Is it possible to extend this with small additional functionality:

Kodi has nice feature for browsing list of recordings: when user is on title with multiple episodes, right arrow on such title displays list of all episodes of this title.
This behavior is like virtually browsing directories tree where dir is title and within dir we have episodes.
This is IMHO very nice feature.

myth has already option to show all episodes of given title so implementing such functionality is just discover in PBB that selection is on title with multiple episodes and call „list recorded episodes” when right arrow is pressed.
When title hasn’t episodes - right arrow can show pop-up menu like today with Your enhancement.

IMHO such way of browsing with Your recent playback enhancement will make almost perfect solution!

What you think?

Re: Q regarding "GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys" [ In reply to ]
On 04/17/2018 11:28 AM, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Really nice work with „GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys"!
>
> Is it possible to extend this with small additional functionality:
>
> Kodi has nice feature for browsing list of recordings: when user is on title with multiple episodes, right arrow on such title displays list of all episodes of this title.
> This behavior is like virtually browsing directories tree where dir is title and within dir we have episodes.
> This is IMHO very nice feature.
>
> myth has already option to show all episodes of given title so implementing such functionality is just discover in PBB that selection is on title with multiple episodes and call „list recorded episodes” when right arrow is pressed.
> When title hasn’t episodes - right arrow can show pop-up menu like today with Your enhancement.
>
> IMHO such way of browsing with Your recent playback enhancement will make almost perfect solution!
>
> What you think?

Hi Piotr

I think you already mentioned this before. I am not sure how this would
work.

When I watch recordings I always select the program on the left and then
see the episodes on the right. In that case, all the episodes for the
program are already displayed.

Your change only makes sense if I have selected "All recordings" or
"Watch List" on the left. In that case do you propose it should change
the display to select that program on the left instead of "All
Recordings", as if I had gone to left arrow and selected the program
name there? They may lose their place in the original "all recordings"
list. Also apart from switching the list to the selected program it
would have to make sure the same episode is still selected.

A program may have episodes in other recording groups. They would not
display in this case.

What should it do if I already selected a program name on the left and I
press right arrow? I suppose it would do the same, which would not
change the list.

The right arrow pop up menu is not my enhancement, It is a change in the
theme to use the "triggerevent" that causes the Menu to come up on right
arrow. The MythCenter themes and most other themes have had this for a
long time. Steppes only added this recently. If you want something
different to happen we may have to persuade theme developers to change,
or maybe we override the action in the theme.

Having the right arrow do different things depending on whether there
are multiple episodes is not a good user experience. If the use is
expecting episodes and gets a menu or vice versa it will be irritating
for them.

Peter
Re: Q regarding "GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys" [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 17:28:09 +0200, you wrote:

>Peter,
>
>Really nice work with ?GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys"!
>
>Is it possible to extend this with small additional functionality:
>
>Kodi has nice feature for browsing list of recordings: when user is on title with multiple episodes, right arrow on such title displays list of all episodes of this title.
>This behavior is like virtually browsing directories tree where dir is title and within dir we have episodes.
>This is IMHO very nice feature.
>
>myth has already option to show all episodes of given title so implementing such functionality is just discover in PBB that selection is on title with multiple episodes and call ?list recorded episodes? when right arrow is pressed.
>When title hasn?t episodes - right arrow can show pop-up menu like today with Your enhancement.
>
>IMHO such way of browsing with Your recent playback enhancement will make almost perfect solution!
>
>What you think?

