication of the interface:

c) Record specific show at specific timeslot (for special cases,
and for manual conflcit-avoidance)

d) Specialized "record at most once per day/week/etc." recordings

e) Manual

Now there does get to be a little bit of complexity over the desire to
specify a channel. There are a few reasons to do it.

a) One channel is running the series at a different time than
the other. Thus you might want to record Buffy on FX but not WB.
b) One channel is "better" than another. They may add fewer commercials
or come in more strongly. Or one may be HD and the other not.
The latter I would like to fix with a different patch, an HD preference
flag which automatically prefers HD and DTV versions.

Unfortunately, doing "record a show" is slightly complex because the
programid is a good way to do it but you can't depend on the programid
to be there outside of DataDirect territory.