_Alloc>::size_type) [..with _Tp = char; _Alloc = std::allocator<char>;
std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference = char&; std::vector<_Tp,
_Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]: Assertion '__builtin_expect(__n
< this->size(), true)' failed.
Handling Aborted
Aborted (core dumped)

Thanks
Sam
Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:03 AM, Sam Davis <sam.davis@outlook.com.au> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After upgrading my frontend from Fedora 27 to Fedora 28 when starting
> frontend it sits at "Please Wait" screen.
>
> running mythfrontend from terminal shows errors below.
>

> AudioPlayer: Enabling Audio
> /usr/include/c++/8/bits/stl_vector.h:932: std::vector<_Tp,
> _Alloc>::reference std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::operator[](std::vector<_Tp,
> _Alloc>::size_type) [..with _Tp = char; _Alloc = std::allocator<char>;
> std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference = char&; std::vector<_Tp,
> _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]: Assertion '__builtin_expect(__n
> < this->size(), true)' failed.
> Handling Aborted
> Aborted (core dumped)

Try applying the patches from tickets ##13264 (in particular)
and #13263 (for another case of equivalent aborts). This
seems to be a result gcc8 implementing the AddressSanitizer
with vectors (arguably the MythTV code is wrong, but it
happened to work previously).

Typically, if enough "works for me" reports are made on
the ticket (with no documented regressions), the devs with
commit privs are more likely to review, modify as needed,
and commit the fixes with appropriate attribution.
Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
ok thanks,

so how do I do this?

Sam
________________________________

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2018-05-07 at 00:16 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:03 AM, Sam Davis <sam.davis@outlook.com.au>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After upgrading my frontend from Fedora 27 to Fedora 28 when
> > starting
> > frontend it sits at "Please Wait" screen.
> >
> > running mythfrontend from terminal shows errors below.
> >

> > AudioPlayer: Enabling Audio
> > /usr/include/c++/8/bits/stl_vector.h:932: std::vector<_Tp,
> > _Alloc>::reference std::vector<_Tp,
> > _Alloc>::operator[](std::vector<_Tp,
> > _Alloc>::size_type) [..with _Tp = char; _Alloc =
> > std::allocator<char>;
> > std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference = char&; std::vector<_Tp,
> > _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]: Assertion
> > '__builtin_expect(__n
> > < this->size(), true)' failed.
> > Handling Aborted
> > Aborted (core dumped)
>
> Try applying the patches from tickets ##13264 (in particular)
> and #13263 (for another case of equivalent aborts). This
> seems to be a result gcc8 implementing the AddressSanitizer
> with vectors (arguably the MythTV code is wrong, but it
> happened to work previously).
>
> Typically, if enough "works for me" reports are made on
> the ticket (with no documented regressions), the devs with
> commit privs are more likely to review, modify as needed,
> and commit the fixes with appropriate attribution.

I'm just upgraded to Fedora 28 on my development machine, and am not
seeing any problems starting up the frontend or backend. I am
following this thread, and hope to get Gary's changes committed in the
next couple of days.

David

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
Ok, I normally receive mythtv updates via the rpmfusion repository so will I see an update soon or do I need to grab them from somewhere else?
________________________________

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On 07/05/18 01:44, David Hampton wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-05-07 at 00:16 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:03 AM, Sam Davis <sam.davis@outlook.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> After upgrading my frontend from Fedora 27 to Fedora 28 when
>>> starting
>>> frontend it sits at "Please Wait" screen.
>>>
>>> running mythfrontend from terminal shows errors below.
>>>

>>> AudioPlayer: Enabling Audio
>>> /usr/include/c++/8/bits/stl_vector.h:932: std::vector<_Tp,
>>> _Alloc>::reference std::vector<_Tp,
>>> _Alloc>::operator[](std::vector<_Tp,
>>> _Alloc>::size_type) [..with _Tp = char; _Alloc =
>>> std::allocator<char>;
>>> std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::reference = char&; std::vector<_Tp,
>>> _Alloc>::size_type = long unsigned int]: Assertion
>>> '__builtin_expect(__n
>>> < this->size(), true)' failed.
>>> Handling Aborted
>>> Aborted (core dumped)
>> Try applying the patches from tickets ##13264 (in particular)
>> and #13263 (for another case of equivalent aborts). This
>> seems to be a result gcc8 implementing the AddressSanitizer
>> with vectors (arguably the MythTV code is wrong, but it
>> happened to work previously).
>>
>> Typically, if enough "works for me" reports are made on
>> the ticket (with no documented regressions), the devs with
>> commit privs are more likely to review, modify as needed,
>> and commit the fixes with appropriate attribution.
> I'm just upgraded to Fedora 28 on my development machine, and am not
> seeing any problems starting up the frontend or backend. I am
> following this thread, and hope to get Gary's changes committed in the
> next couple of days.
>
> David

From the description it sounds like it's not starting the frontend that
is the problem but starting video playback.

I took a quick look at the patch and it seem safe to me.

Paul H.
Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On further investigation my backend is also broken....

Sent from my iPad

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2018-05-07 at 09:59 +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 07/05/18 01:44, David Hampton wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2018-05-07 at 00:16 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > > On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:03 AM, Sam Davis <sam.davis@outlook.com
> > > .au>

> > > Try applying the patches from tickets ##13264 (in particular)
> > > and #13263 (for another case of equivalent aborts). This
> > > seems to be a result gcc8 implementing the AddressSanitizer
> > > with vectors (arguably the MythTV code is wrong, but it
> > > happened to work previously).
> > >
> > > Typically, if enough "works for me" reports are made on
> > > the ticket (with no documented regressions), the devs with
> > > commit privs are more likely to review, modify as needed,
> > > and commit the fixes with appropriate attribution.
> >
> > I'm just upgraded to Fedora 28 on my development machine, and am
> > not
> > seeing any problems starting up the frontend or backend. I am
> > following this thread, and hope to get Gary's changes committed in
> > the
> > next couple of days.
> >
> > David
> >

> From the description it sounds like it's not starting the frontend
> that
> is the problem but starting video playback.