Have you found the menu item that does what you seem to want? From a
recording in All Programmes, M(enu) > List Recorded Episodes. That
takes you to the list of all episodes with that title. From any
episode in that list, M(enu) > List All Recordings takes you back to
where that episode is in the All Programmes list. Right arrow also
brings up the same menu.
Re: Q regarding "GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys" [ In reply to ]
On 04/17/2018 01:32 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 17:28:09 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Peter,
>>
>> Really nice work with „GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys"!
>>
>> Is it possible to extend this with small additional functionality:
>>
>> Kodi has nice feature for browsing list of recordings: when user is on title with multiple episodes, right arrow on such title displays list of all episodes of this title.
>> This behavior is like virtually browsing directories tree where dir is title and within dir we have episodes.
>> This is IMHO very nice feature.
>>
>> myth has already option to show all episodes of given title so implementing such functionality is just discover in PBB that selection is on title with multiple episodes and call „list recorded episodes” when right arrow is pressed.
>> When title hasn’t episodes - right arrow can show pop-up menu like today with Your enhancement.
>>
>> IMHO such way of browsing with Your recent playback enhancement will make almost perfect solution!
>>
>> What you think?
> Have you found the menu item that does what you seem to want? From a
> recording in All Programmes, M(enu) > List Recorded Episodes. That
> takes you to the list of all episodes with that title. From any
> episode in that list, M(enu) > List All Recordings takes you back to
> where that episode is in the All Programmes list. Right arrow also
> brings up the same menu.

Thank you Stephen for that information. I was not aware it was already
there.

Piotr - You can do this on your own with no program change -

Edit the recordings-ui.xml for your theme. For mythcenter or terra the
theme is in /usr/share/mythtv/themes, for downloaded themes it is in the
.mythtv directory.

In recordings-ui.xml, look for  <buttonlist name="recordings" ,
Look for the triggerevent line
<triggerevent context="Global" action="MENU">RIGHT</triggerevent>
change it to this
<triggerevent context="TV Frontend"
action="LISTRECORDEDEPISODES">RIGHT</triggerevent>
If there is no triggerevent, just add the line.
Then go into Setup, Edit keys and assign a key to LISTRECORDEDEPISODES
in the TV Frontend section. It does not matter what key you assign
there, but there has to be one or this will not work.

Now the right arrow will bring up the recorded episodes.

To preserve your theme change from being overwritten make a copy of the
theme in .mythtv/themes with a new name. Also edit the themeinfo.xml
file and put the new theme name in there. Now you should be able to
select the new theme name in the theme chooser.

Peter

Re: Q regarding "GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys" [ In reply to ]
Stephen, Peter

I’m using everyday M(enu) > List All Recordings for watching desired episode from list of recorded.
And I found requirement of multiple key-press of different keys just to find desired episode really unconvienient.

My proposal is to simplifying usage when You want to watch given episode: instead of multiple key presses user will need just _1_ press right arrow and voila.

IMHO single pressing right arrow to see list of episodes will be much more convenient than:

1.pressing M. You need to carry Your eyes on remote as this is different key than arrows (which are usually close to each other). Do it in dark room….
2.look on remote again to go back to arrows on remote
3.press multiple times arrow down to get selection on „List Recorded Episodes” menu entry
4.press Enter to get list of episodes

compare this with single press of right arrow

Pls look how it works in Kodi.

Despite I found kodi user experience MUCH less convenient for me - multiple episode browsing aspect is really nice!

just my 0.02$

Re: Q regarding "GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys" [ In reply to ]
Peter,
Pls see inline.

> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> w dniu 17.04.2018, o godz. 18:27:
>

> Hi Piotr
>
> I think you already mentioned this before. I am not sure how this would work.
>
> When I watch recordings I always select the program on the left and then see the episodes on the right. In that case, all the episodes for the program are already displayed.

Right. This is one possible way of selecting recording to watch.
This is with „View Recordings/Start in Group List” = ON I believe.
Unfortunately, in my case issue will be that left list is alphabetically sorted and huge.
I have 3k recordings in 4 watchers groups with few hundreds of titles per watcher. Scrolling to desired recording will be REALLY painful for me.

Thats why I have configured fe to display with focus on right recording list sorted by recording time. („View Recordings/Start in Group List” = OFF)
This is convenient for me as in 90% of cases we want to watch from most recent recordings (news, daily talkshows, etc).

