Mailing List Archive

Hardy updates breaks schedule
We are currently trying to figure out why the recording schedule broke
on our recently updated (Wednesday) mythbox. Its been running hardy
heron for about 3 weeks without problem but glitched since running
updates, which contained kernel and mythtv updates (trying to find what
updates were applied...)

TV watching live is ok, and pressing the record button saves the
program. The scheduled records don't happen, and attempting to set a
new recording just gets ignored, the programs status does not change in
the guide.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Barry

BC Systems
http://www.bcsystems.co.nz

18 Shaw Street
Mosgiel
mailto:barryc@bcsystems.co.nz
ph 03 4893915
mob 027 2219338

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
Further to this:
mythuser@media:~$ mythtv-status
Unable to find any value for drive_total_total while looking at Total
Disk Space
Unable to find any value for drive_total_used while looking at Total
Disk Space
Something is wrong calculating the disk space percentage.

MythTV status for localhost
===========================
Status...........: Mon Jun 30 2008, 11:36 AM
Total Disk Space.: Total space is __drive_total_total__ MB, with
__drive_total_used__ MB used (unknown)
Next Recording In: Never

Encoders:
media (1) - Idle
media (3) - Idle
media (5) - Idle

I had problems with the drive showing 100% full, when I had just deleted
9Gb of rubbish. I followed up on Saturday morning with a

tune2fs -m1 /dev/sdb1
which brought the free space up to:
/dev/sdb1 294G 281G 7.4G 98% /var/lib/mythtv

which while it doesn't make good maths, is a whole lot better than no
free space. e2fsck -c has come back clean and I'm still looking for a
hint of whats wrong.

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
I hope nobody minds me posting my own replies, Further evidence in the
following of the /var/log/apt/term.log

Setting up mythtv-database (0.21.0+fixes16838-0ubuntu3.1) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
debconf: (Unable to load Gnome -- is libgnome2-perl installed?)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (Dialog frontend will not work on a dumb terminal, an emacs
shell buffer, or without a controlling terminal.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld
...done.
Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user
'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
Failed to create database (incorrect admin username/password?)
It's also possible that mysql-server wasn't running. After install
is completed, you will need to make sure mysql-server is running
and that you supplied correct information. Try:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database

We did the following
dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
then :
dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-backend
dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-fronted
'et voila'
Looking back, this seems quite obvious and easy but needed hunting the
logs to find out. Anyway, FIXED! (1 1/2 hours)

Barry

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
This does seem to support the first rule of mythtv maintenance:

"Do not mess with a system that is running well"

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
Touché :-S

Especially one the wife depends upon. Need a "messing around" / test
box I guess.

"Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's
is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> This does seem to support the first rule of mythtv maintenance:
>
> "Do not mess with a system that is running well"

... which is good advice, but updates come down from Ubuntu almost every
day. What's a security conscious guy gonna do?

Barry are you sure it was the update that stopped the database running? What
would you do differently next time? (And I doubt anybody minds you posting
your own replies; I for one have been following you intently, being about to
run an upgrade.)

- David
Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM, David Lowe <david@thistledown.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This does seem to support the first rule of mythtv maintenance:
>>
>> "Do not mess with a system that is running well"
>>

> ... which is good advice, but updates come down from Ubuntu almost every
> day. What's a security conscious guy gonna do?

To that I would say, what security threats are you exposing your
mythbox to? It should be well hidden from the net behind a firewall (I
have been known to want access to mythweb from work and I go through a
rigmarole of opening a port in my firewall remotely, accessing
mythweb, then closing the hole).

> Barry are you sure it was the update that stopped the database running? What
> would you do differently next time? (And I doubt anybody minds you posting
> your own replies; I for one have been following you intently, being about to
> run an upgrade.)

I am still confused about whether Barry did have a full filesystem,
which could have been caused by the update files piling up in
/var/cache/apt/ (is that the right path? its close). Anyway I guess if
the system ran out of space during an update something untoward might
have happened. Like the --reconfigure part not running. Which would be
why it started working after you ceared some disk space and ran it
manually.

Just conjecture and semi-educated guesswork here.

Rule 2 of myth maintenance: "get more hard drive space yesterday."

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
I can't even install it - depends on debs that aren't available.
mythtv-status: Depends: libmime-tools-perl but it is not installable

Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
Nick Rout wrote:
> It should be well hidden from the net behind a firewall (I
> have been known to want access to mythweb from work and I go through a
> rigmarole of opening a port in my firewall remotely, accessing
> mythweb, then closing the hole).

Agreed - for most people I'd suggest some combination of VPN and/or host
restrictions in http server.

