Mailing List Archive

Stuttering on live tv
Hi,

I recently upgraded from a very old version of mythtv ( both OS and
mythtv ) and now have a stutter only on play back of live tv.

When I play live tv, the playback is not smooth until I pause and then
un-pause the video.   From what I can tell the buffer is at 0% when this
happens, until I pause the frontend.  Thus allowing the backend to get
ahead of the playback.

As a test, I have added a 2s delay before the frontend starts play back
which completely resolves the issue (buffer at ~10%+).  I hooked it in
to the disable screensaver code (screensaver-x11.cpp),   I'm looking for
a "better" place to put the delay, as it only needs to be delayed on the
playback of livetv and not every time the screensaver is disabled.

Is there any setting I am missing that would eliminate the need to do
this?  Maybe a hidden tune-able somewhere?   If not, any suggestions on
the best place to insert a delay when starting just live TV?

Thanks,
Dennis
Re: Stuttering on live tv [ In reply to ]
On 05/04/18 22:39, Dennis Gustafson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded from a very old version of mythtv ( both OS and
> mythtv ) and now have a stutter only on play back of live tv.
>
> When I play live tv, the playback is not smooth until I pause and then
> un-pause the video.   From what I can tell the buffer is at 0% when this
> happens, until I pause the frontend.  Thus allowing the backend to get
> ahead of the playback.
>
> As a test, I have added a 2s delay before the frontend starts play back
> which completely resolves the issue (buffer at ~10%+).  I hooked it in
> to the disable screensaver code (screensaver-x11.cpp),   I'm looking for
> a "better" place to put the delay, as it only needs to be delayed on the
> playback of livetv and not every time the screensaver is disabled.
>
> Is there any setting I am missing that would eliminate the need to do
> this?  Maybe a hidden tune-able somewhere?   If not, any suggestions on
> the best place to insert a delay when starting just live TV?
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis

This was a lons-standing issue that was thought to be fixed here

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12318

Re: Stuttering on live tv [ In reply to ]
On 06/04/18 01:53, Dennis Gustafson wrote:
> Glad to see this is resolved!   I just built from 29/fixes this morning
> and it doesn't look like it has made it there yet.    Is 'master' stable
> enough for every day use, or would I be  better off pulling individual
> the fixes back?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Dennis
>

>> This was a lons-standing issue that was thought to be fixed here
>>
>> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12318

Hi Dennis,

The patch should apply fairly easily to fixes/29. Please give it a try
and report back on the ticket

Regards
Stuart

Re: Stuttering on live tv [ In reply to ]
On 04/06/2018 03:00 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 06/04/18 01:53, Dennis Gustafson wrote:
>> Glad to see this is resolved!   I just built from 29/fixes this
>> morning and it doesn't look like it has made it there yet.    Is
>> 'master' stable enough for every day use, or would I be  better off
>> pulling individual the fixes back?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Dennis
>>

>>> This was a lons-standing issue that was thought to be fixed here
>>>
>>> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12318
>>>

> Hi Dennis,
>
> The patch should apply fairly easily to fixes/29. Please give it a try
> and report back on the ticket

I ported the fix to 29 and it does help.  I also tried on "master" and
it behaves the same as my back-port.

The fix is definitely an improvement, but does not eliminate all
stuttering and the stuttering does become less the longer it plays.
Would it be possible to make the the amount that it pauses larger the
first time it occurs? I would prefer one big pause at first vs. multiple
glitches during playback.

Here is a sample of the output ( with audio/visual glitches occurring at
the same time ):

2018-04-08 13:52:01.852166 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 1.868, Total: 2.302
2018-04-08 13:52:02.030980 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 2.035, Total: 2.302
2018-04-08 13:52:02.184300 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 2.169, Total: 2.302
2018-04-08 13:52:05.429398 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 5.372, Total: 5.973
2018-04-08 13:52:10.744901 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 10.677, Total: 11.378
2018-04-08 13:52:14.244628 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 14.181, Total: 14.648
2018-04-08 13:52:41.304407 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 41.208, Total: 41.808
2018-04-08 13:55:23.234799 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 203.137, Total: 203.27
2018-04-08 13:55:29.511918 N  Player(1): Pause to allow live tv catch
up. Position in sec. Current: 209.376, Total: 210.143