provides hardware decoding for mythfrontend on android systems including
android TV.

Peter

Re: Pushed android mediacodec support [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 03:34:05PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I have committed and pushed the android mediacodec changes. This provides
> hardware decoding for mythfrontend on android systems including android TV.

Yay! Congratulations and thanks, Peter.

For those of you who haven't been following along closely, Peter has
been doing the yeoman's work on the Android port lately. While there
is still more work to be done, it's good enough now that the Nvidia
Shield makes a pretty nice frontend. Good enough, even, that it's now
my main frontend.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Pushed android mediacodec support [ In reply to ]
On 07/29/2018 01:22 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 07/21/2018 12:34 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> I have committed and pushed the android mediacodec changes. This
>> provides hardware decoding for mythfrontend on android systems
>> including android TV.
>

> This is really great.   I am many others really appreciate the work
> you have done here.
>
> Are there plans to submit a package to the google store at some point
> or even provide a location for regular updates or is the expectation
> that people should compile their own?
>
> My instance which you gave me several weeks ago (20180620) has been
> running well enough that it is now my primary frontend.    I took out
> my NVidia based frontend and retired it.
>

> Michael

It is still a work in progress. I am thinking of putting the package on
a web site where it can be downloaded and installed. As far as google
play is concerned, there is some disagreement on how to handle different
versions, frontend has to be built for the same version as the backend.
If people are running different versions of the backend how will they
get the correct version of frontend if google play always supplies the
latest version?

Peter
Re: Pushed android mediacodec support [ In reply to ]
On 07/29/2018 04:04 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 07/29/2018 12:39 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> This is really great.   I am many others really appreciate the work
>>> you have done here.
>>>
>>> Are there plans to submit a package to the google store at some
>>> point or even provide a location for regular updates or is the
>>> expectation that people should compile their own?
>>>
>>> My instance which you gave me several weeks ago (20180620) has been
>>> running well enough that it is now my primary frontend. I took out
>>> my NVidia based frontend and retired it.
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>
>> It is still a work in progress. I am thinking of putting the package
>> on a web site where it can be downloaded and installed. As far as
>> google play is concerned, there is some disagreement on how to handle
>> different versions, frontend has to be built for the same version as
>> the backend. If people are running different versions of the backend
>> how will they get the correct version of frontend if google play
>> always supplies the latest version?
>>
>> Peter
>

> Yeah, the versioning issue is unfortunate.   Having a 0.29 package and
> a 0.30 package, etc all in the store would be a mess. Forcing people
> to update the backend just because of the frontend also is a mess.
> Its a shame the API isn't more transparent.
>

> Maybe at some point we just need a site where published versions could
> be hosted and available for download.

Try this link
https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_30/android_64/
You will see one package listed there, latest one I just built.
Full URL:
https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_30/android_64/:mythfrontend-20180729-arm64-v30-Pre-689-g0246b5747d8.apk
Supposedly you can just run a link on your android device and it can
download and install for you if you have allowed installs from
unauthorized locations. I don't know if or how that works. I can use
this bintray site for distributing the packages eventually.

> If you have a few version that you think is stable, I am happy to test
> and provide feedback, but i am also happy just running the version I
> have for the time being.

See above
> Do you know how well the original firetv (not stick) works as a
> frontend?   I have one of those sitting in the closet that I could
> play with too.  But if it isn't good, then I will just buy another
> shield for my bedroom tv.

I don't know. It would need a 32 bit package. It may have a version of
android that is too old. The Mythfrontend package needs android 4.2 or
later.

Re: Pushed android mediacodec support [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 05:28:59PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 07/29/2018 04:04 PM, Michael wrote:
> > Do you know how well the original firetv (not stick) works as a
> > frontend??? I have one of those sitting in the closet that I could play
> > with too.? But if it isn't good, then I will just buy another shield for
> > my bedroom tv.
> >
> I don't know. It would need a 32 bit package. It may have a version of
> android that is too old. The Mythfrontend package needs android 4.2 or
> later.

Peter, was this in response to direct reply to you. I never saw the
original.

Michael, I dug my old, first generation, Fire TV out of the closet.
Much to my amazement, it actually works fairly well with MythTV. The
UI is responsive. 720p playback is downright good. 1080i playback is
okay -- the deinterlacing is so so and there is some jitter that comes
and goes when viewing a news ticker. 4k doesn't seem to work at all
-- the device probably doesn't have enough RAM and can't output it
anyway.

All in all, the Fire Tv is a worhty competitor to the Amlogic S912
system with 32-bit Android(*) that I occasionally test on. In fact,
there's a good chance it will replace the S912 as my default, 32-bit,
test system.

