Mailing List Archive

Freesat EIT
HI,

I have recently been testing my new DVB SI code against DVB-S Freesat
here in the UK.

I am not seeing EIT actual schedule data where I expect to see it.

There are 4 DVB-S Freesat muxes on Astra 2E. These are :-

DSAT1 on 10.77325 GHz.

DSAT2 on 10.80275 GHz

DSAT5 on 10.78800 GHz

DSAT6 on 10.81750 GHz

I checked the following PIDS 0x12, 0xf01, 0xf02, 0xf03 the above
transponders. I did not find any EIT actual schedule tables on any of them.

This is what I found on all transponder.

Pid 0x12 - EIT actual present/following

Pid 0xf01 - BAT, SDT

Pid 0xf02 - EIT other schedule

PID 0xf03 - Table ID 0xd1 only

No sign of EIT actual schedule data.

I look through the code in the current head (master). In eithelper.cpp
we definitely ignore EIT other tables. I could not find anywhere in the
code where Freesat other schedule tables got special handling. What have
I missed? How are people getting Freesat schedule information at the moment?

I will check tomorrow whether the other schedule tables carry data for
the currently tuned stream.

Does anyone know of any definitive specification for the radiated
Freesat SI data?

There are other Freesat transponders listed for Astra 2e that re are not
in the BBC list at
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf.
<http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf>

I wonder whether there is something on them.
<http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf>

Roger
Re: Freesat EIT [ In reply to ]
Hi Roger,

On 22.05.2017 20:36, roger wrote:

> No sign of EIT actual schedule data.
>
> I look through the code in the current head (master). In eithelper.cpp
> we definitely ignore EIT other tables. I could not find anywhere in the
> code where Freesat other schedule tables got special handling. What have
> I missed? How are people getting Freesat schedule information at the moment?

We should not be ignoring EIT other sections.

I just looked at the code around
https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/dvbstreamdata_8cpp_source.html#l00208
and
https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/eithelper_8cpp_source.html#l00354
but nothing stood out.

If I understood it correctly there is no special handling needed. The
only difference is the Huffman encoding and maybe the PID that carries
the EIT sections.

Does FreeSat signal a transport that carries the complete service
information?
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11809

Regards,
Karl
Re: Freesat EIT [ In reply to ]
On 22/05/17 19:36, roger wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have recently been testing my new DVB SI code against DVB-S Freesat
> here in the UK.
>
> I am not seeing EIT actual schedule data where I expect to see it.
>
> There are 4 DVB-S Freesat muxes on Astra 2E. These are :-
>
> DSAT1 on 10.77325 GHz.
>
> DSAT2 on 10.80275 GHz
>
> DSAT5 on 10.78800 GHz
>
> DSAT6 on 10.81750 GHz
>
> I checked the following PIDS 0x12, 0xf01, 0xf02, 0xf03 the above
> transponders. I did not find any EIT actual schedule tables on any of them.
>
> This is what I found on all transponder.
>
> Pid 0x12 - EIT actual present/following
>
> Pid 0xf01 - BAT, SDT
>
> Pid 0xf02 - EIT other schedule
>
> PID 0xf03 - Table ID 0xd1 only
>
> No sign of EIT actual schedule data.
>
> I look through the code in the current head (master). In eithelper.cpp
> we definitely ignore EIT other tables. I could not find anywhere in the
> code where Freesat other schedule tables got special handling. What have
> I missed? How are people getting Freesat schedule information at the moment?
>
> I will check tomorrow whether the other schedule tables carry data for
> the currently tuned stream.
>
> Does anyone know of any definitive specification for the radiated
> Freesat SI data?
>
> There are other Freesat transponders listed for Astra 2e that re are not
> in the BBC list at
> http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf.
> <http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf>
>
> I wonder whether there is something on them.
> <http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf>
>
> Roger

As I understand it, it should just be handled like any other set of
mplexes, with no special handling.

The mplex which is supposed to carry the EIT data is the one which
would actually need special handling.

There are signalling tables which indictate when it is appropriate
to use a specific mplex to collect EIT data. The non freesat channels
on the same satellite are an example of this.

Regards
Stuart

Re: Freesat EIT [ In reply to ]
I will have a look for that descriptor. I noticed that a NIT was being sent
on pid 0xf00.

I was a little impresice when I said the EITo was ignored. The code in
eithelper just stops the reschedule happening.

Roger

Re: Freesat EIT [ In reply to ]
Hi Stuart,

As far as I can see I have not changed the logic of the Freesat handling.
Is it working in the current master? It is difficult for me to tell. I have
been jumping down a rabbit hole assuming I had broken something in the code.

I am getting too old for this.

Roger

Re: Freesat EIT [ In reply to ]
On 22/05/17 22:47, Roger James wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> As far as I can see I have not changed the logic of the Freesat
> handling. Is it working in the current master? It is difficult for me to
> tell. I have been jumping down a rabbit hole assuming I had broken
> something in the code.

