Mailing List Archive

Possible configure option to disable dbus / udisks?
Hi. First of all, thanks a million for the work of all the devs. I've
been enjoying mythtv for over 10 years now!

I'm running my frontend/backend under Gentoo. For some time I've been
compiling both without any dbus (or qtdbus) and with no udisks
installed, though with dvd support enabled, and it works fine for my
purposes. As far as I've ever been able to find out, udisks is only
used for discovering DVD drives etc. dbus is a requirement for udisks
apparently, and if I understand correctly, also gets used for
screensavers...though I have xscreensaver working fine without that. I
actually just upgraded to 0.28.1 with that setup.

The only thing currently making it impossible to based that on USE
flags in Gentoo is the fact that there's no actual configure option to
disable that. That is, it's based purely on whether or not those are
installed.

Is there any possibility of adding configure option(s) for that?
Thanks in advance!

Tom
Re: Possible configure option to disable dbus / udisks? [ In reply to ]
On 04/09/17 19:49, Tom Dexter wrote:
> Hi. First of all, thanks a million for the work of all the devs. I've
> been enjoying mythtv for over 10 years now!
>
> I'm running my frontend/backend under Gentoo. For some time I've been
> compiling both without any dbus (or qtdbus) and with no udisks
> installed, though with dvd support enabled, and it works fine for my
> purposes. As far as I've ever been able to find out, udisks is only
> used for discovering DVD drives etc. dbus is a requirement for udisks
> apparently, and if I understand correctly, also gets used for
> screensavers...though I have xscreensaver working fine without that. I
> actually just upgraded to 0.28.1 with that setup.
>
> The only thing currently making it impossible to based that on USE
> flags in Gentoo is the fact that there's no actual configure option to
> disable that. That is, it's based purely on whether or not those are
> installed.
>
> Is there any possibility of adding configure option(s) for that?
> Thanks in advance!

Feel free to provide patches to add that.

We have plenty to work on already so any help is welcome! :)

Regards
Stuart
Re: Possible configure option to disable dbus / udisks? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> On 04/09/17 19:49, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> Hi. First of all, thanks a million for the work of all the devs. I've
>> been enjoying mythtv for over 10 years now!
>>
>> I'm running my frontend/backend under Gentoo. For some time I've been
>> compiling both without any dbus (or qtdbus) and with no udisks
>> installed, though with dvd support enabled, and it works fine for my
>> purposes. As far as I've ever been able to find out, udisks is only
>> used for discovering DVD drives etc. dbus is a requirement for udisks
>> apparently, and if I understand correctly, also gets used for
>> screensavers...though I have xscreensaver working fine without that. I
>> actually just upgraded to 0.28.1 with that setup.
>>
>> The only thing currently making it impossible to based that on USE
>> flags in Gentoo is the fact that there's no actual configure option to
>> disable that. That is, it's based purely on whether or not those are
>> installed.
>>
>> Is there any possibility of adding configure option(s) for that?
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> Feel free to provide patches to add that.
>
> We have plenty to work on already so any help is welcome! :)
>

> Regards
> Stuart

Sure. I'll see what I can do, though that's a little out of my
wheelhouse. One aspect of it that I'd need clarification on is this:
While I can clearly see the qtdbus is the existing configure script,
there's nothing in there regarding udisks at all. Would the omission
of qtdbus simply cause all the udisk stuff to be disabled? Wasn't
clear on that.

Thanks!
Tom
Re: Possible configure option to disable dbus / udisks? [ In reply to ]
On 04/09/17 20:52, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>> On 04/09/17 19:49, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>> Hi. First of all, thanks a million for the work of all the devs. I've
>>> been enjoying mythtv for over 10 years now!
>>>
>>> I'm running my frontend/backend under Gentoo. For some time I've been
>>> compiling both without any dbus (or qtdbus) and with no udisks
>>> installed, though with dvd support enabled, and it works fine for my
>>> purposes. As far as I've ever been able to find out, udisks is only
>>> used for discovering DVD drives etc. dbus is a requirement for udisks
>>> apparently, and if I understand correctly, also gets used for
>>> screensavers...though I have xscreensaver working fine without that. I
>>> actually just upgraded to 0.28.1 with that setup.
>>>
>>> The only thing currently making it impossible to based that on USE
>>> flags in Gentoo is the fact that there's no actual configure option to
>>> disable that. That is, it's based purely on whether or not those are
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> Is there any possibility of adding configure option(s) for that?
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>

