Mailing List Archive

Additional run-time dependencies
Hi Thomas

There is a change coming soon in MythTV that will require some
additional run-time dependencies to be installed. The change is to the
python bindings and ttvbd.py. The change is required to be done before
October 1st otherwise metadata will fail.

Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
following additional package installed:

python-pip

Also after the install this needs to be run (by root):

pip install --upgrade future requests_cache requests

I suggest getting these in soon, so that when we commit the code change
the dependencies will be installed before or with the code change. The
dependencies can be installed before the code change without causing any
problem, however installing the code change without the dependencies
will cause metadata jobs to fail.

Peter


_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
There is not clear packaging guidelines on Fedora for how to deal with
this, the best I've found is:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PythonWheels

Does that seem like a reasonable approach?

Typically building a package is not support to rely on having internet
available (i.e., downloading sources on the fly) but with the likes of GO,
nodejs, and now pip, this seem more and more difficult to maintain.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 08:21 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Hi Thomas
>
> There is a change coming soon in MythTV that will require some
> additional run-time dependencies to be installed. The change is to
> the
> python bindings and ttvbd.py. The change is required to be done
> before
> October 1st otherwise metadata will fail.
>
> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
> following additional package installed:
>
> python-pip
>
> Also after the install this needs to be run (by root):
>
> pip install --upgrade future requests_cache requests
>
> I suggest getting these in soon, so that when we commit the code
> change
> the dependencies will be installed before or with the code change.
> The
> dependencies can be installed before the code change without causing
> any
> problem, however installing the code change without the dependencies
> will cause metadata jobs to fail.

Peter,

This wants to install a bunch of dev packages on my production machine.

selene$ sudo apt-get install python-pip
[sudo] password for david:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-5 libalgorithm-diff-perl
libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libexpat1-dev
libfakeroot libpython-all-dev libpython-dev libpython2.7-dev
libstdc++-5-dev python-all python-all-dev python-dev python-pip-whl
python-setuptools python-wheel python2.7-dev
Suggested packages:
debian-keyring g++-multilib g++-5-multilib gcc-5-doc libstdc++6-5-dbg
libstdc++-5-doc python-setuptools-doc

Is there something being installed through pip that can't be gotten
from an existing package?

David

_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 8/17/2017 11:39 PM, David Hampton wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 08:21 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Hi Thomas
>>
>> There is a change coming soon in MythTV that will require some
>> additional run-time dependencies to be installed. The change is to
>> the
>> python bindings and ttvbd.py. The change is required to be done
>> before
>> October 1st otherwise metadata will fail.
>>
>> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
>> following additional package installed:
>>
>> python-pip
>>
>> Also after the install this needs to be run (by root):
>>
>> pip install --upgrade future requests_cache requests
>>
>> I suggest getting these in soon, so that when we commit the code
>> change
>> the dependencies will be installed before or with the code change.
>> The
>> dependencies can be installed before the code change without causing
>> any
>> problem, however installing the code change without the dependencies
>> will cause metadata jobs to fail.
> Peter,
>
> This wants to install a bunch of dev packages on my production machine.
>
> selene$ sudo apt-get install python-pip
> [sudo] password for david:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following additional packages will be installed:
> build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-5 libalgorithm-diff-perl
> libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libexpat1-dev
> libfakeroot libpython-all-dev libpython-dev libpython2.7-dev
> libstdc++-5-dev python-all python-all-dev python-dev python-pip-whl
> python-setuptools python-wheel python2.7-dev
> Suggested packages:
> debian-keyring g++-multilib g++-5-multilib gcc-5-doc libstdc++6-5-dbg
> libstdc++-5-doc python-setuptools-doc
>
> Is there something being installed through pip that can't be gotten
> from an existing package?
Note that pip is only required for those distributions that have
insufficient versions of the afore mentioned packages.
for debian these are
python-requests >= 2.11.1 but not sure of the minimum requirement. Works
fine with 2.18.1 too. Peter can you give your insufficient versions so
that we have a range for the transition. The method
remove_expired_responses() is the base requirement for CachedSession so
that can be tested for.
python-requests-cache 0.14.3 also not sure of the minimum requirement.