Hi Roger,

Yes it works in current master and in fixes/0.28

Regards
Stuart

Re: Freesat EIT [ In reply to ]
On 22/05/17 22:47, Roger James wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> As far as I can see I have not changed the logic of the Freesat
> handling. Is it working in the current master? It is difficult for me
> to tell. I have been jumping down a rabbit hole assuming I had broken
> something in the code.
>
> I am getting too old for this.
>
> Roger
>

> On 22 May 2017 10:05:55 pm Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>
>> On 22/05/17 19:36, roger wrote:
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I have recently been testing my new DVB SI code against DVB-S Freesat
>>> here in the UK.
>>>
>>> I am not seeing EIT actual schedule data where I expect to see it.
>>>
>>> There are 4 DVB-S Freesat muxes on Astra 2E. These are :-
>>>
>>> DSAT1 on 10.77325 GHz.
>>>
>>> DSAT2 on 10.80275 GHz
>>>
>>> DSAT5 on 10.78800 GHz
>>>
>>> DSAT6 on 10.81750 GHz
>>>
>>> I checked the following PIDS 0x12, 0xf01, 0xf02, 0xf03 the above
>>> transponders. I did not find any EIT actual schedule tables on any
>>> of them.
>>>
>>> This is what I found on all transponder.
>>>
>>> Pid 0x12 - EIT actual present/following
>>>
>>> Pid 0xf01 - BAT, SDT
>>>
>>> Pid 0xf02 - EIT other schedule
>>>
>>> PID 0xf03 - Table ID 0xd1 only
>>>
>>> No sign of EIT actual schedule data.
>>>
>>> I look through the code in the current head (master). In eithelper.cpp
>>> we definitely ignore EIT other tables. I could not find anywhere in the
>>> code where Freesat other schedule tables got special handling. What
>>> have
>>> I missed? How are people getting Freesat schedule information at the
>>> moment?
>>>
>>> I will check tomorrow whether the other schedule tables carry data for
>>> the currently tuned stream.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of any definitive specification for the radiated
>>> Freesat SI data?
>>>
>>> There are other Freesat transponders listed for Astra 2e that re are
>>> not
>>> in the BBC list at
>>> http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf.
>>> <http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf>
>>>
>>> I wonder whether there is something on them.
>>> <http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf>
>>>
>>> Roger
>>>

>> As I understand it, it should just be handled like any other set of
>> mplexes, with no special handling.
>>
>> The mplex which is supposed to carry the EIT data is the one which
>> would actually need special handling.
>>
>> There are signalling tables which indictate when it is appropriate
>> to use a specific mplex to collect EIT data. The non freesat channels
>> on the same satellite are an example of this.
>>

>> Regards
>> Stuart

Roger,

On my test system EIT works on current master (ppa 0.29)

There are some channels which although FTA, are not in Freesat data, as
they are not part of Freesat e.g

Bloomberg HD SID 55392 is FTA but not Freesat, Bloomberg (SD) SID 50316
is Freesat, there are plenty of others.

There is a Freesat list at
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/DVB/28.2E/28E_FreeSat_ChannelNumber.php

The Sky list is at
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/DVB/28.2E/28E_Sky_ChannelNumber.php

Mike
Re: Freesat EIT [ In reply to ]
On 23 May 2017 10:18:05 am Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/05/17 22:47, Roger James wrote:
>> Hi Stuart,
>>
>> As far as I can see I have not changed the logic of the Freesat
>> handling. Is it working in the current master? It is difficult for me
>> to tell. I have been jumping down a rabbit hole assuming I had broken
>> something in the code.
>>
>> I am getting too old for this.
>>
>> Roger
>>

>> On 22 May 2017 10:05:55 pm Stuart Auchterlonie
>> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:

>>> As I understand it, it should just be handled like any other set of
>>> mplexes, with no special handling.
>>>
>>> The mplex which is supposed to carry the EIT data is the one which
>>> would actually need special handling.
>>>
>>> There are signalling tables which indictate when it is appropriate
>>> to use a specific mplex to collect EIT data. The non freesat channels
>>> on the same satellite are an example of this.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Stuart
>>>
> Roger,
>
> On my test system EIT works on current master (ppa 0.29)
>
> There are some channels which although FTA, are not in Freesat data, as
> they are not part of Freesat e.g
>
> Bloomberg HD SID 55392 is FTA but not Freesat, Bloomberg (SD) SID 50316
> is Freesat, there are plenty of others.
>
> There is a Freesat list at
> http://www.satellite-calculations.com/DVB/28.2E/28E_FreeSat_ChannelNumber.php
>
> The Sky list is at
> http://www.satellite-calculations.com/DVB/28.2E/28E_Sky_ChannelNumber.php
>
> Mike

Stuart, Mike,

Thanks. I seem to be getting lots of EIT other schedule sections on pid
0xf02 but very few complete tables. I am looking into this.

Cheers

Roger

Re: Freesat EIT [ In reply to ]
On 23/05/17 11:38, Roger James wrote:
> On 23 May 2017 10:18:05 am Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22/05/17 22:47, Roger James wrote:
>>> Hi Stuart,
>>>
>>> As far as I can see I have not changed the logic of the Freesat
>>> handling. Is it working in the current master? It is difficult for me
>>> to tell. I have been jumping down a rabbit hole assuming I had broken
>>> something in the code.
>>>
>>> I am getting too old for this.
>>>
>>> Roger

>> Roger,
>>
>> On my test system EIT works on current master (ppa 0.29)
>>
>> There are some channels which although FTA, are not in Freesat data, as
>> they are not part of Freesat e.g
>>
>> Bloomberg HD SID 55392 is FTA but not Freesat, Bloomberg (SD) SID 50316
>> is Freesat, there are plenty of others.
>>
>> There is a Freesat list at
>> http://www.satellite-calculations.com/DVB/28.2E/28E_FreeSat_ChannelNumber.php
>>
>> The Sky list is at
>> http://www.satellite-calculations.com/DVB/28.2E/28E_Sky_ChannelNumber.php
>>
>> Mike
>
> Stuart, Mike,
>
> Thanks. I seem to be getting lots of EIT other schedule sections on pid 0xf02
> but very few complete tables. I am looking into this.

My guess would be that you are not handling cases where a TS packet contains
multiple tables.

from memory:
1) if start bit it set and the offset byte is not 0 - the skipped bytes are for
previous table section.
2) if you complete a table section and there is still bytes left in the TS
packet. if it is not stuffing bytes (0xff) it is another table. (repeat as needed)

> Cheers
>
> Roger

Rune