Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
Am Freitag, 18. August 2017, 16:37:01 CEST schrieb Nick Morrott:

> I'm curious to know what is so special about the updated ttvdb API
> that seemingly no currently packaged Python libraries on any major
> distro are sufficiently current to allow it to work.

I remember someone that said on IRC, that he will look if he can do it with
python3. For me it sounded like someone who wants to try a new lang, or looks
forward to get more experience in it. I don't know anyone here to make a
judgement on this, but maybe it just a problem, that he found examples how it
can be done with this new stuff and doesn't know any other way.

I really can't imagine that stuff like JSON is that new.

--
MfG. usw.

Werner Mahr
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 18/08/17 16:12, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 6:15 AM Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Karl Dietz
> <dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org
> <mailto:dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org>> wrote:
> > PS: Schedules Direct just being a random sample of a database with art
> > that our users might enjoy.
>
> Yes, I have a starter (and still not completed) metadata
> artwork grabber for SD that I started quite some time
> ago that I really should get back to one of these days
> (I presume if I cared more about artwork it would get
> more towards the top of my list). The artwork seems
> reasonably good (and since it is presumably curated
> by paid staff it likely should be; no "surprises" in the
> returned results).
>

> We can't add pip installs to a package install so we have 3 options
> 1) The user installs the packages manually, no dependencies are added to
> packaging
> 2) The tool gets rewritten to remove the need for the updated libraries,
> adding dependencies where they are needed.
> 3) We add the packages to the PPA and add the dependencies to the mythtv
> packages.
>
> I've looked and the new minimum versions aren't even in Artful, so
> someone will need to put together an updated package. This could be as
> simple as taking the current packaging and pointing it at the new
> versions of the packaging and building it, but I haven't looked into it.
>
> I'm open to any of these solutions and if #3 is chosen will add the
> package to the PPA.
>
> Thomas

It's already being reworked as we speak to work with the version
of the packages shipped in ubuntu 16.04.

A test patch has already been pushed.

See https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/141
and https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13084

Regards
Stuart
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/18/2017 12:24 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 18/08/17 16:12, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 6:15 AM Gary Buhrmaster
>> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Karl Dietz
>> <dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org
>> <mailto:dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org>> wrote:
>> > PS: Schedules Direct just being a random sample of a database with art
>> > that our users might enjoy.
>>
>> Yes, I have a starter (and still not completed) metadata
>> artwork grabber for SD that I started quite some time
>> ago that I really should get back to one of these days
>> (I presume if I cared more about artwork it would get
>> more towards the top of my list). The artwork seems
>> reasonably good (and since it is presumably curated
>> by paid staff it likely should be; no "surprises" in the
>> returned results).
>>

>> We can't add pip installs to a package install so we have 3 options
>> 1) The user installs the packages manually, no dependencies are added to
>> packaging
>> 2) The tool gets rewritten to remove the need for the updated libraries,
>> adding dependencies where they are needed.
>> 3) We add the packages to the PPA and add the dependencies to the mythtv
>> packages.
>>
>> I've looked and the new minimum versions aren't even in Artful, so
>> someone will need to put together an updated package. This could be as
>> simple as taking the current packaging and pointing it at the new
>> versions of the packaging and building it, but I haven't looked into it.
>>
>> I'm open to any of these solutions and if #3 is chosen will add the
>> package to the PPA.
>>
>> Thomas
> It's already being reworked as we speak to work with the version
> of the packages shipped in ubuntu 16.04.
>
> A test patch has already been pushed.
>
> See https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/141
> and https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13084
>

> Regards
> Stuart

The latest commit of the new ttvdb.py is now working with the ubuntu
16.04 packaged versions of the python components. These are the packages
needed:

python-future, python-requests, python-requests-cache

It would be prudent to add these dependencies to the build sooner rather
than later, so they are ready when the new script is pushed.

Peter
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
I've just added these to the dependencies for mythtv-common. In doing so,
trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages don't exist at all on
trusty.

