Mailing List Archive

Versions and theme download
Hi Stuart
Re-sending this email because I had sent it from the wrong address.

Regarding ticket #13020
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13020

I want to make sure what I am doing will be consistent with the release
process.

Currently, only if MythTV is built with from a git branch called
fixes/something is the theme download done from the specific version. In
all other cases the themes are taken from trunk. All builds from a git
export zip get their themes from trunk.
(http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/trunk/themes.zip)

I am making changes in the build to ensure the correct version is
obtained from git, or the tag name in EXPORTED_VERSION, or the VERSION
file.

I am changing theme download to use "trunk" only if
- the version includes "-pre" (case insensitive),
or
- the version does not start with a v and a number. I am changing the
compile to fail if the version does not start with v and a number, so
this should never happen.

We need to make sure:
- The mythtv/VERSION file has the correct version e.g. "v29-pre" or
"v29" or "v29.1". For Release candidates, use "v29-rc1", "v29-rc2", etc.
- There must be a git tag with the same value as the version on the same
branch.
- There must be a themes.zip file
http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/29/themes.zip available as
soon as we create a "v29-rc1" or "v29" version and tag.
- The MYTH_BINARY_VERSION in libmythbase/mythversion.h must have the
same major version. In the version is v29, v29-pre, v29.1 the
MYTH_BINARY_VERSION must be 29.xxxxxxxxxx. I am adding a check to fail
the compile if this is not the case.

Note that the theme download caters for themes with subversions, as
follows:

These exist
http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/0.27/themes.zip
http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/0.27.1/themes.zip
http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/0.28/themes.zip

But this does not
http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/0.28.1/themes.zip

Have we abandoned or forgotten to create theme downloads for subversions
of 0.28? Or maybe that is only for special circumstances.

In the code it looks for all earlier subversions then ultimately for the
main version. For example if you are on 0.28.2 it looks for 0.28.2, then
0.28.1, then 0.28. It downloads all that are found.

In the 29 version, it will only cater for 1 level of subversions, i.e.
it will look for 29.2 , 29.1, 29, but not 29.2.1. 29.2.1 would be
treated the same as 29.2.

It seems to me that catering for subversions in themes is overkill.
There does not seem to be anything in theme files that is not backwards
compatible. Due to the above mentioned bug, many users today are
downloading trunk versions of themes onto their 0.28 or 0.27 systems
will no reported problem.

Any comments before I commit the changes?

Peter
Re: Versions and theme download [ In reply to ]
On 01/05/17 20:10, Peter Bennett wrote:
> [...]
>
> Have we abandoned or forgotten to create theme downloads for subversions
> of 0.28? Or maybe that is only for special circumstances.
>
> In the code it looks for all earlier subversions then ultimately for the
> main version. For example if you are on 0.28.2 it looks for 0.28.2, then
> 0.28.1, then 0.28. It downloads all that are found.
>
> In the 29 version, it will only cater for 1 level of subversions, i.e.
> it will look for 29.2 , 29.1, 29, but not 29.2.1. 29.2.1 would be
> treated the same as 29.2.
>
> It seems to me that catering for subversions in themes is overkill.
> There does not seem to be anything in theme files that is not backwards
> compatible. Due to the above mentioned bug, many users today are
> downloading trunk versions of themes onto their 0.28 or 0.27 systems
> will no reported problem.
>
> Any comments before I commit the changes?

Hi Peter,

Does this take into consideration the following

"MythTV Branch : tag: v0.28"

??

Regards
Stuart
Re: Versions and theme download [ In reply to ]
On 05/02/2017 10:23 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Does this take into consideration the following
>
> "MythTV Branch : tag: v0.28"

Hi Stuart

Yes.

If the branch is set to "tag: something" case it uses that tag name plus
the hash as version. in other cases like "master", "fixes/0.28", it
takes the version from the VERSION file and appends the hash.

This only applies if there is no "git describe" available.

I have just attached a diff file for the proposed change.

Peter