(*)The chip is actually 64-bit, but the only current ROM that I know
of is a third-party one and is 32-bit.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Pushed android mediacodec support [ In reply to ]
On 07/31/2018 12:41 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 05:28:59PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> On 07/29/2018 04:04 PM, Michael wrote:
>>> Do you know how well the original firetv (not stick) works as a
>>> frontend?   I have one of those sitting in the closet that I could play
>>> with too.  But if it isn't good, then I will just buy another shield for
>>> my bedroom tv.
>>>
>> I don't know. It would need a 32 bit package. It may have a version of
>> android that is too old. The Mythfrontend package needs android 4.2 or
>> later.
> Peter, was this in response to direct reply to you. I never saw the
> original.
>
> Michael, I dug my old, first generation, Fire TV out of the closet.
> Much to my amazement, it actually works fairly well with MythTV. The
> UI is responsive. 720p playback is downright good. 1080i playback is
> okay -- the deinterlacing is so so and there is some jitter that comes
> and goes when viewing a news ticker. 4k doesn't seem to work at all
> -- the device probably doesn't have enough RAM and can't output it
> anyway.
>
> All in all, the Fire Tv is a worhty competitor to the Amlogic S912
> system with 32-bit Android(*) that I occasionally test on. In fact,
> there's a good chance it will replace the S912 as my default, 32-bit,
> test system.
>
> (*)The chip is actually 64-bit, but the only current ROM that I know
> of is a third-party one and is 32-bit.
>
> David
Michael

Please copy mythtv-dev@mythtv.org on your emails to me.

Peter
Re: Pushed android mediacodec support [ In reply to ]
On 07/30/2018 09:41 PM, David Engel wrote:

> Peter, was this in response to direct reply to you. I never saw the
> original.
>
> Michael, I dug my old, first generation, Fire TV out of the closet.
> Much to my amazement, it actually works fairly well with MythTV. The
> UI is responsive. 720p playback is downright good. 1080i playback is
> okay -- the deinterlacing is so so and there is some jitter that comes
> and goes when viewing a news ticker. 4k doesn't seem to work at all
> -- the device probably doesn't have enough RAM and can't output it
> anyway.
>
> All in all, the Fire Tv is a worhty competitor to the Amlogic S912
> system with 32-bit Android(*) that I occasionally test on. In fact,
> there's a good chance it will replace the S912 as my default, 32-bit,
> test system.
>
> (*)The chip is actually 64-bit, but the only current ROM that I know
> of is a third-party one and is 32-bit.
>
> David

That is awesome to hear.   I retired my FireTV and old myth HTPC for an
Nvidia Shield which has been working great thanks to Peter.   It would
be nice to leverage the FireTV for the TV in the bedroom which doesn't
get watched as much.

As a user and not a developer, I think it is amazing how much progress
has been made on making android frontends viable in the last few
months.   For me, this is the most excitement I have had for mythtv in
many years and I have been running it for a few days shy of 15 years.

Would you have a 32bit apk available I could try on the FireTV?

Michael

Re: Pushed android mediacodec support [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 11:35:07AM -0700, Michael wrote:
> On 07/30/2018 09:41 PM, David Engel wrote:
> >
> > Peter, was this in response to direct reply to you. I never saw the
> > original.
> >
> > Michael, I dug my old, first generation, Fire TV out of the closet.
> > Much to my amazement, it actually works fairly well with MythTV. The
> > UI is responsive. 720p playback is downright good. 1080i playback is
> > okay -- the deinterlacing is so so and there is some jitter that comes
> > and goes when viewing a news ticker. 4k doesn't seem to work at all
> > -- the device probably doesn't have enough RAM and can't output it
> > anyway.
> >
> > All in all, the Fire Tv is a worhty competitor to the Amlogic S912
> > system with 32-bit Android(*) that I occasionally test on. In fact,
> > there's a good chance it will replace the S912 as my default, 32-bit,
> > test system.
> >
> > (*)The chip is actually 64-bit, but the only current ROM that I know
> > of is a third-party one and is 32-bit.
> >
> > David
>

> That is awesome to hear.?? I retired my FireTV and old myth HTPC for an
> Nvidia Shield which has been working great thanks to Peter.?? It would be
> nice to leverage the FireTV for the TV in the bedroom which doesn't get
> watched as much.

As long as you don't need timestretch and aren't too discriminating on
deinterlacing, you'll probably be okay.

> As a user and not a developer, I think it is amazing how much progress has
> been made on making android frontends viable in the last few months.?? For
> me, this is the most excitement I have had for mythtv in many years and I
> have been running it for a few days shy of 15 years.
>

> Would you have a 32bit apk available I could try on the FireTV?

I'm building on now and will send you a link when it's ready.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net