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:03 PM Peter Bennett <pgbennett@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 08/18/2017 12:24 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> > On 18/08/17 16:12, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> >> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 6:15 AM Gary Buhrmaster
> >> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Karl Dietz
> >> <dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org
> with art
> >>
> >> Yes, I have a starter (and still not completed) metadata
> >> artwork grabber for SD that I started quite some time
> >> ago that I really should get back to one of these days
> >> (I presume if I cared more about artwork it would get
> >> more towards the top of my list). The artwork seems
> >> reasonably good (and since it is presumably curated
> >> by paid staff it likely should be; no "surprises" in the
> >> returned results).
> >>

> >> We can't add pip installs to a package install so we have 3 options
> >> 1) The user installs the packages manually, no dependencies are added to
> >> packaging
> >> 2) The tool gets rewritten to remove the need for the updated libraries,
> >> adding dependencies where they are needed.
> >> 3) We add the packages to the PPA and add the dependencies to the mythtv
> >> packages.
> >>
> >> I've looked and the new minimum versions aren't even in Artful, so
> >> someone will need to put together an updated package. This could be as
> >> simple as taking the current packaging and pointing it at the new
> >> versions of the packaging and building it, but I haven't looked into it.
> >>
> >> I'm open to any of these solutions and if #3 is chosen will add the
> >> package to the PPA.
> >>
> >> Thomas
> > It's already being reworked as we speak to work with the version
> > of the packages shipped in ubuntu 16.04.
> >
> > A test patch has already been pushed.
> >
> > See https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/141
> > and https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13084
> >

> > Regards
> > Stuart
> >
> The latest commit of the new ttvdb.py is now working with the ubuntu
> 16.04 packaged versions of the python components. These are the packages
> needed:
>
> python-future, python-requests, python-requests-cache
>
> It would be prudent to add these dependencies to the build sooner rather
> than later, so they are ready when the new script is pushed.
>
> Peter

-Thomas
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:02:35 +0000
> From: Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com>

> I've just added these to the dependencies for mythtv-common. In doing so,
> trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages don't exist at all on
> trusty.

Is it intentional that Myth is only buildable on the -latest- LTS,
and not all LTS's which are still supported? I don't know of Myth
has an explicit policy one way or the other, but the whole point of
an LTS is not to have to reinstall with great frequency.

Would it instead be possible to build (and get errors) but declare ttvdb
grabbing not possible on that OS unless extra repos are enabled? Such
grabbing seems an almost trivial reason to suddenly drop support for an
LTS that's still got almost two years to go.

P.S. I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package availability
also breaks raspbian jessie. Taken together, this seems to be affecting
a lot of releases for a very small amount of functionality. How much of
what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly into the new code
for releases which lack the packages?
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/19/2017 04:16 PM, f-myth-users@media.mit.edu wrote:
> P.S. I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package availability
> also breaks raspbian jessie. Taken together, this seems to be affecting
> a lot of releases for a very small amount of functionality. How much of
> what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly into the new code
> for releases which lack the packages?
If I don't find an easy solution for the raspberry pi, I will simply
build without for raspberry. Since raspberry pi is mainly used for
frontends this would have little impact. If a raspberry pi is used for a
backend the metadata will not work.

Peter
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM <f-myth-users@media.mit.edu> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:02:35 +0000
> > From: Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com>
>
> > I've just added these to the dependencies for mythtv-common. In
> doing so,
> > trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages don't exist at
> all on
> > trusty.
>
> Is it intentional that Myth is only buildable on the -latest- LTS,
> and not all LTS's which are still supported? I don't know of Myth
> has an explicit policy one way or the other, but the whole point of
> an LTS is not to have to reinstall with great frequency.
>
> Would it instead be possible to build (and get errors) but declare ttvdb
> grabbing not possible on that OS unless extra repos are enabled? Such
> grabbing seems an almost trivial reason to suddenly drop support for an
> LTS that's still got almost two years to go.
>
> P.S. I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package availability
> also breaks raspbian jessie. Taken together, this seems to be affecting
> a lot of releases for a very small amount of functionality. How much of
> what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly into the new code
> for releases which lack the packages?

The Mythbuntu team has always supported Latest LTS only and recommended
upgrading every 2 years (although attempts are made to build packages for
older LTS releases, if stuff causes them to break there no attempt to fix
them).

If I remove the blacklisting of Trusty, then the package will build but
will fail to install due to missing dependencies. I might be able to
backport those packages to the PPA if it's not too much effort.
--
-Thomas
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 8/19/2017 7:58 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM <f-myth-users@media.mit.edu
> <mailto:f-myth-users@media.mit.edu>> wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:02:35 +0000
> > From: Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com
> <mailto:thomas@mashos.com>>
>
> > I've just added these to the dependencies for mythtv-common.
> In doing so,
> > trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages don't
> exist at all on
> > trusty.
>
> Is it intentional that Myth is only buildable on the -latest- LTS,
> and not all LTS's which are still supported? I don't know of Myth
> has an explicit policy one way or the other, but the whole point of
> an LTS is not to have to reinstall with great frequency.
>
> Would it instead be possible to build (and get errors) but declare ttvdb
> grabbing not possible on that OS unless extra repos are enabled? Such
> grabbing seems an almost trivial reason to suddenly drop support for an
> LTS that's still got almost two years to go.
>
> P.S. I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package availability
> also breaks raspbian jessie. Taken together, this seems to be affecting
> a lot of releases for a very small amount of functionality. How much of
> what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly into the
> new code
> for releases which lack the packages?
>