There will be equivalents for fedora and others. Note that I use debian
testing but don't update that frequently.
the equivalent python3 packages could also be included as the new one
works with py3 too.

pip is only required when the distribution is too old to provide
sufficient versions. There could be an apt-get install these 2 packages,
test for sufficiency and only then resort to pip.

HTH
mark

_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/17/2017 08:39 AM, David Hampton wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 08:21 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Hi Thomas
>>
>> There is a change coming soon in MythTV that will require some
>> additional run-time dependencies to be installed. The change is to
>> the
>> python bindings and ttvbd.py. The change is required to be done
>> before
>> October 1st otherwise metadata will fail.
>>
>> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
>> following additional package installed:
>>
>> python-pip
>>
>> Also after the install this needs to be run (by root):
>>
>> pip install --upgrade future requests_cache requests
>>
>> I suggest getting these in soon, so that when we commit the code
>> change
>> the dependencies will be installed before or with the code change.
>> The
>> dependencies can be installed before the code change without causing
>> any
>> problem, however installing the code change without the dependencies
>> will cause metadata jobs to fail.
>
> Peter,
>
> This wants to install a bunch of dev packages on my production machine.
>
> selene$ sudo apt-get install python-pip
> [sudo] password for david:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following additional packages will be installed:
> build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-5 libalgorithm-diff-perl
> libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libexpat1-dev
> libfakeroot libpython-all-dev libpython-dev libpython2.7-dev
> libstdc++-5-dev python-all python-all-dev python-dev python-pip-whl
> python-setuptools python-wheel python2.7-dev
> Suggested packages:
> debian-keyring g++-multilib g++-5-multilib gcc-5-doc libstdc++6-5-dbg
> libstdc++-5-doc python-setuptools-doc
>
> Is there something being installed through pip that can't be gotten
> from an existing package?
>
> David

Checking to to see if a distribution has the packages:

In Mythbuntu 14.04 (I really have a box with that loaded),
these aren't found:

$ sudo apt-cache search python-requests-cache
$ sudo apt-cache search python-future

I chose to use pip to get them. And did the same to get an
up-to-date urllib3.

This what I've been testing with on the 14.04 box:

$ pip show future requests requests-cache urllib3
---
Name: future
Version: 0.16.0
Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requires:
---
Name: requests
Version: 2.18.3
Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requires: certifi, chardet, urllib3, idna
---
Name: requests-cache
Version: 0.4.13
Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requires: requests
---
Name: urllib3
Version: 1.22
Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Requires:

--
Bill
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 8/18/2017 12:02 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 08/17/2017 08:39 AM, David Hampton wrote:
>> On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 08:21 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas
>>>
>>> There is a change coming soon in MythTV that will require some
>>> additional run-time dependencies to be installed. The change is to
>>> the
>>> python bindings and ttvbd.py. The change is required to be done
>>> before
>>> October 1st otherwise metadata will fail.
>>>
>>> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
>>> following additional package installed:
>>>
>>> python-pip
>>>
>>> Also after the install this needs to be run (by root):
>>>
>>> pip install --upgrade future requests_cache requests
>>>
>>> I suggest getting these in soon, so that when we commit the code
>>> change
>>> the dependencies will be installed before or with the code change.
>>> The
>>> dependencies can be installed before the code change without causing
>>> any
>>> problem, however installing the code change without the dependencies
>>> will cause metadata jobs to fail.
>>
>> Peter,
>>
>> This wants to install a bunch of dev packages on my production machine.
>>
>> selene$ sudo apt-get install python-pip
>> [sudo] password for david:
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> The following additional packages will be installed:
>> build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-5 libalgorithm-diff-perl
>> libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libexpat1-dev
>> libfakeroot libpython-all-dev libpython-dev libpython2.7-dev
>> libstdc++-5-dev python-all python-all-dev python-dev python-pip-whl
>> python-setuptools python-wheel python2.7-dev
>> Suggested packages:
>> debian-keyring g++-multilib g++-5-multilib gcc-5-doc libstdc++6-5-dbg
>> libstdc++-5-doc python-setuptools-doc
>>
>> Is there something being installed through pip that can't be gotten
>> from an existing package?
>>
>> David
>
> Checking to to see if a distribution has the packages:
>
> In Mythbuntu 14.04 (I really have a box with that loaded),
> these aren't found:
>
> $ sudo apt-cache search python-requests-cache
> $ sudo apt-cache search python-future
>
> I chose to use pip to get them. And did the same to get an
> up-to-date urllib3.
>
> This what I've been testing with on the 14.04 box:
>
> $ pip show future requests requests-cache urllib3
> ---
> Name: future
> Version: 0.16.0
> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> Requires:
> ---
> Name: requests
> Version: 2.18.3
> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> Requires: certifi, chardet, urllib3, idna
> ---
> Name: requests-cache
> Version: 0.4.13
> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> Requires: requests
> ---
> Name: urllib3
> Version: 1.22
> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> Requires:
>
what you can do is

