Mailing List Archive

Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works
Suddenly the HDMI output on the board no longer works. It has always worked fine previously.

I have connected a monitor via the DVI and VGA connectors and both of those work fine.

It looks like a hardware fault but if anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to try getting it going again.

Assuming the HDMI output has failed, can I just use the DVI output, convert it to an HDMI with a DVI male to HDMI male adapter and still get video and sound to my TV's HDMI input?

Cheers
Re: Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works [ In reply to ]
On 04/09/11 20:11, Steve V wrote:
> Suddenly the HDMI output on the board no longer works. It has always
> worked fine previously.
> I have connected a monitor via the DVI and VGA connectors and both of
> those work fine.

So the card is okay.

> It looks like a hardware fault but if anyone has any other suggestions I
> would be happy to try getting it going again.

Do you replug it frequently? Look in the end for bent or missing pins.
Check with another cable first - they're notoriously fragile.
An HDMI cable/socket is only rated for a couple hundred plug/unplug cycles.

> Assuming the HDMI output has failed, can I just use the DVI output,
> convert it to an HDMI with a DVI male to HDMI male adapter and still get
> video and sound to my TV's HDMI input?

No idea - sounds hard work.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works [ In reply to ]
> > Assuming the HDMI output has failed, can I just use the DVI output,
> > convert it to an HDMI with a DVI male to HDMI male adapter and still get
> > video and sound to my TV's HDMI input?
>
> No idea - sounds hard work.

I had DVI computer out to HDMI monitor, with sound, for a little while
on my computer (GT220 I think), just worked straight away when I plugged
it in.

Mark
Re: Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works [ In reply to ]
On 05/09/11 07:40, Mark Kendall wrote:

>> > Assuming the HDMI output has failed, can I just use the DVI output,
>> > convert it to an HDMI with a DVI male to HDMI male adapter and still get
>> > video and sound to my TV's HDMI input?
>>
>> No idea - sounds hard work.
>>
> I had DVI computer out to HDMI monitor, with sound, for a little while
> on my computer (GT220 I think), just worked straight away when I plugged
> it in.
>
> Mark

I have an Asus EN9400GT Silent. Sound does not work over DVI-to-HDMI to
my Panasonic TV. I recall earlier discussions on this list about needing
a link from the motherboard sound to the video card.

Beware of DVI-to-HDMI converters. There are some bad ones out there that
don't seem to work with HD video. Just make sure you can return it if it
doesn't work.

David

Re: Ion NVIDIA 330 board HDMI no longer works [ In reply to ]
> I have an Asus EN9400GT Silent. Sound does not work over DVI-to-HDMI to
> my Panasonic TV. I recall earlier discussions on this list about needing
> a link from the motherboard sound to the video card.
>
> Beware of DVI-to-HDMI converters. There are some bad ones out there that
> don't seem to work with HD video. Just make sure you can return it if it
> doesn't work.

Intel HDA codecs only appeared in the nVidia ION & 200 series.
Prior to this was the era of S/PDIF link cables.

A 19 pin HDMI is a single link DVI-D, it is invisible to the receiver; I
would expect the audio functionality of the DVI-D jack is dependent on
the PCB design.