Nick - you could lock down the mythweb install with Allow from
somewhat like this stanza, but other users at your work could still have
access... may need to turn on authentication too if that's an issue.

<Directory "/var/www/webalizer">
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Allow from .criggie.dyndns.org 10.28.
Allow from .clug.org.nz 192.168. .clug.net.nz 127.
Deny from all
</Directory>

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
Might just run the upgrade in a terminal next time, in case there was a
question being posed by the package. We are using xfce as a front end
desktop, the logs complained of libgnome2-perl not being present. The
update manage has a gtk (dialog box) method of interacting with the user
and I know I left it unattended, my 15yr old son was nearby but says he
never saw anything.
I recall responding to the samba questions and kept my current config
but nothing else.

So two options, make sure libgnome2-perl is present or do
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

from terminal.

Security wise, I'd suspect for most people their mythbox is not the main
computer in the house, so it shouldn't have an interface present to the
world. If you're not sure start asking questions here about how your
network should be setup. With our linux-only home (ok, sons machine
gets a windows game session on a frequent basis) we have one firewall
computer, the rest of the network is behind it. So if this is your case
also, I think one can tread a little more lightly as to security issues
in the mythtv front, I believe you can more safely delay updates if
you're doing them "Just to make my system more safe from intruders".

Hope that helps.
Barry

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
Hi Barry,

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 11:50 +1200, Barry Clearwater wrote:
> Further to this:
> mythuser@media:~$ mythtv-status
> Unable to find any value for drive_total_total while looking at Total
> Disk Space
> Unable to find any value for drive_total_used while looking at Total
> Disk Space
> Something is wrong calculating the disk space percentage.
>
> MythTV status for localhost
> ===========================
> Status...........: Mon Jun 30 2008, 11:36 AM
> Total Disk Space.: Total space is __drive_total_total__ MB, with
> __drive_total_used__ MB used (unknown)

Is this a secondary backend? It turns out that the disk space
information is only present if you query the master backend...

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz | This space intentionally
Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
G'day,

Yeah, this is because I've updated the package dependencies of
mythtv-status for Debian Lenny and accidentally uploaded it for Etch.
I've just created a package that has a dependency that works for Etch
and Ubuntu.

Please try installing it now.

Cheers!

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
That's fixed that package dependency, however there's still a config problem.

thionite:~# mythtv-status
Sorry, failed to fetch http://localhost:6544/xml.

even though it was told to look for a server called mythbox at config time.

Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
Andrew, thanks for the reply - its the master backend. I like your
work, the status stuff is quite cool.

Incidentally, after reconfiguring the mythtv-database and the
mythtv-frontend, all is happy and the output of mythtv-status was...

MythTV status for localhost
===========================
Status..........: Mon Jun 30 2008, 12:14 PM
Total Disk Space: Total space is 300,452 MB, with 292,932 MB used
(97.5%)

Encoders:
media (1) - Recording
media (3) - Idle
media (5) - Idle

Recording Now:
ONE News At Midday (TV ONE) Ends: 12:30:00

Scheduled Recordings:
2008-06-30 16:00:00 - Sticky TV (TV3)
2008-06-30 20:30:00 - Bones (TV3)
2008-07-01 16:00:00 - Sticky TV (TV3)

I'm still not entirely clear as to what broke. Was it the order of the
dependencies?
would the output of my term.log from the /var/log/apt/ folder be of any
use?
Barry

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 15:49 +1200, Criggie wrote:
> That's fixed that package dependency, however there's still a config problem.
>
> thionite:~# mythtv-status
> Sorry, failed to fetch http://localhost:6544/xml.
>
> even though it was told to look for a server called mythbox at config time.

err <cough> yeah, that's because the question you were asked is only for
the motd update and email cronjob. If you run it from the commandline
you need to give the host to query:

mythtv-status -h mythbox

Plans are a foot to fix that, but I don't have time at the moment. :)

Cheers!

Re: Hardy updates breaks schedule [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 19:47 +1200, Barry Clearwater wrote:
> Andrew, thanks for the reply - its the master backend. I like your
> work, the status stuff is quite cool.

Not a problem, and its good to hear I have another happy user. :)

> Incidentally, after reconfiguring the mythtv-database and the
> mythtv-frontend, all is happy and the output of mythtv-status was...

Right, so the problem was that the database wasn't working so that one
of the modules I use couldn't instantiate itself correctly. That's a
relief!

[snip]
> I'm still not entirely clear as to what broke. Was it the order of the
> dependencies?
> would the output of my term.log from the /var/log/apt/ folder be of any
> use?

Heh, I didn't know about that file! Yes, it probably would be uesful.

Cheers!