> The Mythbuntu team has always supported Latest LTS only and recommended
> upgrading every 2 years (although attempts are made to build packages
> for older LTS releases, if stuff causes them to break there no attempt
> to fix them).
>
> If I remove the blacklisting of Trusty, then the package will build but
> will fail to install due to missing dependencies. I might be able to
> backport those packages to the PPA if it's not too much effort.
> --
> -Thomas

I, for one, would certainly appreciate it if you could try to backport
those packages. I'm still on mythtv 0.27 and trusty and don't plan on
upgrading until trusty LTS ends. I experimented with mythtv 0.28 and
xenial and found it degraded playback of h264 SD content on one of my
older laptops I use as a frontend. As long as that laptop works and as
long as Canonical supports trusty, I don't want to upgrade. FMI, see
this thread I started in June:
https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/608926
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:

> On 8/19/2017 7:58 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM <f-myth-users@media.mit.edu
> > <mailto:f-myth-users@media.mit.edu>> wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:02:35 +0000
> > > From: Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com
> > <mailto:thomas@mashos.com>>
> >
> > > I've just added these to the dependencies for mythtv-common.
> > In doing so,
> > > trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages don't
> > exist at all on
> > > trusty.
> >
> > Is it intentional that Myth is only buildable on the -latest- LTS,
> > and not all LTS's which are still supported? I don't know of Myth
> > has an explicit policy one way or the other, but the whole point of
> > an LTS is not to have to reinstall with great frequency.
> >
> > Would it instead be possible to build (and get errors) but declare
> ttvdb
> > grabbing not possible on that OS unless extra repos are enabled?
> Such
> > grabbing seems an almost trivial reason to suddenly drop support for
> an
> > LTS that's still got almost two years to go.
> >
> > P.S. I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package
> availability
> > also breaks raspbian jessie. Taken together, this seems to be
> affecting
> > a lot of releases for a very small amount of functionality. How
> much of
> > what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly into the
> > new code
> > for releases which lack the packages?
> >

> > The Mythbuntu team has always supported Latest LTS only and recommended
> > upgrading every 2 years (although attempts are made to build packages
> > for older LTS releases, if stuff causes them to break there no attempt
> > to fix them).
> >
> > If I remove the blacklisting of Trusty, then the package will build but
> > will fail to install due to missing dependencies. I might be able to
> > backport those packages to the PPA if it's not too much effort.
> > --
> > -Thomas
>
> I, for one, would certainly appreciate it if you could try to backport
> those packages. I'm still on mythtv 0.27 and trusty and don't plan on
> upgrading until trusty LTS ends. I experimented with mythtv 0.28 and
> xenial and found it degraded playback of h264 SD content on one of my
> older laptops I use as a frontend. As long as that laptop works and as
> long as Canonical supports trusty, I don't want to upgrade. FMI, see
> this thread I started in June:
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/608926

I'll look into it, however we don't build 0.27 packages anymore since the
release of 29. We only build Current Release, Current Release - 1, and
master.
--
-Thomas
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/20/2017 01:21 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com <mailto:mythtv@hbuus.com>> wrote:
>
> On 8/19/2017 7:58 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM <f-myth-users@media.mit.edu <mailto:f-myth-users@media.mit.edu>
> > <mailto:f-myth-users@media.mit.edu <mailto:f-myth-users@media.mit.edu>>> wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:02:35 +0000
> > > From: Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com <mailto:thomas@mashos.com>
> > <mailto:thomas@mashos.com <mailto:thomas@mashos.com>>>
> >
> > > I've just added these to the dependencies for mythtv-common.
> > In doing so,
> > > trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages don't
> > exist at all on
> > > trusty.
> >
> > Is it intentional that Myth is only buildable on the -latest- LTS,
> > and not all LTS's which are still supported? I don't know of Myth
> > has an explicit policy one way or the other, but the whole point of
> > an LTS is not to have to reinstall with great frequency.
> >
> > Would it instead be possible to build (and get errors) but declare ttvdb
> > grabbing not possible on that OS unless extra repos are enabled? Such
> > grabbing seems an almost trivial reason to suddenly drop support for an
> > LTS that's still got almost two years to go.
> >
> > P.S. I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package availability
> > also breaks raspbian jessie. Taken together, this seems to be affecting
> > a lot of releases for a very small amount of functionality. How much of
> > what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly into the
> > new code
> > for releases which lack the packages?
> >

