I can offer coding, a decent amount of hardware and software testing,
Internet resources, and lots and lots of time due to a recent layoff. ;-)

What's a good area to start working on?
Re: how can I help? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 17 February 2003 06:06 pm, Andy Davidoff wrote:

> I'm a network-engineer-turned-programmer-turned-DBA-turned-sysadmin, and
> I can offer coding, a decent amount of hardware and software testing,
> Internet resources, and lots and lots of time due to a recent layoff. ;-)
>
> What's a good area to start working on?

Code-base is C++, with persistence in SQL (mysql, most settings) and
flatfiles (recorded content). Takes a while to find your way around the code
(well ... it's still taking *me* a while).

If you know anything about video codecs (or want to learn), I think
re-encoding algorithms are still a hot point. Myth has its own codec for real
time encoding/decoding (e.g. live tv). The ability to efficiently re-encode
the resulting files for use as VCD/SVCD/DVD content (i.e. mpeg 2, 4, etc.) as
a background process and then burn from the front end has been requested many
times. Isaac may well have this 3/4's solved already, but the more people who
can understand the core video stuff the better.

Other than that, look around, find something that doesn't work well, and fix
it.

- thor
Re: how can I help? [ In reply to ]
#if thor /* Feb 17, 20:07 */
> Myth has its own codec for real time encoding/decoding (e.g. live tv).
> The ability to efficiently re-encode the resulting files for use as
> VCD/SVCD/DVD content (i.e. mpeg 2, 4, etc.) as a background process and
> then burn from the front end has been requested many times. Isaac may
> well have this 3/4's solved already, but the more people who can
> understand the core video stuff the better.
#endif /* mythtv@lamedomainname.com */

Yes, from what I can tell this is one of the major requests. I am personally
very interested in burning on the front-end. I don't have any experience with
video codecs, but as I understand it we should be able to use the patched
mplayer to transcode and burn, so this feature seems virtually implemented.

Is there an existing dependency on a HL scripting language? Frankly, I
stopped coding C++ "for fun" years ago, so I'd rather do rapid prototyping
with Python or something and firm it up later with C++ as necessary.

Another thing that seems to be missing is a decent set of documentation or
database for the people just getting into Myth. It does seem as though the
project is large enough to benefit from its own document identifying the
supported hardware/software configurations and listing open issues. I've
seen this information in several places, but as a newbie it's still not
obvious which hardware is supported and with what limitations. Perhaps
Myth could piggy-back on the existing PVR "supported configs" site?

Who is managing documentation and what is the roadmap for it? Will there be
some documentation generated or otherwise tied to the code? From experience
I know that newbies can often contribute best to documenting the stuff that
developers take for granted, so I'd like to help there.

Thanks for these and future pointers...
RE: how can I help? [ In reply to ]
Re: how can I help? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 17 February 2003 09:20 pm, Andy Davidoff wrote:

> Is there an existing dependency on a HL scripting language? Frankly, I
> stopped coding C++ "for fun" years ago, so I'd rather do rapid prototyping
> with Python or something and firm it up later with C++ as necessary.

There's XML to specify menus and themes. That gets snarfed directly by C++
code. HL scripting is unlikely in anything core (too many wasted cycles when
CPU time is important).

> Another thing that seems to be missing is a decent set of documentation or
> database for the people just getting into Myth.

Every time I look at the documentation, I'm amazed at how up to date it is.
Robert Kulagowski has done an excellent job with what is usually a thankless
task.

Database of workable hardware would be nice, but a b*tch to manage as it
depends on user input and you only usually here about failures (not
successes). I think there's one started somewhere (?).

- thor
Re: how can I help? [ In reply to ]
I don't mean to suggest that the existing documentation isn't good. ;-)

It does seem to me that there is a considerable about of sage knowledge
in the mail archives that hasn't made it into the HOWTO. I'm talking
about little tweaks to the video/audio drivers and not just the many
hints about Myth itself.

Have you considered something like a Wiki, where others can quickly
contribute these tidbits so the (as was pointed out) thankless job is
made the responsibility of all developers?

I'll send you any FAQs I notice while reading the archives...

Thanks for your work thus far,

#if Robert Kulagowski /* Feb 17, 21:05 */

#endif /* rkulagowski@thrupoint.net */
RE: how can I help? [ In reply to ]