Mailing List Archive

Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by jpoet. v29-pre-280-ge763d53
On 25.01.2017 04:31, Git Repo Owner wrote:

> commit d82629a4dfe6d8b2baa86aa7e71b34e76638f536
> Author: John Poet<jpoet@mythtv.org> at Sat, 21 Jan 2017 16:42:28 -0700
> Committer: John Poet<jpoet@mythtv.org> at Tue, 24 Jan 2017 20:31:43 -0700
>
> Allow multiple element names with different dependancies.
> MythUI only allows one element with a given "name", so allow a themer to
> specify names with an extension to make them unique: Anthing after (and
> including) a '+' will be ignored when matching the name. For example:

This appears to be a performance issue on slower systems.

https://irc.mythtv.org/ircLog/channel/4/2017-02-26:14:42:45/2017-02-26:17:00:09

Regards,
Karl
Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by jpoet. v29-pre-280-ge763d53 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM Karl Dietz <dekarl@spaetfruehstuecken.org>
wrote:

> On 25.01.2017 04:31, Git Repo Owner wrote:
> >
> > commit d82629a4dfe6d8b2baa86aa7e71b34e76638f536
> > Author: John Poet<jpoet@mythtv.org> at Sat, 21 Jan 2017 16:42:28
> -0700
> > Committer: John Poet<jpoet@mythtv.org> at Tue, 24 Jan 2017 20:31:43
> -0700
> >
> > Allow multiple element names with different dependancies.
> > MythUI only allows one element with a given "name", so allow a themer to
> > specify names with an extension to make them unique: Anthing after (and
> > including) a '+' will be ignored when matching the name. For example:
> >

> This appears to be a performance issue on slower systems.
>

> https://irc.mythtv.org/ircLog/channel/4/2017-02-26:14:42:45/2017-02-26:17:00:09
>
> Regards,
> Karl

Hmmm. That is really too bad. That adds some nice functionality. I don't
know if I can track down the slowness, though, since apparently none of my
machines are slow enough. I am guessing it has to do with the regular
expression processing.

John
Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by jpoet. v29-pre-280-ge763d53 [ In reply to ]

> Hmmm. That is really too bad. That adds some nice functionality. I don't know if I can track down the slowness, though, since apparently none of my machines are slow enough. I am guessing it has to do with the regular expression processing.
>
> John

John,
If You hint me what part of this commit can be commented for try&see - I can play with this.
This can help us to determine where is slowest part of code.
Then maybe there alternatives to code differently for the same functionality?

Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by jpoet. v29-pre-280-ge763d53 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hmmm. That is really too bad. That adds some nice functionality. I
> don't know if I can track down the slowness, though, since apparently none
> of my machines are slow enough. I am guessing it has to do with the
> regular expression processing.
> >
> > John
> >
> John,
> If You hint me what part of this commit can be commented for try&see - I
> can play with this.
> This can help us to determine where is slowest part of code.
> Then maybe there alternatives to code differently for the same
> functionality

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for the offer. No better solution is coming immediately to mind,
so for now I will just revert it.

John
Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by jpoet. v29-pre-280-ge763d53 [ In reply to ]
On 02/26/2017 03:21 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM Piotr Oniszczuk
> <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com <mailto:piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> > Hmmm. That is really too bad. That adds some nice
> functionality. I don't know if I can track down the slowness,
> though, since apparently none of my machines are slow enough. I
> am guessing it has to do with the regular expression processing.
> >
> > John
> >
> John,
> If You hint me what part of this commit can be commented for
> try&see - I can play with this.
> This can help us to determine where is slowest part of code.
> Then maybe there alternatives to code differently for the same
> functionality
>

> Hi Piotr,
>
> Thank you for the offer. No better solution is coming immediately to
> mind, so for now I will just revert it.
>
> John

Hi John

I did not get to test your enhancement on Raspberry Pi before you pulled
it. Probably you cannot get much lower-powered than Raspberry Pi, so if
you would like me to test the changes on Raspberry Pi, before you commit
them again, or just to get a another perspective on the issue, let me know.

I am curious about the change, it said to allow multiple text areas to
be treated as if they were the same by having a suffix with a plus sign.
Does that mean all of the text areas will show the same content and if
it changes all will change? What is the use case for this?

Peter
Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by jpoet. v29-pre-280-ge763d53 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:01 PM Peter Bennett <pgbennett@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Hi John
>
> I did not get to test your enhancement on Raspberry Pi before you pulled
> it. Probably you cannot get much lower-powered than Raspberry Pi, so if you
> would like me to test the changes on Raspberry Pi, before you commit them
> again, or just to get a another perspective on the issue, let me know.
>
> I am curious about the change, it said to allow multiple text areas to be
> treated as if they were the same by having a suffix with a plus sign. Does
> that mean all of the text areas will show the same content and if it
> changes all will change? What is the use case for this?

Hi Peter,

Combined with a depends=, it would allow the a textarea's size and position
to be dependent on the existence of another element. For example:

<textarea name="description+sub" depends="subtitle">
<area>0,80,-5,100%</area>
<minsize shrink="short" vanish="true">100%,40</minsize>
<align>left</align>
<multiline>yes</multiline>
<scroll direction="vertical" rate="10" returnrate="70"
startdelay="17" returndelay="17"/>
<cutdown>no</cutdown>
<template>%|RATING| %%|(STARS|) %%DESCRIPTION%</template>
</textarea>

<textarea name="description+notsub" depends="!subtitle">
<area>0,45,-5,100%</area>
<minsize shrink="short" vanish="true">100%,40</minsize>
<align>left</align>
<multiline>yes</multiline>
<scroll direction="vertical" rate="10" returnrate="70"
startdelay="17" returndelay="17"/>
<cutdown>no</cutdown>
<template>%|RATING| %%|(STARS|) %%DESCRIPTION%</template>
</textarea>

Would allow the position of the description area to be dependent on the
existence of the subtitle.

I was trying to make it "generically" useful, but I may end up just hacking
MythUI to have "description" and "description1" to allow me to pull that
example off, without the performance penalty.

John