Mailing List Archive

Myth TV onscreen Caller ID
while Im waiting for my equipment to arrive via several online retailers I had a phone call from a telemarketer, It made me get up, go to the phone and look at the caller ID, then decide whether I wanted to answer it, i chose to this time, but had I seen a notification pop up on the screen of my tv with information regarding the call I may have just let it go. I would think that something like this would be possible without intertupting the rest of the programming, and had i any programming knowledge I would even help out and start it, just an idea maybe one of you geniuses can take it farther than this post

Derrick
Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 04:01:30AM -0500, Derrick Rademaker wrote:
> while Im waiting for my equipment to arrive via several online
> retailers I had a phone call from a telemarketer, It made me
> get up, go to the phone and look at the caller ID, then decide
> whether I wanted to answer it, i chose to this time, but had I
> seen a notification pop up on the screen of my tv with information
> regarding the call I may have just let it go. I would think that
> something like this would be possible without intertupting the rest
> of the programming, and had i any programming knowledge I would even
> help out and start it, just an idea maybe one of you geniuses can
> take it farther than this post

If anyone else is interested in this I've got plenty of experience
with CallerID capable modems, and applications. I could whip up a
fairly simple display with the current OSD.

Comments?

--
Matthew S. Hallacy FUBAR, LART, BOFH Certified
http://www.poptix.net GPG public key 0x01938203
Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
I would also check this site out:
http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/jlc/

This app is for adding the caller ID feature to Tivo. You can also just
use this software to popup caller ID on your computer, which is what I
used it for. The trick is to get a reliable caller id modem that runs on
Linux (most are "winmodems").

Larry

Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
I have been planning to get around to trying to write a client compatible with MythTV for a YAC Server since I have one running already.

http://www.sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/

I have a few other projects to work on first so if someone else somes up with something else I will gladly use it.

Rob
From: "Derrick Rademaker" <technix@writeme.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 04:01:30 -0500

>while Im waiting for my equipment to arrive via several online retailers I had a phone call from a telemarketer, It made me get up, go to the phone and look at the caller ID, then decide whether I wanted to answer it, i chose to this time, but had I seen a notification pop up on the screen of my tv with information regarding the call I may have just let it go. I would think that something like this would be possible without intertupting the rest of the programming, and had i any programming knowledge I would even help out and start it, just an idea maybe one of you geniuses can take it farther than this post
>
>Derrick

Free 20MB Web Site Hosting and Personalized E-mail Service!
Get It Now At Doteasy.com http://www.doteasy.com/et/
Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
See

http://ecloud.org:8080/~ecloud/caller-id/

I wanted to do that too a couple years ago with XawTV....
I did it with broadcast packets so multiple clients all over the
LAN can display the incoming calls.

You could probably drive xosd with cidrecv, or use xcidrecv, but that's
a generic X solution, not specific to MythTV. If MythTV provides a
command-line method to put up an on-screen display (which I think it
should, for easy integration with external notification systems like
this), then you could just call that from cidrecv.

_______ Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD ecloud@bigfoot.com
(_ | |_) http://ecloud.org kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org
__) | | \________________________________________________________________
RE: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
I've got this done already...

I use vgetty, and xosd and xosdsh

It works awesome..i'm going to eventually get it to be a real "mythtv"
module.

(this is also my impetus for being able to remotely control the mythtv
frontend, because I want
To pause TV when the phone rings, and display the caller id)

-Mark

--
_______ Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD
ecloud@bigfoot.com
Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
Did you find a way to get vgetty to output the caller ID info as soon as
the modem receives it, or do you have the problem I do with it being
delayed by one ring? (It should be displayed after one ring, but instead
it's displayed after 2 rings.)

Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:10:25AM -0700, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> Did you find a way to get vgetty to output the caller ID info as soon as
> the modem receives it, or do you have the problem I do with it being
> delayed by one ring? (It should be displayed after one ring, but instead
> it's displayed after 2 rings.)

I don't even bother with vgetty, it's trivial to listen to the com port
and grab the encoded CID information, then decode it. If anyone is interested
in my perl callerid decoder i'll send it to them. both SDMF and MDMF are
supported.

Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:13:48PM -0600, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:10:25AM -0700, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> > Did you find a way to get vgetty to output the caller ID info as soon as
> > the modem receives it, or do you have the problem I do with it being
> > delayed by one ring? (It should be displayed after one ring, but instead
> > it's displayed after 2 rings.)
> >

> I don't even bother with vgetty, it's trivial to listen to the com port
> and grab the encoded CID information, then decode it. If anyone is interested
> in my perl callerid decoder i'll send it to them. both SDMF and MDMF are
> supported.

Sure but what if you want to handle voicemail on the same machine, with
the same modem?

Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
Caller-ID info is transmitted between the 1st & 2nd ring AFAIK.

Shawn Rutledge(e_cloud@yahoo.com)@2003.01.20 11:10:25 +0000:

Mark Ethan Trostler mark@zzo.com
Computing Solutions http://www.zzo.com
Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
On 20 Jan 2003 at 11:28, mark@zzo.com wrote:

> Caller-ID info is transmitted between the 1st & 2nd ring AFAIK.

That's correct

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
Has any effort been done to integrate the VOCP system? Looks like a nice
clean system. Even has text to speech options.

http://www.vocpsystem.com/screens.php

--Micah Morton
--Linux Network Test Engineer
--Intel Corp

Re: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
all the caller-id posts have spoken of modems, would it be possible to
build it in such a modular way that it would work with ISDN too?
all the tools for gettings this are available thrugh I4L (ISDN4Linux),
it's rather easy to get a caller-id when a call drops in.
but of course it's not compatible with modem-solutions.
here in europe ISDN is far more common as in the usa (think i read about
it once)

bye, stephan

RE: Myth TV onscreen Caller ID [ In reply to ]
I'm actually using the Perl::Vgetty module

I just have it thrown togather right now..but it semes to make the most
sense for
Integrating with mythtv...

Supposidly you can make a whole voicemail system in Perl::Vgetty

-Mark

And yea, caller id is between rings 1 and 2