So I think following:
Maybe we need to distinguish 2 cases (described below on MythCenter theme):

Case1: user selects „View Recordings/Start in Group List” = ON (Your case)

1.myth shows recordings with focus on left list
2.if selection is on „All recordings” or „Watch List” and user press right arrow, focus goes to right list (with shows listed by date).
a. Now - if user press right arrow on title having episodes - myth shows list of episodes. Pressing again right arrow on given episode shows recording options menu.
b. if user press right arrow on title not having episodes - myth shows recording options menu.
3.if selection is on any other than „All recordings” or „Watch List”, and user press right arrow, focus naturally goes to right list (with shows listed by date)
but now - if user press right arrow, myth always shows recording options menu.

Case2: user selects „View Recordings/Start in Group List” = OFF (my case)

1.myth shows recordings with focus on right list
2.If user press right arrow on title having episodes - myth shows list of episodes. Pressing again right arrow on given episode shows recording options menu.
3.If user press right arrow on title not having episodes - myth shows recording options menu.
4.if user press left arrow - myth start behave like in Case1.

I think this is consistent…

Re: Q regarding "GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys" [ In reply to ]
On 04/17/2018 03:49 PM, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> Peter,
> Pls see inline.
>
>> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Peter Bennett<pb.mythtv@gmail.com> w dniu 17.04.2018, o godz. 18:27:
>>

>> Hi Piotr
>>
>> I think you already mentioned this before. I am not sure how this would work.
>>
>> When I watch recordings I always select the program on the left and then see the episodes on the right. In that case, all the episodes for the program are already displayed.
> Right. This is one possible way of selecting recording to watch.
> This is with „View Recordings/Start in Group List” = ON I believe.
> Unfortunately, in my case issue will be that left list is alphabetically sorted and huge.
> I have 3k recordings in 4 watchers groups with few hundreds of titles per watcher. Scrolling to desired recording will be REALLY painful for me.
>
> Thats why I have configured fe to display with focus on right recording list sorted by recording time. („View Recordings/Start in Group List” = OFF)
> This is convenient for me as in 90% of cases we want to watch from most recent recordings (news, daily talkshows, etc).
>
> So I think following:
> Maybe we need to distinguish 2 cases (described below on MythCenter theme):
>
> Case1: user selects „View Recordings/Start in Group List” = ON (Your case)
>
> 1.myth shows recordings with focus on left list
> 2.if selection is on „All recordings” or „Watch List” and user press right arrow, focus goes to right list (with shows listed by date).
> a. Now - if user press right arrow on title having episodes - myth shows list of episodes. Pressing again right arrow on given episode shows recording options menu.
> b. if user press right arrow on title not having episodes - myth shows recording options menu.
> 3.if selection is on any other than „All recordings” or „Watch List”, and user press right arrow, focus naturally goes to right list (with shows listed by date)
> but now - if user press right arrow, myth always shows recording options menu.
>

> Case2: user selects „View Recordings/Start in Group List” = OFF (my case)
>
> 1.myth shows recordings with focus on right list
> 2.If user press right arrow on title having episodes - myth shows list of episodes. Pressing again right arrow on given episode shows recording options menu.
> 3.If user press right arrow on title not having episodes - myth shows recording options menu.
> 4.if user press left arrow - myth start behave like in Case1.
>

> I think this is consistent…

Did you try this? You can do this on your own with no program change:

Re: Q regarding "GUI: Enhance Playback to allow change of recording group with arrow keys" [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 12:27:46 -0400
Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Having the right arrow do different things depending on whether there
> are multiple episodes is not a good user experience. If the use is
> expecting episodes and gets a menu or vice versa it will be
> irritating for them.

I agree.

However LISTRECORDEDEPISODES doesn't work well with the watchlist.

I use https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12287 instead.

Bind SHOWNEXTGROUP to a key (or triggerevent) and it'll cycle around All
Progs/Watchlist/Unfinished/Episodes etc.