Mailing List Archive

RFE
Hi devs!

I know this might not be the right list, but hope that
you still read it, please.

Here in Finland we have an absolute crazy way
the TV companies sets up the titles of the programs
as they will add the age limit in parenthesis at the end.
Like "Survivors (12)", "Paradise Hotel (16)"

And as the age limit can be different for different episodes
it gets really bad for the scheduling.

Say you watch something, find it interesting and press record
to catch the upcoming episodes.
Then if the next episode happens to have a different age rating
it will still not be recorded :-(

So could we get a way to tell Myth to disregard everything
in parentheses at the end of the title ?
Or perhaps even more generic:
Ability to add a regexp list that is always applied to the
recording rules?

I know I can set the rules as a SQL select and that is what I have been
doing., but this is quite messy to set up at the moment.

Thanks
Dag
Re: RFE [ In reply to ]
On 2018-02-04 11:10, Dag Nygren wrote:
> Hi devs!
>
> I know this might not be the right list, but hope that
> you still read it, please.
>
> Here in Finland we have an absolute crazy way
> the TV companies sets up the titles of the programs
> as they will add the age limit in parenthesis at the end.
> Like "Survivors (12)", "Paradise Hotel (16)"
>
> And as the age limit can be different for different episodes
> it gets really bad for the scheduling.
>
> Say you watch something, find it interesting and press record
> to catch the upcoming episodes.
> Then if the next episode happens to have a different age rating
> it will still not be recorded :-(
>
> So could we get a way to tell Myth to disregard everything
> in parentheses at the end of the title ?
> Or perhaps even more generic:
> Ability to add a regexp list that is always applied to the
> recording rules?
>
> I know I can set the rules as a SQL select and that is what I have been
> doing., but this is quite messy to set up at the moment.

where do you get the guide data from?
xmltv or eit?

if it is eit then it sounds like you need to write a custom eitfixup for your
provider.
as i remember it you have one function to cleanup the eit data and there is a
table that triggers the fixup when eit is collected on the correct network id
or similar.
(this is just from memory, was a while since i worked on eit fixups)

if you use eit then perhaps you should swap to xmltv as guide data?
it is generally of much better quality than eit.
there is a xmltv grabber for xmltv.se already built in to xmltv and i believe
that source of data covers a lot of scandinavian channels, not just swedish.
see: http://xmltv.xmltv.se/00index.html

Re: RFE [ In reply to ]
On s?ndag 4 februari 2018 kl. 12:35:57 EET Torbjorn Jansson wrote:
> On 2018-02-04 11:10, Dag Nygren wrote:

> > So could we get a way to tell Myth to disregard everything
> > in parentheses at the end of the title ?
> > Or perhaps even more generic:
> > Ability to add a regexp list that is always applied to the
> > recording rules?
> >
> > I know I can set the rules as a SQL select and that is what I have been
> > doing., but this is quite messy to set up at the moment.
>
> where do you get the guide data from?
> xmltv or eit?

This is EIT data.

> if it is eit then it sounds like you need to write a custom eitfixup for
> your provider.
> as i remember it you have one function to cleanup the eit data and there is
> a table that triggers the fixup when eit is collected on the correct
> network id or similar.
> (this is just from memory, was a while since i worked on eit fixups)

So there is a hook for it already! Neat! I will have a look
at that.

> if you use eit then perhaps you should swap to xmltv as guide data?
> it is generally of much better quality than eit.

I am using EIT and prefer it mainly because I haven't found a finnish XML
provider that gives me XML info in Swedish (my mother tongue)
but EIT in most cases is bilingual.

Many thanks for the tip on fixup. Pretty OK with programming
and I will definitely have a go at it.
Already have some ideas on the implementation :-)

Dag
Re: RFE [ In reply to ]
On 04/02/18 11:35, Torbjorn Jansson wrote:
> where do you get the guide data from?
> xmltv or eit?
>
> if it is eit...

