no direct line of sight to any transmitters, there are hills between me
and any nearby ones.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz | linux.conf.au 2012
| Come with us, Under the Stars
| http://lcaunderthestars.org.au
Re: Satellite dish suppliers? [ In reply to ]
Andrew Ruthven wrote, On 04/21/2011 12:46 PM:
> I'm now at the stage in my house build where I need to get about a
> satellite dish. I have a tame ex-aerial installer lined up to give me a
> hand to mount a dish, but I need one first.
>
> Any recommendations for a decent dish and supplier?
>
> Doesn't have to be too big, but bigger than a typical Sky dish would be
> good. Ideally I'd be able to throw a couple of LNBs on it.
>
> I'm also in the market for a LNB...
>
> The other thing I need to consider is throwing up a UHF aerial. I have
> no direct line of sight to any transmitters, there are hills between me
> and any nearby ones.

Best deals I found for sat dishes was on trademe.
Get a satellite meter too - they're cheap and you can't do it without.
Also be aware some DVB-S cards only power the LNB when recording or
active. That had me puzzled for a while.

Re: Satellite dish suppliers? [ In reply to ]
On 21/04/11 1:17 PM, "criggie@criggie.dyndns.org"
<criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:

>Andrew Ruthven wrote, On 04/21/2011 12:46 PM:
>> I'm now at the stage in my house build where I need to get about a
>> satellite dish. I have a tame ex-aerial installer lined up to give me a
>> hand to mount a dish, but I need one first.
>>
>> Any recommendations for a decent dish and supplier?
>>
>> Doesn't have to be too big, but bigger than a typical Sky dish would be
>> good. Ideally I'd be able to throw a couple of LNBs on it.

I acquired a Toroidal dish a few years ago and never got it installed so
it has not been used. I also have a Satellite STB/lots of
Cable/Connectors/8 way Switch + 6-8 LNB's I think for the dish. (Basically
everything needed.. You just need to get it all installed.

Quite a number of them where sold in NZ and work well.

Offers Taken..

Thanks
Craig

Re: Satellite dish suppliers? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Andrew Ruthven <andrew@etc.gen.nz> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm now at the stage in my house build where I need to get about a
> satellite dish.  I have a tame ex-aerial installer lined up to give me a
> hand to mount a dish, but I need one first.
>
> Any recommendations for a decent dish and supplier?
>
> Doesn't have to be too big, but bigger than a typical Sky dish would be
> good.  Ideally I'd be able to throw a couple of LNBs on it.
>
> I'm also in the market for a LNB...
>
> The other thing I need to consider is throwing up a UHF aerial.  I have
> no direct line of sight to any transmitters, there are hills between me
> and any nearby ones.

Got mine here http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/

Were fine to deal with and got exactly what i ordered :)

Have had it installed in 3 homes now. Easier to take down than to install !

Re: Satellite dish suppliers? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, April 21, 2011 1:17 pm, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org wrote:
> Andrew Ruthven wrote, On 04/21/2011 12:46 PM:
>> I'm now at the stage in my house build where I need to get about a
>> satellite dish. I have a tame ex-aerial installer lined up to give me a
>> hand to mount a dish, but I need one first.
>>
>> Any recommendations for a decent dish and supplier?
>>
>> Doesn't have to be too big, but bigger than a typical Sky dish would be
>> good. Ideally I'd be able to throw a couple of LNBs on it.
>>
>> I'm also in the market for a LNB...
>>
>> The other thing I need to consider is throwing up a UHF aerial. I have
>> no direct line of sight to any transmitters, there are hills between me
>> and any nearby ones.
>
> Best deals I found for sat dishes was on trademe.
> Get a satellite meter too - they're cheap and you can't do it without.
> Also be aware some DVB-S cards only power the LNB when recording or
> active. That had me puzzled for a while.

Commercially I'd recommend freeviewshop.co.nz as Lars always provides
excellent advice and customer service.

If you can go large (approx 1m) you can get BBC World off Intelsat 5 even
though it is C-Band. I need to try and get my Toroidal adjusted so I can
pick it up.

Also consider DVB-S2 cards as you might get some more OZ services.

Steve
Re: Satellite dish suppliers? [ In reply to ]
I have a 3.5m Andrews solid-spun Al dish that's begging for a new
home....
An abandoned project, it has the actuator ram, controller, c-band LNB,
Ku band LNB (both good quality) and all the paraphernalia for the post
mount. We had it on our roof for a while - amazing out-of footprint
reception), but it's all taken down now. It's kinda getting in the way
now as it blocks the entrance to the boat-shed (giggle).
Feel free to email me if you know someone who would be interested in
pursuing "satellite DX" .

Re: Satellite dish suppliers? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 11:02 +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
> Commercially I'd recommend freeviewshop.co.nz as Lars always provides
> excellent advice and customer service.

Cool. I'll have a snuffle on TradeMe (wow, lots!), but also look at
freeviewshop.co.nz, they seem to be reasonably priced.

> If you can go large (approx 1m) you can get BBC World off Intelsat 5 even
> though it is C-Band. I need to try and get my Toroidal adjusted so I can
> pick it up.

The dish will be attached to a landscaping fence about 4.5m from the
house and below it, so I can go reasonably large. :)

Hmmm, freeviewshop.co.nz only go up to 1m.

> Also consider DVB-S2 cards as you might get some more OZ services.

Heh, more expense. :) I'm probably going to put two LNBs on anyhow for
Optus D1 & D2 in anycase, so I'll want another card for the server...

Cheers!