https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60

Already on 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
fatal: bad revision
'https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60'

What incantation should I be using?

Thanks,

John P
rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
Hi: I've been trying to apply Gary's update of his package builder, but
haven't used git in a build process before and it isn't cooperating.
This gives the URL but doesn't work. I've tried others.

git checkout master; git cherry-pick -x
https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60

Already on 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
fatal: bad revision
'https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60'

What incantation should I be using?

Thanks,

John P
----------------
Some progress:

[john@HP_Fed mythtv]$ git remote add packaging
https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging
[john@HP_Fed mythtv]$ git fetch packaging
warning: no common commits
remote: Counting objects: 428, done.
remote: Total 428 (delta 6), reused 30 (delta 6), pack-reused 397
Receiving objects: 100% (428/428), 80.95 KiB | 746.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (262/262), done.
From https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging
* [new branch] master -> packaging/master
[john@HP_Fed mythtv]$ git cherry-pick
1a8f8c2fe99fcff6c096fd29011ca1599ea9583a
error: could not apply 1a8f8c2fe9... Remove some commented out code
hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
hint: with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>'
hint: and commit the result with 'git commit'

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 12:51 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi: I've been trying to apply Gary's update of his package builder, but
> haven't used git in a build process before and it isn't cooperating. This
> gives the URL but doesn't work. I've tried others.

What is your entire script that you are trying to use? If
you just clone the repo, I would expect it to work. It
would appear that you have something trying to wrap
the build wrapper (and mock a mockchain build?), and
I have this feeling this is going to cause you lots of
challenges.

Have you just tried pulling the packaging repo
and running it directly? Does it work?
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 12/05/18 15:40, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 12:51 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi: I've been trying to apply Gary's update of his package builder, but
>> haven't used git in a build process before and it isn't cooperating. This
>> gives the URL but doesn't work. I've tried others.
>
> What is your entire script that you are trying to use? If
> you just clone the repo, I would expect it to work. It
> would appear that you have something trying to wrap
> the build wrapper (and mock a mockchain build?), and
> I have this feeling this is going to cause you lots of
> challenges.
>
> Have you just tried pulling the packaging repo
> and running it directly? Does it work?

Hi Gary. Sorry, I'm just blundering around with this and don't want to
be a pain after provoking your update. I've applied Sergio's mockchain
patch, and ran the BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS script alone without grasping the
overall structure; that apparently downloaded stuff from git but the
tmp file was empty. Since then I've 'fetched' from packaging, but
clearly not correctly. I need to read more about using git...
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gary. Sorry, I'm just blundering around with this and don't want to be a
> pain after provoking your update. I've applied Sergio's mockchain patch

I have not looked at the most recent proposals
for the mockchain patch, but for EL7, that is
likely a path not worth going down, since
the issue is with the new capability to include
other mock configs, and EL does not use that
(only Fedora). Sorry to lead you down that path.
Just ignore that (for your use case).

And while checking things out, I noticed that
I used features in my scripts only available in
git released around 5 years ago (and EL lags
significantly (5 yrs? come on!)) so I made some
minor changes in my scripts to support the
old/obsolete git that EL7 provides. In addition,
I presumed dnf was available (but EL7 is limited
to yum), so I added in some code to test for that
condition. So pull the latest packaging repo code
to get my adjustments (I do not really consider them
as fixes, but tolerance of lack of RH progress).

So this is a (proposed, not fully tested)
set of instructions for building on EL7
for EL7:

--- Get some needed toolchains (this is the only
--- command you should need root for)

yum install git rpmdevtools mock yum-utils

--- you will need to add yourself to the
--- the mock group if you are not already
--- in it (and then refresh your group membership)

--- And one time if you have not already done so:

git clone https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging.git

--- Read the README in the packaging/MythTV/rpm directory

--- Repeat the following sequence as necessary for every rebuild
--- Typically the git pull will pull in nothing, but just in case
--- something does get updated.... You can specify specific
--- commits if you want to, but I typically just rebuild the
--- latest from a branch (fixes/29 in this case), or master
--- (depending on what I am targeting. The build (as you
--- know) takes a long time depending on the usual variables.

