Mailing List Archive

NVidia Shield and 4K video
I have to admit defeat on this one. Everything I have tried results in
the image being doubled in width and height before being displayed, and
any image larger than 1920x1080 is cut off on the 3840x2160 screen.
Android and QT documentation are vague on the subject. The API
documentation has wording like "The size returned by this method does
not necessarily represent the actual raw size (native resolution) of the
display.
2. It may be scaled to provide compatibility with older applications
that were originally designed for smaller displays." Apparently it
thinks MythTV is an older application designed for smaller displays.

At this time is it somewhat academic, as I do not believe any TV
stations broadcast in 4K.

I can play a 4K video and its resolution is reduced to 1920x1080. The
same video plays with MythTV in its full 4K resolution on Linux with
vaapi and on Shield through Kodi. Android Kodi can use the full
resolution, I do not know what their secret is.

Kodi is not a QT application, the problem may lie in the interface
between QT and Android.

Peter

Re: NVidia Shield and 4K video [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 03:58:04PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I have to admit defeat on this one. Everything I have tried results in the
> image being doubled in width and height before being displayed, and any
> image larger than 1920x1080 is cut off on the 3840x2160 screen. Android and
> QT documentation are vague on the subject. The API documentation has wording
> like "The size returned by this method does not necessarily represent the
> actual raw size (native resolution) of the display.
> 2. It may be scaled to provide compatibility with older applications that
> were originally designed for smaller displays." Apparently it thinks MythTV
> is an older application designed for smaller displays.
>
> At this time is it somewhat academic, as I do not believe any TV stations
> broadcast in 4K.

I bet there are people who have 4k, bluray rips on their backend/NAS
and want to play them at full resolution.

> I can play a 4K video and its resolution is reduced to 1920x1080. The same
> video plays with MythTV in its full 4K resolution on Linux with vaapi and on
> Shield through Kodi. Android Kodi can use the full resolution, I do not know
> what their secret is.
>
> Kodi is not a QT application, the problem may lie in the interface between
> QT and Android.

I was directed to the Qt Interest Mailing List
(http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo/interest) today for help
with the resume takes too long problem. You might try posting there.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: NVidia Shield and 4K video [ In reply to ]
On 8/8/2018 7:20 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 03:58:04PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> I have to admit defeat on this one. Everything I have tried results in the
>> image being doubled in width and height before being displayed, and any
>> image larger than 1920x1080 is cut off on the 3840x2160 screen. Android and
>> QT documentation are vague on the subject. The API documentation has wording
>> like "The size returned by this method does not necessarily represent the
>> actual raw size (native resolution) of the display.
>> 2. It may be scaled to provide compatibility with older applications that
>> were originally designed for smaller displays." Apparently it thinks MythTV
>> is an older application designed for smaller displays.
>>
>> At this time is it somewhat academic, as I do not believe any TV stations
>> broadcast in 4K.
> I bet there are people who have 4k, bluray rips on their backend/NAS
> and want to play them at full resolution.
>
>> I can play a 4K video and its resolution is reduced to 1920x1080. The same
>> video plays with MythTV in its full 4K resolution on Linux with vaapi and on
>> Shield through Kodi. Android Kodi can use the full resolution, I do not know
>> what their secret is.
>>
>> Kodi is not a QT application, the problem may lie in the interface between
>> QT and Android.
> I was directed to the Qt Interest Mailing List
> (http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo/interest) today for help
> with the resume takes too long problem. You might try posting there.

I'm still looking at this but have struck issues with 5.11.1 build and
of course time. It must be possible.

Ive also noticed that my h96pro is restricted to 720p on a 4k screen
inside myth.
This may help me figure out whats happening.
This is why the mythui looks different.

Mark
Re: NVidia Shield and 4K video [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 15:58:04 -0400, you wrote:

>At this time is it somewhat academic, as I do not believe any TV
>stations broadcast in 4K.

In New Zealand, we have a test 4K broadcast station available in
Auckland now:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/105915227/no-need-to-wait-for-freetoair-4k-television-broadcasts-says-kordia

I am not in Auckland, so I can not test it, but there are MythTV users
there.
Re: NVidia Shield and 4K video [ In reply to ]
On 07/08/18 20:58, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I have to admit defeat on this one. Everything I have tried results in
> the image being doubled in width and height before being displayed, and
> any image larger than 1920x1080 is cut off on the 3840x2160 screen.
> Android and QT documentation are vague on the subject. The API
> documentation has wording like "The size returned by this method does
> not necessarily represent the actual raw size (native resolution) of the
> display.
> 2. It may be scaled to provide compatibility with older applications
> that were originally designed for smaller displays." Apparently it
> thinks MythTV is an older application designed for smaller displays.

