https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60

Already on 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
fatal: bad revision
'https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60'

What incantation should I be using?

Thanks,

John P
rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
Hi: I've been trying to apply Gary's update of his package builder, but
haven't used git in a build process before and it isn't cooperating.
This gives the URL but doesn't work. I've tried others.

git checkout master; git cherry-pick -x
https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60

Already on 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
fatal: bad revision
'https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60'

What incantation should I be using?

Thanks,

John P
----------------
Some progress:

[john@HP_Fed mythtv]$ git remote add packaging
https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging
[john@HP_Fed mythtv]$ git fetch packaging
warning: no common commits
remote: Counting objects: 428, done.
remote: Total 428 (delta 6), reused 30 (delta 6), pack-reused 397
Receiving objects: 100% (428/428), 80.95 KiB | 746.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (262/262), done.
From https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging
* [new branch] master -> packaging/master
[john@HP_Fed mythtv]$ git cherry-pick
1a8f8c2fe99fcff6c096fd29011ca1599ea9583a
error: could not apply 1a8f8c2fe9... Remove some commented out code
hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
hint: with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>'
hint: and commit the result with 'git commit'

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 12:51 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi: I've been trying to apply Gary's update of his package builder, but
> haven't used git in a build process before and it isn't cooperating. This
> gives the URL but doesn't work. I've tried others.

What is your entire script that you are trying to use? If
you just clone the repo, I would expect it to work. It
would appear that you have something trying to wrap
the build wrapper (and mock a mockchain build?), and
I have this feeling this is going to cause you lots of
challenges.

Have you just tried pulling the packaging repo
and running it directly? Does it work?
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 12/05/18 15:40, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 12:51 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi: I've been trying to apply Gary's update of his package builder, but
>> haven't used git in a build process before and it isn't cooperating. This
>> gives the URL but doesn't work. I've tried others.
>
> What is your entire script that you are trying to use? If
> you just clone the repo, I would expect it to work. It
> would appear that you have something trying to wrap
> the build wrapper (and mock a mockchain build?), and
> I have this feeling this is going to cause you lots of
> challenges.
>
> Have you just tried pulling the packaging repo
> and running it directly? Does it work?

Hi Gary. Sorry, I'm just blundering around with this and don't want to
be a pain after provoking your update. I've applied Sergio's mockchain
patch, and ran the BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS script alone without grasping the
overall structure; that apparently downloaded stuff from git but the
tmp file was empty. Since then I've 'fetched' from packaging, but
clearly not correctly. I need to read more about using git...
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gary. Sorry, I'm just blundering around with this and don't want to be a
> pain after provoking your update. I've applied Sergio's mockchain patch

I have not looked at the most recent proposals
for the mockchain patch, but for EL7, that is
likely a path not worth going down, since
the issue is with the new capability to include
other mock configs, and EL does not use that
(only Fedora). Sorry to lead you down that path.
Just ignore that (for your use case).

And while checking things out, I noticed that
I used features in my scripts only available in
git released around 5 years ago (and EL lags
significantly (5 yrs? come on!)) so I made some
minor changes in my scripts to support the
old/obsolete git that EL7 provides. In addition,
I presumed dnf was available (but EL7 is limited
to yum), so I added in some code to test for that
condition. So pull the latest packaging repo code
to get my adjustments (I do not really consider them
as fixes, but tolerance of lack of RH progress).

So this is a (proposed, not fully tested)
set of instructions for building on EL7
for EL7:

--- Get some needed toolchains (this is the only
--- command you should need root for)

yum install git rpmdevtools mock yum-utils

--- you will need to add yourself to the
--- the mock group if you are not already
--- in it (and then refresh your group membership)

--- And one time if you have not already done so:

git clone https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging.git

--- Read the README in the packaging/MythTV/rpm directory

--- Repeat the following sequence as necessary for every rebuild
--- Typically the git pull will pull in nothing, but just in case
--- something does get updated.... You can specify specific
--- commits if you want to, but I typically just rebuild the
--- latest from a branch (fixes/29 in this case), or master
--- (depending on what I am targeting. The build (as you
--- know) takes a long time depending on the usual variables.

cd packaging/MythTV/rpm

git pull

./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r build_cfgs/centos-7-x86_64-rpmfusion_free.cfg fixes/29

