be used if you are running a linux firewall and the vonage phone
traffice passes through it.

- James
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
I'd be interested in that! =)

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
James Armstrong wrote:

> I don't know how many people here are using Vonage for phone service.
> I have a perl script I hacked up that monitors the sip traffic to the
> vonage phone and alerts my mythfrontend via mythnotify to the osd when
> there is an incoming call. It shows the caller name and number. This
> can be used if you are running a linux firewall and the vonage phone
> traffice passes through it.

I do. I would love to see a copy of this. Unfortunately I'm not
running my firewall on linux.

Kevin
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
Me too!

Michael Segulja
LMD Computing Solutions, Inc.
(281) 376-8181 | Office.
(281) 300-8285 | Mobile
(281) 576-7230 | Fax
http://www.lmdcs.com

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:57:08 -0600, dead <dead@tormented.com> wrote:
> I'd be interested in that! =)

me too! sounds sweet.

------------------------------------
6 GMail Invites available
Email me OFF-list only...
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
I would like to see it as well. Not sure if I can use it if the
prerequisite is a linux firewall though.

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
> I don't know how many people here are using Vonage for phone service. I
> have a perl script I hacked up that monitors the sip traffic to the
> vonage phone and alerts my mythfrontend via mythnotify to the osd when
> there is an incoming call. It shows the caller name and number. This can
> be used if you are running a linux firewall and the vonage phone
> traffice passes through it.

Love my vonage, and for that functionality, I'd consider configuring
my myth box with a second nic and route the vonage through it if I
have too! Like the rest, I'm not currently using a linux firewall. :(

How about doing this with tcpdump from the myth box itself? My myth
box actually shares a 10base hub w/ the vonage box, so should be no
reason it can't sniff out the sip...

-Kenneth
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]

> Love my vonage,

What is the real advantage to vonage. I've seen the ads, but haven't
been compelled to research.
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
Hi,

maybe this is slightly offtopic, but for those that have some more telephony
needs around the house, there is quite interesting solution. Asterisk is
open source PBX, that can be easily connected to outside scripts, that can
then do mythnotifies (there are quite some scripts already done for
Misterhouse program) - this setup is also useful for all other events - I
wrote simple plugin for Misterhouse that will send notifies on more
important events....

But the real problem with mythnotify is that it won't display if you are not
watching video or live TV. So you won't see all messages all the time.
That's why I use mythtv in combination with Freevo, that does this easily...

Regards,

Rob.

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
>Asterisk is
> open source PBX, that can be easily connected to outside scripts, that can
> then do mythnotifies .....Misterhouse that will send notifies on more
> important events....

So you have a PBX and a home automation system in your home? How much
do each of these projects cost? I took a good look at the asterisk
project and it didn't look like much of an outlay, but what are the
advantages to having a PBX in your home if you have one line? Maybe
you have a business in your home?
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
Robert Rozman wrote:

>Hi,
>
>maybe this is slightly offtopic, but for those that have some more telephony
>needs around the house, there is quite interesting solution. Asterisk is
>open source PBX, that can be easily connected to outside scripts, that can
>then do mythnotifies (there are quite some scripts already done for
>Misterhouse program) - this setup is also useful for all other events - I
>wrote simple plugin for Misterhouse that will send notifies on more
>important events....
>
>But the real problem with mythnotify is that it won't display if you are not
>watching video or live TV. So you won't see all messages all the time.
>That's why I use mythtv in combination with Freevo, that does this easily...
>
>Regards,
>
>Rob.

Hey fellow Misterhouser, I see your name all the time on the misterhouse
list. I have been running it for years now. I have the same problem with
Mythnotify, it does not display while not watching tv. I have been
thinking about trying to write something in the frontend that will just
display a popup qt box that will do the same while in the menus.

- James
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
John Williams wrote:

>>Love my vonage,
>>

>What is the real advantage to vonage. I've seen the ads, but haven't
>been compelled to research.

Saving money. I have the $14.99 a month plan with Vonage. All calls are
over the internet. Long distance included. My friend has it and my
wife's sister is about to get it. You can talk to anyone with Vonage for
free. The plan that is unlimited is only $24.99 a month. My phone
service with local and long distance was costing me about $60 a month,
so now I am saving $45 a month.

- James
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
Maverick wrote:

>>I don't know how many people here are using Vonage for phone service. I
>>have a perl script I hacked up that monitors the sip traffic to the
>>vonage phone and alerts my mythfrontend via mythnotify to the osd when
>>there is an incoming call. It shows the caller name and number. This can
>>be used if you are running a linux firewall and the vonage phone
>>traffice passes through it.
>>

>Love my vonage, and for that functionality, I'd consider configuring
>my myth box with a second nic and route the vonage through it if I
>have too! Like the rest, I'm not currently using a linux firewall. :(
>
>How about doing this with tcpdump from the myth box itself? My myth
>box actually shares a 10base hub w/ the vonage box, so should be no
>reason it can't sniff out the sip...
>
>-Kenneth

If your nic can hear the vonage traffic then it should work. The script
uses pcap to tap into the same functions that tcpdump uses.

