delete a program through mythweb it crashes the master backend. Any
suggestions?

Bryan
Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
Bryan Halter bhalter-at-armyofpenguins.com |Lists| wrote:
> I'm running mythweb on a remote machine (not the masted backend), when I
> delete a program through mythweb it crashes the master backend. Any
> suggestions?

Well, not a fix, but a workaround:
I also *access* mythweb from another machine, my main webserver, and I
have it setup so that webserver acts like a proxy and forwards all
requests to myth transparently. Apache is cool! I do:

# You'll need to load mod_rewrite. For me this is:
# LoadModule rewrite_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/prot/myth/mythweb/(.*) http://myth/mythweb/$1 [P]

(The URL that I access *on my webserver* is e.g.
http://mainwebserver/prot/myth/mythweb/ and that just works now)

And then protect everything under /prot with a password:
<Location /prot>
Deny from all
Allow from 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/htpasswd.users
AuthName "protected directory"
Require valid-user
Satisfy any
</Location>

Then as far as mythweb is concerned its running locally, while your
browser thinks its accessing the main webserver. When you're running
from your own LAN (192.168.0.X) you do it without password, but from
"the outside" - you'll be requested to enter your password. Maybe that
wasn't what you were looking for, but its worked flawlessly for me, and
I hope this helps you too!

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www..........
Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
Bryan Halter wrote:
> I'm running mythweb on a remote machine (not the masted backend), when I
> delete a program through mythweb it crashes the master backend. Any
> suggestions?

Are you running 0.17?
Did 0.16 have the same problem?

-WD

Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
Will Dormann wrote:
> Bryan Halter wrote:
>
>> I'm running mythweb on a remote machine (not the masted backend), when
>> I delete a program through mythweb it crashes the master backend. Any
>> suggestions?
>

> Are you running 0.17?
> Did 0.16 have the same problem?
>

> -WD

This has just started happening to me also. I have been running cvs for
awhile. I did not notice it until about three weeks ago. It happened
this morning. I have since turned on verbose logging on the backend and
will see what happens. Before it would have nothing in the log
indicating a problem.

- James
Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
Will Dormann wrote:

> Bryan Halter wrote:
>
>> I'm running mythweb on a remote machine (not the masted backend),
>> when I delete a program through mythweb it crashes the master
>> backend. Any suggestions?
>

> Are you running 0.17?
> Did 0.16 have the same problem?
>

> -WD

Yes I'm running .17, I didn't run it this way with .16 and .17 functions
correctly if I run it on the master backend.

--
Bryan Halter
bhalter@armyofpenguins.com
Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:48:17 -0500, Bryan Halter
<bhalter@armyofpenguins.com> wrote:
> Will Dormann wrote:
>
> > Bryan Halter wrote:
> >
> >> I'm running mythweb on a remote machine (not the masted backend),
> >> when I delete a program through mythweb it crashes the master
> >> backend. Any suggestions?
> >

> > Are you running 0.17?
> > Did 0.16 have the same problem?
> >

> > -WD

> Yes I'm running .17, I didn't run it this way with .16 and .17 functions
> correctly if I run it on the master backend.
>
> --

A lot of people seem to be having this problem with .17. I don't think
it has anything to do with the fact that you're running mythweb on a
separate box. I'm running it that way also, and didn't have this
problem under .16. However, .17 crashes so frequently when I try to
delete programs under mythweb, that I've stopped using mythweb
altogether just to be on the safe side. I'm hoping that when they
figure it out, Isaac releases a .17.1, because this seems like a
fairly serious issue. If not, I may end up upgrading to CVS when I
hear that the problem is fixed instead of waiting for .18.

Shawn Asmussen
Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
Shawn Asmussen wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:48:17 -0500, Bryan Halter
><bhalter@armyofpenguins.com> wrote:
>

>>Will Dormann wrote:

>>>Are you running 0.17?
>>>Did 0.16 have the same problem?
>>>

>>>-WD

>>Yes I'm running .17, I didn't run it this way with .16 and .17 functions
>>correctly if I run it on the master backend.
>>
>>--
>>

>A lot of people seem to be having this problem with .17. I don't think
>it has anything to do with the fact that you're running mythweb on a
>separate box. I'm running it that way also, and didn't have this
>problem under .16. However, .17 crashes so frequently when I try to
>delete programs under mythweb, that I've stopped using mythweb
>altogether just to be on the safe side. I'm hoping that when they
>figure it out, Isaac releases a .17.1, because this seems like a
>fairly serious issue. If not, I may end up upgrading to CVS when I
>hear that the problem is fixed instead of waiting for .18.
>
>Shawn Asmussen

I did some more testing since I posted this and found if I
activate/deactivate programs from the scheduled recordings page it also
crashes. How does mythweb communicate? Does it interact with the DB
directly or does it talk to the backend?

Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
> I did some more testing since I posted this and found if I
> activate/deactivate programs from the scheduled recordings page it also
> crashes. How does mythweb communicate? Does it interact with the DB
> directly or does it talk to the backend?

Both. It works exactly how a remote frontend would, except that it's
PHP. Problem is, I only know as much about the direct backend
communications as the main devs tell me, so perhaps I'm missing something.

I do know that there is a bug with generating the preview pixmaps in
mythweb that sometimes causes the backend to crash -- I don't know how
to fix it, but people are trying to figure out if it's a mythweb bug or
a backend bug.

If you're running cvs, there have also been some changes to the
scheduler that haven't been put into mythweb yet -- I wouldn't think
they could crash the backend, but they might.

-Chris
Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
Chris Petersen <lists@forevermore.net> said:

> I do know that there is a bug with generating the preview pixmaps in
> mythweb that sometimes causes the backend to crash -- I don't know how
> to fix it, but people are trying to figure out if it's a mythweb bug or
> a backend bug.

Chris,

I haven't seen the backend crash
ever since you set the socket time out back to 20 seconds from 4
in includes/mythbackend.php

line 112:
socket_set_timeout($fp, 20);

Risto.
Re: mythweb causing backend to crash (Remote mythweb) [ In reply to ]
>> I did some more testing since I posted this and found if I
>> activate/deactivate programs from the scheduled recordings page it also
>> crashes. How does mythweb communicate? Does it interact with the DB
>> directly or does it talk to the backend?

I was able to crash the backend again with verbose logging. I don't have
the backend compiled with debugging yet. I click on a Recording
Schedule to remove it. I click on Cancel This Schedule then click Update
and I got:

Warning at /var/www/html/includes/mythbackend.php, line 102:
fsockopen(): unable to connect to 192.168.1.251:6543 Fatal Error at
/var/www/html/includes/mythbackend.php, line 32:
Unable to connect to mythbackend, is it running?

Here is the last part of the backend log (trimmed):

2005-03-08 14:00:43.579 Reschedule requested for id 109.
2005-03-08 14:00:43.580 1 1
Query 0: /record.search = 0 AND (record.recordid = 109 OR 109 = -1) AND
program. title = record.title
2005-03-08 14:00:43.619 |-- Start DB Query 0...
2005-03-08 14:00:43.621 |-- -1 results in 0.000905 sec.
2005-03-08 14:00:43.622 +-- Done.
2005-03-08 14:00:43.625 PruneOldRecords...
2005-03-08 14:00:43.630 AddNewRecords...
2005-03-08 14:00:43.639 |-- Start DB Query...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.052 |-- 601 results in 0.412317 sec. Processing...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.157 +-- Cleanup...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.159 Sort by time...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.161 PruneOverlaps...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.163 Sort by priority...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.165 BuildListMaps...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.167 SchedNewRecords...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.168 Scheduling:
+Alias - "The Index" 41 1000 09 21:01-22:01 1 1 1
A 1 8
+Alias - "The Road Home" 41 1000 16 21:01-22:02 1 1 1
A 1 8

2005-03-08 14:00:44.305 ClearListMaps...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.306 Sort by time...
2005-03-08 14:00:44.307 PruneRedundants...
--- print list start ---
Title - Subtitle Chan ChID Day Start End S C I T
N Pri
Will & Grace - "Bacon and Eggs" 8104 11104 08 18:00-18:30 3 0 0 A
r 1

--- print list end ---
2005-03-08 14:00:44.747 Scheduled 362 items in 0.7 = 0.04 match + 0.69 place

The last line has been what I always see in the log when the backend
dies. Scheduled xxx items.

- James
Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:36:45 -0000, Risto Treksler <risto@elkhornbanff.ca> wrote:

> Chris Petersen <lists@forevermore.net> said:
>
> > I do know that there is a bug with generating the preview pixmaps in
> > mythweb that sometimes causes the backend to crash -- I don't know how
> > to fix it, but people are trying to figure out if it's a mythweb bug or
> > a backend bug.
>
> Chris,
>
> I haven't seen the backend crash
> ever since you set the socket time out back to 20 seconds from 4
> in includes/mythbackend.php
>
> line 112:
> socket_set_timeout($fp, 20);
>
> Risto.

I tried that, and the first time I tested deleting a file from mythweb
after making the change, the backend crashed. So, although it might
help part of the problem, it doesn't seem to fix the whole problem.

Shawn Asmussen
Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Tue, March 8, 2005 1:36 pm, Risto Treksler said:
> I haven't seen the backend crash
> ever since you set the socket time out back to 20 seconds from 4
> in includes/mythbackend.php
>
> line 112:
> socket_set_timeout($fp, 20);

Just wanted to mention that this solved my problems with mythweb crashing
the backend after viewing recorded programs and/or deleting programs (with
v0.17 installed from Axel's repository). I made this change last night
and the backend still lives!!!

Now I can safely use Mythweb again!!! Thanks guys!

-mS

Re: Remote mythweb [ In reply to ]