apt-get update
apt-cache madison python-requests

and it will show you what is available.

yes python-future is required too, may not be installed. provides compat
with py3.
mark

_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/17/2017 10:06 AM, Mark Spieth wrote:
> On 8/18/2017 12:02 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 08/17/2017 08:39 AM, David Hampton wrote:
>>> Is there something being installed through pip that can't be gotten
>>> from an existing package?
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> Checking to to see if a distribution has the packages:
>>
>> In Mythbuntu 14.04 (I really have a box with that loaded),
>> these aren't found:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-cache search python-requests-cache
>> $ sudo apt-cache search python-future
>>
>> I chose to use pip to get them. And did the same to get an
>> up-to-date urllib3.
>>
>> This what I've been testing with on the 14.04 box:
>>
>> $ pip show future requests requests-cache urllib3
>> ---
>> Name: future
>> Version: 0.16.0
>> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
>> Requires:
>> ---
>> Name: requests
>> Version: 2.18.3
>> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
>> Requires: certifi, chardet, urllib3, idna
>> ---
>> Name: requests-cache
>> Version: 0.4.13
>> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
>> Requires: requests
>> ---
>> Name: urllib3
>> Version: 1.22
>> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
>> Requires:
>>
> what you can do is
>
> apt-get update
> apt-cache madison python-requests
>
> and it will show you what is available.
>
> yes python-future is required too, may not be installed. provides
> compat with py3.
> mark
>

This is what Ubuntu 16.04 has

apt-cache madison python-future python-requests python-requests-cache

python-future | 0.15.2-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
xenial/universe amd64 Packages
python-future | 0.15.2-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
xenial/universe i386 Packages
python-requests | 2.9.1-3 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
xenial/main amd64 Packages
python-requests | 2.9.1-3 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
xenial/main i386 Packages
python-requests-cache | 0.4.10-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
xenial/universe amd64 Packages
python-requests-cache | 0.4.10-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
xenial/universe i386 Packages

These versions are not good enough, the new metadata script fails with them.

This is what pip has

future (0.16.0)
requests (2.18.3)
requests-cache (0.4.13)

One thing I did not mention - the update will need to happen to all
versions in use - I assume that means 0.27, 0.28 and 29 . People using
older versions will not have working metadata unless they do something.

Peter
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 10:41 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> This is what Ubuntu 16.04 has
>
> apt-cache madison python-future python-requests python-requests-cache
>
> python-future | 0.15.2-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/universe amd64 Packages
> python-future | 0.15.2-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/universe i386 Packages
> python-requests | 2.9.1-3 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/main amd64 Packages
> python-requests | 2.9.1-3 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/main i386 Packages
> python-requests-cache | 0.4.10-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubu
> ntu
> xenial/universe amd64 Packages
> python-requests-cache | 0.4.10-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubu
> ntu
> xenial/universe i386 Packages
>
> These versions are not good enough, the new metadata script fails
> with them.

