Mailing List Archive

. . . Fetch Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION!
After successfully configuring a Video Source in MythTV Backend configuration, and successfully Retrieving Lineups, there is an error in another section of Backend Config that seems like it should not be occurring. In the MythTV Backend configuration, option 5 Input Connections, select an input connection to edit or add a new one, the Fetch Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION!Using LinHes 8.1.1, which I think uses MythTV 0.27.How can this obvious problem be corrected? This means one must RELY on the Scan For Channels option, which does not create an automatic channel entry for a channel that is too weak to pick up on small antenna! And the manual channel configuration DOES NOT ALLOW THE ENTRY of an ATSC TV Format channel!!! SO how does one work around these programming errors???
Re: . . . Fetch Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION! [ In reply to ]
From: mythtv-dev-bounces@mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-dev-bounces@mythtv.org] On Behalf Of John Critchfield Jr.
Sent: 03 February 2014 05:44
To: mythtv-dev@mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv] . . . Fetch Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION!

After successfully configuring a Video Source in MythTV Backend configuration, and successfully Retrieving Lineups, there is an error in another section of Backend Config that seems like it should not be occurring.

In the MythTV Backend configuration, option 5 Input Connections, select an input connection to edit or add a new one, the Fetch Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION!

Using LinHes 8.1.1, which I think uses MythTV 0.27.

How can this obvious problem be corrected?

This means one must RELY on the Scan For Channels option, which does not create an automatic channel entry for a channel that is too weak to pick up on small antenna! And the manual channel configuration DOES NOT ALLOW THE ENTRY of an ATSC TV Format channel!!! SO how does one work around these programming errors???

Report it via your paid support channel. :)

Steve
Re: . . . Fetch Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION! [ In reply to ]
On 03/02/14 12:38, steve.goodey@openreach.co.uk wrote:
> [...]

In the past I have tried importing an earlier scan without success; but
have you configured an ATSC-capable capture card with a valid video
source? Is that the source which you are trying to populate?

Why not scan with the antenna that you intend to use for your recordings?

Indignation rarely produces good results here.

John P

Re: . . . Fetch Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION! [ In reply to ]
Please do not use custom email formatting when posting to a public
mailing list, or really anywhere. All it does is make people angry and
prejudicial against you, of course the heated content of your email,
combined with the fact that you chose to make it on the development list
for unknown reasons, doesn't help you either. For user support, you
want this list over here...

On 2/3/2014 12:43 AM, John Critchfield Jr. wrote:
> In the MythTV Backend configuration, option 5 Input Connections,
> select an input connection to edit or add a new one, the Fetch
> Channels From Listing Source option DOES NOT FUNCTION!

Of course it does. It just only works for channels that exist as a
single number, such as analog cable, or digital cable when used with a
virtual channel table. You're trying to access ATSC channels, which
means a physical channel and a stream ID. MythTV is not able to pull
both of these values, along with the handful of other necessary
settings, from Schedules Direct at this time.

> This means one must RELY on the Scan For Channels option

Correct.

> which doesnot create an automatic channel entry for a channel that
> is too weak to pick up on small antenna!

If you cannot pick up the channel in a scan, then you're not going to be
able to pick it up to record from either. This isn't like analog
television, where you can watch a fuzzy signal. Digital television
includes redundant data, so the stream can be recovered completely and
perfectly up to a certain percentage loss, after which you very rapidly
drop to nothing. If there's no potential to record the channel, there's
no reason to insert it into the database during a scan either, so
there's no harm done. Get a better antenna or a more sensitive tuner card.