Mailing List Archive

Android gdb woes
Trying to debug on Android.

I am using the gdb.sh script with an NVidia shield.

If I run ./gdb.sh on my linux machien, then it displays a bunch of
messages, and eventually gets to a (gdb) prompt. If I enter c
(continue), MythTV launches on the Shield and I can debug it by using
ctrl-c and using gdb commands.

However, sometimes, after entering c (continue), nothing happens. There
is a message on the shield screen that it is waiting for the debugger to
attach and a button that lets you cancel. It gets no further.

At first this happened about 1 time out of 4. I tried restarting the
shield and other things and eventually it would work again.

Now this happens every time. Restarting the shield does not help,
killing mythtv from adb does not help.

I can debug by starting MythTV from the shield and then connecting with
./gdb.sh. If I do that I get a bunch of SIG33 errors in gdb and messages
on the shield that the application has stopped responding. This is not
ideal.

Any idea what I can do to get this to work?

Peter

Re: Android gdb woes [ In reply to ]
On 3/7/2018 3:57 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Trying to debug on Android.
>
> I am using the gdb.sh script with an NVidia shield.
>
> If I run ./gdb.sh on my linux machien, then it displays a bunch of
> messages, and eventually gets to a (gdb) prompt. If I enter c
> (continue), MythTV launches on the Shield and I can debug it by using
> ctrl-c and using gdb commands.
>
> However, sometimes, after entering c (continue), nothing happens.
> There is a message on the shield screen that it is waiting for the
> debugger to attach and a button that lets you cancel. It gets no further.
>
> At first this happened about 1 time out of 4. I tried restarting the
> shield and other things and eventually it would work again.
>
> Now this happens every time. Restarting the shield does not help,
> killing mythtv from adb does not help.
>
> I can debug by starting MythTV from the shield and then connecting
> with ./gdb.sh. If I do that I get a bunch of SIG33 errors in gdb and
> messages on the shield that the application has stopped responding.
> This is not ideal.
>
> Any idea what I can do to get this to work?
If you have gdb start trouble, extend the startup timeout. need extra
opt in adb shell am start command (I think).

gdb.sh makes a copy of all so files in the so directory as the files on
the device dont have debug syms.

There are also 2 modes: adb and ip modes. Ive found IP works better but
maybe for you adb tunnel is better. try that. USE_IP=0

That said, the current script works well and every time for me. is there
something else with your environment that may be contributing? You
mentioned a personal .gdbinit. try moving it aside temp. I dont have one
of those.

make sure that you are using the 64 bit gdb (make.inc is correct).

USE_SU mode is no good for the shield unless you have rooted it.

Mark

Re: Android gdb woes [ In reply to ]
On 03/06/2018 04:23 PM, Mark Spieth wrote:
> On 3/7/2018 3:57 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Trying to debug on Android.
>>
>> I am using the gdb.sh script with an NVidia shield.
>>
>> If I run ./gdb.sh on my linux machien, then it displays a bunch of
>> messages, and eventually gets to a (gdb) prompt. If I enter c
>> (continue), MythTV launches on the Shield and I can debug it by using
>> ctrl-c and using gdb commands.
>>
>> However, sometimes, after entering c (continue), nothing happens.
>> There is a message on the shield screen that it is waiting for the
>> debugger to attach and a button that lets you cancel. It gets no
>> further.
>>
>> At first this happened about 1 time out of 4. I tried restarting the
>> shield and other things and eventually it would work again.
>>
>> Now this happens every time. Restarting the shield does not help,
>> killing mythtv from adb does not help.
>>
>> I can debug by starting MythTV from the shield and then connecting
>> with ./gdb.sh. If I do that I get a bunch of SIG33 errors in gdb and
>> messages on the shield that the application has stopped responding.
>> This is not ideal.
>>
>> Any idea what I can do to get this to work?
> If you have gdb start trouble, extend the startup timeout. need extra
> opt in adb shell am start command (I think).
>
> gdb.sh makes a copy of all so files in the so directory as the files
> on the device dont have debug syms.
>
> There are also 2 modes: adb and ip modes. Ive found IP works better
> but maybe for you adb tunnel is better. try that. USE_IP=0
>
> That said, the current script works well and every time for me. is
> there something else with your environment that may be contributing?
> You mentioned a personal .gdbinit. try moving it aside temp. I dont
> have one of those.
>
> make sure that you are using the 64 bit gdb (make.inc is correct).
>
> USE_SU mode is no good for the shield unless you have rooted it.
>
> Mark

I tried these but did not succeed. However, starting Mythfrontend from
the shield before running gdb.sh is now working perfectly. gdb attaches
to the already running process. I don't know what was causing the SIG33
errors but they have stopped happening, as has the message that the
application stopped responding.

Peter