Can it be made to work with them? Is there some specific function
being used in the later release that doesn't have an equivalent in the
earlier release, or can't be worked around? Fedora 26 has the
following:

python2-future-0.16.0-4.fc26.noarch
python3-future-0.16.0-4.fc26.noarch
python2-requests-2.13.0-1.fc26.noarch
python3-requests-2.13.0-1.fc26.noarch
python-requests-cache-0.4.6-8.fc26.noarch (python2)
python3-requests-cache-0.4.6-8.fc26.noarch

Are these new enough that they will work, or will Fedora systems have
to go the pip route as well? (F24 and F25 have older versions than
F26.)

A forced upgrade of the ttvdb.py script is out of our control, but
minimizing the amount of change is something that we can control. Yes,
its a PITA, but its the right thing for the users. I'm willing to help
test, look for alternative functions, etc., etc.

David

> This is what pip has
>
> future (0.16.0)
> requests (2.18.3)
> requests-cache (0.4.13)
>
> One thing I did not mention - the update will need to happen to all
> versions in use - I assume that means 0.27, 0.28 and 29 . People
> using
> older versions will not have working metadata unless they do
> something.
>
> Peter
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-dev mailing list
> mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:21 AM Peter Bennett <pgbennett@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Thomas
>
> There is a change coming soon in MythTV that will require some
> additional run-time dependencies to be installed. The change is to the
> python bindings and ttvbd.py. The change is required to be done before
> October 1st otherwise metadata will fail.
>
> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
> following additional package installed:
>
> python-pip
>
> Also after the install this needs to be run (by root):
>
> pip install --upgrade future requests_cache requests
>
> I suggest getting these in soon, so that when we commit the code change
> the dependencies will be installed before or with the code change. The
> dependencies can be installed before the code change without causing any
> problem, however installing the code change without the dependencies
> will cause metadata jobs to fail.
>
> Peter
>
>
Is this necessary for MythTV release 30 or prior versions?
--
-Thomas
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:

> Typically building a package is not support to rely on having internet
> available (i.e., downloading sources on the fly) but with the likes of GO,
> nodejs, and now pip, this seem more and more difficult to maintain.

Not really. It just requires that you (or someone you love/hate)
builds the required package (in this case requests/future).
Fortunately, in the case of Fedora, someone has. The only
question is whether those packages are recent enough
so that a simple Requires works (likely, but until one actually
checks....), or you will have to push the maintainer to upgrade.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:

> Is this necessary for MythTV release 30 or prior versions?

The TV DataBase will no longer support the old API as
of (more of less) Oct 1st. All users of ttvdb (in any
MythTV version) will need to install the new metadata
script, and the prereqs, should they want to obtain
(or continue to obtain) metadata. This is likely to
include versions of MythTV packages on distros that
no longer are getting updates. Time to upgrade!

One can suggest that ttvdb should have provided
more than 6 months of warning that an old API
would no longer function, but that is the way of
many community based projects. In with the new,
out with the old.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/17/2017 12:02 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:21 AM Peter Bennett <pgbennett@comcast.net
> <mailto:pgbennett@comcast.net>> wrote:
>
> Hi Thomas
>
> There is a change coming soon in MythTV that will require some
> additional run-time dependencies to be installed. The change is to the
> python bindings and ttvbd.py. The change is required to be done before
> October 1st otherwise metadata will fail.
>
> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
> following additional package installed:
>
> python-pip
>
> Also after the install this needs to be run (by root):
>
> pip install --upgrade future requests_cache requests
>
> I suggest getting these in soon, so that when we commit the code
> change
> the dependencies will be installed before or with the code change. The
> dependencies can be installed before the code change without
> causing any
> problem, however installing the code change without the dependencies
> will cause metadata jobs to fail.
>
> Peter
>
>
> Is this necessary for MythTV release 30 or prior versions?
> --
> -Thomas

This is necessary for all versions - I think we should apply it to 0.27,
0.28, 29 and 30 (depending on what PPAs we still have). It is being
forced on us because of a change in thetvdb.com, which is switching off
their old API on Sept 30th.