--- Note that the EPEL/RPMFusion repos are sometimes
--- "interestingly" challenged as far as reachability. I
--- have seen the mirrors fail and timeout. Try the
--- build again if you get a build failure due to repo access.
--- I have sometimes had to retry the build half a dozen
--- times to get the mirrors to be accessible.
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 14/05/18 17:16, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary. Sorry, I'm just blundering around with this and don't want to be a
>> pain after provoking your update. I've applied Sergio's mockchain patch
>
> I have not looked at the most recent proposals
> for the mockchain patch, but for EL7, that is
> likely a path not worth going down, since
> the issue is with the new capability to include
> other mock configs, and EL does not use that
> (only Fedora). Sorry to lead you down that path.
> Just ignore that (for your use case).
>
> And while checking things out, I noticed that
> I used features in my scripts only available in
> git released around 5 years ago (and EL lags
> significantly (5 yrs? come on!)) so I made some
> minor changes in my scripts to support the
> old/obsolete git that EL7 provides. In addition,
> I presumed dnf was available (but EL7 is limited
> to yum), so I added in some code to test for that
> condition. So pull the latest packaging repo code
> to get my adjustments (I do not really consider them
> as fixes, but tolerance of lack of RH progress).
>
> So this is a (proposed, not fully tested)
> set of instructions for building on EL7
> for EL7:
>

> --- Get some needed toolchains (this is the only
> --- command you should need root for)
>
> yum install git rpmdevtools mock yum-utils
>
> --- you will need to add yourself to the
> --- the mock group if you are not already
> --- in it (and then refresh your group membership)
>

> --- And one time if you have not already done so:
>
> git clone https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging.git
>
> --- Read the README in the packaging/MythTV/rpm directory
>
> --- Repeat the following sequence as necessary for every rebuild
> --- Typically the git pull will pull in nothing, but just in case
> --- something does get updated.... You can specify specific
> --- commits if you want to, but I typically just rebuild the
> --- latest from a branch (fixes/29 in this case), or master
> --- (depending on what I am targeting. The build (as you
> --- know) takes a long time depending on the usual variables.
>
> cd packaging/MythTV/rpm
>
> git pull
>
> ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r build_cfgs/centos-7-x86_64-rpmfusion_free.cfg fixes/29
>
> --- Note that the EPEL/RPMFusion repos are sometimes
> --- "interestingly" challenged as far as reachability. I
> --- have seen the mirrors fail and timeout. Try the
> --- build again if you get a build failure due to repo access.
> --- I have sometimes had to retry the build half a dozen
> --- times to get the mirrors to be accessible.

Gary: Thanks again for this. I may not be able to give it much time in
the immediate future, but I hope it may help someone else too.

I've done all my builds so far in Fedora, so maybe the age of git for
el7 won't matter.

My el7 box seemed to be stuck on 7.4, as some other SL7 users have
found. Now updating is finding known errors for libexif2 and qt5. It
looks as if epel-testing will do the job re qt5. The version conflict
for libexiv2/exiv2-libs seems strange because the RPMF specfile mentions
only exiv2-devel anyway, and I doubt that I actually use it. I have the
mythtv metafile on the blamelist.

John

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 12/05/18 15:28, John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi:  I've been trying to apply Gary's update of his package builder, but
> haven't used git in a build process before and it isn't cooperating.
> This gives the URL but doesn't work.  I've tried others.
>
>  git checkout master; git cherry-pick -x
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60
>
> Already on 'master'
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
> fatal: bad revision
> 'https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/commit/009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60'

You have to add a new git remote
(ie. https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging)

then possibly a `git fetch --all` followed by the

`git cherry-pick -x 009cbba58bc6f34d920de40bcfe7741712ccbb60`

It may be easier to download that commit as a patch file and use
the standard rpmbuild mechanisms to patch the source code.

It's also pretty easy to take it out again once it's not required.

Regards
Stuart
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 14/05/18 17:16, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary. Sorry, I'm just blundering around with this and don't want to be a
>> pain after provoking your update. I've applied Sergio's mockchain patch
>
> I have not looked at the most recent proposals
> for the mockchain patch, but for EL7, that is
> likely a path not worth going down, since
> the issue is with the new capability to include
> other mock configs, and EL does not use that
> (only Fedora). Sorry to lead you down that path.
> Just ignore that (for your use case).
>
> And while checking things out, I noticed that
> I used features in my scripts only available in
> git released around 5 years ago (and EL lags
> significantly (5 yrs? come on!)) so I made some
> minor changes in my scripts to support the
> old/obsolete git that EL7 provides. In addition,
> I presumed dnf was available (but EL7 is limited
> to yum), so I added in some code to test for that
> condition. So pull the latest packaging repo code
> to get my adjustments (I do not really consider them
> as fixes, but tolerance of lack of RH progress).
>
> So this is a (proposed, not fully tested)
> set of instructions for building on EL7
> for EL7:
>

> --- Get some needed toolchains (this is the only
> --- command you should need root for)
>
> yum install git rpmdevtools mock yum-utils
>
> --- you will need to add yourself to the
> --- the mock group if you are not already
> --- in it (and then refresh your group membership)
>