> > The Mythbuntu team has always supported Latest LTS only and recommended
> > upgrading every 2 years (although attempts are made to build packages
> > for older LTS releases, if stuff causes them to break there no attempt
> > to fix them).
> >
> > If I remove the blacklisting of Trusty, then the package will build but
> > will fail to install due to missing dependencies. I might be able to
> > backport those packages to the PPA if it's not too much effort.
> > --
> > -Thomas
>
> I, for one, would certainly appreciate it if you could try to backport
> those packages. I'm still on mythtv 0.27 and trusty and don't plan on
> upgrading until trusty LTS ends. I experimented with mythtv 0.28 and
> xenial and found it degraded playback of h264 SD content on one of my
> older laptops I use as a frontend. As long as that laptop works and as
> long as Canonical supports trusty, I don't want to upgrade. FMI, see
> this thread I started in June:
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/608926
>

> I'll look into it, however we don't build 0.27 packages anymore since the release of 29. We only build Current Release, Current Release - 1, and
> master.
> --
> -Thomas

Also:

Although not huge, the differences in bindings/python/MythTV/... and
mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py itself, prevent
the existing patch from applying to 0.27.

--
Bill
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/20/2017 12:10 AM, faginbagin wrote:
> I, for one, would certainly appreciate it if you could try to backport
> those packages. I'm still on mythtv 0.27 and trusty and don't plan on
> upgrading until trusty LTS ends. I experimented with mythtv 0.28 and
> xenial and found it degraded playback of h264 SD content on one of my
> older laptops I use as a frontend. As long as that laptop works and as
> long as Canonical supports trusty, I don't want to upgrade. FMI, see
> this thread I started in June:
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/608926

There is an enhancement in v29 that is designed to help with cases like
yours. From that mail thread I see that your laptop works OK on an
OpenGL profile for H264 but needs the Slim profile for MPEG2. With the
enhancement to the playback profile this is now possible. you can select
different playback methods based on the type of video, size of video and
framerate, so it gives a lot of options for tuning your playback
profile. For example you could set one method for SD H264, another for
HD H264, another for all MPEG2, and a default to be used for everything
else.

Let me know if you need more details or help with this.

Peter
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 8/20/2017 3:33 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> [...]
>> upgrading until trusty LTS ends. I experimented with mythtv 0.28 and
>> xenial and found it degraded playback of h264 SD content on one of my
>> older laptops I use as a frontend. As long as that laptop works
>> and as
>> long as Canonical supports trusty, I don't want to upgrade. FMI, see
>> this thread I started in June:
>> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/608926
>>

>> I'll look into it, however we don't build 0.27 packages anymore since
>> the release of 29. We only build Current Release, Current Release - 1,
>> and master.
>> --
>> -Thomas
>
> Also:
>
> Although not huge, the differences in bindings/python/MythTV/... and
> mythtv/programs/scripts/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py itself, prevent
> the existing patch from applying to 0.27.

So it might be possible to modify the patch further so it could work in
0.27? Hmm, I'm not a python expert, but I have tinkered in the language.
Guess if I want to stick with 0.27, it's time for me to take a look at
Mark's work and see if I can take it a "step backwards".

FWIW, I took a look at smolt.mythtv.org and it seems there's about 29%
active 0.27 installs. Also, isn't it time to announce this change on the
user list and the forum so those folks know they now have a good reason
to think about upgrading and should start planning for it?

Regards,
Helen
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 8/20/2017 4:20 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 08/20/2017 12:10 AM, faginbagin wrote:
>> I, for one, would certainly appreciate it if you could try to backport
>> those packages. I'm still on mythtv 0.27 and trusty and don't plan on
>> upgrading until trusty LTS ends. I experimented with mythtv 0.28 and
>> xenial and found it degraded playback of h264 SD content on one of my
>> older laptops I use as a frontend. As long as that laptop works and as
>> long as Canonical supports trusty, I don't want to upgrade. FMI, see
>> this thread I started in June:
>> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/608926
>
> There is an enhancement in v29 that is designed to help with cases like
> yours. From that mail thread I see that your laptop works OK on an
> OpenGL profile for H264 but needs the Slim profile for MPEG2. With the
> enhancement to the playback profile this is now possible. you can select
> different playback methods based on the type of video, size of video and
> framerate, so it gives a lot of options for tuning your playback
> profile. For example you could set one method for SD H264, another for
> HD H264, another for all MPEG2, and a default to be used for everything
> else.
>
> Let me know if you need more details or help with this.
>
> Peter
Many thanks for taking the time to read that thread. I'll keep your
offer in mind if I find I don't have the python chops to backport Mark's
work to 0.27.

Thanks,
Helen