Is this because we are using the older SDK/NDK's to build against?

From my extremely naive and n00b development experience for android,
would it not make sense that using the older SDK/NDK's would make
android think that it is an "older" application?

Regards
Stuart

Re: NVidia Shield and 4K video [ In reply to ]
On 08/09/2018 04:41 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 07/08/18 20:58, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> I have to admit defeat on this one. Everything I have tried results
>> in the image being doubled in width and height before being
>> displayed, and any image larger than 1920x1080 is cut off on the
>> 3840x2160 screen. Android and QT documentation are vague on the
>> subject. The API documentation has wording like "The size returned by
>> this method does not necessarily represent the actual raw size
>> (native resolution) of the display.
>> 2. It may be scaled to provide compatibility with older applications
>> that were originally designed for smaller displays." Apparently it
>> thinks MythTV is an older application designed for smaller displays.
>
> Is this because we are using the older SDK/NDK's to build against?
>
> From my extremely naive and n00b development experience for android,
> would it not make sense that using the older SDK/NDK's would make
> android think that it is an "older" application?
>

> Regards
> Stuart

That's an interesting idea. MythTV is definitely an older application
:). I really don't know whether that affects how the screen support
works. Perhaps Mark would know.

Peter
Re: NVidia Shield and 4K video [ In reply to ]
On 08/09/2018 05:11 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:44 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's an interesting idea. MythTV is definitely an older application
>> :). I really don't know whether that affects how the screen support
>> works. Perhaps Mark would know.
> As I recall (from a few years ago when the entire first
> 4K devices started to show up and everyone wanted
> to use them in Android) the only way to reliably detect
> UHD was using Display.Mode with API level 23+ and
> the getPhysicalWidth method. And then you have
> to render using SurfaceView surfaces. Whether your Qt
> version (and everything else) is compiled to that API
> level or greater I have no idea (as I have not really been
> following the discussion), and I also have no idea if
> the various libraries and rendering solutions will use
> those capabilities.
>
> Good luck.
We are using api level 21. I found that we do get the real physical
screen dimensions with the GetPhysicalWidth and GetPhysicalHeight, but
trying to use those values as the size of the GUI results in a hugely
enlarged view of the top left hand side of the GUI. We are not using
surfaces at this time, we are using OpenGL. I don't know if OpenGL uses
a surface under the covers.

Peter
Re: NVidia Shield and 4K video [ In reply to ]
On 10/08/18 08:23, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 08/09/2018 05:11 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:44 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That's an interesting idea. MythTV is definitely an older application
>>> :). I really don't know whether that affects how the screen support
>>> works. Perhaps Mark would know.
>> As I recall (from a few years ago when the entire first
>> 4K devices started to show up and everyone wanted
>> to use them in Android) the only way to reliably detect
>> UHD was using Display.Mode with API level 23+ and
>> the getPhysicalWidth method.  And then you have
>> to render using SurfaceView surfaces.  Whether your Qt
>> version (and everything else) is compiled to that API
>> level or greater I have no idea (as I have not really been
>> following the discussion), and I also have no idea if
>> the various libraries and rendering solutions will use
>> those capabilities.
>>
>> Good luck.
> We are using api level 21. I found that we do get the real physical
> screen dimensions with the GetPhysicalWidth and GetPhysicalHeight, but
> trying to use those values as the size of the GUI results in a hugely
> enlarged view of the top left hand side of the GUI. We are not using
> surfaces at this time, we are using OpenGL. I don't know if OpenGL
> uses a surface under the covers.

API Levels refer to the SDK, not the NDK.
But it may be useful to try a higher API version. I suspect it wont
actually do much.
I dont think Qt for android is plumbed to support 4k yet and we just
have to find the idiosyncrasies.
As for how GL is used/implemented, as well as whether surface uses the
GPU(s), IDK.

I think we have just missed something in the qt startup which happens
before mythfrontend main runs.

Im hoping 5.11.1 has some answers. Should know more after the weekend.

Mark