Peter
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
it looks like I have a package bug that both mythtv-frontend and
mythtv-common both package /usr/share/mythtv/metadata...

Does any component other than the frontend use ttvdb or /usr/share/metadata?

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/17/2017 12:29 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> it looks like I have a package bug that both mythtv-frontend and
> mythtv-common both package /usr/share/mythtv/metadata...
>
> Does any component other than the frontend use ttvdb or
> /usr/share/metadata?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
Both frontend and backend use them.
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 17. August 2017, 08:21:39 CEST schrieb Peter Bennett:
> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
> following additional package installed:
>
> python-pip

Maybe it's an old discussion (I didn't find anything), but why has this to be
done in a python script? There are already many http-related things in various
lib in mythtv, so I'm sure it could be done with Qt without new deps.

--
MfG. usw.

Werner Mahr
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Werner Mahr <werner@vollstreckernet.de> wrote:

> Maybe it's an old discussion (I didn't find anything), but why has this to be
> done in a python script? There are already many http-related things in various
> lib in mythtv, so I'm sure it could be done with Qt without new deps.

Technically, I would expect that the majority of the
code could have be written in any almost any
language, but the existing V1 ttvdb API code is
python, and I would presume the people working
on the upgrade decided to stay in what already
(mostly) works.

There was a "call to action" email that went out asking
for volunteers, and you likely should have raised your
hand then to offer your (pure?) Qt code variant. Have
you compared your Qt code version with the output
of the python code version?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM Peter Bennett <pgbennett@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 08/17/2017 10:06 AM, Mark Spieth wrote:
> > On 8/18/2017 12:02 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> >> On 08/17/2017 08:39 AM, David Hampton wrote:
> >>> Is there something being installed through pip that can't be gotten
> >>> from an existing package?
> >>>
> >>> David
> >>
> >> Checking to to see if a distribution has the packages:
> >>
> >> In Mythbuntu 14.04 (I really have a box with that loaded),
> >> these aren't found:
> >>
> >> $ sudo apt-cache search python-requests-cache
> >> $ sudo apt-cache search python-future
> >>
> >> I chose to use pip to get them. And did the same to get an
> >> up-to-date urllib3.
> >>
> >> This what I've been testing with on the 14.04 box:
> >>
> >> $ pip show future requests requests-cache urllib3
> >> ---
> >> Name: future
> >> Version: 0.16.0
> >> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> >> Requires:
> >> ---
> >> Name: requests
> >> Version: 2.18.3
> >> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> >> Requires: certifi, chardet, urllib3, idna
> >> ---
> >> Name: requests-cache
> >> Version: 0.4.13
> >> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> >> Requires: requests
> >> ---
> >> Name: urllib3
> >> Version: 1.22
> >> Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
> >> Requires:
> >>
> > what you can do is
> >
> > apt-get update
> > apt-cache madison python-requests
> >
> > and it will show you what is available.
> >
> > yes python-future is required too, may not be installed. provides
> > compat with py3.
> > mark
> >
>
> This is what Ubuntu 16.04 has
>
> apt-cache madison python-future python-requests python-requests-cache
>
> python-future | 0.15.2-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/universe amd64 Packages
> python-future | 0.15.2-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/universe i386 Packages
> python-requests | 2.9.1-3 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/main amd64 Packages
> python-requests | 2.9.1-3 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/main i386 Packages
> python-requests-cache | 0.4.10-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/universe amd64 Packages
> python-requests-cache | 0.4.10-1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> xenial/universe i386 Packages
>
> These versions are not good enough, the new metadata script fails with
> them.
>
> This is what pip has
>
> future (0.16.0)
> requests (2.18.3)
> requests-cache (0.4.13)
>
> One thing I did not mention - the update will need to happen to all
> versions in use - I assume that means 0.27, 0.28 and 29 . People using
> older versions will not have working metadata unless they do something.
>
> Peter
> _______________________________________________
>

