Mailing List Archive

NEW ATSC/HDTV card for MythTV
I appoligize if this post seems redundant, but I wasn't sure how many people in
ATSC land would read the DVB Patch 3.0 post..

I have just finished up writing drivers for the Air2PC-ATSC card and submited
them to linux-dvb for inclusion in the dvb-kernel. I also have added some
better support for ATSC in the DVB patch, since I now have some decent ATSC
feeds coming in to test with. I have added support for channel scanning, and
am at properly parsing the EIT now.. I am hoping to finish refactoring some
critical parts of the SI (PSIP as well) parser, and put out another patch with
much improved support for ATSC and DVB cards using the linux-dvb driverset..

The only place that I am aware of that sells these cards currently is
www.cyberestore.com if anyone is intrested in getting one. I only have one, so
I cannot tell how it will do with 100% certaintity how it will do recording 3
shows, and watching another. In my brief tests I was able to record Jay Leno
in HD (80 megabit stream) and watch it using the same machine. Recording took
about 10% cpu, and the hard drive barely seemed phased streaming that to the
hard drive. I also was only using an AMD 1800+ CPU. The BBTI card has
hardware filtering and also a 4th gen tuner/demodulator so it should take
consideribly less load on the backend than the pchdtv, and give better
reception.

I am really excited about having another option for HD recording in linux before
the drop dead date for the broadcast flag hits next year.

Taylor
Re: NEW ATSC/HDTV card for MythTV [ In reply to ]
I went to that site.

Is this the card? ATSC/8VSB HDTV PCI Card

The card says linux support, is this the driver you wrote? What do
you think about the card. Is it stable?

Alan

Re: NEW ATSC/HDTV card for MythTV [ In reply to ]
> Is this the card? ATSC/8VSB HDTV PCI Card

Yes

> The card says linux support, is this the driver you wrote? What do
> you think about the card. Is it stable?

The driver that I wrote was only for the frontend (tuner/demodulator). There is
almost nothing that could make a driver of this simplicity be unstable.. It's
either going to work or not work.. The card is the same as the SkyStar2 lines
of satellites cards with a differnet tuner/demodulator.. You can do your own
independent research if you would like, but the Skystar2 is a very highly rated
product for DVB-S reception.. Like I said that card uses hardware filtering of
pids (as opposed to the raw TS sent from the PCHDTV), so the ammount of
processing required by the computer is significantly lower..

Taylor

Re: NEW ATSC/HDTV card for MythTV [ In reply to ]
Taylor Jacob wrote:

>I appoligize if this post seems redundant, but I wasn't sure how many people in
>ATSC land would read the DVB Patch 3.0 post..

FedEx supposedly dropped one of these cards at my house this morning and
I can't wait to try and see what your current code is able to do with
ATSC broadcasts in the US. Is there a starter page for installing the
linux-dvb code and mythTV? Do you think I have to remove my HD2000 card?

Thanks,

Angel

Re: NEW ATSC/HDTV card for MythTV [ In reply to ]
> FedEx supposedly dropped one of these cards at my house this morning and
> I can't wait to try and see what your current code is able to do with
> ATSC broadcasts in the US. Is there a starter page for installing the
> linux-dvb code and mythTV? Do you think I have to remove my HD2000 card?

The drivers just got into linux-dvb today so you need to follow the dvb-kernel
howtos.. There should be plenty of instructions on the linuxtv website or
related websites..

As far as the ATSC code dvb patch 3.1 should get you started and there are
directions in there..

There should be no reason to remove the HD2000 card..

Taylor

Re: NEW ATSC/HDTV card for MythTV [ In reply to ]
Very excited to hear this. I never really got my HD2K playing nice
in my system with the other cards like I wanted. Generally
disappointed with it.

Angel, if you get positive results, please make sure to post. I'd
like to purchase one as well if you get things going.

Thanks.