>> Feel free to provide patches to add that.
>>
>> We have plenty to work on already so any help is welcome! :)
>>

>> Regards
>> Stuart
>
> Sure. I'll see what I can do, though that's a little out of my
> wheelhouse. One aspect of it that I'd need clarification on is this:
> While I can clearly see the qtdbus is the existing configure script,
> there's nothing in there regarding udisks at all. Would the omission
> of qtdbus simply cause all the udisk stuff to be disabled? Wasn't
> clear on that.

It will mean that mythtv cannot communicate with the udisks service
via dbus. (or the dbus based screensaver)

tbh, i'd be surprised if gentoo still shipped udisks, it died a long
time ago and was replaced by udisks2 (which we don't support) which has
itself also been replaced.

Your analysis is correct, in that there isn't any code that requires a
udisks-dev type package, we just use what is provided by the system
via dbus.

Regards
Stuart
Re: Possible configure option to disable dbus / udisks? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> On 04/09/17 20:52, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie
>> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:

>>> Feel free to provide patches to add that.
>>>
>>> We have plenty to work on already so any help is welcome! :)
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Stuart
>>
>> Sure. I'll see what I can do, though that's a little out of my
>> wheelhouse. One aspect of it that I'd need clarification on is this:
>> While I can clearly see the qtdbus is the existing configure script,
>> there's nothing in there regarding udisks at all. Would the omission
>> of qtdbus simply cause all the udisk stuff to be disabled? Wasn't
>> clear on that.
>>

> It will mean that mythtv cannot communicate with the udisks service
> via dbus. (or the dbus based screensaver)
>
> tbh, i'd be surprised if gentoo still shipped udisks, it died a long
> time ago and was replaced by udisks2 (which we don't support) which has
> itself also been replaced.
>
> Your analysis is correct, in that there isn't any code that requires a
> udisks-dev type package, we just use what is provided by the system
> via dbus.
>

> Regards
> Stuart

Thanks! Actually the recent Gentoo ebuilds do in fact pull in udisks2
if either dvd or bluray support is enabled. Sounds like an option to
disable qtdbus should take care of it.

Tom
Re: Possible configure option to disable dbus / udisks? [ In reply to ]
On 04/09/17 21:38, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>> On 04/09/17 20:52, Tom Dexter wrote:

>>> Sure. I'll see what I can do, though that's a little out of my
>>> wheelhouse. One aspect of it that I'd need clarification on is this:
>>> While I can clearly see the qtdbus is the existing configure script,
>>> there's nothing in there regarding udisks at all. Would the omission
>>> of qtdbus simply cause all the udisk stuff to be disabled? Wasn't
>>> clear on that.
>>>

>> It will mean that mythtv cannot communicate with the udisks service
>> via dbus. (or the dbus based screensaver)
>>
>> tbh, i'd be surprised if gentoo still shipped udisks, it died a long
>> time ago and was replaced by udisks2 (which we don't support) which has
>> itself also been replaced.
>>
>> Your analysis is correct, in that there isn't any code that requires a
>> udisks-dev type package, we just use what is provided by the system
>> via dbus.
>>

>> Regards
>> Stuart
>
> Thanks! Actually the recent Gentoo ebuilds do in fact pull in udisks2
> if either dvd or bluray support is enabled. Sounds like an option to
> disable qtdbus should take care of it.

Heh, sounds a bit pointless.

If we find the system is using udisks2 service we give up.
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/8f6b99e45f3de1a8278ede7b0d3644901a034f28

and indeed, disabling qtdbus will kill off this
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmyth/mediamonitor-unix.cpp#L76

Regards
Stuart