Agreed. I should have also said that I don't have any problem with
playback of live tv, recorded tv, or recorded videos. I was just
pointing out that its not all F28 installs that crash, but there's
something specific about the users systems that is causing the crashes.

> I took a quick look at the patch and it seem safe to me.

Agreed.

David

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:29 PM, David Hampton <mythtv@love2code.net> wrote:
> Agreed. I should have also said that I don't have any problem with
> playback of live tv, recorded tv, or recorded videos. I was just
> pointing out that its not all F28 installs that crash, but there's
> something specific about the users systems that is causing the crashes.

Yes, it is all going to be specifics.

The first patch (processing the transport stream program
descriptors) is going to be source stream specific (and
when, how, and if (from the transport stream) you get the
program info). I am not surprised that some OCUR
tuners (what i think was the first report), that are known
to adjust the program info in the stream, have the issue.

The second patch (in ResetReal) is going to be all
about timing and specific configurations. I would not
be surprised that the timing might be impacted on
choices such as combined and separate BE/FE
systems.

Arguably in both cases the mythtv code should be
defensive against referring to a non-existent element
in a vector (gcc is arguably helping one write better
code to avoid falling into a later trap).
Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2018-05-07 at 14:15 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:29 PM, David Hampton <mythtv@love2code.net>
> > Agreed. I should have also said that I don't have any problem with
> > playback of live tv, recorded tv, or recorded videos. I was just
> > pointing out that its not all F28 installs that crash, but there's
> > something specific about the users systems that is causing the
> > crashes.
>
> Yes, it is all going to be specifics.
>
> The first patch (processing the transport stream program
> descriptors) is going to be source stream specific (and
> when, how, and if (from the transport stream) you get the
> program info). I am not surprised that some OCUR
> tuners (what i think was the first report), that are known
> to adjust the program info in the stream, have the issue.
>
> The second patch (in ResetReal) is going to be all
> about timing and specific configurations. I would not
> be surprised that the timing might be impacted on
> choices such as combined and separate BE/FE
> systems.
>
> Arguably in both cases the mythtv code should be
> defensive against referring to a non-existent element
> in a vector (gcc is arguably helping one write better
> code to avoid falling into a later trap).

I agree completely. MythTV should be robust in the face of errors.
I've been trying to catch trac while its up to grab your patches. If
you would email them directly to me, I'll commit them tonight.

David

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
Is it also worth posting in user forums warning of upgrading to fedora 28 until fixes are in place?

________________________________

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Now that it appears that I have issues both with the backend and frontend systems (meaning the system is basically "stuffed") do we have any idea when fixes will be pushed through for these? The backend shows same type of error as frontend and looks like when a recording tries to start where it needs to assign a tuner. I am running separate backend and frontend and using 3xUSB (PlayTV) tuners. I am after some direction as to whether the problem is understood and being worked on or should I resort to a rebuild back to Fedora 27? If there are any diagnostics that you want me to do I am happy to help.

Thanks
Sam
________________________________

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 01:18 +0000, Sam Davis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Now that it appears that I have issues both with the backend and
> frontend systems (meaning the system is basically "stuffed") do we
> have any idea when fixes will be pushed through for these? The
> backend shows same type of error as frontend and looks like when a
> recording tries to start where it needs to assign a tuner. I am
> running separate backend and frontend and using 3xUSB (PlayTV)
> tuners. I am after some direction as to whether the problem is
> understood and being worked on or should I resort to a rebuild back
> to Fedora 27? If there are any diagnostics that you want me to do I
> am happy to help.

I just committed Gary's two patches to versions 0.28 and later. I
don't know how long it will take for those to be incorporated into the
rpms at rpmfusion.

David

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
Thanks David!
________________________________

Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On 09/05/18 03:11, David Hampton wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 01:18 +0000, Sam Davis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Now that it appears that I have issues both with the backend and
>> frontend systems (meaning the system is basically "stuffed") do we
>> have any idea when fixes will be pushed through for these? The
>> backend shows same type of error as frontend and looks like when a
>> recording tries to start where it needs to assign a tuner. I am
>> running separate backend and frontend and using 3xUSB (PlayTV)
>> tuners. I am after some direction as to whether the problem is
>> understood and being worked on or should I resort to a rebuild back
>> to Fedora 27? If there are any diagnostics that you want me to do I
>> am happy to help.
>
> I just committed Gary's two patches to versions 0.28 and later. I
> don't know how long it will take for those to be incorporated into the
> rpms at rpmfusion.
>
> David

I thought it looked as if the F28/gcc8 change might affect other systems
in F28 and asked about a temporary workaround on the Fedora-users list.
One other program has a BZ that looks related, but the only response has
been 'fix the source.'

At present I'm not able to build rpms for master (in F26, for my own
use), probably because of interaction with the ffmpeg refactor, but myth
29 would probably build OK

John P
Re: Myhthfrontend sitting at "Please Wait" [ In reply to ]
On 05/09/2018 11:55 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> At present I'm not able to build rpms for master (in F26, for my own
> use), probably because of interaction with the ffmpeg refactor, but
> myth 29 would probably build OK

Hi John

Please let me know if something in the configure refactor is causing a
problem, so that I can fix it.

Peter