I'm not sure we can do pip installs in packaging, I'd much rather see if we
can use the versions already in 16.04.
--
-Thomas
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 08/17/2017 04:00 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>
> I'm not sure we can do pip installs in packaging, I'd much rather see
> if we can use the versions already in 16.04.
> --
> -Thomas
>
I agree with you, this seems sub-optimal. I did try running the new
program with the versions from 16.04 and failed miserably. There is
background in the ticket -> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13084

I suppose an alternative is to add the required versions to the
mythbuntu ppas, that would mean finding and packaging them up
appropriately. It sounds messy.

Mark Spieth is the person who did the development, you can discuss the
possibilities with him.

Peter
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM Peter Bennett <pgbennett@comcast.net> wrote:

>
>
> On 08/17/2017 04:00 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>
>
> I'm not sure we can do pip installs in packaging, I'd much rather see if
> we can use the versions already in 16.04.
> --
> -Thomas
>
> I agree with you, this seems sub-optimal. I did try running the new
> program with the versions from 16.04 and failed miserably. There is
> background in the ticket -> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13084
>
> I suppose an alternative is to add the required versions to the mythbuntu
> ppas, that would mean finding and packaging them up appropriately. It
> sounds messy.
>
> Mark Spieth is the person who did the development, you can discuss the
> possibilities with him.
>
>
> Peter
> _______________________________________________
>
>
Unfortunately the new version isn't in Artful either. I'm checking if we're
even allowed to do pip installs from packaging.
--
-Thomas
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 17.08.2017 21:20, Werner Mahr wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. August 2017, 08:21:39 CEST schrieb Peter Bennett:
>> Packages that include python bindings or ttvdb.py will need the
>> following additional package installed:
>>
>> python-pip
>
> Maybe it's an old discussion (I didn't find anything), but why has this to be
> done in a python script? There are already many http-related things in various
> lib in mythtv, so I'm sure it could be done with Qt without new deps.

The grabbers are external scripts, so you can write a Schedules Direct
grabber and just drop it in, without recompiling MythTV itself.

Regards,
Karl

PS: Schedules Direct just being a random sample of a database with art
that our users might enjoy.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 17. August 2017, 19:57:10 CEST schrieb Gary Buhrmaster:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Werner Mahr <werner@vollstreckernet.de>
wrote:
> > Maybe it's an old discussion (I didn't find anything), but why has this to
> > be done in a python script? There are already many http-related things in
> > various lib in mythtv, so I'm sure it could be done with Qt without new
> > deps.
> Technically, I would expect that the majority of the
> code could have be written in any almost any
> language, but the existing V1 ttvdb API code is
> python, and I would presume the people working
> on the upgrade decided to stay in what already
> (mostly) works.

Technically spoken, it can be done in any lang. But if the lang needs
additions that are hard to package, it's worth a second thought.

> There was a "call to action" email that went out asking
> for volunteers, and you likely should have raised your
> hand then to offer your (pure?) Qt code variant. Have
> you compared your Qt code version with the output
> of the python code version?

Strange, I ak for a reason and get told to do it better. This change has
potential to piss users (as the maybe have to do manual install beside their
pakage-manager) and to piss pakagers (as the maybe have to do backports of
pakages they never had contact with). Thankfully Karl understood the question
and just answered it.

If I would have started the work on this, and get the reason why it's not done
that way afterwards, I would have wasted much time. Time I need to dig through
the code, the find the places I need to use to set a new recorder, get the
right UI-controls, get it into the database, get it configured for chan-
scanning and so on.

--
MfG. usw.

