Mailing List Archive

MythTV no longer recording TV (after update?)
Hello,

I use Mythbuntu 11.10 (and have done for many years). When I tried
watching Live TV this morning, I realised that MythTV is no longer
recording television properly (without giving an error). It was working
fine yesterday morning. My old recordings are working fine, so my guess
is that it is on the capture side of things.

I use an HVR-2200 (same as an HVR-2250 for PAL) with Steven Toth's
driver/firmware.

I have seen a bit in the news about the updates for the Linux kernel
vulnerability:
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1336-1/
http://www.itworld.com/244019/linux-vendors-rush-patch-privilege-escalation-flaw-after-root-exploits-emerge

I have automatic updating turned on for security updates, so I'm
wondering if perhaps the kernel update could have somehow broken the
firmware? This does seem a bit unlikely for a security fix, but it is
the only big update that I can see.

If there is an easy answer, it would be great if somebody could give me
some pointers before I lose hours trying to locate the problem. Nothing
jumped out at me in the logs before I ran out to work.

Regards,

Aaron

Re: MythTV no longer recording TV (after update?) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM, <lists@whitehouse.org.nz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Mythbuntu 11.10 (and have done for many years).  When I tried
> watching Live TV this morning, I realised that MythTV is no longer
> recording television properly (without giving an error). It was working
> fine yesterday morning. My old recordings are working fine, so my guess
> is that it is on the capture side of things.
>
> I use an HVR-2200 (same as an HVR-2250 for PAL) with Steven Toth's
> driver/firmware.
>
> I have seen a bit in the news about the updates for the Linux kernel
> vulnerability:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1336-1/
> http://www.itworld.com/244019/linux-vendors-rush-patch-privilege-escalation-flaw-after-root-exploits-emerge
>
> I have automatic updating turned on for security updates, so I'm
> wondering if perhaps the kernel update could have somehow broken the
> firmware? This does seem a bit unlikely for a security fix, but it is
> the only big update that I can see.
>
> If there is an easy answer, it would be great if somebody could give me
> some pointers before I lose hours trying to locate the problem. Nothing
> jumped out at me in the logs before I ran out to work.

The easy answer would be to revert back to the previous kernel and test it.

Also check your database tables and that you have epg data.

Re: MythTV no longer recording TV (after update?) [ In reply to ]
Quoting lists@whitehouse.org.nz:

> Hello,
>
> I use Mythbuntu 11.10 (and have done for many years). When I tried
> watching Live TV this morning, I realised that MythTV is no longer
> recording television properly (without giving an error). It was working
> fine yesterday morning. My old recordings are working fine, so my guess
> is that it is on the capture side of things.
>
> I use an HVR-2200 (same as an HVR-2250 for PAL) with Steven Toth's
> driver/firmware.
>
> I have seen a bit in the news about the updates for the Linux kernel
> vulnerability:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1336-1/
> http://www.itworld.com/244019/linux-vendors-rush-patch-privilege-escalation-flaw-after-root-exploits-emerge
>
> I have automatic updating turned on for security updates, so I'm
> wondering if perhaps the kernel update could have somehow broken the
> firmware? This does seem a bit unlikely for a security fix, but it is
> the only big update that I can see.
>
> If there is an easy answer, it would be great if somebody could give me
> some pointers before I lose hours trying to locate the problem. Nothing
> jumped out at me in the logs before I ran out to work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron

Aaron

On Centos I need to re compile/install the HVR-2200 drivers with every
new kernel as the driver in the kernel is too out of date to recognise
the version of the 2200 that I have.

Reguards

Mike

Re: MythTV no longer recording TV (after update?) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:20:03 +1300, <lists@whitehouse.org.nz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use Mythbuntu 11.10 (and have done for many years). When I tried
> watching Live TV this morning, I realised that MythTV is no longer
> recording television properly (without giving an error). It was working
> fine yesterday morning. My old recordings are working fine, so my guess
> is that it is on the capture side of things.
>
> I use an HVR-2200 (same as an HVR-2250 for PAL) with Steven Toth's
> driver/firmware.
>
> I have seen a bit in the news about the updates for the Linux kernel
> vulnerability:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1336-1/
> http://www.itworld.com/244019/linux-vendors-rush-patch-privilege-escalation-flaw-after-root-exploits-emerge
>
> I have automatic updating turned on for security updates, so I'm
> wondering if perhaps the kernel update could have somehow broken the
> firmware? This does seem a bit unlikely for a security fix, but it is
> the only big update that I can see.
>
> If there is an easy answer, it would be great if somebody could give me
> some pointers before I lose hours trying to locate the problem. Nothing
> jumped out at me in the logs before I ran out to work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron

I just performed an update on mythbuntu this is the first update since
installing
The 11.10 iso,so it was a major one and included a kernel update.
This was straight forward with no problems.

I'm using the HRV-2200 too.