> --- And one time if you have not already done so:
>
> git clone https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging.git
>
> --- Read the README in the packaging/MythTV/rpm directory
>
> --- Repeat the following sequence as necessary for every rebuild
> --- Typically the git pull will pull in nothing, but just in case
> --- something does get updated.... You can specify specific
> --- commits if you want to, but I typically just rebuild the
> --- latest from a branch (fixes/29 in this case), or master
> --- (depending on what I am targeting. The build (as you
> --- know) takes a long time depending on the usual variables.
>
> cd packaging/MythTV/rpm
>

> git pull
>
> ./BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS -r build_cfgs/centos-7-x86_64-rpmfusion_free.cfg fixes/29
>
> --- Note that the EPEL/RPMFusion repos are sometimes
> --- "interestingly" challenged as far as reachability. I
> --- have seen the mirrors fail and timeout. Try the
> --- build again if you get a build failure due to repo access.
> --- I have sometimes had to retry the build half a dozen
> --- times to get the mirrors to be accessible.

I've just come back to this with the new ffmpeg4 master and my build
system upgraded to f27 - which overwrote the mythchain patch #65

After mending that I now have two SRPMS (mythtv and plugins, maybe
identical) and a new problem:

Start: buildsrpm
Start: rpmbuild -bs
Building target platforms: x86_64
Building for target x86_64
Wrote:
/builddir/build/SRPMS/mythtv-plugins-30.Pre.650.g9dee6dd8e7-100.src.rpm
Finish: rpmbuild -bs
Finish: buildsrpm
INFO: Done(/tmp/tmp.jiWL9oZt0i/SPECS/mythtv-plugins.spec)
Config(fedora-27-x86_64-rpmfusion_free) 0 minutes 46 seconds
INFO: Results and/or logs in: /tmp/tmp.DDQUrvUsgG
INFO: Cleaning up build root ('cleanup_on_success=True')
Start: clean chroot
Finish: clean chroot
Finish: run
starting logfile: None
results dir: /tmp/tmp.I7UUmOVKoi/results/fedora-27-x86_64-rpmfusion_free
config dir: /tmp/tmp.I7UUmOVKoi/configs/fedora-27-x86_64-rpmfusion_free
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/mockchain", line 419, in <module>
sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
File "/usr/bin/mockchain", line 301, in main
res, msg = add_local_repo(config_opts['config_file'],
my_mock_config, local_baseurl, 'local_build_repo')
File "/usr/bin/mockchain", line 145, in add_local_repo
exec(code)
File "/etc/mock/fedora-27-x86_64-rpmfusion_free.cfg", line 1, in <module>
include('/etc/mock/fedora-27-x86_64.cfg')
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'config_opts' is not defined
Unable to build rpm

Thanks, of course, for the instructions - and the scripts. I'm happy
running my current build at present, but a fix for this new buildsystem
would be great.

John

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]

Wrote:
[...]

Since I had an SRPM I put it into the usual mock rebuild:

Processing files: mythtv-mythffmpeg-30.Pre.650.g9dee6dd8e7-100.fc27.x86_64
error: File not found:
/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/mythtv-30.Pre.650.g9dee6dd8e7-100.fc27.x86_64/usr/bin/mythffserver
File listed twice:
/usr/lib/.build-id/27/3b351e2b91d470921465f85564a6a585cf0ab8
File listed twice:
/usr/lib/.build-id/28/199bf919db9065548efad72d278eabc564a9db
File listed twice:
/usr/lib/.build-id/3b/c9cfd20378ad7d630e66ba4569026e424d1e89
File listed twice:
/usr/lib/.build-id/48/9671cce2d9bb81322f959b06b799af0ba396af

RPM build errors:
File listed twice:
/usr/lib/.build-id/5e/754b695509fe4837523d61db1e5f909473aa75
File listed twice:
/usr/lib/.build-id/60/c65a37380d725c8dbfe247a442026f6c132b1d
File listed twice:
/usr/lib/.build-id/63/4b59ce8300490351a3feff13cabcbaf72ec92e
File listed twice:
/usr/lib/.build-id/63/f28c7ce66d3b1c46c2a734f159851ea53ba015
File not found:
/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/mythtv-30.Pre.650.g9dee6dd8e7-100.fc27.x86_64/usr/bin/mythffserver
ERROR: Exception(mythtv-30.Pre.650.g9dee6dd8e7-100.src.rpm)
Config(fedora-27-x86_64) 55 minutes 23 seconds

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]

Wrote:
[...]