If you're getting xmltv guide data already, and it is this data that
contains the unwanted age limits, then please take a look at tv_augment,
which is part of the xmltv package.

Tv_augment can apply rules (fixups) to guide data automatically. I have
not verified that it supports the specific use case called for here but
it would be a good place to start.
Re: RFE [ In reply to ]
On 04/02/18 10:35, Torbjorn Jansson wrote:

> On 2018-02-04 11:10, Dag Nygren wrote:
>> Hi devs!
>>
>> I know this might not be the right list, but hope that
>> you still read it, please.
>>
>> Here in Finland we have an absolute crazy way
>> the TV companies sets up the titles of the programs
>> as they will add the age limit in parenthesis at the end.
>> Like "Survivors (12)", "Paradise Hotel (16)"
>>
>> And as the age limit can be different for different episodes
>> it gets really bad for the scheduling.
>>
>> Say you watch something, find it interesting and press record
>> to catch the upcoming episodes.
>> Then if the next episode happens to have a different age rating
>> it will still not be recorded :-(
>>
>> So could we get a way to tell Myth to disregard everything
>> in parentheses at the end of the title ?
>> Or perhaps even more generic:
>> Ability to add a regexp list that is always applied to the
>> recording rules?
>>
>> I know I can set the rules as a SQL select and that is what I have been
>> doing., but this is quite messy to set up at the moment.
>>

> where do you get the guide data from?
> xmltv or eit?
>
> if it is eit then it sounds like you need to write a custom eitfixup
> for your provider.
> as i remember it you have one function to cleanup the eit data and
> there is a table that triggers the fixup when eit is collected on the
> correct network id or similar.
> (this is just from memory, was a while since i worked on eit fixups)
>
> if you use eit then perhaps you should swap to xmltv as guide data?
> it is generally of much better quality than eit.
> there is a xmltv grabber for xmltv.se already built in to xmltv and i
> believe that source of data covers a lot of scandinavian channels, not
> just swedish.
> see: http://xmltv.xmltv.se/00index.html

It looks like Finland is one of the supported regions for Schedules
Direct which may be another alternative to get better EPG data?
http://www.schedulesdirect.org/regions

Paul H.
Re: RFE [ In reply to ]
On 2018-02-04 11:52, Dag Nygren wrote:
> On söndag 4 februari 2018 kl. 12:35:57 EET Torbjorn Jansson wrote:
>> On 2018-02-04 11:10, Dag Nygren wrote:
>> if it is eit then it sounds like you need to write a custom eitfixup for
>> your provider.
>> as i remember it you have one function to cleanup the eit data and there is
>> a table that triggers the fixup when eit is collected on the correct
>> network id or similar.
>> (this is just from memory, was a while since i worked on eit fixups)
>
> So there is a hook for it already! Neat! I will have a look
> at that.
>
>> if you use eit then perhaps you should swap to xmltv as guide data?
>> it is generally of much better quality than eit.
>
> I am using EIT and prefer it mainly because I haven't found a finnish XML
> provider that gives me XML info in Swedish (my mother tongue)
> but EIT in most cases is bilingual.
>
> Many thanks for the tip on fixup. Pretty OK with programming
> and I will definitely have a go at it.
> Already have some ideas on the implementation :-)

as i remember it, when you want to test your new eit fixup function you have to
purge a few tables since mythtv caches the information and only update if
things is missing.
it is probably a good idea to use a development system or different database or
similar.

i also think there is some helpful verbose logging options in the backend you
can turn on.

i worked on an eit fixup for a provider in Sweden several years ago.
i did it mostly because the provider starts the program description in what
normally is the subtitle, so the description is almost always cut off (applies
to all standalone dvb boxes too that doesn't come from the provider)
but i think i overdid it a bit and it was never committed and now it has
bit-rotted for a long time.
i gave up on it and switched to xmltv and have been satisfied with that.