Werner Mahr
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 18/08/17 01:23, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM Peter Bennett <pgbennett@comcast.net
> <mailto:pgbennett@comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>
>
> On 08/17/2017 04:00 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure we can do pip installs in packaging, I'd much rather
>> see if we can use the versions already in 16.04.
>> --
>> -Thomas
>>
> I agree with you, this seems sub-optimal. I did try running the new
> program with the versions from 16.04 and failed miserably. There is
> background in the ticket -> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13084
>
> I suppose an alternative is to add the required versions to the
> mythbuntu ppas, that would mean finding and packaging them up
> appropriately. It sounds messy.
>
> Mark Spieth is the person who did the development, you can discuss
> the possibilities with him.
>
>
> Peter
> _______________________________________________
>
>
> Unfortunately the new version isn't in Artful either. I'm checking if
> we're even allowed to do pip installs from packaging.
> --
> -Thomas
>

We really need to rework the code to use the version in 16.10, as the
latest available LTS version of ubuntu is what we should *always* work
with.


Regards
Stuart

_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Karl Dietz
<dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org> wrote:
> PS: Schedules Direct just being a random sample of a database with art
> that our users might enjoy.

Yes, I have a starter (and still not completed) metadata
artwork grabber for SD that I started quite some time
ago that I really should get back to one of these days
(I presume if I cared more about artwork it would get
more towards the top of my list). The artwork seems
reasonably good (and since it is presumably curated
by paid staff it likely should be; no "surprises" in the
returned results).
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 6:15 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Karl Dietz
> <dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org> wrote:
> > PS: Schedules Direct just being a random sample of a database with art
> > that our users might enjoy.
>
> Yes, I have a starter (and still not completed) metadata
> artwork grabber for SD that I started quite some time
> ago that I really should get back to one of these days
> (I presume if I cared more about artwork it would get
> more towards the top of my list). The artwork seems
> reasonably good (and since it is presumably curated
> by paid staff it likely should be; no "surprises" in the
> returned results).
> _______________________________________________
>
>
We can't add pip installs to a package install so we have 3 options
1) The user installs the packages manually, no dependencies are added to
packaging
2) The tool gets rewritten to remove the need for the updated libraries,
adding dependencies where they are needed.
3) We add the packages to the PPA and add the dependencies to the mythtv
packages.

I've looked and the new minimum versions aren't even in Artful, so someone
will need to put together an updated package. This could be as simple as
taking the current packaging and pointing it at the new versions of the
packaging and building it, but I haven't looked into it.

I'm open to any of these solutions and if #3 is chosen will add the package
to the PPA.

Thomas
--
-Thomas
Re: Additional run-time dependencies [ In reply to ]
On 18 August 2017 at 16:12, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 6:15 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Karl Dietz
>> <dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org> wrote:
>> > PS: Schedules Direct just being a random sample of a database with art
>> > that our users might enjoy.
>>
>> Yes, I have a starter (and still not completed) metadata
>> artwork grabber for SD that I started quite some time
>> ago that I really should get back to one of these days
>> (I presume if I cared more about artwork it would get
>> more towards the top of my list). The artwork seems
>> reasonably good (and since it is presumably curated
>> by paid staff it likely should be; no "surprises" in the
>> returned results).
>> _______________________________________________
>>
>
> We can't add pip installs to a package install so we have 3 options
> 1) The user installs the packages manually, no dependencies are added to
> packaging
> 2) The tool gets rewritten to remove the need for the updated libraries,
> adding dependencies where they are needed.
> 3) We add the packages to the PPA and add the dependencies to the mythtv
> packages.
>
> I've looked and the new minimum versions aren't even in Artful, so someone
> will need to put together an updated package. This could be as simple as
> taking the current packaging and pointing it at the new versions of the
> packaging and building it, but I haven't looked into it.
>
> I'm open to any of these solutions and if #3 is chosen will add the package
> to the PPA.

As Stuart mentioned earlier, #2 is the only sane answer to this issue,
for the project, for packager and most importantly for end users.

I'm curious to know what is so special about the updated ttvdb API
that seemingly no currently packaged Python libraries on any major
distro are sufficiently current to allow it to work.

Cheers,
Nick
_______________________________________________
mythtv-dev mailing list
mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-dev
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org

1 2  View All