- James
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
> > open source PBX, that can be easily connected to outside scripts, that
can
> > then do mythnotifies .....Misterhouse that will send notifies on more
> > important events....
>
> So you have a PBX and a home automation system in your home? How much
> do each of these projects cost? I took a good look at the asterisk
he,he, they are both open source. they cost only your time...

> project and it didn't look like much of an outlay, but what are the
> advantages to having a PBX in your home if you have one line? Maybe
> you have a business in your home?
Well Asterisk isn't just plain PBX. It has also voicemail, Interactive Voice
for free, also with others... I can control house over phone and DTMF,
Festival (TTS) speaks back what's going on in the house, etc... And yes, I
have one line too, but like all these features...

Regards,

Rob.

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
What hardware are you using with Asterisk? I know this is getting way
off topic, but I checked out Asterisk a few months ago after reading
about it in Linux Magazine. I couldn't really figure out if it's
possible to use Asterisk with a regular phone or if it requires a board
for the computer and a phone designed for a PBX or digital phone system
or something. I guess I'm confused on how you make the connection
between your phone and Asterisk. I really like the idea of the PBX and
voice mail because I run a home based business, plus I've been running
Automated Living's HAL (automatedliving.com) for home automation, and
have recently started looking into MisterHouse because I'm tired of
having to pay for it every time they release an update. I use Vonage as
well, but use the HAL software for voice mail because of the voice
control. I really love the call announcement. I would prefer to use
open source wherever possible and not have to run a Windows machine just
for HAL. It would be super cool to see some sort of control for
something like MisterHouse through Myth. A MythAutomation module or
something that would let you control your lighting, voice mail,
temperature, etc. all from Myth.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I'm unfortunately about as far from a
programmer as one could get, otherwise I'd see what I could do. That's
one of the reason's MisterHouse is really intimidating because of all
the Perl code that seems to be involved.

Michael

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
Has the script not been posted anywhere or did I miss it? Have you made
it available so we can try it out?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: vonage caller id (file link) [ In reply to ]
Michael Segulja wrote:

> Has the script not been posted anywhere or did I miss it? Have you
> made it available so we can try it out?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Just cleaned it up some. Thinking about making it a C program instead of
Perl script. Here are the Perl Modules needed:

IO::Socket
Net::Pcap
NetPacket::Ethernet
NetPacket::IP
NetPacket::TCP
NetPacket::UDP
Unicode::String
Proc::Daemon
Proc::Simple
Unix::Syslog

The perl script can be downloaded from:

http://www.thearmstrongs.org/mythtv/vonageSniff.pl

To use:
-d=dev <-The device to capture packets from
-f='filter string' <-String to filter on enclosed in single quotes
(DEFAULT: 'udp and port 5061')
-ip <-IP Address to send mythnotify to
-p <-Place the device into promiscuous mode
-to=integer <-Read timeout in ms
--quiet <-Do not print anything but errors to STDOUT
-D <-Run as daemon

Defaults:
-d=eth0
-f='udp and port 5061'
-p
-ip='192.168.1.252'
-to=1000

You need to specify the ip address of your mythfrontend with the -ip
parameter, the rest of the defaults should be ok.

- James

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
> What hardware are you using with Asterisk? I know this is getting way
> off topic, but I checked out Asterisk a few months ago after reading
> about it in Linux Magazine. I couldn't really figure out if it's
> possible to use Asterisk with a regular phone or if it requires a board
> for the computer and a phone designed for a PBX or digital phone system
Hi,

I'm using Euro ISDN inteface called Fritz from AVM. It'll let me receive and
place calls over ISDN line...

> or something. I guess I'm confused on how you make the connection
> between your phone and Asterisk. I really like the idea of the PBX and
> voice mail because I run a home based business, plus I've been running
> Automated Living's HAL (automatedliving.com) for home automation, and
> have recently started looking into MisterHouse because I'm tired of
> having to pay for it every time they release an update. I use Vonage as
> well, but use the HAL software for voice mail because of the voice
> control. I really love the call announcement. I would prefer to use
> open source wherever possible and not have to run a Windows machine just
> for HAL. It would be super cool to see some sort of control for
> something like MisterHouse through Myth. A MythAutomation module or
> something that would let you control your lighting, voice mail,
> temperature, etc. all from Myth.
>
> Anyway, just some thoughts. I'm unfortunately about as far from a
> programmer as one could get, otherwise I'd see what I could do. That's
> one of the reason's MisterHouse is really intimidating because of all
> the Perl code that seems to be involved.

Well, that's how we all started...

REgards,

Rob.

