Mailing List Archive

DVB-T splitter/amplifier recommendations
Hi all,

I am in need of a splitter/amplifier for my ariel so that I can plug
both my htpc and tv in. I also wouldn't mind something with a built in
amplifier.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Re: DVB-T splitter/amplifier recommendations [ In reply to ]
I went to Dick Smith (probably not the cheapest) and bought a passive steel
body 3-way splitter and some plain screw-on F connectors to go with it. All
my wiring is already RG6.
I was tempted to buy an amplifier, but found that just getting wiring sorted
picked me up another 5-10% signal strength as measured in "Watch TV".
Your TV may not care if the signal is a bit weaker, in my experience your
tuner card will probably be more sensitive to signal strength/quality loss.

Re: DVB-T splitter/amplifier recommendations [ In reply to ]
Start with http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/satellite-terrestrial-splitter-p-55.html

get some RG-6 and a few F type connectors (avoid screw type if you can
get your hands on a suitable tool for hex or (preferably) radial or
compression crimp plugs, otherwise screw type will do), and a couple
of F-type to Belling Lee adaptors. I think you can also buy premade
F-type RG-6 leads.

Add an amplifier if you have trouble, but an amplifier will only ever
compensate for gain structure issues (eg cable from antenna too long,
too many splits, signal from antenna present but below reception
threshold)... Adding one where it's not needed will only ever cause
problems. Make sure your antenna setup is appropriate too

Re: DVB-T splitter/amplifier recommendations [ In reply to ]
Good to know, we live in an apartment so don't have much control of
the arial setup, from what you have said an amp may improve the
situation.

Thanks guys, I'll post back with results.

Mark

Re: DVB-T splitter/amplifier recommendations [ In reply to ]
> Good to know, we live in an apartment so don't have much control of
> the arial setup, from what you have said an amp may improve the
> situation.
>
> Thanks guys, I'll post back with results.
>
> Mark
>

>> Add an amplifier if you have trouble, but an amplifier will only ever
>> compensate for gain structure issues (eg cable from antenna too long,
>> too many splits, signal from antenna present but below reception
>> threshold)... Adding one where it's not needed will only ever cause
>> problems. Make sure your antenna setup is appropriate too
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Mark Catley <mark@catley.net.nz>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am in need of a splitter/amplifier for my ariel so that I can plug
>>> both my htpc and tv in. I also wouldn't mind something with a built
>>> in
>>> amplifier.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Mark

Mark
Big generalizations about PC TV tuners:
- are poor quality receivers
- have problems with amplifiers (Rx has bad selectivity & gain
compression)

Installing antenna amp can cause RF front end overload from other possible
strong signals like FM radio etc.
Good installers use tuned RF filters/traps etc for these problems.

Try to amplify at source not destination i.e. 1. high gain antenna, 2.
masthead amp, 3. low loss cable.
First I would check if the apartment has an active splitter from the one
common high gain roof antenna. This would be a sensible building layout for
common antenna.
Could try amplifier but with lowest gain setting i.e. 6dB this will help
offset the loss from splitter.
May not even need active splitter/amp !!

Brett