cd packaging/MythTV/rpm

git pull

./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r build_cfgs/centos-7-x86_64-rpmfusion_free.cfg fixes/29

--- Note that the EPEL/RPMFusion repos are sometimes
--- "interestingly" challenged as far as reachability. I
--- have seen the mirrors fail and timeout. Try the
--- build again if you get a build failure due to repo access.
--- I have sometimes had to retry the build half a dozen
--- times to get the mirrors to be accessible.
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 14/05/18 17:16, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary. Sorry, I'm just blundering around with this and don't want to be a
>> pain after provoking your update. I've applied Sergio's mockchain patch
>
> I have not looked at the most recent proposals
> for the mockchain patch, but for EL7, that is
> likely a path not worth going down, since
> the issue is with the new capability to include
> other mock configs, and EL does not use that
> (only Fedora). Sorry to lead you down that path.
> Just ignore that (for your use case).
>
> And while checking things out, I noticed that
> I used features in my scripts only available in
> git released around 5 years ago (and EL lags
> significantly (5 yrs? come on!)) so I made some
> minor changes in my scripts to support the
> old/obsolete git that EL7 provides. In addition,
> I presumed dnf was available (but EL7 is limited
> to yum), so I added in some code to test for that
> condition. So pull the latest packaging repo code
> to get my adjustments (I do not really consider them
> as fixes, but tolerance of lack of RH progress).
>
> So this is a (proposed, not fully tested)
> set of instructions for building on EL7
> for EL7:
>

> --- Get some needed toolchains (this is the only
> --- command you should need root for)
>
> yum install git rpmdevtools mock yum-utils
>
> --- you will need to add yourself to the
> --- the mock group if you are not already
> --- in it (and then refresh your group membership)
>

> --- And one time if you have not already done so:
>
> git clone https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging.git
>
> --- Read the README in the packaging/MythTV/rpm directory
>
> --- Repeat the following sequence as necessary for every rebuild
> --- Typically the git pull will pull in nothing, but just in case
> --- something does get updated.... You can specify specific
> --- commits if you want to, but I typically just rebuild the
> --- latest from a branch (fixes/29 in this case), or master
> --- (depending on what I am targeting. The build (as you
> --- know) takes a long time depending on the usual variables.
>
> cd packaging/MythTV/rpm
>
> git pull
>
> ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r build_cfgs/centos-7-x86_64-rpmfusion_free.cfg fixes/29
>
> --- Note that the EPEL/RPMFusion repos are sometimes
> --- "interestingly" challenged as far as reachability. I
> --- have seen the mirrors fail and timeout. Try the
> --- build again if you get a build failure due to repo access.
> --- I have sometimes had to retry the build half a dozen
> --- times to get the mirrors to be accessible.

Gary: Thanks again for this. I may not be able to give it much time in
the immediate future, but I hope it may help someone else too.

I've done all my builds so far in Fedora, so maybe the age of git for
el7 won't matter.

My el7 box seemed to be stuck on 7.4, as some other SL7 users have
found. Now updating is finding known errors for libexif2 and qt5. It
looks as if epel-testing will do the job re qt5. The version conflict
for libexiv2/exiv2-libs seems strange because the RPMF specfile mentions
only exiv2-devel anyway, and I doubt that I actually use it. I have the
mythtv metafile on the blamelist.

John

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 12/05/18 15:28, John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi:  I've been trying to apply Gary's update of his package builder, but
> haven't used git in a build process before and it isn't cooperating.
> This gives the URL but doesn't work.  I've tried others.
>
>  git checkout master; git cherry-pick -x
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60
>
> Already on 'master'
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
> fatal: bad revision
> 'https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60'

You have to add a new git remote
(ie. https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging)

then possibly a `git fetch --all` followed by the

`git cherry-pick -x 009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60`

It may be easier to download that commit as a patch file and use
the standard rpmbuild mechanisms to patch the source code.

It's also pretty easy to take it out again once it's not required.

Regards
Stuart