------------------
I tried the same with the mythtv-plugins SRPM. It needs the matching
mythtv-devel and python-MythTV packages

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 05/31/2018 04:52 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>     File not found:
> /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/mythtv-30.Pre.650.g9dee6dd8e7-100.fc27.x86_64/usr/bin/mythffserver

They have removed the ffserver program from ffmpeg with version 4.0

See https://www.ffmpeg.org/ v4.0 release notes - "Removed the ffserver
program"

Peter
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 31/05/18 22:09, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 05/31/2018 04:52 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>     File not found:
>> /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/mythtv-30.Pre.650.g9dee6dd8e7-100.fc27.x86_64/usr/bin/mythffserver
>>

> They have removed the ffserver program from ffmpeg with version 4.0
>
> See https://www.ffmpeg.org/ v4.0 release notes - "Removed the ffserver
> program"
>
> Peter

Posts below accidentally sent off-list.

The first run of the git script had produced SOURCES and SPECS folders.
I copied SOURCES and edited the specfile, deleting the line for
ffserver, and ran my normal mock build. I now have a set of f27 rpms,
not including the plugins. I suppose git fork might be an appropriate
tool for this. I don't know yet how to approach the plugin build - but
I haven't been using them much recently.

---------------

Those packages are now installed and running. The old packages had been
installed from the build folder with 'dnf install *64.rpm *arch.rpm' but
'dnf remove...' didn't like the .rpm suffix, wanting the rpm -qa format
without it.

I think building mythtv-plugins expects the mythtv packages to be in a
local repo, which I once spent a lot of time trying to set up; mock
wants and can't see mythtv-devel and python-MythTV.

In fact the installed package is python2-MythTV

John

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]

Wrote:
[...]

Gary: As I have said elsewhere in this 'thread' I'm now running master
(without plugins) from rpms built from this point on outside your
script. I was not using your fix for the mockchain#65 'include'
problem, but the later post by Sergio. I suppose it might not do
exactly the same.

But in trying to understand what was required I came across the last
paragraph here, and wondered if it's relevant. It's for mock, not
mockchain.

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/wiki

> Using file:// URLs in configs
>
> Since version 1.4.1 you cannot use file:// in baseurl in Mock config's. If you want to use your local repo, you have to make it available inside of chroot using bind_mount plugin.

Cheers,

John

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
It seems that the 'fixes' for the mockchain#65 problem are not
equivalent. I applied Gary's version, and f27 rpms for mythtv and
mythtv-plugins v30pre650 have been built. They installed without
problems and the system is running now :-)

Cheers,

John

Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 8:52 AM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> But in trying to understand what was required I came across the last
> paragraph here, and wondered if it's relevant.

Not for the particular issue, which is that mockchain
does not handle the include directive as it processes
the chroot configuration. There are no doubt many
possible ways to address handling the include
directive. My proposed solution was simply to
(essentially) use the same approach that mock itself
was using (if it was good enough there, it was good
enough for me, at least until someone with true clue
can review the issue).

AFAIK, the only mock chroot configs that use the
include directive are those shipped by rpmfusion,
which, even though mock documents that the
include directive is supported (and it is in mock
itself, it is only mockchain that has the issue
with include), are less likely to get the upstream to
change the order of their ongoing work to look at
issue #65.

And, AFAIK (and I would not know), there is no
one with a formal support contract with any
enterprise Linux vendor that has pushed for a
fix of the mockchain bug such as reported in the
redhat bugzilla at:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1409923
(I did not check the other enterprise linux vendors
public bug reporting solutions).

Arguably, rpmfusion could bypass the issue for now
by releasing mock chroot configs that do not use
the include directive until upstream releases a fix.
Perhaps someone should open an issue in the
rpmfusion bugzilla (sometimes the available choices
are poor, and worse, and you need to choose poor).
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 12:22 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... They installed without problems and the system
> is running now :-)

It works for me, SHIPIT! ?????

Glad to hear you have a workaround (at least
for now).
Re: rpm build of master using mockchain. git help needed [ In reply to ]
On 03/06/18 17:01, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 12:22 PM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ... They installed without problems and the system
>> is running now :-)
>
> It works for me, SHIPIT! ?????
>
> Glad to hear you have a workaround (at least
> for now).

Well, with the recent change dropping ffserver it worked for me, in this
instance, just as you described. It took around 80 minutes of silent
churning, (2.6 GHz core2duo, 4GB ram) with atop showing previously
unheard-of processes and gradually consuming virtual memory, but it got
there in the end. As noted, I had done 'dnf remove' on all earlier
mythtv packages first.

Thanks!

One thing I did notice yesterday: I've often had two FE/BE boxes
running on the same network with no apparent interaction. Restarting
the FE on the other box seemed difficult with the new system running,
but both look ok now. I haven't investigated more.

John