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
> >How about doing this with tcpdump from the myth box itself? My myth
> >box actually shares a 10base hub w/ the vonage box, so should be no
> >reason it can't sniff out the sip...
>
> If your nic can hear the vonage traffic then it should work. The script
> uses pcap to tap into the same functions that tcpdump uses.

awesome. I want to give it a try. Have you posted the script somewhere?
Re: vonage caller id (file link) [ In reply to ]
> Just cleaned it up some. Thinking about making it a C program instead of
> Perl script. Here are the Perl Modules needed:

Just got it installed and working on my KnoppMyth v4r5 installation,
and it works wonderfully! My only comment on the above is that Perl
seems so much more flexiable, like I already noticed a small change I
want to make, format the phone number like (###) ###-####. In Perl I
can do this so much quicker than if it where a compiled C program.
Either way, it's a slick app!

> The perl script can be downloaded from:
>
> http://www.thearmstrongs.org/mythtv/vonageSniff.pl

Thanks again for sharing this awesome utility! It's so cool to see
who's calling while I'm watching TV!

-Kenneth
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
Zachary Bedell wrote:

> First of all, if I can put in my "Me Too!" for the Vonage caller-id
> sniffer. That sounds like a useful little bit of code. I'd be happy
> to host the script on my site if it doesn't have anywhere else to live.
>
> On Jan 29, 2005, at 1:47 PM, James Armstrong wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem with Mythnotify, it does not display while
>> not watching tv. I have been thinking about trying to write something
>> in the frontend that will just display a popup qt box that will do
>> the same while in the menus.
>

> I've had good luck using xYac (which uses XOsd) to handle caller-id
> pop-ups. It displays over anything in X including videos in MPlayer,
> DVDs in Ogle, and all the various Myth plugins.
>
> In my Myth startup script, I have the following line right before the
> call to Mythfrontend:
> xyac -c yellow -f -adobe-utopia-bold-r-normal--*-400-*-*-*-*-* -s 5 &

Sounds good. I don't like not having the callerid display when not
watching recordings. Maybe we can modify mythfrontend to have an option
to use XOsd also along with the current osd support. I will get this
installed and modify the script to send to xYac also.

- James

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
"A MythAutomation module or something that would let you control your lighting, voice mail, temperature, etc. all from Myth."

I had considered writing something like this before I started using MythTV, but as I started using MythTV, I just feel it would interrupt watching shows if in the middle of a show you wanted to kick off some X10 or other event -- you'd have to first pause it, or map a set of keys on the remote to do this blind -- unless you had a smart remote with an LCD display.

Alternatively, I decided to leave MythTV alone and write a X Windows application to do home automation interface, log printouts, anouncements / (virtual) alarm clock / answering system interface / thermostat and external temperature readout / controls to flip through security camera captured events -- which would be displayed out a television port and in my case modulated onto the antenna cable so I could see/use the app/interface from any television in the home.

I'm using a Matrox G400 dual head card to produce the NTSC signal, but this could be done with any free VGA port with a scan converter.

If you are interested, let me know, and I will keep you informed of my progress. Otherwise, I'll just post it on my website when I'm finished for those that stumble upon my site. ;)

Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
sschaefer1@woh.rr.com wrote:
> "A MythAutomation module or something that would let you control your lighting, voice mail, temperature, etc. all from Myth."
>
> I had considered writing something like this before I started using MythTV, but as I started using MythTV, I just feel it would interrupt watching shows if in the middle of a show you wanted to kick off some X10 or other event -- you'd have to first pause it, or map a set of keys on the remote to do this blind -- unless you had a smart remote with an LCD display.
>
> Alternatively, I decided to leave MythTV alone and write a X Windows application to do home automation interface, log printouts, anouncements / (virtual) alarm clock / answering system interface / thermostat and external temperature readout / controls to flip through security camera captured events -- which would be displayed out a television port and in my case modulated onto the antenna cable so I could see/use the app/interface from any television in the home.
>
> I'm using a Matrox G400 dual head card to produce the NTSC signal, but this could be done with any free VGA port with a scan converter.
>
> If you are interested, let me know, and I will keep you informed of my progress. Otherwise, I'll just post it on my website when I'm finished for those that stumble upon my site. ;)

I would just use Misterhouse. Already done, been out for years. Uses tk
to provide a nice interface on linux. Runs on Windbloze too.

http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/

- James
Re: vonage caller id [ In reply to ]
I considered that, problem is that the MisterHouse Tk interface, http://w3.misterhouse.net:81/public/mh/tk_interface.gif , would not display well on a television, although it could be controlled via a infrared remote, it would not be very intuitive. The program am writing would not have a mouse or keyboard associated, infrared remote only. Also, would not have the flexibility as MisterHouse, but would be an appropriate interface available through the television.

> I would just use Misterhouse. Already done, been out for years.
> Uses tk
> to provide a nice interface on linux. Runs on Windbloze too.
>
> http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/
>
> - James

1 2  View All